Quantcast 09' Healthy Living Club - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try upping the exercise times by a little bit. I had a biochemistry exam years ago in college and if I remember correctly the example was for what happens as a person would run a marathon.

The body's first sources of energy are glycogen and glucose. As those are used up the body begins to break down stored fat and metabolize that into sugars for energy (on average this takes about 30 minutes to get to the fat burning stage - again if I remember the example correctly).

So if you fall into that average category and are exercising about 30 minutes a day you'd be getting to the point of burning off some of the fat but if you add another 10 or 15 minutes you might start seeing some steady results because you'd be in that fat burning window for a longer period of time.

It sounds like you're doing great though! Weight loss/management is all about calories consumed vs. calories burned.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I exercise and lose weight through at program called P90X. There is a thread about it in the Water Cooler. The exercise regime is very tough. So tough, in fact, that in order to lose weight and see gains in strength, I started the nutrition plan eating 2500 calories a day and actually had to increase it to continue to lose weight. Keep in mind that I weigh under 200 pounds and was heavier when I started the program. This daily intake is based on a number of factors, the main one being your weight at the start of the program. If I decreased my food intake, I would have gone into Starvation Mode, which a lot of diets do to people. That would have allowed me to lose more weight in the short term, but would have affected my strength and in the long term may have made me gain weight. Regular exercise can actually force your body out of starvation mode.

One thing I learned about exercise. I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but here goes: If you are exercising 4 days a week, you are not exercising 3 days a week. Regular exercise and proper nutrition (not diet - diet means DIE with Tea) are the keys to long-term health, losses of fat (not weight) and gains in muscle, strength, co-ordination and balance. it isn't going to happen over night. Please consider an exercise and nutrition plan as part of your daily regime for the rest of your life, just like shaving, bathing, putting on make-up and brushing your teeth.
    Last edited by garymacd; 08-12-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: change a few words for better reading and correct spelling mistakes.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and remember to spread your calories out over multiple smaller meals.

Also while exercising your body does not burn fat running fast. You burn fat directly when your heart rate is around 65% max heart rate for your age and build leaner muscle and stamina at 80%. I am 32 and my target heart range is between 118 and 126.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    One thing I learned about exercise. I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but here goes: If you are exercising 4 days a week, you are not exercising 3 days a week.
    Gary, I agree w/ everything you said -- just a question re: excercising 7 days/week. (Heavy, strenuous excercise, not just walking, etc.) What I thought I'd learned may be out-dated, which is why I'm asking -- but I always thought I'd learned that in terms of really strenuous (i.e. weight loss variety) excercise, you should limit it to 3 or 4 days/week and on the other 3/4 days, do lighter things like walking, light weights or situps, etc., to give your muscles a chance to heal and strengthen, and your body a chance to re-group.

Is this no longer advised?? I can't imagine finding an hour 7 days/week (sounds crazy, I know, but with my work schedule, my girls' schedule and just our family "stuff", finding an hour 3 or 4x's a week is tough! )

And is your P90X program the old "BeachBody" program? I think I remember a 90-day program associated with that, and it was great!

Thanks for the continued thougths/advice... I hope this thread is helping others besides me!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

from a weight training perspective you shouldn't work out the same muscle group(chest, biceps, triceps, etc) more than twice a week. You could do one muscle group a day and then finish with 30 - 60 minutes of fat burn cardio. Throw in abs a few times a week, it is the one muscle group you can not really overwork.

As for how heavy/ how many reps the equations are easy.
    1. If you want to build strength, you should use a weight that you can only do 3-5 times.
    2. If you want more muscle mass you should use a weight that you can do 7-10 times
    3. If you want to build lean defined muscles you need a weight that you can do 10 to 15 times.

Each of these assumes the bottom number of reps is hard and the top is practically impossible. 3 sets of whatever it is you are trying to accomplish.

The most important thing is what and when you eat though, watch the calories but also be aware of it's basic breakdown (carbs, fat, protien).

If you are real nuts you can do some of the gym jones circuits, my workout partner gets our workouts from him. He trains people to climb Everest (The real one) www.gymjones.com

Post Thanks / Like

From everything I've read, and am practicing, you should not work your muscles (i.e. weight training) every day. You muscle builds on your rest days.

I found that if I do cardio everyday, I burn out real quick. I choose to do cardio 3 days a week and weight training (circuit training) on machines, 2 days a week. I'm seeing and feeling the results so I know it's working.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by eating properly and exercising and this has to be a lifetime commitment. And if you're watching your calories and eating balanced meals, you'll automatically cut down the carbs.

I have an App on my iPod Touch called Tap & Track. It helps me keep track of my calories and exercise. And it adds calories back into my daily allowance when I work out.

I agree that anything below 1200 is counterproductive. I think you should realistically look at 1200-1300 calories per day, minimum.

GL with your lifestyle change. It appears there are many of us here joining this club.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Getting Ready-Physically

Hi All!

As usual I am on a quest to be in the best physcial condition I can for our upcoming trip.

I have read threads about people getting ready by walking alot, which I do, and it really does help. While I may not be in the physical shape I want to be I can walk circles around many of the guests there and my own family!

But, I was wondering if any of you would be intrested to form a kind of Intercot group for weight loss and fitness with our goal of course being to look and feel awesome when we are in the most awesome place!

Didn't know if this thread would suffice? Or if we should start a Healthly Living thread? We could put some tips on that work for others in meeting weight and fitness goals. How many pounds we have lost (but, never our weights-we don't need to go there !).

For instance, when I have been walking on my treadmill and I am really not in the mood I envision walking into MK and how my steps on the treadmill are taking me to Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, etc. It really helps! And then I always feel better after walking and it helps me to get even more psyched for our upcoming trip.

What do you guys think?
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Also, things like if I eat well now-like fruits and veggies instead of junk than I can really indulge (without feeling guilty) in DoleWhips, Mickey Treats and all the other great goodies.
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    March 2008-Pop Century
    February 2010-Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Like, right now-I have been sitting in a 3 day training session and I packed my lunch b/c all they serve for lunch is potato chips and pizza (which the pizza smell almost make it hard to pass on-but I persevered!).

Oh, and no soft drinks or at least limiting my intake of soft drinks.
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    March 2008-Pop Century
    February 2010-Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Healthy Living Thread Already Going

There is a healthy living thread that was started on 1-1-09 in the Water Cooler. Here's the link:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=147723
    Sandy G.

First Vacation Trip-DXL, August, 2000
    Last Trip-Yacht Club December 2017
    Next Up-The Swan December 2018
    Many In Between

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rekenna View Post
    Also, things like if I eat well now-like fruits and veggies instead of junk than I can really indulge (without feeling guilty) in DoleWhips, Mickey Treats and all the other great goodies.
    One thing I wanted to throw in here is that before our trip 2 years ago, I did exactly that... I ate really healthy, right up to before we left. I felt great... until we got to Disney, and started "really" eating. YIPES!! Because I'd been having mostly salads and lean meats and fruits, and healthy carbs, my system went haywire when I started adding in the not-so-healthy snacks and heavier meals that are so prevalent at Disney. (Not that the meals there are unhealthy, but they're certainly cooked differently than how I cook at home!!)

So -- before our trip this past year, I was of course on a mission to lose a little and up my stamina -- but about two weeks before our trip, I started adding in some "less healthy" carbs and sugars and pastas/sauces, etc., and just uppedmy excercise, as well, so I didn't gain... and I felt WAY better when we got there!

So, consider this to be a "word to the wise" comment... if you are seriously limiting your intake of junk and carbs and fats before you go, be sure to add a little of it in beforehand -- your tummy will thank you!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Gary, I agree w/ everything you said -- just a question re: excercising 7 days/week. (Heavy, strenuous excercise, not just walking, etc.) And is your P90X program the old "BeachBody" program? I think I remember a 90-day program associated with that, and it was great!

Thanks for the continued thougths/advice... I hope this thread is helping others besides me!
    Sorry if I confused you. I do work out six or seven days a week; but I don't do strength training every day. Here is the Classic program I follow. (Beach Body, some years ago had a program called Power 90, and another one called Power Half Hour) These are good lead ups to P90X. My daughter's boyfriend is using Power 90 - great results.)

The first three weeks are a wake-up call for your body.
    Day 1: Chest and Back plus Ab Ripper X (a 16 minute intense ab workout)
    Day 2: Plyometrics (Extreme Cardio workout)
    Day 3: Shoulders and Arms plus Ab Ripper
    Day 4: Yoga X (One of the toughest workouts I have ever done!)
    Day 5: Legs and Back plus Ab Ripper
    Day 6: Kenpo X (The most fun workout I have ever had)
    Day 7: Rest or X Stretch

Do this for three weeks, then do the recovery week. No strength training, just conditioning and flexibility.
    Day 1: Yoga X
    Day 2: Core Synergistics (pilates got nothing on this one)
    Day 3: Kenpo X
    Day 4: X Stretch
    Day 5: Core Synergistics
    Day 6: Yoga X
    Day 7: Rest or X Stretch

Now comes the real work:
    Day 1: Chest Shoulders and Back plus Ab Ripper
    Day 2: Plyometrics
    Day 3: Back and Biceps plus Ab Ripper
    Day 4: Yoga X
    Day 5: Legs and Back plus Ab Ripper
    Day 6: Kenpo X
    Day 7: Rest or Stretch
    After three weeks of this you will be begging for a rest, so repeat the rest week above

Now, alternate the two different training weeks for one month and finish up with a rest week.

I am just finishing up my second round of this with the addition of an extra 4 cardio workouts a week - actually more since I am now riding my bike back and forth to work 20 km in each direction - and am seriously looking forward to the rest week. My back doesn't hurt as much and I can keep up with the kids at work now for the most part. Not bad for a guy about 5 years away from retirement in a high-stress, physically demanding job.

As you can see, I don't do strength every day, and I don't focus on the same muscle groups every time. Strength is alternated with conditioning and flexibility. This was my mistake when I tried to do my own exercise regime - that plus I never pushed myself as hard as Tony Horton ever does.

There is also a Lean routine using the same workouts, but the focus is more on cardio and less on strength. My daughter does this routine.

It is a tough routine and you really need to be committed to the process to get the most out of it. I sometimes find myself working out at 8, 9 or ten o'clock at night. The beauty of Beach Body Programs is that you can try it for 30 days and if it's not for you, return it and get your money back.

They also have other programs that are not as intense, like Ten Minute Trainer (my wife does this routine with some difficulty due to her health issues). This routine starts at a mere ten minutes a day and can be done in a very small area with nothing more than a door, door strap and resistance band that comes with the program. You can build yourself up to a maximum of one-half hour a day. This may be more up your alley, especially if your fitness level isn't that great to begin with (assumption on my part) and especially if time is a real constraint. It also comes with a nutrition plan that will give you sufficient calories to maintain strength and lose weight. Again if it isn't for you, return it and get your money back.

Best of luck and PM me if you want more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Gary, thanks so much for the info!!

I am going to look into this, but on the "lean" side like your daughter does... it sounds great, albeit hard, but great!

Right now, I am doing Jillian Michael's DVD's.... one is a 25 minute circuit workout, the other a 45 minute circuit workout, both combining cardio and strength/toning at the same time. What I'm finding is that I can easily do the 25 minute one for 3 or 4 days, then I need a rest day (probably due more to my work schedule, as I work nights 3x/week and don't have the stamina for it after a night on...) and I just did the 45 minute workout yesterday,and it has left my muscles sooooo sore! But, I know they got a good workout, so I am resting them today and just stretching, doing some light stuff.

Is anyone else out there doing Jillian right now? I really like her combination approach, feels like I'm working on alot of stuff at the same time, and thus getting the biggest bang for my buck, timewise.

But, I also want to be sure I don't overdo it and wear myself out... that would defeat the purpose.

I'm upping my calories to at least 1300 and hoping to see a change by next week... I'm just SO not used to seeing the weight come off like I did when I was lo-carb!!

everybody for all the input... one way or the other, we'll all get there, and this way, we can help each other!
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Blythe: I have the 30 day shred from Jillian. Do you have that one? What other one do you have? I haven't done it in a while. The puppy (a yellow lab we got 4 weeks ago in Lowville) is keeping me very busy. I don't really need to lose much weight --- it's more toning that I want.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    Blythe: I have the 30 day shred from Jillian. Do you have that one? What other one do you have? I haven't done it in a while. The puppy (a yellow lab we got 4 weeks ago in Lowville) is keeping me very busy. I don't really need to lose much weight --- it's more toning that I want.
    Hi Traci! I do have the Shred DVD, I also have her No More Trouble Zones one. I bet that puppy IS keeping you busy... she sounds adorable!! And I think these DVD's would be GREAT for toning... she really works on your muscles.

So - I started doing these DVD's last Monday, it's been 12 days... I've done Shred 5x's, NMTZ 2x's and light weights/sit-ups 4 times. So - 7 out of 12 days I've worked out, and I've also done the stairs at work (8 floors, all double-stairs... so 16 flights of 10 stairs each.... and I'm about dead when I'm done. ) I worked 4 nights in a row, so was up on my feet the whole time, which were the days/nights I did the light weights, etc., instead of a DVD - I'm just too tired during a stretch like that to really do a difficult workout.

I started by cutting calories to 1000, but now upped it to 1300... and nothing. Monday will be two weeks, and if I'm still at a 2lb weight loss, I'm giving up and going back to lo-carb. I may not maintain it well, but at least I lose weight and am not hungry -- right now, I'm frustrated b/c I may feel stronger, but my clothes fit the same, I've lost next to nothing and I'm starving all the time.

I realize two weeks isn't much to go by - but two weeks into lo-carb'ing it, I've generally lost 6-8 lbs and then am able to keep it off by increasing my excercising (or starting to excercise, as I generally lo-carb it before I start an excercise routine) as I add healthy carbs back in.

The main reason I put the 10lbs back on in the winter was eating foolishly and stopping excercising, not b/c I added carbs back in. I just added in some (okay, a lot... ) of "stupid carbs" and w/o the excercise, I'm actually surprised I didn't gain back more than 10!!

So.... I'll let you guys know how it goes...
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Whoo Hoo I hit the 50lb mark this weekend!!!! I have a long way to go before I hit my goal, but I am determined to get this weight off. My short term goal is to lose 20 more before we go on our trip at the end of October.

My DH hit his 50+ lb mark this past weekend too!! We are working as a team, and keep each other motivated.

Kristine----Mom to David and Kassandra
    Oct 2005 DVC Members SSR
    Jan 2006 SSR
    OKW Oct 31-Nov 6 2006 shhh its a secret
    OKW May 11-15 2007 Me Time
    OKW Sep-Oct 2007 Family X-mas Gift
    DCL Jan 2009 1st cruise (just DH and I)
    Next up Oct-Nov 2009 Land and Sea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinktude View Post
    Whoo Hoo I hit the 50lb mark this weekend!!!! I have a long way to go before I hit my goal, but I am determined to get this weight off. My short term goal is to lose 20 more before we go on our trip at the end of October.

My DH hit his 50+ lb mark this past weekend too!! We are working as a team, and keep each other motivated.
    You two ROCK! That is amazing work for the two of you. Keep up the good work. You two will be back in bikini's and speedo's in no time flat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinktude View Post

Congrats to you and your DH... that is SO great!! Keep up the good work!!
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    I started by cutting calories to 1000, but now upped it to 1300... and nothing. Monday will be two weeks, and if I'm still at a 2lb weight loss, I'm giving up and going back to lo-carb. I may not maintain it well, but at least I lose weight and am not hungry -- right now, I'm frustrated b/c I may feel stronger, but my clothes fit the same, I've lost next to nothing and I'm starving all the time.

I realize two weeks isn't much to go by - but two weeks into lo-carb'ing it, I've generally lost 6-8 lbs and then am able to keep it off by increasing my excercising (or starting to excercise, as I generally lo-carb it before I start an excercise routine) as I add healthy carbs back in.

The main reason I put the 10lbs back on in the winter was eating foolishly and stopping excercising, not b/c I added carbs back in. I just added in some (okay, a lot... ) of "stupid carbs" and w/o the excercise, I'm actually surprised I didn't gain back more than 10!!

So.... I'll let you guys know how it goes...
    Blythe,

I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. I don't know if you'll respond the same way I do but this is what happens to me.

I do low-cal (1200-1300) with healthier choices and I don't see the weight loss weekly. Seriously, I'll loose about 5-6 lbs within a 2 day period and then I'll sit there for a good month before I have that 2 day weight loss again.

I don't know if this has something to do with my age or what but it wasn't like that when I was younger.

Also, I work out 5 days a week. Last night I was playing around and flexing my muscles. I couldn't believe the shape and definition I've developed. This is something I've never had in my arms and I'm SO excited about it.

I know you have to do what works best for you and what you're most comfortable with but I hope this helps a little.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Blythe,

I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. I don't know if you'll respond the same way I do but this is what happens to me.

I know you have to do what works best for you and what you're most comfortable with but I hope this helps a little.
    Thank you for that... it definitely did help! I'm just not a patient person by nature, which is why seeing results right off the bat works better for me, and keeps me motivated to keep going. It's the "long-distance" portion of the program that's tough for me, and that's what I'm trying to work through right now... keeping up the hard work, even w/o the tangible results.

So far, I've been able to keep up with the workouts, but I've backed off on trying to do them "too much", like when I'm exhausted from working all night. That just makes me too tired to function.

Funny, we went away this wknd to Canada, and I allowed myself some indulgences... some munchies, a few Coronas (how do you resist them when you're sitting on a lakefront?? ) and the like. I also worked last night and had a bit of an upset stomach, so ate mostly saltines and pretzels with some peanut butter. Not lo-carb, not lo-cal by any means... and got up today to see a weight loss, which NEVER happens after I've been up all night. ???

So -- I'll just keep "keeping on" -- hopefully, all of us giving each other help, advice, ideas & encouragement will keep us all going... it'll be interesting to see what this next week brings!!

again!
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: