Quantcast Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking WDW on Sunday May 3rd

We are leaving for Disney Sunday May 3rd. I think we will be A-okay.
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point its a matter of normal precautions one should always take: handwashing regularly, don't touch your mouth until you handwash, try to avoid people with colds. Panic is definitely not on the agenda.

We went through the SARS thing big time at the hospital where we both worked so we saw first hand the meaning of the WHO's levels and government reactions. What's happening in both our countries right now is not panic but following protocols, many developed from SARS, and the level of concern is actually very low compared to a severe outbreak like SARS was. The authorities will tell us if there is a reason for a strong reaction and concern that develops, but the protocols are designed to reduce that possibility.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrkcr View Post
    Well, I am lying in bed, sick with something that I assume is NOT swine flu! I have not started to snort or grow a pig nose...

But I have a pretty bad fever, chills, swollen painful lymph nodes along my jaw and underarms, sneezing,and a very ugly fever blister and swollen lip. I look terrible. But I feel ok mostly.

I've been sick since Saturday. I spent all day yesterday cleaning the whole house with clorox wipes, spraying lysol, washing bedding. I wiped down every light switch and door knob and telephone! The only things I didn't clorox was my pets and children!

Aren't you all glad I'm staying home and NOT traveling in a plane with you?

My advice:
    Avoid sick looking people like me!!
    Wash your hands often and keep them away from your face.
    Relax, and have a great vacation!
    Sending a little your way! Sounds rough!
    We are definitely keeping our plans to travel to the Magic, but will probably be a little more cautious this time.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to let this affect my planned trip to WDW (19 days!!!). I will wash my hands more often and be more careful about not touching my face. The clorox wipes are already packed (I have to disinfect all solid surfaces in a hotel room..bluck!) as is the hand sanitizer. Unless there is some major development, I will be on a plane ready to go!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Default a doc's advice

I'm a family physician. I'm not an alarmist, but another flu pandemic is not a question of if, it's a question of when. On the other hand, you can't live in a bubble. In 2 weeks, My pregnant wife, my 3 young boys, and I are heading to WDW and the outbreak has given me pause. We are definitely going to go, but last night I sat my boys down (ages 4,5, and 6) and re-emphasized the importance of NOT touching their eyes, nose, or mouth without cleaning their hands. I told them they will get a dollar each day that I don't see them do so. I explained to them that the flu is a tiny germ that can make them very sick. It's a delicate balance between preserving their innocence and not scaring your children, and protecting their health and teaching them about the real world.

And while I agree with the sentiment that the news in general tends to make things sound worse than they are for ratings, believe me that this threat is very real and growing by the hour. I am very close with the head of the health department in my county- they are ordering gloves and masks by the bunches and working on securing anti-viral medications. They had an emergency meeting this morning and are taking this threat VERY seriously.

I think a little fear and panic is a good thing-if anything our human nature is to underestimate threats not over estimate because we can't accept that somthing this bad will REALLY happen. So enjoy WDW- I know I will. But be diligent- educate your kids, wash your hands a lot, and avoid people on buses etc. that are acting sick.
    -Jim ("My name's Jim, but most people call me...Jim") Born 10/1/71- The day WDW opened! "A new life has begun, when two of us are one, and we live to keep the promise- we'll go on."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toad_Passenger View Post
    I really wouldn't worry too much at this point. As someone pointed out, there are very few cases in the US so far. In addition all of those people had traveled to Mexico, or had contact with someone who was in Mexico recently.

It's unfortunate that we live in a media-fueled society, and they seem to enjoy creating wildfires. The important information can be found amongst the fear-mongering by the media. Wash your hands and, if you have any flu symptoms seek treatment immediately. I really think the deaths in Mexico are more a testament to some of the living/health care conditions in that country as opposed to the virulence of this virus.

The virus in the US has been easily treated with readily available medicines.

Don't worry and enjoy the vacation!
    well said!
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Post Thanks / Like

I think another reason why things like this spread so quickly is because we are so ready to medicate for everything and our immune systems aren't as strong as they were years ago. When I was little, I very seldom got sick and if I did, it was over quickly. Now when we get a cold, seems like it hangs on forever. Maybe it is the strains we have now but that also is because they mutate to avoid all the medications.

The kids in NY had been to Mexico on Spring Break. There aren't any cases in our state yet even though they are preparing and cautioning people but at one high school here there was a group of students that just came back from a cruise to Mexico. None of them are sick but they have told them to watch for symptoms. I wonder about the people on cruises right now if they are even letting them off the ship in Cancun and other ports. Of course, people on cruises get sick anyway a lot of the time now even when there isn't something like this going around. That is one reason why DH won't take a cruise with me. He catches everything that comes along.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Great! Fox news just reported that a hospital in Orlando has a tourist from Mexico with the swine flu...They reported that the tourist was on vacation at WDW. We are leaving 3 weeks!
    Zip A Dee Doo Dah…Zip A Dee Day
    More Disney Fun Is On The Way
    Stay Tuned For Lots Of Fun Things
    To Zip A Dee Doo During Your Stay
    Up Next ~ Water Parks! Retro Resort TV

If you can't be there...be here!

Now Wishing I Was Standing In Line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WED1901 View Post
    Great! Fox news just reported that a hospital in Orlando has a tourist from Mexico with the swine flu...They reported that the tourist was on vacation at WDW. We are leaving 3 weeks!
    First and foremost in these situations, listen to what the authorities who are dealing with this say. Don't panic and listen to the message they give. If they say just take standard precautions (i.e lots of handwashing, stay at home if sick, etc.) then do that. If they say to do other things then do those as well. But don't decide that the world is coming to an end or that its dangerous to do things. At this point, just stay alert.

Panic is actually the worst thing anyone can do. Until told to do otherwise just keep on with your plans.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hull-onian View Post
    We are leaving for Disney Sunday May 3rd. I think we will be A-okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    First and foremost in these situations, listen to what the authorities who are dealing with this say. Don't panic and listen to the message they give. If they say just take standard precautions (i.e lots of handwashing, stay at home if sick, etc.) then do that. If they say to do other things then do those as well. But don't decide that the world is coming to an end or that its dangerous to do things. At this point, just stay alert.

Panic is actually the worst thing anyone can do. Until told to do otherwise just keep on with your plans.
    again.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to interject that that case of flu that Fox reported is UNCONFIRMED by health officials at this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WED1901 View Post
    Contrary to what Fox News has reported, there is no confirmed case of Swine Flu in Orlando, at least as of yet. The Orlando Sentinel reports that Florida Hospital has sent off swabs for testing but that results will not be known for a couple of days. The Orange County Health Department also states that there are no confirmed cases in the area at this time.

There will undoubtedly be many more cases of swine flu diagnosed in the U.S. in the coming days, not necessarily because of how fast it is spreading, but because Health Departments are aggressively researching any possible cases amongst those treated for flu-like symptoms recently. For example, Houston health officials have sent out several swabs also for testing and it's probably a given that there will be some cases in a city this large. However, this is not a time to panic--just be prepared with getting plenty of sleep, eating healthy, frequent hand-washing and all the other hygenic things that we do to stave off any kind of illness.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    There will undoubtedly be many more cases of swine flu diagnosed in the U.S. in the coming days, not necessarily because of how fast it is spreading, but because Health Departments are aggressively researching any possible cases amongst those treated for flu-like symptoms recently. For example, Houston health officials have sent out several swabs also for testing and it's probably a given that there will be some cases in a city this large.
    And, because of the time it takes to get these tests back, many of these "new" cases will actually be people who've already been on medicine and possibly in full recovery by that time. That's why the numbers aren't always telling the whole truth.
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

Question

For those medically in the know...are face masks the prudent choice on an airplane at this time?

I am fine with going to WDW and bringing hand sanitizer and clorox wipes for the room...but I am just not sure if the face mask on the airplane is a "must do"??? Any advice isappreciated....

Post Thanks / Like

It made me chuckle to read that the UK is telling their citizens to limit travel to Mexico AND the US. Has the US ever been on the Do Not Visit List before?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

2 possible deaths in Los Angeles..
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Not to feed the fire, but I thought this link was interesting for those following the spread of this.

http://outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

I am visiting WDW on May 7 and plan to proceed with my trip. But frankly the most frightening part of the trip for me is being trapped on the airplane with a potenial carrier. The way that planes recycle air is not good in situations like this one. Once I get off the plane I will feel bettter about the whole thing.
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

After all the panic this morning, here's the latest news on the case in Orlando:

This is from Fox News who reported this morning that a tourist from Mexico visiting WDW had been confirmed to have swine flu:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - During a news conference Tuesday afternoon Dr. Scott Brady from Florida Hospital said there are no confirmed cases of Swine Flu in Orlando.

Earlier in the day there were reports that a person visiting Disney World tested positive for Swine Flu. Dr. Brady says a person visiting from Mexico and staying in south Orlando had flu like symptoms, the same as you would find with influenza a or b. On Sunday the person went to the Centra Care facility in Lake Buena Vista where it was determined that the person had influenza A which Swine Flu falls under. The person was then sent to Florida Hospital where a culture was taken and sent to a state lab in Jacksonville for testing. It will take 48 hours to know if it is indeed the swine flu.

Dr. Brady says the rumor about this case came from an e-mail sent from Florida Hospital with tips on how to avoid the virus. There was a note in there that there could be a case from someone visiting Disney. He says this was not an official note and there was not confirmation of the case. The person sending the e-mail should not have made assumptions about a possible case. Dr. Brady says confirmation of a swine flu case if there is one will go into the Orange County Health Department.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

That map of incidents is very misleading as it shows "possible" and "unconfirmed" cases. I prefer to go on confirmed incidents only...and even those (as others have pointed out) are already in recovery. Individuals are hospitalized every year from the flu.

A map like that is only likely to cause major panic.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: