Quantcast MLB Playoffs 2009 - Page 14

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Christine ... Ibanez only makes $6.5 million this year. CC Sabathia will make $25 million. A-Rod will make like $27 million.

Comparatively speaking, I don't think Ibanez is that highly paid. Also consider this ... did the Phillies prevent any other team from signing him by paying him what they paid him? Doubtful.
    Well, if you are going to compare every free agent salary to what the Yankees pay, no one would be seen as high paid, and I do think other teams pay very high salaries.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just about 4 hours until first pitch tonight, in case anyone's interested in what is going on between the white lines, as opposed to the ledger books...

I think Charlie Manual has a HUGE bit of baseball fan in him..like everyone else, he wants to see how Pedro fares at Yankee Stadium. While it makes perfect sense to go lefty-righty-lefty from a pure stratigic standpoint..I think there's a part of Cholly that's just plain old curious.
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Um....indivdual yearly salaries for the 2009 Phillies.
    ~ Joe Blanton - $5.475 million
    ~ Shane Victorino - $3.125 million
    ~ Jayson Werth - $3 million, includes a $1 million signing bonus
    Just highlighting these 3 as they are arbitration eligible players and these contracts are 1 year deals. Had any of these players had the arbitrator determine their salary, it would have probably been higher. This was Werth's last year of arbitration, so he is a free agent after the World Series.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Um....indivdual yearly salaries for the 2009 Phillies.

~ Raul Ibanez - $8.5 million, includes a $2 million signing bonus
    ~ Brett Myers - $12 million
    ~ Joe Blanton - $5.475 million
    ~ Jamie Moyer - $6.5 million
    ~ Pedro Feliz - $5 million
    ~ Shane Victorino - $3.125 million
    ~ Jayson Werth - $3 million, includes a $1 million signing bonus

Oh, and let's not forget a RESERVE OF, Geoff Jenkins, at $6.75 million

And by the way, Ibanez's salary jumps to 11.5 million next year, Victorino's jumps to 5.5 million, and Blanton and Werth's to 7 million.

And before you start posting Yankee salaries, don't bother. I know they're high. I'm just proving you wrong by saying you didn't sign any high priced free agents.

Keep spinning though, and keep trying to make it seem like you got all your players from the Phillies Pharm somewhere.
    Compared to average major league salaries for players of this quality, I don't feel like any of these contracts are particularly large.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMouse View Post
    I think Charlie Manual has a HUGE bit of baseball fan in him..like everyone else, he wants to see how Pedro fares at Yankee Stadium. While it makes perfect sense to go lefty-righty-lefty from a pure stratigic standpoint..I think there's a part of Cholly that's just plain old curious.
    Plus, I think he feels like he's playing with house money right now ... worst case he goes home with a split) which is what every road team wants) and doesn't burn up one of his routine starters.

Best case he goes home up 2-0.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to average major league salaries for players of this quality, I don't feel like any of these contracts are particularly large.
    Of course you don't.

Almost 7 mil for a reserve outfielder is chump change. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

OK can we PLEASE stop with the salary/financial talk??? Everyone keeps saying it's done but then it starts right back up. This bickering is really making the thread not so fun.

We did not "hit" CC and chase him off like last year, but he was not as good as he needed to be nor was the Yankees hitting. You do have to like your chances with 2 runs.. he got no support thanks to Lee's performance.

Howard's numbers against lefties this year haven't been as good as previous years. Let's see what happens tonight.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

RIvera only comes in the game in save situations.

Since his career postseason stats are 35 saves, a .079 ERA, 100 strikeouts and only 17 walks, I'd say he's more than earned his keep.
    So you're saying he wasn't out there last night, and that's the only reference I was making to him earning his keep. IF he gives up 4 runs in 2 innings, I don't think even you can say he would earn his keep in that situation. Or maybe you would. Once again, I don't care one iota to what he or any other Yankee may or may not do in other situations. Wow, I'm beginning to understand Ian's frustration with you, you don't seem to read other people's posts. Whatever though, I'm done with this conversation. As I said, I don't care who wins or loses this Series. My team screwed it up in the final month of the season, and after that, it really didn't matter to me.

Have fun with the banter folks, and Ian, thank you for clarifying your post that I referenced awhile back. I appreciate the calm discussion my friend.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nascfan View Post
    So you're saying he wasn't out there last night, and that's the only reference I was making to him earning his keep. IF he gives up 4 runs in 2 innings, I don't think even you can say he would earn his keep in that situation. Or maybe you would. Once again, I don't care one iota to what he or any other Yankee may or may not do in other situations. Wow, I'm beginning to understand Ian's frustration with you, you don't seem to read other people's posts. Whatever though, I'm done with this conversation. As I said, I don't care who wins or loses this Series. My team screwed it up in the final month of the season, and after that, it really didn't matter to me.

Have fun with the banter folks, and Ian, thank you for clarifying your post that I referenced awhile back. I appreciate the calm discussion my friend.
    Wow dude...chill out. You understand what frustration?

You asked:

Was he in there in the eighth or ninth innings last night? If he gave up the four runs by the Phils, then he didn't earn his keep.
    I explained to you who Rivera was and what he did, and you understand Ian's frustration? You asked if he was in there, I told you he only comes in the game in save situations. Why ask a question if you don't want it answered???

Where was I not calm with you, or where did I show you any hostility?

MAN, there's THIN skin on this message board.

PS - He just earned his keep tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

I said I'd be happy with a split, so I can't really complain. I'm happy with Pedro's performance, but he shouldn't have come out for the 7th, if only to spare the spectacle. The 1st base ump was brutal- two key missed calls on both ends. I thought home plate was fairly consistent, except for that 9th inning called 3rd strike on Howard. With the game on the line and emotions so high, it's no wonder he got upset, although I think he went a bit over the top.

This is really turning out to be a pitcher's series. Amazing since these are basically the two best hitting lineups and many were calling for a high scoring game tonight. Can't wait for Saturday night in Philly!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing game tonight. Nail biter to the end. This series is going to be one for the ages...you can sense it.

You're right though...the umps have been brutal. If this keeps up instant replay might have to be considered.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right though...the umps have been brutal. If this keeps up instant replay might have to be considered.
    Game 1 was fine, but today was unacceptable. And of course we know how terrible it's been in other series... I don't know that I'd want to see it year long, but I think that maybe next post season they could initiate it for everything but home plate, and just to keep the game from slowing down they could do it in a similar way to the NFL challenge system so it's not abused.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Game 1 was fine, but today was unacceptable. And of course we know how terrible it's been in other series... I don't know that I'd want to see it year long, but I think that maybe next post season they could initiate it for everything but home plate, and just to keep the game from slowing down they could do it in a similar way to the NFL challenge system so it's not abused.
    That's what I was thinking. Home plate is fine, but we need replay for calls at bases and fair and foul calls sometimes.

The challenge system would probably work.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough game tonight for the Phils...Burnett pitched really well and you've gotta give credit where credit is due.

I will agree with you guys though that the umpires were bad again tonight...I can't remember a playoff where they were this bad...it was equally bad for both teams.

Anyway, a split is what we were all hoping for so I can't complain too much...big momentum game on Saturday night...Go Phils!
    -Phil-

"The future is no place to place your better days."--Dave Matthews
    "Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride."--Mallrats

"The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of Baseball!"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Umps were brutal, but it was evenly brutal so I don't really think it affected the outcome of the game.

What did affect the outcome of the game was AJ Burnett! I didn't think he had a gem like that in him against a left-handed heavy lineup. He brought it last night!

It's funny ... I couldn't help but compare game 2 to game 1. Two great pitching performances, but one guy doing just enough above and beyond to get the team the win. I will admit the difference between Burnett and Martinez was a little more significant than Lee vs. Sabathia, but still ... it had the same feel.

Anyway I agree with Pagan ... this has all the makings of a really, really great series. I am glad, though, to see it shifting back to CBP where the Phillies are 11-1 in their last 12 post season games. I'm also happy they did what they were supposed to do and came away with a split in NY.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome performance by Burnett, he was $$$ big time!!! Series on!!!! Pedro also showed up big...just not big enough last night, almost a carbon copy of Sabathia's effort.

Phils highlight for me was Ibanez's diving grab..I turned to my wife after that and said...that's what this series is about...a guy with an abdominal tear laying it on the line like that.

Which Cole Hamels shows up for game 3?? He has dazzled at times this year, he'll need to again in this one.
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMouse View Post
    Which Cole Hamels shows up for game 3?? He has dazzled at times this year, he'll need to again in this one.
    See ... this is why I was really hoping to steal game two and come home up 2-0, because I don't like the Hamels/Pettite pitching match-up at all.

Hamels has been terrible in the post-season and I see no reason to believe that's going to change.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

See ... this is why I was really hoping to steal game two and come home up 2-0, because I don't like the Hamels/Pettite pitching match-up at all.

Hamels has been terrible in the post-season and I see no reason to believe that's going to change.
    Why not? I saw no reason to think Burnett was going to change but look what happened.

You can NEVER predict baseball. I've come to that conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not? I saw no reason to think Burnett was going to change but look what happened.

You can NEVER predict baseball. I've come to that conclusion.
    To steal a line from a friend of mine: "Hi. I'm Cole Hamels. I will be pitching in Game 3 of the 2009 World Series on October 31st. To celebrate Halloween, I will be disguised as my 2008 World Series MVP self."

I really hope Hamels can come up big. However, I don't have too much confidence in that. If you can't get it together when you could've made history as the clinching pitcher in back to back NLCS... I dunno. The bats are gonna need to come alive, methinks.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

If nothing else, Cole's been quite the pitch man for Comcast Triple Play...I'm stoked to know he can speak to his grandmom in San Diego anytime he wishes...maybe Granny can remind him of what he was in '08.
    Jerry

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: