Quantcast Australia coming to AK?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Australia coming to AK?

I have always thought this would be an awesome addition to AK; hope it turns out to be true!

---
    New Continent At Disney Animal Kingdom?
    Park Goers Could Soon Go 'Down Under'

WESH 2 News
    November 29, 2010

WINTER PARK, Fla. -- More expansion could be on the horizon at Walt Disney World, according to plans unearthed by a blog that covers the resort.

One of the biggest blogs that covers all of the theme park's happenings ... reports that a new continent is planned for the Animal Kingdom.

The blog said workers have already started clearing land on an area that will eventually represent Australia.

Attractions in the new area could include a whale or dolphin show and a marsupial exhibit, according to the blog.

Disney is also in the process of expanding the Magic Kingdom. The company also recently unveiled images of the planned "Hyperion Wharf," which will replace its downtown "Pleasure Island" attraction.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that blog and all the reasons they gave, but right now it's just a rumor. There are plans for this, and have been for a few years, but whether it will actually get the green light remains to be see. I'll stay skeptical until the official announcement is made (and even then a little skeptical).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Australia has been rumoured for a while as the next addition to AK. I would imagine if they are going to green lighting it, it won't be before the Fantasyland Expansion is complete.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it will be located near the also oft rumored beastly kingdom. (not saying i don't want it to happen, but when it comes AK rumors seeing is believing).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

There's no doubt that there will be an expansion at AK some time in the future. But I'm skeptical that this is it. There is NO backstage chatter about this among the CMs.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's some quality reporting there. Their source is from a fanboy's blog who doesn't cite any sources, then adds his own ideas for what he thinks the new land should look like. Classy!
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

One word: no. Not on the front burner, not on the back burner. Not greenlit, not standing idle at a red light. Nothing. Not happening. Nothing to see here. Australia would be boring anyway.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    One word: no. Not on the front burner, not on the back burner. Not greenlit, not standing idle at a red light. Nothing. Not happening. Nothing to see here. Australia would be boring anyway.
    Oh I so disagree on the boring part!
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    Oh I so disagree on the boring part!
    A whale or dolphin show? Another savannah safari in the outback? How will Austraila be exciting? And believe me, if you read some of the details that have been proposed for a possible Austraila expansion, you'll agree. One giant snoozefest.

Bring on Mysterious Island/Beastly Kingdom hybrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I'd like to see a new area added to AK I'd like to see Beastly Kingdom added vs Australia. To me if they want to put Australia in WDW put it in Epcot with a nice big area and ride and breathe some new life into World Showcase.
    Disney nut since 81 and DVC member since 05

Post Thanks / Like

I could see this. Knowing how WDI likes to tie in things w/ characters, it would be an easy tie-in to Nemo. That being said, I don't see any marine-life exhibits at DAK. Firstly, Epcot already has The Seas w/ NAF. Secondly, Sea World has a lock on the marine life type exhibits. It really wouldn't make sense to me to add marine life exhibits given that they would be competing not only w/ SW but also w/ Epcot.

I always thought Australia made a more logical choice for WS at Epcot, though I think Spain is the most likely country to be next in line there.

I, like most, would prefer a Beastily Kingdom addition, but I just don't see that happening, at least not in its original form. I think EE shows that they don't mind incorporating some mythical creatures into DAK, but that they won't have their own "land."

I think it would be neat to go somewhere a bit more exotic than Australia. Perhaps South America. Their could be all kinds of tie-ins there with the Amazon, Incan civilization, etc. Some great potential there for new attractions, new theming, etc.
    Recent Disney Trips
    -May 2007 (Pop Century)
    -Oct. 2007 (Saratoga Springs)
    -Dec. 2007 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Oct. 2008 (Caribbean Beach)
    -Feb. 2010 (Pop Century)
    -Feb. 2011 (AKL)
    -Feb. 2012 (DL - Paradise Pier Hotel)
    -Dec. 2012 (Coronado Springs)
    -Oct. 2014 (Coronado Springs)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws View Post
    I, like most, would prefer a Beastily Kingdom addition, but I just don't see that happening, at least not in its original form. I think EE shows that they don't mind incorporating some mythical creatures into DAK, but that they won't have their own "land."

I think it would be neat to go somewhere a bit more exotic than Australia. Perhaps South America. Their could be all kinds of tie-ins there with the Amazon, Incan civilization, etc. Some great potential there for new attractions, new theming, etc.
    I couldn't agree more, South America would be a much better fit in DAK for numerous reasons including the many cultures, animals and the largest natural feature, the Amazon river.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I think Australia is interesting because of its animals; zoos here in the US all have tigers and gorillas, but rarely wombats, koalas, tasmanian devils, platypuses, etc. I never saw most of those things until I actually traveled there!

In my opinion, it wouldn't make much sense to put Australia in the WS because culturally it is pretty similar to UK and USA.
    ~ valerie ~

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea but will only believe it when I see it.

I do think its funny that WESH is using a blog as their source...journalism is dead.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    I think Australia is interesting because of its animals; zoos here in the US all have tigers and gorillas, but rarely wombats, koalas, tasmanian devils, platypuses, etc. I never saw most of those things until I actually traveled there!

In my opinion, it wouldn't make much sense to put Australia in the WS because culturally it is pretty similar to UK and USA.
    How would you showcase those animals in a land dedicated to Austraila? A walk through? Can't do a safari. Those animals are too small. And we already have a safari in DAK. Nemo only makes sense for Austraila. Problem is, Theatre in the Wild was reconfigured and enclosed for Nemo the Musical. And that show is located in Asia/Dinoland. Would be no where near Austraila. And how would you fill an entire area up? What kind of ride, and yes there would have to be a ride, would you make for Austraila? Again, if you heard what I read about the kind of ride that someone proposed for Austraila in DAK, you'd be glad there is no Austraila being developed.

The best and most obvious area for expansion is Camp Minnie-Mickey. There are plans for that area and those plans DO NOT include Austraila. Pocahontas did not close to save money. It closed because that area was about to get a face lift. But these plans were once again put on hold.

I cannot see Austraila being a must do addition to DAK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I like the idea but will only believe it when I see it.

I do think its funny that WESH is using a blog as their source...journalism is dead.
    The thing that is even sadder is, this blog is only a fanboy's dream. Not even something that is coming for a real source. This blogger only posted what he could envision for an Austrailian area, not something Disney actually has in the plans. That is top notch journalism.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    How would you showcase those animals in a land dedicated to Austraila? A walk through? Can't do a safari. Those animals are too small. And we already have a safari in DAK. Nemo only makes sense for Austraila. Problem is, Theatre in the Wild was reconfigured and enclosed for Nemo the Musical. And that show is located in Asia/Dinoland. Would be no where near Austraila. And how would you fill an entire area up? What kind of ride, and yes there would have to be a ride, would you make for Austraila? Again, if you heard what I read about the kind of ride that someone proposed for Austraila in DAK, you'd be glad there is no Austraila being developed.

The best and most obvious area for expansion is Camp Minnie-Mickey. There are plans for that area and those plans DO NOT include Austraila. Pocahontas did not close to save money. It closed because that area was about to get a face lift. But these plans were once again put on hold.

I cannot see Austraila being a must do addition to DAK.

A walk-through. I actually did a tree-top (canopy, I guess) walk through of a koala habitat in Australia and it was really cool. AK has walk-throughs in Africa and Asia already, and if I'm not mistaken, they are pretty popular.

The theme absolutely doesn't have to be Nemo. It could be a mining town, or an outback town, or maybe a surfing village. I am not an imagineer but I am sure they could think up some kind of ride.

However, I am someone who enjoys animals and walk-throughs. Beastly Kingdom has always sounded ridiculous and dumb to me. Not a fan of fantasy, at all.
    ~ valerie ~

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that Disney would have the sense to NOT use whales and dolphins.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    I hope that Disney would have the sense to NOT use whales and dolphins.
    Yes, this! I can't stand Sea World because of that. If Disney stoops to that level...honestly, I'll boycott DAK...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that I would hope they don't use whales or dolphins because of all the trouble that happened at Sea World, but how is that any different than keeping crocodiles, elephants or hippos on display? Sure, the crocs and hippos (and all the other animals in the AK habitats) aren't doing tricks, but they're still confined.
    I don't want to start a debate on whether animals should be kept in zoos or exhibits because I actually LIKE what AK does for education and conservation... I just mean, why say no to one type of animal, and yes to others?

But back to the original topic, Australia might be a neat addition to Animal Kingdom but I would imagine it would be a smaller area and not necessarily something with an E-ticket ride included.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: