Quantcast Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by johnO View Post
    2 possible deaths in Los Angeles..
    Media is now reporting that the LA Medical Examiner is stating emphatically that those two deaths are DEFINITELY NOT related to this virus.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this discussion has missed the mark. The real issue with this new virus should be - "How deadly is it?"

Reports so far have been favorable. But it may be too early to tell. It doesn't appear this virus is anywhere near as potent as the 1918 strain, that literally could kill a healthy adult in less than 48 hours. But this is still a new strain - a genetic shift - allowing no natural immunity for people worldwide. Talk of living conditions elsewhere misses the point. We are all vunerable.

I plan to be at WDW in June. I have no intention of changing plans. But that said, caution is warranted. News and information is welcome. Panic is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Statistically speaking around 1000 each year in the US die from the regular flu so this is not as big of a deal as it seems and the media makes it much larger. I am going in June and have no plans to cancel or would even consider it.
    Deb
    2012 Jan ALSM
    2011 July POFQ
    2010 July POR
    2009-Oct 3 days POFQ
    2009-June POFQ
    2008-Aug OKW
    2007-June WL
    2007-Jan POFQ
    2006-July Polynesian
    2005-June OKW
    2004-July BCV
    2004-Jan off site
    2003-July FWC
    2003-Dec/Jan CS
    2002-June OKW
    2000-July POFQ
    1999-July OKW
    1998-July OKW
    Have a Disney Day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by castlelady36 View Post
    Statistically speaking around 1000 each year in the US die from the regular flu so this is not as big of a deal as it seems and the media makes it much larger. I am going in June and have no plans to cancel or would even consider it.
    According to this article from CNN the number of people that die from the "regular" flu or complications annually is more like 36,000. But you have to also take into consideration that there is a vaccine for that flu and none for the current version of the swine flu. Another report stated that the US Government sees a worst case scenario of 2 million deaths in the US from this. Not sure what worst case entails, and thats still less than 1% of population. You just hate to be in that statistic.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28...flu/index.html
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

ok, just a few points to bring out...

anyone remember bird flu, dengue fever, sars, and such? this is just another one of these diseases that come and go...

second, REGULAR flu kills hundreds of people here in the US of A each year...

third...basic hygene will prevent most diseases. be smart, be healthy, and be sanitary and you will be fine.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

They just confirmed that a toddler in TX died from the flu.

But you have to think, just because someone around you has the flu, doesn't mean you are going to get it, especially if you take precautions and aren't around that person. So even if there are incidents in your area and you or a family member are in direct contact with them unknowingly, you won't necessarily get it. Even if you are in contact, if you wash your hands and follow the medical precautions, chances are you won't come down with it. Panicking doesn't help anyone except to make people worry needlessly. Being in a public place like WDW there is always going to be something circulating but that doesn't mean we all are going to get whatever it is.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

We leave tomorrow for WDW and I am not really worried. I have gone over again with my boys (8&9) about hand washing and we are bringing lysol and purell. But really if you think about WDW and places like it how many people have TB? How many have AIDS? I feel like you need to be aware and as clean as possible. Avoid obviously ill, but really if you had the normal flu are you going to walk around a park?
    So I hope everything will be fine.
    I know you
    I walked with you once upon a dream.
    We've Stayed at GF, AKL, BW, BC, CR, FW Cabins, CS, CBR, AS Music, POP, POFQ, OKW,SSR
    Last Trip: SSR April 2015
    Next Trip: Yacht Club Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doodleboy View Post
    According to this article from CNN the number of people that die from the "regular" flu or complications annually is more like 36,000. But you have to also take into consideration that there is a vaccine for that flu and none for the current version of the swine flu. Another report stated that the US Government sees a worst case scenario of 2 million deaths in the US from this. Not sure what worst case entails,.........

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28...flu/index.html

Worst case would be that this virus is -
    1. Highly contagious, easily transmitted from person to person.
    2. Virulent, able to kill an infected person within hours.
    3. Resistant, unaffected by available medication.

Thankfully, this virus does not seem to be a "worst case" bug. Reports so far are describing it as only moderately worse than seasonal flu. But it is early in all this. If this virus does in fact cause a pandemic, these types of things take a couple of years to play out. So at this point, all cases of infected individuals bear watching. Stay tuned.....

Post Thanks / Like

Glory, will somebody shoot the press? Why do they thrive on creating panic.?

Disease aside, Y2K had people paralyzed with fear, and eveytime somebody gets sick with something new the news media paints the worst kind of scenario.

Live your life with sensible caution, and have a good time without paranoia. SOMETHING will get all of us in time - why spend our years worrying about "everything"?
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

I just returned from a trip to the pediatrician with my son for a check on his cold/seasonal allergies. I asked the dr what she thinks about the swine flu and mentioned that we were traveling to Disney this weekend. She was not overly concerned and recommended that we take the same precautions we normally take during flu season. Her recommendations included everything that has already been mentioned here (wash hands with soap/water, use Purell, stay away from others that appear sick, watch for symptoms of flu and go to the dr if we are sick). She did seem relieved that we are driving to FL instead of flying, but just said to have a great time.

So we will be arriving at Disney on Sunday (with lysol spray) and we are ready for a Magical vacation!
    Many visits from 1973 to 1998 - Off site
    9/2000: Polynesian (Honeymoon)
    10/2001: POR (Mansions)
    10/2003: POR (Mansions)
    11/2004: Polynesian
    8/2008: POR (Alligator Bayou) *Twin sons 1st visit*
    5/2009: Wilderness Lodge
    11/2009: POFQ
    11/2010: POFQ
    9/11: Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    ...REGULAR flu kills hundreds of people here in the US of A each year...
    According to CDC's acting Director, the "regular" flu kills approximately thirty-six thousand people in the US annually.

Disney Cruise Line has decided NOT to stop in Cozumel on the next Western Caribbean Cruise, which departs Port Canaveral on May 2; they will be making a stop in Nassau instead. Given the circumstances, seems like a wise decision.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    Live your life with sensible caution, and have a good time without paranoia. SOMETHING will get all of us in time - why spend our years worrying about "everything"?
    We share your philosphy.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

So my dd7's school sent home a notice yesterday stating (in a nutshell)...

Wash hands often w/soap & water, cover mouth & nose with tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing, use ALCOHOL-BASED hand sanitizer, stay home if ill, seek medical attention, and avoid contact with sick individuals. Other than that, it does not seem like there is much that anyone can do.

I sat down with my dd7 and explained what was happening and that it was VERY important to wash our hands regularly so we don't get sick. I told her that I would get her a bottle of sanitizer of her very own. I will even donate a few larger bottles for the classroom...it can't hurt. My dd7's old school used to have large bottles of sanitizer and had the children use it throughout the day...she wished her new school did the same thing. What a smart cookie!!!

Anyway, the point of my story is that there was barely ANY hand sanitizer left on the shelf!!! I think I may stock up on a few bottles ...just in case the Swine Flu takes a while to get under control. It still seems like it is mostly occuring in individuals who have visitied Mexico or have been in close contact with individuals who visitied Mexico during the outbreak.

I do feel that it is a virus and we just need to be extra mindful of who is around us and to wash hands frequently as well as use sanitizer.

Whew!!!!....thanks for letting me get all that out.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MOJoe;1878541]Worst case would be that this virus is -
    1. Highly contagious, easily transmitted from person to person.
    2. Virulent, able to kill an infected person within hours.
    3. Resistant, unaffected by available medication.

A technical point- the worst case scenario would be that it would kill an infected person, but take its time doing so. Infections that kill people quickly are less likely to spread because a dead person is not walking around spreading it to others.
    -Jim ("My name's Jim, but most people call me...Jim") Born 10/1/71- The day WDW opened! "A new life has begun, when two of us are one, and we live to keep the promise- we'll go on."

Post Thanks / Like

Candle...I just read that they (CDC) believe that the virus has mutated to avoid killing off its host (humans) and that it is common for viruses to do just that. Thus making the virus more easily passed from human to human, yet not highly life threatening.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense...
    viruses simply want to survive, just like us. So if we die, the virus that we have dies too. So there is an advantage for the virus to not kill as it allows it to reproduce and spread.

Obviously, BTW, viruses don't "want" anything, it's just easier to use terms like that to explain things!
    -Jim ("My name's Jim, but most people call me...Jim") Born 10/1/71- The day WDW opened! "A new life has begun, when two of us are one, and we live to keep the promise- we'll go on."

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!! That was funny Candle...I guess we should say the "goal of a virus is to thrive and replicate".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nini5055 View Post
    LOL!!!! That was funny Candle...I guess we should say the "goal of a virus is to thrive and replicate".
    Exactly right. In order to get to its next host a virus that is spread through contact or close contact it needs us to be up and walking around.

Highly virulent viruses/bacteria are most commonly spread through insects so you can be lyinging in bed alone and still spread it around the neighboorhood.

Another important point is that the swine flu may very well take a break in the US for a couple of months with the start of the summer season. Flu viruses don't spread well during summers. This could give the WHO some time to get a handle on the genetics of the virus and better inform the public on how worried we need to be come next flu season.

Post Thanks / Like

I WOULD STILL GO!

Remember, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!

This should already be common practice in your lives to prevent the spread of a LOT OF BUGS!
    12/98' Caribbean Beach
    2/00' Dixie Landings
    11/01' Port Orleans-RS
    11/03' Port Orleans-RS
    2/05' Beach Club Villas
    3/07' Port Orleans-RS
    2/08' All Star Sports (for 1.5 days, but we still count it!)
    12/09' Port Orleans-FQ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swine Flu

It's too bad that we have this situation going on, but, this thread makes for great reading. On the other hand, I packed my Clorox wipes, soap, and hand sanitizer for this Sunday's upcoming trip. All of you have done a wonderful job communicating this information. Way to go!!!
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: