Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
I haven't stayed at universal so won't comment on the hotels. However, I did price the rooms plus the extra charges for a 3 night 4 day stay. Just to give a little perspective, staying at WDW I would be getting 2 rooms at a mod (so DD and fiance could have a little privacy and for 2 bathrooms). At universal I looked at getting 2 rooms, way to costly, then 1 bedroom with sofa sleeper, then 1 room with 2 bedrooms. While I don't have the figures in front of me I do remember noting that with all the extra charges I could stay in a dulex at WDW or spend a week at a mod at WDW. The prices at universal only look better if you don't pay for parking, also if you want to park hop at universal that isn't included in the tickets that come with the room so that is another charge. So after all this I looked at staying offsite near universal, still have to pay to park at their theme parks or be at the mercy of hotel shuttles. Just another consideration you have to pay to park at the hotels near universal. After considering my options decided to just stay at WDW and drive to universal.
Back to OP's question if you can afford it and it will keep peace in the family do the universal as I am sure they are very nice hotels. Maybe you could make a deal to stay at WDW next trip.
Park Hopping is not included when staying at Disney Hotels either. You have to pay extra for that also.

What people who have not stayed on Universal property are missing is that all three of Universal Hotels are deluxe not moderate. So if you want to compare Disney prices to Universal prices you must look at the Poly & Grand to be looking at apples to apples. Anything else is not an accurate comparision.

Also, FOTL access all day long is a huge perk as is not having to take transportation to get to a park. That alone saves you at least an hour to two hours everyday if you park hop.

The only thing that does bother me at Universal is paying for parking, but we travel a lot and most of the better hotels charge for parking.

For people who are bothered by the parking charge.....here is what we do.....we don't get our rental car until we are checking out of the hotel.....while at Universal you do not need a car at all....everything is a very easy and short walk. We never pay for parking and the hotels have a Hertz counter right in their lobbies. Plus other rental car companies will pick you up from the Universal Hotels and bring you to their cars.