Quantcast shoes - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shoes

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to wear running shoes, get some good socks. Wicking socks (basically polyester/lycra blend) that are NOT COTTON will do miracles for keeping blisters away.
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of the girly cros (not the ones you see at the parks) but the ones that have a sort like canvas over the top of the foot with a criss cross of material. Those are good for work with hose but they are NOT GOOD FOR THE PARKS. DH wore crocs this last time and while they weren't that bad for most of the trip he ended up with a couple blisters (he wore socks with them) and they were killing him at the end of 3 days.
    I'm going to reconsider my crocs for next trip.

I have a pair of Merrell shoes for nursing and they are fabulous. I have honest to God never had my feet hurt at work. Maybe my back a little from sitting in those chairs, but NEVER MY FEET!!! (and I work 12 hour shifts). I am going to look for some easy to walk around in (the ones i have now are clog like) for the next trip! OR any trip for that matter.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Grinning Marathon Runner View Post
    If you want to wear running shoes, get some good socks. Wicking socks (basically polyester/lycra blend) that are NOT COTTON will do miracles for keeping blisters away.
    I need to tell DH this. We both got blisters bad last time.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessat37 View Post
    what kind of shoes have you comfortably worn to the parks? i fear sneakers would get hot and possibly wet, so i need a comfortable sandal, actually a flip flop would be preferred. something with good arch support. any suggestions?
    i could use recommendations for little girl's shoes too.
    How far do you plan on walking in a day? The
    walking is easy. Its the standing that kills you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post
    I need to tell DH this. We both got blisters bad last time.
    Go for it! You can usually get a pack of 5 or 6 at a sporting goods store for around $5. The ones I prefer are sometmes called "sock liners" and are the thinnest they have. Some of the socks are the dri-fit on the bottom with a cotton upper, which helps, but for me when I run really long distances, the sock liners work best.

And as we know from other threads, average walking distance per day in the parks is around 8 miles, so I'd consider that a longer distance!

The cotton socks are just abrasive on your feet for some reason, and these newer technology (actually just old school polyester mainly) help a lot! I hope this little tip helps!
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair of hiking/walking sneakers. They are solid support for a big guy like me.

I tried Crocs our first day last summer in DHS and was more than miserable -- I think my feet were never in more pain in my life. Had to stay off them the whole next day. That said, my DW wore some and love them. Might be that more, shall we say "portly" Disney Fanatics need to stay away from the Crocs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy712 View Post
    Does WDW sell the Disney Croc flipflops in their stores in the resort?
    As far as I can recall, yes. My DW bought hers in MCO (Orlando airport) near our arrival gate. Wore them the whole week.

Post Thanks / Like

wow! a lot of great advice! thanks everyone! i'm liking the birki's and merrell thongs.
    i fear wearing sneakers because honestly, my feet sweat a lot. i envision blisters and althetes foot.
    maybe crocs will be enogh for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by anewvision View Post
    How far do you plan on walking in a day? The
    walking is easy. Its the standing that kills you.
    i've never been so i have no idea. we plan to see and do as much as possible because who knows when we'll make it back again.

Post Thanks / Like

sneakers ar the way to go for us . I need my nikes.

Post Thanks / Like

I would strongly suggest not to wear flip flops in 2 scenarios (both I think aply to WDW):
    1. If you are going to be on your feet all day.
    2. In large crowds.

People always think, "I wear my flip flops all the time and do lots of walking in them." That may be true but being on them all day and for repeated days like at WDW is different and flip flops are not made with the proper support for all that standing and walking.

I also volunteer with a national youth event that draws large crowds (around 37,000 people). The number one (occured the most) medical emergency that we had at our last event was from accidents with flip flops. Things like toes being stepped on, people tripping, heels being stepped on, blisters, flip flops getting caught in things like escalators. Flip flops are a bad idea for being in large crowds of people.

Flip flops are comfortable, but save them for at the hotel or at the pool or for times when you are not on your feet all day. Go for sandals with good arch support or tennis shoes or at least sandals with straps in the back.

If you are going to wear flip flops or sandals, the tip on here about sunscreen is a great one!
    June, 1990 - MK, Epcot -Off Site Hotel - Sang on stage & Marched in parade at MK
    Feb. '05 - DL, DCA - Off Site Hotel
    Feb. '07 - All Parks, DT - AKL
    May '08 - All Parks, DT - AKL & POP - 4 day Disney Cruise
    Jan. '13 DL, DCA, DT -Off Site Hotel
    Nov. '13 All Parks, DT - POP & Swan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaDisney View Post
    I would strongly suggest not to wear flip flops in 2 scenarios (both I think aply to WDW):
    2. In large crowds.

People always think, "I wear my flip flops all the time and do lots of walking in them." That may be true but being on them all day and for repeated days like at WDW is different and flip flops are not made with the proper support for all that standing and walking.
    I used to think the same thing when I'd see people in flip flops at Disney. That is, until I got my Birki's. They look like flip flops but they do not wear like flip flops. And they do have the support needed for a full day in the parks. But I understand what you're saying about flip flops in general.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to always wear nothing but Merrell Close-Toe Sandals ... but when I got back from my last trip, my feet were killing me and my doctor told me I gave myself a killer case of plantar fasciitis ... probably from walking around in flat sandals for 20 miles a day when my feet needed more arch support. Guess that's a side effect of being older and fatter than I used to be.

Anyway, this trip around I've got a nice pair of air-cusioned running shoes with an orthotic insert, and I'm bringing a backup pair of waterproof hiking shoes for when I hit AK and Kali River Rapids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaDisney View Post
    2. In large crowds.

I also volunteer with a national youth event that draws large crowds (around 37,000 people). The number one (occured the most) medical emergency that we had at our last event was from accidents with flip flops. Things like toes being stepped on, people tripping, heels being stepped on, blisters, flip flops getting caught in things like escalators. Flip flops are a bad idea for being in large crowds of people.

Flip flops are comfortable, but save them for at the hotel or at the pool or for times when you are not on your feet all day. Go for sandals with good arch support or tennis shoes or at least sandals with straps in the back.

If you are going to wear flip flops or sandals, the tip on here about sunscreen is a great one!
    As a podiatrist, I couldn't agree more with this post. It is very true. A flip-flop or flimsy sandal is not made for walking around many miles at WDW. Generally a supportive running shoe is best to prevent tendonitis, fasciitis, etc. It is amazing the number of patients I have that are young women who have done too much in a flimsy sandal or flip-flop (or quite frankly barefoot) who show up with foot pain.

HOWEVER, before people start saying they wear fip-flops all the time with no problems, I will say everyone is different. If you are going to wear a sandal, typically a croc is not good for walking (standing is more what they MAY be good for). Some others on here have mentioned some good brands of sandals with arch support and not open back but with a strap.

Just my opinion When people argue that going barefoot is natural I always answer back that barefoot on concrete is not.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought Teva Dozer sandal/shoes and LOVE them! I need arch support and they are wonderful. Since i have gotten them, I don't wear anything else. Last weekend we went hiking in the woods and they were awesome. They are waterproof, comfortable, and a great mix between sandals with the openness, but sneakers with the closed toe and heel. Zappos is where i bought mine and my boyfriends and sisters.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"

Next Trip: Sept. 5-12!!!!
    Celebrating my princess's 5th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

I wear worn out old navy flip flops!!!
    Too many times to count before NOW! 40+

Next trips planned Jan.1-6 2013 ~ ORANGE LAKE RESORT

Post Thanks / Like

If your afraid of your shoes getting wet wear Crocs. Last time I was down there I wore crocs everywhere but EPCOT. I brought both Crocs and my sneakers with me just in case I need Them
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcswife View Post
    I wear worn out old navy flip flops!!!
    DD wore these the whole time and was fine!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8rgirl29 View Post
    Ouch, that sounds painful!! I can't stand when flip flops get wet. They get too slippery!!
    Slippery is right! We did some FUN-ny walking... Every now and then we'd get going too fast and do a little dance. DD kept saying she was just "doing the little flower dance" (Flower and Garden Festival was going on...)
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I've gone before I've just gone in my regular sneakers and have been ok. Next time we go it looks like we'll be going at a hotter time of the year due to college/university timetables. For this reason I may look around for a decent pair of sandals, the hard-wearing sort which are good for walking.

Main piece of advice I can think of that no one has (to my knowledge) mentioned yet is don't go in brand new shoes. Always have the shoes for a few weeks first at least to wear them in. They will be more comfortable on your feet and greatly reduce your chances of foot pains or blisters.
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Last year for our August trip, I took my Keen sandals and my sneakers (Nike running shoes). My other half took a good pair of Nike walking shoes and Keen sandals. We both ending up wearing he Keen sandals a lot more. They're very comfortalbe, give good support, and can get wet, and keep your feet cool.

One of the best pairs of sandals I have ever had.
    August 2009- Port Orleans French Quarter for 7 Magical days!

August 2008- Port Orleans French Quarter for 7 fantastic days!

May 1996 (Memorial Day Weekend) Only 1 day, but visited all 3 parks!

One of the world's biggest Donald Duck fans!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: