Quantcast Why DVC does or doesn't make sense for me - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have looked into DVC extensively and I have chosen not to buy in. For one I do not spend as much in lodging at Disney as I would per year for DVC, and as a pp mentioned it is not worth ot to use the points outside of Disney. Another reason that I have chosen not to buy in is that at the time I was looking into it they were selling BLT, well I do not book my WDW anymore than 2-3 months in advance. I felt that I would not be able to stay at my home resort and therefore not worth the money. My ultimate reason for not buying in, I do not see myself going to WDW every year for the next 50 years.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My mom got the bug this last trip. She is not made of money and her investments, social security, and pension need to help her last for the rest of her life. When we looked at all the options from the cost she given, it amounted to almost $10k down and about $250 per month of lost income. Realize that this is not the maintenance cost. The $250 comes form the monthly income loss from selling part of the investment, the monthly maintenance fees, the monthly payments on the other half of financing. Running the calculations, we could rent the same number of points from other members for $2000 a year vs the $3000 it would cost her in monthly payments.

It is definitely not a go for us. The only way we can see it being viable is if the initial payment is throw away money. Who has $20k to throw away besides the wealthy.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my two-cents, for what it is worth ...

When I purchased back in 1998, I was not looking to buy when I took the tour and met with the Sales Rep but it was the flexibility that sold me.

I was single then and did not need a large place, so the lowest point allotment (150 at the time) was perfect.

I am no longer single, and we use it at least once a year for long weekends mostly, to get our Disney fix, where a studio room is perfect. In addition to WDW visits, we have been to Vero Beach, Hilton Head, New York City and Paris with DVC. Further, we have upgraded to one bedrooms, when the need arises and also booked additional rooms when traveling with family and friends.

This past year, for example, we took a cruise with family and friends, and we were able to use the points for 3 studios, arriving the Friday before we sailed and again, on the Saturday, upon our return. That was a substancial savings to my travel party and I was glad that I could make that happen.

Doing the math, as I recall, a studio at the Boardwalk went for $325. per night. $325. x 2 = $650 x 3 = $1,950. My HOA dues are $803 annually.

Budgets and lifestyles need to be considered when purchasing timeshares as timeshares are not one size fits all. People considering this purchase should look at the big picture, and to the future. You are setting yourself up for future vacations using today's dollars.

Hope this helps.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98)

2010 - BWV - Valentines Day
    2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
    2008 - BWV (2)
    2007 - BWV
    2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
    2005 - HH, BWV (2)
    2003 - BWV
    2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
    2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
    2000 - BWV
    1999 - BWV, HH, VB
    1998 - BWV, Swan

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering. How much do you pay? I know it is none of my business. But with my timeshare at Wyndham I can book at the Bonnet Creek Resort (Disney Property) tomorrow if I needed to. As a matter of fact, almost anywhere in the world. But the numbers I have seen for DVC is totally not worth it. I don't come anywhere to what DVC owners are paying. Like I said in an earlier post I love Disney, but I don't see any value except the Disney name and perks. If I wanted to pay that much I would just buy Disney stock...

Post Thanks / Like

So we just got back from WDW and I figured while we were there we would spend a morning with the folks at DVC.

I was quite shocked at something - this actually changed my mind about DVC! What I hadn't been able to find before was the points table for trading your DVC points in for non-Disney vacations and what other resorts you can trade for. Before seeing the tables, I had been under the impression that using DVC for non-Disney trips wasn't worth it. This is far from the truth.

In a nutshell, trading for a week for a vacation outside of Disney properties will cost you about the same number of points as any trip within the Disney Properties. This level of flexibility has really changed my mind about DVC. These sorts of vacations can be re extremely expensive to do without staying in ****** hotels. Not to mention the number of nearby resorts that we could use for a long weekend or cheap vacation.

I don't plan on doing WDW every year, but I certainly see myself taking some sort of vacation every year. I'd love to have the flexibility to go to a resort pretty much anywhere on the planet for a known, fixed price, and really only have to worry about airfare.

I still don't think that buying directly from DVC is the best option - you can easily get a much better deal through resales.

Off for resale shopping!
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I'm glad you were able to find that. They must have changed that since I went, because even the DVC CM I was dealing with in Jan 2009 even told me it didn't make since to get it if I was going to use it for a large %age of non disney hotels.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've got the book, so I can give you some insight on it

In talking to the DVC CM about it and reviewing the charts, it appears that the trades to non-Disney resorts are based on the point charts for everything else. The CM we talked to told us that they base it mostly on the averages of the point charts for Disney properties, which is pretty consistent with what I actually see on the charts.

It's probably slightly more points to go with this route to take a vacation, but the up side is that their 'peak seasons' may vary from WDW, so you might be able to find yourself a week at some exotic international destination for like 130pts if you catch the right times.

The big plus I think is that the current max for a week is 160pts. It's pricey, but worth it when you take into consideration that you're staying somewhere that's extremely expensive for the same price as a WDW vacation with a nice view.

The list of resorts that you can trade to is astounding - over 500 resorts all over the US and the world. There's about 15 or so in Hawaii, a whole bunch in the Carribean, Greence, Italy, the UK (including a castle!), Australia... the list goes on.

You can also use it for Adventures By Disney, although the point totals are astronomical! (500+ PER PERSON) Even with the points it would take, it's very tempting to rent points and give it a try
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of 5 and have stayed deluxe our last 3-4 trips because of the larger rooms (and amenities). I want to bring up a couple points that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned (or I've missed them)...

A) You don't have to purchase DVC from Disney. You can get points much cheaper/pt (and in lesser amounts) from resalers (do a google search for DVC resale).

B) No one has mentioned that you can RENT points from DVC members. There are other message boards that handle that. In fact, that's what we're looking to do for our trip next year.

With those two things being said, here's the comparison I've made... 'Rack Rate' for a standard view at CR for the 5 nights we want to go next year is $1690 (regular season).

Renting points (at the going rate of $10/pt) for the same five nights @ AKV is $1440. To me, renting is a no-brainer. Yes, there's some risk, but there's ways to limit that risk.

So for those comparing the 'rack rates' of the Villas vs. purchasing DVC, yes, the purchasing makes sense there. But you might want to consider renting.
    -------<br />June 05 - WL<br />Sept. 01 - Poly<br />Sept. 97 - CR<br />May 96 - Off Site<br />June 94 - Off Site<br />June 93 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

So, once again, my DH and I have been considering buying into DVC in the spring.

Here are our reasons for waiting.

One, we would have to finance it. For what we see needing in points (about 230), it would cost us about $13000, on average, for a re-sale. We considered putting $4K down, and financing the rest over 2 or 3 years.

Then we did the math, and REALLY understood what people were talking about when they said DVC doesn't make sense, if you have to finance it.

A 3yr loan would be about $300/month, so $3600/year. Add in annual dues of about $1100, so that's $4800/year. Plus the cost of tickets ($1000 for family of 4, 8-10 days), airfare (b/w $800 and $1200) & food (figure at least $120/day)- you're up to about $7200 for the trip per year.

Now, our trips usually cost us between $4000-$5000 for 10 or 11 nights, 5 of which are at a moderate, 5 at a deluxe like AKL.

So, over the course of 3yrs of financing, we'd spend an extra $2200 a year (or more) for our trips.

Instead, if we save $300/month (instead of paying it to a bank for the loan) for the next 3 years, and buy in then (when our financed purchase would be paid off) and continue taking trips on our own, we'll have saved about $6000 on our trips, pay for the purchase in cash, and THEN, the purchase would make sense and have a cost-savings for us down the road.

So -- as much as I HATE waiting, it's what we will continue to do -- and I'll enjoy staying at my favorite moderates until then.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

My parents own DVC and my brother and I are on the deed for estate planning reasons.

They first looked at DVC back in the early 90's when it first become available. They didn't end up buying until 2005. For them, to buy before then just didn't make sense. As a family of four, we could easily stay at a any hotel without being cramped. Plus, at that point in their lives, they would have needed to finance the purchase.

Once my brother and I finished college and moved out, they had the money to pay for DVC with cash, so they went for it. Also, when I got married and DH and I started a family, the family of four that could stay in any hotel became a family of 6. My parents bought enough points that we can get a grand villa each year or each go on our own trips in a studio or 1 bedroom.

The final (and probably most important) reason that my parents bought into DVC is the memories we can make as a family. My grandparents have a timeshare and so many of our amazing family vacations when I was younger were possible because my grandparents took us with them on vacation. My parents know how tight money can be with youg kids and wanted to make the same opportunity available to my brother and I and our families. Now they can make sure that their grandkids will be brought up going to and loving Disney!

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC Makes sense and we did it!

Just passed through ROFR with Disney and we're SSR "members" now! 120 points. Thanks to TIMESHARE store. Just 2 months ago we made our 3rd trip as a family in 3 years. That was my wife's 16th trip and my 6th. It made and makes sense for us. AND we're not limited to Disney...we plan to go to Europe in a few years, using our DVC points.
    BUT it has to make sense to you.
    KJB

Post Thanks / Like

my husband and i bought into dvc in 2005 and i can honestly tell you it was the best decision we made. we go every yeart to wdw and a few times we have taken family with us. In 2006 we invited my family and there were 13 of us!! we were thrilled that we were able to provide the rooms and they just had to pay for their tickets and meals. we are planning on a huge family trip in dec 2011 22 of us going!! what wonderful memories we have made by joining dvc.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't checked into any prices for a while, but has the recent phenomenon of people giving away their timeshares placed any downward pressure on DVC resale prices? I know DVC isn't the standard timeshare, etc., so you don't have to defend it. I'm also not knockng DVC, so no flames, please. Just wondering if the timeshare 'bear market', if you will, has made DVC any more affordable?
    Last edited by Dixie Springs; 07-03-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typos as usual...

Post Thanks / Like

As of March 2011, the benefits for those who bought resale (after a date in March) were decreased. They could only use at DVC resorts. The points could not be used at any other resort (no hotels, no concierge collection, no cruises, etc.).

The other forums specifically dealing with DVC (disboards and mouseowners) has a great deal of information regarding prices that people have been able to purchase their points from (either direct with additional benefits or through the resale market).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starry_solo View Post
    As of March 2011, the benefits for those who bought resale (after a date in March) were decreased. They could only use at DVC resorts. The points could not be used at any other resort (no hotels, no concierge collection, no cruises, etc.).

The other forums specifically dealing with DVC (disboards and mouseowners) has a great deal of information regarding prices that people have been able to purchase their points from (either direct with additional benefits or through the resale market).
    For clarification, while it's true that DVC points purchased through resale after March 21 cannot be used for non-DVC Disney hotels, Disney cruises, or hotels in the Adventurer Collection, these points can still be used at RCI, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest resorts.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    I haven't checked into any prices for a while, but has the recent phenomenon of people giving away their timeshares placed any downward pressure on DVC resale prices? I know DVC isn't the standard timeshare, etc., so you don't have to defend it. I'm also not knockng DVC, so no flames, please. Just wondering if the timeshare 'bear market', if you will, has made DVC any more affordable?
    I haven't seen any significant downward moves in resale prices for awhile now. They did drop pretty dramatically not long after the rest of the real estate market collapsed, but nothing major since then that I've noticed.

The other thing is, the prices for the more desirable resorts still remain pretty strong. It's the older or less desirable spots that seem to have taken the biggest hit.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    The other thing is, the prices for the more desirable resorts still remain pretty strong. It's the older or less desirable spots that seem to have taken the biggest hit.
    While the price of the "more desirable" resorts (in your eyes, anyway) is not at as low as say Vero Beach or Saratoga Springs, they most definitely are cheaper than buying through Disney. Bay Lake Towers is being sold at $130-140 by Disney, $ 95-99 through resale.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to be a DVC member, but.

1) we are unable to travel to WDW but once every 2-3 years, and probably less in the future, and

2) We don't do very much timeshare type travel anywhere else either. We do mainly long road trips with spontaneous route changes. and wilderness camping trips. We do travel to a beach somewhere usually every year with extended family. (I would never do a Disney trip together with all of them)

That's the reason we have not seriously considered buying into DVC.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I have rented DVC points for 7 of our 15+ WDW vacations. It is the only way we go now.

We have looked very seriously at buying around 100 points on the resale market.

Has anyone done an analysis comparing buying DVC and renting DVC? We typically rent for $9 - $11 per point.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    While the price of the "more desirable" resorts (in your eyes, anyway) is not at as low as say Vero Beach or Saratoga Springs, they most definitely are cheaper than buying through Disney. Bay Lake Towers is being sold at $130-140 by Disney, $ 95-99 through resale.
    I meant desirable in terms of their demand on the open market. I actually happen to like SSR quite a bit (which I think you and I have discussed before), so it wasn't really in my eyes I was referring to.

But your point is well taken ... buying resale is significantly cheaper than buying direct from Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    I would love to be a DVC member, but.

1) we are unable to travel to WDW but once every 2-3 years, and probably less in the future.
    This alone is a good enough reason not to buy, IMO. Yes, you can do other things with your points (like rent them or bank them or trade out) on the off-years, but where the real value comes into play for owning DVC (IMO) is when you consistently use your points to stay at DVC properties.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJackson View Post
    My family and I have rented DVC points for 7 of our 15+ WDW vacations. It is the only way we go now.

We have looked very seriously at buying around 100 points on the resale market.

Has anyone done an analysis comparing buying DVC and renting DVC? We typically rent for $9 - $11 per point.
    I've tried, but honestly it's a pretty tough scenario to model because of all the inflationary and economic unknowns you have to deal with.

It also depends a lot on where/when/how you stay, what you anticipate your future needs are for accomodations, and how long you think you might be vacationing at WDW into the future.

Because let's remember, the real value in DVC comes once your membership is paid for (assuming you finance). In the first 10 years your total cost of ownership is going to be a lot higher as compared to just renting points, but predicting what happens beyond that period is where it gets dicey.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: