Quantcast AKL Cashless Test Run

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

So do folks just walk around w/ huge wads of cash? Its not like WDW is the cheapest place in the world to have a good time. Pretty easy to drop 40-50 bucks every time you stop, on the low side.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings
    1990's, Dixie Landings, Misc Offsite

2. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    So do folks just walk around w/ huge wads of cash? Its not like WDW is the cheapest place in the world to have a good time. Pretty easy to drop 40-50 bucks every time you stop, on the low side.
    Define "huge wads of cash". There's a safe in the rooms that you can keep your cash in. If I'm expecting to be paying for a lot of people at a nice sit down restaurant, then I may have what some would consider a "huge wad of cash".
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

4. Likes VWL Mom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A grand or two? I mean, if you are paying for cash. Let's say you spend 100-200 at the parks between say breakfast/lunch and some souvenirs. Not hard to do. Then, go out for a nice dinner, you are out another 100-300 bucks, pretty easily. Plus do any shopping that evening, well, goes up from there. While I agree and understand this will affect some people, I can't believe its a very large percentage.

Plastic is easier, more convenient, has perks, does require staff to figure out how to give change, faster, and the way of the future. Now like I said, i won't notice as I use plastic for everything. I'm just saying, its got to be a small percentage of folks who will notice this change.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

A grand or two? I mean, if you are paying for cash. Let's say you spend 100-200 at the parks between say breakfast/lunch and some souvenirs. Not hard to do. Then, go out for a nice dinner, you are out another 100-300 bucks, pretty easily. Plus do any shopping that evening, well, goes up from there. While I agree and understand this will affect some people, I can't believe its a very large percentage.

Plastic is easier, more convenient, has perks, does require staff to figure out how to give change, faster, and the way of the future. Now like I said, i won't notice as I use plastic for everything. I'm just saying, its got to be a small percentage of folks who will notice this change.
    I usually take a break in the afternoon. So, I take what I will need with me in the morning. Then I will take what I need with me at night. I don't do a ton of shopping while I'm in the parks. I will generally look through all the parks to see what I like. Near the end of the trip, I see what things I still really want and what things don't really hold their appeal any more. Then I will make a "shopping day" and go get the things I want. The only exceptions to this are things I know I specifically want before I leave - such as my son's "First Christmas Together" ornament as his wedding present. I get those pretty early in the trip, so that I don't forget to get them. It cuts down on a lot of impulse buys.

Additionally, I don't carry all of the cash around by myself. I don't expect the people I travel with to be attached to my hip, so they get their amount for the day to buy what they need to buy - souvenirs, food, drinks, etc.

I admit that I am in the minority. I was married to an accountant and trusted him with our finances. We went through a nasty divorce where I discovered we had a lot of credit card debt. Since I made the majority of the money, I got the majority of the debt. Now that I have gotten myself out from under that, I never want to go back. Plus, with my memory problems, it is much easier for me to keep track of things in my hand instead of a credit card charge that disappears until the end of the month (and yes, I can keep receipts, but I will forget that I have them).

While it may be a small percentage of people, I don't see any real reason to alienate them.

7. Likes TikiLounger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, yeah, for you, your system of cash works. I'm not saying its not useful for some. However, I bet you could come up w/ a system that works just as well. Especially if Disney would make it easier to track your spending realtime w/ a MB, through the Disney App or something. Besides, you dropped the overspending husband, so its down to you to control spending. Sounds like you have that down pat.

But, I'm just saying, statistically, probably a small group (really small), and something that is just the way of the future anyways. And yes, Disney doesn't mind alienating a few small percentage of folks. You have to. Any decision will always alienate a few folks. They know most folks will adapt to whatever change.

I compare it to my spending in any given day.
    Breakfast, 30-40 bucks. Coke/water/coffee break at the park, 10 bucks, lunch, 30-70 bucks, bought me some new sunglasses at MK- 300 bucks, water/coke-10, 50- misc souvenirs, dinner, 100 bucks, drinks 100 bucks. I think that is pretty common for a lot of folks. So I just assume put it on my card. Else, I'd have to fly down with 5k in cash (when you think of room costs, car rental, etc) and I just don't want to hassle w/ that.

Before everyone jumps on the "that's elitist" bandwagon. Lets not forget, going to WDW is an elitist activity in itself.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

Especially if Disney would make it easier to track your spending realtime w/ a MB, through the Disney App or something. activity
    You can now view all your room charges on the MDE app. I was also able to get my room number there before I got the text.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

10. Likes texas211, baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, yeah, for you, your system of cash works. I'm not saying its not useful for some. However, I bet you could come up w/ a system that works just as well. Especially if Disney would make it easier to track your spending realtime w/ a MB, through the Disney App or something. Besides, you dropped the overspending husband, so its down to you to control spending. Sounds like you have that down pat.

But, I'm just saying, statistically, probably a small group (really small), and something that is just the way of the future anyways. And yes, Disney doesn't mind alienating a few small percentage of folks. You have to. Any decision will always alienate a few folks. They know most folks will adapt to whatever change.

I compare it to my spending in any given day.
    Breakfast, 30-40 bucks. Coke/water/coffee break at the park, 10 bucks, lunch, 30-70 bucks, bought me some new sunglasses at MK- 300 bucks, water/coke-10, 50- misc souvenirs, dinner, 100 bucks, drinks 100 bucks. I think that is pretty common for a lot of folks. So I just assume put it on my card. Else, I'd have to fly down with 5k in cash (when you think of room costs, car rental, etc) and I just don't want to hassle w/ that.

Before everyone jumps on the "that's elitist" bandwagon. Lets not forget, going to WDW is an elitist activity in itself.
    Everyone has their own style of vacationing. I wouldn't call it elitist. It is just what you enjoy.

If that system works for you, then that is great. I have found a system that works for me. Others have to find their own way. If Disney chooses to alienate them, that is their choice. There are a lot of people who are unhappy with Disney's direction, but I'm sure Star Wars land will bring in enough people to make up for the ones who are unhappy enough to leave.

12. Likes baldburke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Everyone has their own style of vacationing. I wouldn't call it elitist. It is just what you enjoy.

If that system works for you, then that is great. I have found a system that works for me. Others have to find their own way. If Disney chooses to alienate them, that is their choice. There are a lot of people who are unhappy with Disney's direction, but I'm sure Star Wars land will bring in enough people to make up for the ones who are unhappy enough to leave.
    Totally agree! If that's the case then vacationing in general is an "elitist activity." We recently went to NYC for a couple days and it was not cheap between transportation, lodging, food, shopping and a couple tours, attractions or shows and it is easily as expensive as Disney per day, per person. Even if we were to go to nearby Hershey Park for an overnight, although perhaps more economical, it's not cheap by any means if you stay at a Hershey hotel.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I usually take a break in the afternoon. So, I take what I will need with me in the morning. Then I will take what I need with me at night. I don't do a ton of shopping while I'm in the parks. I will generally look through all the parks to see what I like. Near the end of the trip, I see what things I still really want and what things don't really hold their appeal any more. Then I will make a "shopping day" and go get the things I want. The only exceptions to this are things I know I specifically want before I leave - such as my son's "First Christmas Together" ornament as his wedding present. I get those pretty early in the trip, so that I don't forget to get them. It cuts down on a lot of impulse buys.

Additionally, I don't carry all of the cash around by myself. I don't expect the people I travel with to be attached to my hip, so they get their amount for the day to buy what they need to buy - souvenirs, food, drinks, etc.

I admit that I am in the minority. I was married to an accountant and trusted him with our finances. We went through a nasty divorce where I discovered we had a lot of credit card debt. Since I made the majority of the money, I got the majority of the debt. Now that I have gotten myself out from under that, I never want to go back. Plus, with my memory problems, it is much easier for me to keep track of things in my hand instead of a credit card charge that disappears until the end of the month (and yes, I can keep receipts, but I will forget that I have them).

While it may be a small percentage of people, I don't see any real reason to alienate them.
    We vacation in a similar way. We're at the point now where we don't do too much impulse buying on our trips to Disney, so cash in the parks works for us. I don't know. I guess I was taught (by my parents and by experience) to bring cash along when we travel, and in everyday life, as well. I always made sure my kids had at least $25 in their pockets when they got old enough to be out in the world without us or on outings with other families, school functions, etc. I don't feel comfortable if I have to rely on plastic in case of an emergency or some unforeseen circumstance arises. As for vacations, the cash we bring is never all in one place. Some is left in the room safe and each one of us carries a bit with them. I know some people don't think this is a "safe" way to travel but it works for us. Actually, our debit and credit cards have been compromised so many times, over the years. This makes me much more nervous than the prospect of a little cash getting lost or stolen. At least with cash, it stops there and I feel more in control.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TikiLounger View Post
    We vacation in a similar way. We're at the point now where we don't do too much impulse buying on our trips to Disney, so cash in the parks works for us. I don't know. I guess I was taught (by my parents and by experience) to bring cash along when we travel, and in everyday life, as well. I always made sure my kids had at least $25 in their pockets when they got old enough to be out in the world without us or on outings with other families, school functions, etc. I don't feel comfortable if I have to rely on plastic in case of an emergency or some unforeseen circumstance arises. As for vacations, the cash we bring is never all in one place. Some is left in the room safe and each one of us carries a bit with them. I know some people don't think this is a "safe" way to travel but it works for us. Actually, our debit and credit cards have been compromised so many times, over the years. This makes me much more nervous than the prospect of a little cash getting lost or stolen. At least with cash, it stops there and I feel more in control.
    Yeah I never use my debit. Too much hassle if something gets stolen. But credit card, easy. Could always go the gift card approach, and put some, add some in a more controlled route.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't carry cash, how do you tip people bellhops and such?

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't carry cash, how do you tip people bellhops and such?
    Well, I carry a little cash on vacation (maybe a couple hundred bucks) for things like that, vending machines, etc. Plus, I stopped at a gas station once, that only accepted cash (in Florida). But not the amount it would take to pay for the whole trip. If i need more cash, ATM.
    ===================

2016 POR
    2015 CS
    2014 WDW-Offsite
    2014 Disneyland-offsite
    2014 CBR
    2013 Dolphin
    2012 POR
    2012 WDW-Offsite
    2011 ASMusic, POR

1998 Dixie Landings