Quantcast Disney Parks Announcements - Let The Memories Begin! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    We at INTERCOT have been invited and have attended previous press events, and they were awesome.
    Melanie just figured out why it stunk... Intercot wasn't there!
    Jeff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

No theme also allows for bigger events to actually be special. Like the 15th and 20th etc, those were huge marketing campaigns and they felt so special. You went home and told everyone, "ya I was there for the 15th anniversary party and they had a special parade and fireworks, etc". It made it an event to go to. Now everyone expects some new giveaway or tie in and I think they take away from true events that should be celebrated.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Now everyone expects some new giveaway or tie in and I think they take away from true events that should be celebrated.
    Not to mention the financial drain it is, and how it distracts them from the fundamentals that the company was built on.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It's not really a financial drain, though. A marketing campaign (especially one as social media-oriented as this one) costs nothing compared to the only other way Disney has to lure guests to their parks ... building new attractions.

This all started with the Millennium Celebration. It was a wild success and kept the parks packed to the gills until 9/11 hit and killed the tourism industry.

So Disney went, "Huh ... for a few bucks in T.V. and print advertising we can get millions of folks down here. We don't need to sink tens of millions of dollars into those silly new rides and attractions we used to build. Now we can just tweak a parade or open a new store, hype it up as "something new", slap a marketing slogan over top of it and we'll pack 'em in!"

And it actually worked ... the 100 Years of Magic was a big hit as was Year of a Million Dreams. But that only lasts for so long ... these last two or three have been totally lame. No one is going to Disney World simply for the chance to have their picture projected on the Castle. I think they just couldn't resist acting like accountants ... "This thing is working and we're making money! How can we make even more?? Well ... these celebrations and the associated marketing are costing us $x per year. If we cut that by 20% that money would go right to our bottom line!"

And so the celebrations get progressively cheaper and lamer as time goes by.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I won't be taking any nighttime pics of the castle on my next trip. Who wants a picture of a castle with a bunch of random families on it?
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    Guess I won't be taking any nighttime pics of the castle on my next trip. Who wants a picture of a castle with a bunch of random families on it?
    Agreed. Some of the best pictures we have are of the castle lit up in the different colors.

Lame, lame, lame.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's not really a financial drain, though. A marketing campaign (especially one as social media-oriented as this one) costs nothing compared to the only other way Disney has to lure guests to their parks ... building new attractions.
    Indeed. I was not putting it in the right perspective. I would rather they expand the Traditions classes in lieu of trumped up marketing nonsense, at least. That cost may be comparable, but I don't really know. That's something they can't advertise, or necessarily track in terms of ROI, but it is probably more important than anything else they do.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

This all started with the Millennium Celebration. It was a wild success and kept the parks packed to the gills until 9/11 hit and killed the tourism industry.

So Disney went, "Huh ... for a few bucks in T.V. and print advertising we can get millions of folks down here. We don't need to sink tens of millions of dollars into those silly new rides and attractions we used to build. Now we can just tweak a parade or open a new store, hype it up as "something new", slap a marketing slogan over top of it and we'll pack 'em in!"

And it actually worked ... the 100 Years of Magic was a big hit as was Year of a Million Dreams. But that only lasts for so long ... these last two or three have been totally lame. No one is going to Disney World simply for the chance to have their picture projected on the Castle. I think they just couldn't resist acting like accountants ... "This thing is working and we're making money! How can we make even more?? Well ... these celebrations and the associated marketing are costing us $x per year. If we cut that by 20% that money would go right to our bottom line!"

And so the celebrations get progressively cheaper and lamer as time goes by.
    This is TDO in a nutshell. They find the cheap way out. Remember, this is the management team that slashed majority of the funds for Space Mountain. This is the management team that wanted a barebones refurb of Star Tours. This is the management team that wanted no part of FLE. This is the management team that refuses to fix the yeti. See a pattern? I think it is high time we Disney fans finally speak up. I think we either need a voice like Al Lutz is for Disneyland, some sort of social media outlet, some sort of Save Disney campaign that Roy waged. We need to send a message loud and clear, we are not going to take it anymore.

Write to Iger. Write to Tom Staggs. Let them know your anger. Write to the national media. Write to Jason Garcia at the Orlando Sentinel. Post videos on You Tube of the disaster this current management team has made of WDW. I'm sorry to say it but we need to shame these people into action. And if not, we have to shame Iger and Staggs to the point where they must cut out certain managers from WDW. Let's stand up as one voice and show Disney we have had enough.

OK, now I am stepping down off my soap box. Rant is over.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? You wouldn't buy a DVD of this nighttime show especially if your picture is one of up to 500 pictures they can use on a daily basis?

I wouldn't be surprised if:

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, don't forget to stop by Exposition Hall on your way out to purchase a Keepsake DVD of tonight's performance featuring pictures of YOU, our guests!

People will eat that up! OMG! There's our picture! People will be tripping over each other to take pictures that might make it on the castle that night. And of course, buy them since they will be memories of their trip.

It's not all that hard to do, they will be compiling the pictures throughout the day and be able to produce the DVDs on demand pretty much. Start again the next day!

CHA CHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Ian has summed it up well the celebrations are getting lamer. This management has finally shown that it has none of the creative thinking that was the true basis of the company. To have gotten where it did it needed Walt's amazing creativity pared with Roy O's financial management. They left enough of a legacy that the company could keep going on it for quite some time.

But the board needed to ensure that the creativity remained at the leadership position. Today's lame, actually it would need to improve to be lame, announcement the company has proved that the creativity has disappeared. It started a few years ago with the completely unimaginative Imagination Pavillion, weak exhibits in Innoventions, the closure of Pleasure Island with apparently no firm replacement plan and the troubled FLE project, among others.

This company has no future unless it gets its sense of creative leadership back. So yes, write all the letters and emails but also, if you have Disney stock, even 1 share, if you get a proxy form then vote against re-electing the board. That sends a message that the board is not doing a good enough job of holding its management to the highest standards of quality.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Well if the negative feedback on their Facebook page and Twitter feed doesn't have any effect, I can't imagine a letter writing campaign will.

I keep trying to remind myself that they did just make a big announcement with the huge Fantasyland expansion ... maybe we were being a bit greedy thinking this was going to be more big news.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    This company has no future unless it gets its sense of creative leadership back.
    I certainly mean no disrespect by this at all, but if you are feeling this way Disney really does have problems. You've been one of their staunchest defenders as best I can tell, so for you to be having such a visceral, negative reaction tells me an awful lot.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question,is this nighttime show in lieu of Wishes or in addition to Wishes? If they are doing away with Wishes this is saving even more money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potzie View Post
    Quick question,is this nighttime show in lieu of Wishes or in addition to Wishes? If they are doing away with Wishes this is saving even more money.
    No, it's in addition to Wishes (or whatever nighttime fireworks are showing). No announcement was made on times, or even the beginning date for this, unless I missed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    That is ok, not missing much I assume. After reading the press release, I am very underwhelmed. Unless they have something else in store, this is a waste of a press conference.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly mean no disrespect by this at all, but if you are feeling this way Disney really does have problems. You've been one of their staunchest defenders as best I can tell, so for you to be having such a visceral, negative reaction tells me an awful lot.
    No problem Ian. I have had a love of Disney since I was 6 or 7 and it feels like that company has pulled away the under pinning of that loyalty and a part of me had been taken away. As I read more it just gets worse.

People should read the photo submission agreement. Basically you give up all right to your photos, texts videos and whatever and they don't have to give you royalties. Worse, they can give them to any third party they want. You could end up as an ad for any company. It just feels like complete exploitation and lack of concern for their customers.

It took a lot and the blinders are now off. A very sad and upsetting day for me.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    I have had a love of Disney since I was 6 or 7 and it feels like that company has pulled away the under pinning of that loyalty and a part of me had been taken away.
    I'm exactly the same way. I just got there faster than you did.

I've loved Disney since I was so young I don't even remember it. Some of my very, very first memories are of watching Winnie the Pooh filmstrips (yes ... I said filmstrips!) on this little Fisher Price record player/filmstrip thing I had. I remember my first trip to Disney World like it was yesterday even though it was actually in 1974.

But for too long now I've watched Walt's original vision for the company slowly stripped away, replaced by the same type of rampant profit taking and small-minded corporate thinking that takes place in every other mega-conglomerate across the globe.

I once thought Disney was special, but now ... it's just another corporation out to line the pockets of its execs at the expense of anyone and everyone. And for me? Well I'm a grownup. I'm used to disappointment. I can take it. But I do feel sorry for my children who will never, ever know how special Disney World once was.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

They seriously pay people to come with these ideas geez! I could have be doing 35 other things and half asleep and come up with something better than this one!

Who cares about strangers pictures being projected on the castle I mean let's be real here do I want to go ride Splash Mountain or watch some pictures of some Random Family from Nebraska? If I want to look at random starngers vaction pictures I can stay home and search Google Images!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

No kidding. I want no other people I have to explain in my postcards at christmas. Nor do I want my family in someone else's christmas card picture...
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Well if the negative feedback on their Facebook page and Twitter feed doesn't have any effect, I can't imagine a letter writing campaign will.

I keep trying to remind myself that they did just make a big announcement with the huge Fantasyland expansion ... maybe we were being a bit greedy thinking this was going to be more big news.

This.... The thing is, I think we were all hoping for a FLE announcement... We didn't get that... We got boring, dull information we already knew... The projection show on the castle will be a miserable bore and hopefully a failure.. With the failure at Chef Mickey's and this inevitable failure of plastering photos on the castle, will we finally get some new management in this place???
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine anyone actually submitting photos AFTER reading the photo release form. I mean, sell the photos to any third party? Are they kidding???

No thank you! I don't want my home videos to end up as "B roll" for the Disney company or anyone else!

Oh, and for the record, it seems like Disney doesn't know about Google Images yet. I mean, they just figured out Power Point.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: