Quantcast Fantasyland Refurb: It's Official! - Page 14

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    DH said he read somewhere about a new Beauty & the Beast castle dining experience. I can't seem to find that. Can someone expound? Did it sound like this would replace CRT?
    Nope. It's going to be a brand new restaurant in the back of Fantasyland. CRT isn't going anywhere, considering how popular it is.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I too gave this some time to digest and develop before deciding how I feel. In the end my two strongest first reactions are still there. 1. I absolutely think that moving Dumbo from where it is now in the middle of "old" fantasyland is the wrong thing to do. I rode it for the first time in March with my 1 year old son and I was amazed at the view. Its such a classic attraction - the ones we often mention as classics like mr toad or 20000 leagues - DUMBO out-classics them all! It should remain in its place of honor. As a pp mentioned several pages ago - its friendly and nonthreatening, convinient and enticing to young children.
    2. I am not happy with the princess expansion. There is already way too much merchandise, special dining, bibbidy bobbity boutique, etc etc taking over the parks. And they mostly focus on cindy, ariel, sleeping beauty, and belle. What happened to mulan and other strong female role models. I'm not complaining because its girly - just because its a little too much. Just like its starting to get too much pirates.
    There are ways to have theme parks that incorporate chacters and stories into attractions without those charcters and attractions taking over the parks. Come to think of it a lot of the original mk was based on stories walt did (like adventureland) but I guess back then they had more stories? Maybe we need more movies? Why do we need belle in mk and dhs? Little mermaid - same thing. Even buzz and tsm crossover. If they want to epand mk, fine, but I just wish it wasn't all princesses. (Ok, I know why we need belle in both parks - so little girls will get their parents to go to both). I wish we had some new creative attractions coming to all parks. Show the world why disney storytelling is the best!

That being said I'm all for change. I love dhs, but it would have been nice to see them do some stuff there instead. Mk is easily a multi day park even with little ones. I like dhs a lot, but it could use some younger kid attractions.
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment78 View Post
    1. I absolutely think that moving Dumbo from where it is now in the middle of "old" fantasyland is the wrong thing to do. I rode it for the first time in March with my 1 year old son and I was amazed at the view. It should remain in its place of honor.
    It may have a fantastic view where it's at but you have to think of it from a design standpoint. Where it's at right now, it causes huge bottlenecks, making Fantasyland quite crowded with everything being crammed in there the way it is. Secondly, because Dumbo is so popular it often has over an hour wait for a 1 minute ride. That's a lot of people wanting to ride a fiberglass elephant that goes in a circle for 60 seconds. With the changes being made there's going to be a second Dumbo attraction that will share a queue with the original one, drastically lowering wait times and putting in a queue that'll actually be interesting to wait in.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment78 View Post
    I am not happy with the princess expansion. There is already way too much merchandise, special dining, bibbidy bobbity boutique, etc etc taking over the parks. And they mostly focus on cindy, ariel, sleeping beauty, and belle. What happened to mulan and other strong female role models.
    Fantasyland is where ALL the princesses should have been from the start. They don't belong in the judges tent at Mickey's Toontown Fair, they need to be in Fantasyland. This is a natural move for them. And yes, you're right, they are forgetting other princesses like Mulan and Pocahontas but don't you think they'd be a bit out of place in a land that's got a European fairy tale setting considering Mulan took place in China and Pocahontas took place in colonial America? There's still other places to meet them, but the fairy tale princesses are finally getting the homes and the setting they deserve.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasy Land

1. The princess expansion is unfortunate. Just because many little girls like chicken nuggets and fries the Disney Company decided the easy market is to simply offer little girls more different shapes of chicken nuggets and fries.

2. I'm glad Mickey and Minnie are being moved to the front of the MK park.

3. Every article that talks about renovations at MK mention WDW responding to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - I look forward to this 'park within a park' at IoAdventure - I hope it's a huge success.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A home for Pocahantas

Well if the fantasyland renovation goes well and the buzz is good for the princesses, there is a perfect place to do something for Pocahantas. Tom Sawyer Island. Right now the area is underutilized and most of the visitors to Frontier Land never cross over and not many have a lot of good to say. Swiss family Robinson, for good or bad is left in the dim past and to most of the visitors under 50 the reaction is ...its a tree house...so? Tom's place could stay but I could easily see a whole themed section of the island given over to Her and her indian village. They could have a "Princess" meet and greet and an area where Grandma Willow told tales of the Powhatan and Algonkian tribes. But that would be an expansion for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's Change I can believe in.
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    Nope. It's going to be a brand new restaurant in the back of Fantasyland. CRT isn't going anywhere, considering how popular it is.
    Yay. I'm doing the happy dance. I didn't think they'd change/eliminate CRT, but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by disneykid@hrt View Post
    Now that's Change I can believe in.
    Too funny!
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drachengeist View Post
    Well if the fantasyland renovation goes well and the buzz is good for the princesses, there is a perfect place to do something for Pocahantas. Tom Sawyer Island. Right now the area is underutilized and most of the visitors to Frontier Land never cross over and not many have a lot of good to say. Swiss family Robinson, for good or bad is left in the dim past and to most of the visitors under 50 the reaction is ...its a tree house...so? Tom's place could stay but I could easily see a whole themed section of the island given over to Her and her indian village. They could have a "Princess" meet and greet and an area where Grandma Willow told tales of the Powhatan and Algonkian tribes. But that would be an expansion for another day.
    DLR has Tarzan's Treehouse and it appeals to the younger crowds, but I know a lot of us are sentimental and prefer SFR Treehouse.

And if I'm not totally off my gourd (which is distinctly possible), I think Pocahontas has an attraction over at AKL.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very excited for this!! But, a little confused. Sorry if this was already explained but....

1. Is the current Ariel's Grotto area going to be completely dismantled and moved back? Or will they be able to use the existing spot and squeeze in the Cinderella and Aurora areas? It doesn't seem like there will be enough room....

2. I heard somewhere that they would be using the old 20K Leagues track for the new Ariel's Adventure ride, is that still even there? I thought they filled that in for the play area that's there now.

I love Beauty and the Beast and I'm glad it will be getting some more attention! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    If we can dream it, then we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

When are the renovations to begin taking place?
    AKA~Jody
    Off site-Dec 1984, Apr 1995, Nov 2000, Oct 2003, May 2004, Oct 2004, Dec 2006, Sept 2007, Sept/Oct 2008, Dec 2010, Nov 2012, Oct 2014, Dec 2017
    POP Centry- Dec 2004 (first stay onsite), Dec 2011
    CBR-Sept 2005, Dec 2005, Dec 2008, Sept 2009, Nov 2015
    AKL- Dec 2014
    Poly -May 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BWayGrl View Post
    1. Is the current Ariel's Grotto area going to be completely dismantled and moved back? Or will they be able to use the existing spot and squeeze in the Cinderella and Aurora areas? It doesn't seem like there will be enough room....
    With the addition of the new Little Mermaid dark ride, I'm fairly certain that the existing Ariel's Grotta area is going to be razed.

Quote Originally Posted by BWayGrl View Post
    2. I heard somewhere that they would be using the old 20K Leagues track for the new Ariel's Adventure ride, is that still even there? I thought they filled that in for the play area that's there now.
    No, as far as I know that track was completely removed when they built Pooh's Playful Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' of Disney View Post
    When are the renovations to begin taking place?
    I assume as close to immediately as possible.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drachengeist View Post
    I've been going to MK since I was 2. I'm 34. I love all the old stuff, so I kind of have mixed feelings. It's going to be cool, but I'll miss the old stuff. Was just there this weekend and was a little verklempt when I saw them tearing down the sky bucket landing in Tomorrowland. We take the kids over to TSI all the time. They love it. They love Omar, too! We also do SFR, too.

Post Thanks / Like

The overlay below shows where the new stuff may be located in relation to the existing Fantasyland and Toontown areas.

DVC Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I do have to say that I kind of feel sorry for those who take issue with the princesses and are judging this before they experience it. What would you have done in it's place? I grant that the Pixie Hollow thing could be fleeting- I don't know what kind of longevity pixies will have- but a forest theme could easily be turned into something else down the line. As someone said earlier, this is Fantasyland, and a lot of fairy tales just happen to feature female leads, but I also feel that as a society we have created this stigma that only girls can like princesses. My brother's favorite Disney movie as a kid was Sleeping Beauty. Granted it was probably due to the fact that it had a cool dragon and everything, but he watched it over and over again, and I think he would've enjoyed being at a birthday party for Aurora. He also play acted with me all the time, so I know he would've loved to dress up and perform as the Beast for Belle. The Cinderella one seems most geared towards girls but for the most part I think these things are friendly for the whole family. And to boot, the Little Mermaid Ride and Be Our Guest dining room look fantastic; I for one can't wait to experience this.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited because my girls love princesses. But worried we haven't been since fall 2007 and have a trip planned for fall 2011 worried about what we will experience for our trip. Wondering how chaotic it will be with the construction.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

Default my random thoughts and wishes

I have always loved fairy tales and fantasy and I think the enchanted forest idea sounds potentially great. I am glad they are upgrading Fantasyland. I must confess, though, that I am very excited about Universal's Wizard World and the wonderful story, detail and amazing theming potential. The Disney princesses, fairies etc. do seem a rehashing of old stories that are not very inspiring for the over 8 year old girl set. The big e-ride is about Little Mermaid? I'm surprised it isn't something more current. My littlest boy actually likes Minnie's interactive house, Donald's water boat and the Barnstormer, despite the rather weak theming and gridlock of the area. I do think an enchanted forest is rich in potential. I hope they do have actual attractions and not just meet and greets (ie long lines.) I hope they do have dragons and duels and some excitement for the boys. My youngest son secretly loves princesses I am sure, but would never admit it. Nearby dragons etc. will give boys the cover they need to enjoy this land. I hope Disney has some wonderful story ideas for upcoming movies that may turn gender stereotypes on their head and create some new excitement.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

For those that are disappointed that this is more stuff for little girls and not little boys all I can say is that Disney is following the money. Several years ago I went to a seminar at WDW and one of the attendees asked about this issue. The reply we received was that their research shows that parents of little girls will spend 2-3 times more money on their daughters than their sons thus, they will always be spending more on girls than boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    For those that are disappointed that this is more stuff for little girls and not little boys all I can say is that Disney is following the money. Several years ago I went to a seminar at WDW and one of the attendees asked about this issue. The reply we received was that their research shows that parents of little girls will spend 2-3 times more money on their daughters than their sons thus, they will always be spending more on girls than boys.
    Yes, I asked a manager at the local Disney Store why most of what they had was for girls and she answered, "Because this is a Disney Store. Our target market is girls ages 6 to 12." like my question was ridiculous.

What's disappointing is the Disney Company's unimaginative view of girls.Over and over a "determined" young princess who's befuddled well-meaning Daddy just doesn't understand her. It was remarkable that Mulan actually had a mom! So her talking animal sidekick helps her find the prince in disguise to give he life meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    The overlay below shows where the new stuff may be located in relation to the existing Fantasyland and Toontown areas.

Mike, thanks for that. That gives a really, really great look at what the new Fantasyland layout will be.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I do have to say that I kind of feel sorry for those who take issue with the princesses and are judging this before they experience it. What would you have done in it's place?
    I definitely would have included some Cars attractions. In fact, I probably would have done my oft-touted Cars overlay of the Speedway and just incorporated that into Fantasyland.

I have nothing against princesses and have certainly spent my fair share of time in line to meet them, forking over piles of cash to make my DD look like one, and watching their movies.

But you can chalk me up as one of the many who doesn't get why Disney can't find something to add in here for boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    That may be true, but you know what the most profitable consumer products franchise for Disney has been over the last three years? Cars. Far and away, Cars. It's been a multi-billion dollar market for them since the movie was released in '06 and I really think they seriously missed the mark by not including a Cars attraction in here somewhere for the boys.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You know - it could just be me, but isn't pretty much everything but fantasyland geared at either both boys and girls or lean more towards boys? I really don't get the complaints.

Seriously, run down the attraction list outside fantasyland - and I think you'll start to see that this fits in very nicely over all.

I'm ok with fantasyland being about princesses and castles and mermaids.

Oh, and Ian - if I was king, the cars overlay would be done by tomorrow. I don't understand how they can ignore the natural fit. I know it's supposed to be the "tomorrowland" speedway, but that was always shaky to begin with
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: