Quantcast New Years at DW

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: New Years at DW

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Years at DW

I am thinking of planning a trip to Disney World for Christmas-New Years in the next couple of years and I was wondering what is New Years Eve like at Disney World?

What park is the best for New Years Eve?

Is there something/anything special that goes on?

Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Whirlwind trip in '96 *1 day all 3 parks*

Aug '08 - Wilderness Lodge (6 days) - Honeymoon Suite
    Aug '08 Coronado Springs (2 days)

May '09 - POP (8 days)

May '11 - POP (8 days)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymamaof5 View Post
    I am thinking of planning a trip to Disney World for Christmas-New Years in the next couple of years and I was wondering what is New Years Eve like at Disney World?

What park is the best for New Years Eve?

Is there something/anything special that goes on?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

To sum it up in one word - CROWDED! If I'm not mistaken the week between Christmas and New Year's is the busiest week of the year for WDW.

We celebrated New Year's Eve at Epcot a couple years ago and I will never, ever do it again. Every park was filled to capacity. MK was full by 11am. As spread out as Epcot is, the World Showcase was wall-to-wall people. If you don't mind humongous crowds, not being able to ride anything, like to party, then this is the place to be.

As far as anything special going on, there were several DJs around the park. Everyone was given hats and noisemakers. It was a huge celebration; they make a big to-do out of it. That part was fun. It was just the crowds and large amounts of people who consumed too much alcohol that ruined it for us. That's not our scene.
    Jenn

1974 * 1985 * 1993 * 1997 * 1997 * 2000 * 2002 * 2004 * 2005
    Oct 06 CBR/AKL
    Dec 06 ASM
    Oct 07 POP
    June 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 SSR
    Jan 09 SSR
    May/June 09 BCV/AKV
    Aug 09 AKV
    Oct 09 AKV
    Christmas 09 BLT
    May/June 2011 CBR
    May/June 2012 AKV

Post Thanks / Like

We were just there this past Dec. 28-31. I think the recession had some affect, or I'm used to attacking the parks, because it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. That being said, you must have a plan!!! We made it to rope drop every day but didn't stay on property so we avoided parks with EMH in the am. We did Epcot on the 31st and were able to do a lot by noon. We had to leave at that time and there were hundreds of people pouring in the parks, but we had done pretty much everything we wanted to by that time anyway. So you can do it if you get up early and stick to your plan. Ask others on this board for help, or send me a PM and I'll tell you how/what we did. Good luck. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what park is the right one to go to but I can say that its not MK...
    I do believe we would have been better off at our resort watching the ball drop on tv...
    I did love being in the park during the day but after dark it just seemed crazy...
    We actually stood on a bridge and could not move for about 5 min...Coming and going was at a stand still...
    Attitudes were the worst...I was run over about 3 times that day and line jumpers were about to drive me over the edge...I told my DH that I was going to start walking with my elbows out to protect myself from all of the people running into me...
    I was never so glad to get on a bus and leave like I did that night...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

My family has been at wdw for NYE many times. We love it! It is crowded but its a fun, exciting crowd. We like Epcot the best for NYE. Avoid MK, that's not a fun crowd - it's a scary crowd.

Like the person above stated - get their as the park opens and have a plan. You can still do a lot and get on the big rides by being there very early in the day and using fastpass.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

We've done NYE in wdw the last three years and throughly enjoyed it each year (otherwise I suppose we would have only done it once). However, we go with expectations that it will be super busy and plan accordingly. for us that has meant doing new years eve creatively and doing it outside of the parks. (The first year we tried to start it in DS, but after a while we tired of the mobs and punted for a plan B).

Our plan B's have been to use the day to visit resorts and eat at resort restaurants we haven't tried before...we've actually had pretty good luck eating late lunches and dinners at most of the resorts...I guess the folks (almost all the resort guests) are in the parks & are scared to leave because they might not get back in... so far we've been able to pretty much eat anywhere where we like (last new years eve day we had reservations at the Kona and Whispering Canyon)

The rest of our plan B has been to watch fireworks from some varying vantage points...

One year we watched from the back floor of the 60s building (overlooking the lake) at the Pop and were able to watch a panorama of four or five fireworks shows simultaneously (all the disney ones and I guess shows from univeral, seaworld, or whatever municipalities were shooting)...it was great.

We have also watched MK fireworks on NYE from both the GF and Poly...be aware that we've been told (from other posters here) that sometimes these areas are closed to folks who are not staying at that particular resort...but we've never encountered that issue.

Another option is to spend the evening at the boardwak enjoying the steeet entertainment, riding surry bikes, eating ice cream and then watching the fireworks at DS form outside the main gate.

As you can tell we're fireworks junkies...so these options work well for us...we've also been fortunate enough to vist several times in thelast few years (not always on our nickel) and thus if we don't get to ride something its no big deal because we figure we will get it next time.

However, if its super important to your crew to ride everything, you best get to the parks for rope drop...always keep a fastpass, and run as hard as you can till things pack out...and then do some of the less popular, but still enjoyable attractions. just do it with the foreknowledge that it will be crazy busy.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

We're planning on going to FL on the 29th and enjoy the Christmas decorations, check out the resorts, and not do a whole lot ride-wise until at least the 1st. We are thinking about staying at the CR and will probably stay there at midnight since we have a theme-park view. Then we have until January 9th to do a "normal" Disney trip, enjoying the rides and things that we normally would do once the crowd dies down. Kind of combining 2 trips into one!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: