Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 13

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my theory or speculation or whatever but...

It seemed that Purple was sitting stopped outside the TTC, to me maybe the system was working on Purple and had it stopped because Pink triggered Purple's sensors. Pink was backing up and backed into Purple outside. The trains were moved inside to let people off.

How did they move both trains? Did Pink pull Purple inside because they were that stuck at that point?

I also watched the video that was taken after the crash, Maybe telling the guest no camera's seemed weird to you, but he said that after peering into the cab of the monorail. The guys that were trying to help asked if anyone was in there and the cast member said that the pilot was. They all looked inside and backed off.
    ºoº Lizzy ºoº

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ResQRanger82 View Post
    As a current Monorail Pilot, I wanted to send a big thank you for all of the well wishes and prayers. I'm didn't have the privilege to work very much with our fallen CM, but know that he was a very special man. Honestly, I can’t even think about this tragedy for more than a minute without wanting to break down. I won't take time and speculate on the how’s and why’s. I can just say that I will proudly drive out beloved trains and provide the best for our Guests - with sorrow from our loss but with extra purpose knowing that I am continuing the legacy.

Thank you again for your support not only to his family but for the whole Monorail family. I look forward to seeing everyone aboard our "Highway in the Sky"
    Thank you for posting -- it's been really great to hear from you and other monorail CM's who are continuing to do their job with pride and not get into the "who did what wrong" game.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope each and every one of you know how much we appreciate what you do every day!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I was re-reading the posts here and realized how interesting it is that we can see something and think we understand the circumstances.

Looking at the video and photos it seems logical that the purple train rear-ended the pink one. Then I remembered that I was in an auto accident a few years ago where a truck in front of me stopped then backed up into the front of my car. This was in a school parking lot, and our new church was being built adjacent to the school. I was driving up to the school to drop my kids off in the morning and the truck was in front of me about to turn toward the church construction site.

The driver overshot the turn, stopped and was backing up to re-position the truck to make the turn.

I was a sitting duck. I blew the horn but he didn't hear it. He didn't stop until he felt resistance, and by then, my car was totaled.

No one was hurt, thank God.

But what's so interesting about that experience was that everyone - including the police who responded - who came up to the accident scene after the fact assumed I had rear-ended the truck. I had to explain over and over that the truck backed into the front of my car, I didn't drive forward into the back of the truck. A few snickers from men about inept women drivers didn't help my mood! I even had a few panicky moments when I wasn't sure if the truck driver was going to tell the truth about what happened.

Anyway, long story, but I think it's interesting that we tend to make assumptions instead of considering all possibilities.
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rebuilding

Has there been any talk about rebuilding the two trains involved in the accident and when they might be put back into service.
    To many visits to keep track of.
    Finally Living The Dream!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrapper View Post
    Then I remembered that I was in an auto accident a few years ago where a truck in front of me stopped then backed up into the front of my car.

But what's so interesting about that experience was that everyone - including the police who responded - who came up to the accident scene after the fact assumed I had rear-ended the truck.
    Anyway, long story, but I think it's interesting that we tend to make assumptions instead of considering all possibilities.
    Almost the same thing happened to me several years ago, and I had similar issues getting past people's assumptions. There's been a lot of assumptions made here and elsewhere, but until all the investigations are completed, and the findings released, none of us can know for certain how/why it all happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerEmma View Post
    Has there been any talk about rebuilding the two trains involved in the accident and when they might be put back into service.
    None. I would venture to guess the trains are being methodically torn apart right now and thoroughly inspected. Once the investigators are satisfied with everything, they can and probably will re-build them, but, I wouldn't expect to see either train for several months. NTSB is involved now, and they're very detailed in their investigations, but it's also a very slow process.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that pink and purple will no longer exist, will they be repainted a new color or one of the existing colors in an attempt to hide it's past from guests is my guess.

They need all 12 though in their stable. If attendence picks back up, they won't be able to move guests quickly enough with only 10 available (considering at least one will be in for maintenance at any point in time).

lockedoutlogic Guest

It will be interested in how Disney deals with the two trains involved....

investigation aside, they can still run their lines without interuption with the two trains out.....it would mean 9 outta 10 trains in use per day instead of the usual 9 outta 12....

but i think they will be very worried about increased wear....and remember that they are expensive as all get out.

my guess is they try the usual strongarm junk they pull on the local government to entice the NTSB to give them the trains back to them as fast as they can....i don't think it will work without a call from the whitehouse or capitol hill

as far as why it happened....i don't really have a good bet

the first explanation that popped into my head was that on the 4th....the workforce is extremely overtaxed and many are forcing themselves to work extra to make a decent buck (near impossible to do).....

I don't necessarily think it was operator error....but that is one of the days of the year were employee fatigue and aggrivation is at it's peak level.

and florida tends to be hot

i am very interested to see if WDW allows a complete, open investigation.....or if the ants are scrambling around already doing "perception" control

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I suspect that pink and purple will no longer exist, will they be repainted a new color or one of the existing colors in an attempt to hide it's past from guests is my guess.

They need all 12 though in their stable. If attendence picks back up, they won't be able to move guests quickly enough with only 10 available (considering at least will be in for maintenance).

you're dead on about the colors.....we shant see them again

as far as the need for the trains....i don't believe they ever run more than 3 on a track....

the issue for them will be lack of maintenance time and increased wear....and the fact that they will be short if 2 fail....which apparently is not uncommon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I was wondering about this too. Guests can be funny about these kinds of things. If they perceive they're riding on a train that somebody was killed on, they might choose not too. I would suspect at the least, Purple will be re-painted before being returned to service. But then, they could re-paint Pink as well, just to keep everyone guessing as to which one was the "fatal" one.

Personally, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm not superstitious, so they could leave them the same colors, but they probably won't.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Thank you for posting -- it's been really great to hear from you and other monorail CM's who are continuing to do their job with pride and not get into the "who did what wrong" game.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope each and every one of you know how much we appreciate what you do every day!!
    I, too, am so glad to hear from other monorail CM's. You are suffering, too, and I hope you feel the support and concern from all of us here on Intercot.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I dont want to try and guess how this awful accident happened. I just wish to let the monorail family and Austins family know we are all thinking of them at this terrible time.
    1991 CBR
    1996 ASS
    2006 PC
    2008 PC
    2010 BC
    Next visiting May 2012 YC

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder, though, how much of an impact this will have on ridership and will that help with the wear and tear issue?

Despite the fact that the monorail is still the safest form of transportation at Disney, people WILL choose to utilize other forms of transportation as a result of the accident.

I think that Disney will eventually return the monorails to the rotation with new cockpits (obviously) assuming that they are found to be safe that is ... (isn't all the talk of what happened still speculation?)

But, personally, I think that out of respect for everyone involved in the crash, Disney should consider retiring the colors.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if they'll repaint Coral as well...many guests confuse pink with Coral. or course if they choose to keep pink and only repaint purple it won't be an issue.

I'd like to suggest teal as an option... I like teal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrapper View Post
    I was re-reading the posts here and realized how interesting it is that we can see something and think we understand the circumstances.

Looking at the video and photos it seems logical that the purple train rear-ended the pink one. Then I remembered that I was in an auto accident a few years ago where a truck in front of me stopped then backed up into the front of my car. This was in a school parking lot, and our new church was being built adjacent to the school. I was driving up to the school to drop my kids off in the morning and the truck was in front of me about to turn toward the church construction site.

The driver overshot the turn, stopped and was backing up to re-position the truck to make the turn.

I was a sitting duck. I blew the horn but he didn't hear it. He didn't stop until he felt resistance, and by then, my car was totaled.

No one was hurt, thank God.

But what's so interesting about that experience was that everyone - including the police who responded - who came up to the accident scene after the fact assumed I had rear-ended the truck. I had to explain over and over that the truck backed into the front of my car, I didn't drive forward into the back of the truck. A few snickers from men about inept women drivers didn't help my mood! I even had a few panicky moments when I wasn't sure if the truck driver was going to tell the truth about what happened.

I've had the same thing happen to me with a car that was in front of me at a stop light. We'd been sitting at the light for a couple of minutes and the guy puts his car into reverse. No matter how much I blew my horn he didn't stop. Fortunately there was little damage but every time I told people that I was backed into, that I didn't rear end him, nobody believed me! Accedents happened, I've been rear ended a few times and I understand how easy it is to look down at the radio, or away from the road for just a second, but this guy that hit me really ticked me off because he was just careless, and then had a million excuses for why he did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monorail

I always liked Coral and thought it was a neat mix of colors.

I always wanted to be a monorail driver as I wanted to talk to guests in the front and discuss driving the monorail with guests and interact with them. I wonder know since this tragedy will Monorail Drivers want different jobs as they can no longer interact with guests as much as they could before.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by irish1967 View Post
    I wonder, though, how much of an impact this will have on ridership and will that help with the wear and tear issue?

Despite the fact that the monorail is still the safest form of transportation at Disney, people WILL choose to utilize other forms of transportation as a result of the accident.

I think that Disney will eventually return the monorails to the rotation with new cockpits (obviously) assuming that they are found to be safe that is ... (isn't all the talk of what happened still speculation?)

But, personally, I think that out of respect for everyone involved in the crash, Disney should consider retiring the colors.
    you bring up an interesting issue....

I, for one, have no problem getting on the monorail....

you wanna take your chances on the buses?

...be my guest

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's OK to post this. Below is a link to a very touching story about the young monorail driver who was killed a few days ago. This is the reason we keep going back to WDW. CM's like Austin are what make it a truly special place.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2265988.story
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    I hope it's OK to post this. Below is a link to a very touching story about the young monorail driver who was killed a few days ago. This is the reason we keep going back to WDW. CM's like Austin are what make it a truly special place.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2265988.story
    This has been posted 2x in the thread already, so sad.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I know I will still ride the Monorail and have absolutely no problem with it at all. I still believe it's a safe form of transportation based on it's safety record and will be even safer when the investigation is complete.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

lockedoutlogic Guest

If anybody is interested....the sentinel published a preliminary article about the cause of the accident.....

it seems to be that the NTSB is going with "multiple operating errors"

unfortunate

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: