Quantcast Seven Seas Lagoon

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seven Seas Lagoon

When we stayed at the GF a few years back, you were not allowed to go into the Seven Seas Lagoon. My husband and son were building a sandcastle and were getting buckets of water from the Lagoon. They were told by one of the lifeguards that you couldn't even step foot in the lagoon. It was a big no-no.

This past summer we stayed at the Poly and there were all kinds of people swimming in the lagoon. Not once did I see a lifeguard chase people out of the water.

Is the Seven Seas Lagoon off limits or what?

Just wondering...
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding that swimming is prohibited in Bay Lake/the Seven Seas Lagoon due to an amoeba which causes a specific fatal disease. It is also my understanding that this is a good part of why River Country was closed (that & the fact they built the water parks).

That being said, both DH and I saw more people swimming & playing in the water than ever before this past trip in July. Like you, we never saw any CMs working the boat docks or boat rentals chasing anyone away. Did the rules change? Also, how can they rent jet-skis or advertise water-skiing at Sammy Duvall's if the water is "toxic"? OK, ok, maybe toxic is too strong a word here . . . but if it's dangerous, why would they allow these other water sports which immerse you in the water?
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a Florida resident, but I know there's something that can thrive in the very warm water, which could be very dangerous if ingested or enters the body through a cut. They may have been extra vigilant on your trip if there were high levels of that present. There are signs posted, so I guess many people just choose to ignore them and they don't have the staff to police it all the time.

For what it's worth, I've also seen an aligator in the cove area by the Luau entrance.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Not only were people swimming during the day, they were swimming at night during the fireworks show.

That's scary that someone saw an alligator near the lagoon! We spent every evening watching the fireworks from the beach and never once thought that "creatures" may be lurking.
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

Post Thanks / Like

Warm lake water can be loaded with bacteria, ( as well as swimmingpools- I am a pool man by trade, and rarely ever use a "public" pool due to the laxed water chemistry. Several times I have brought my own testing equioment and found unfavorable results ),however it is possible to control. I'm not sure if rules changed, and I wouldn't think that they have, other than dirty water, there are many other possible dangers there as well. I have seen alligators along the waterways, usually off to the sides, many times while riding the resort monorails I've seen them. It must be assumed that every body of water in Florida has alligators!
    Disney would be risking alot to allow swimming. My bet is that the people simply choose to ignore the signs ad never think that anything bad can happen to them.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband felt like a heel after getting a couple of buckets of water for the sandcastle he was building with our 3 year old. I think the sign said "no swimming" so he thought it would be OK to use lagoon water, versus getting sand in the pool with the "sandy" bucket.

We didn't go anywhere near the water on this last trip. Does anyone know if the posted signs warn of bacteria in the lagoon?
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

Post Thanks / Like

Let me start by saying that this isn't directed at any of the previous posters.

I guess the folks that were swimming in the lake felt like there were "Entitled" to do so since they paid so much to stay there.

There are signs posted everywhere that read "No Swimming".

I guess I am in a little bit of a ranting mood...besides, I love snob bashing.

Just my
    Randy

It all started with a mouse. WD

*85 thru 98 - Offsite
    *Oct 99 - CBR
    *Aug 02 - CBR
    *May 03 - Offsite
    *May 05 - POFQ
    *Sept 05 - POFQ
    *June 07 - Offsite
    *July 07 - Offsite
    *Oct 07 - POFQ
    *Dec 07 - Offsite
    *May 08 - Offsite
    *Sept 08 - CBR
    *May 09 - POFQ
    *Lost count!

Post Thanks / Like

The reason the bacteria is not an issue for the waterskiers is because it is around the bottom of the water so that is why it is not a good idea from the shore. My main concern when I see kids in or near the water, especially at night is the alligators. Yes they are there, Yes I have photos of them and there were even photos posted somewhere of them laying on the beach at the Polynesian. If you have ever read about alligator attacks they get things that are close to shore faster than you can blink. I am totally surprised that it has not happened yet but I don’t want my kid to be the first. No activity is worth that risk to me. I have told parents that have let their little ones in or near the water by themselves not to and they look at me like I am crazy.

I have seen people feed the gators and that makes them less affraid of people.

Here is a good example of how they can surprise you. This is about the size of the one found on the Polynesian beach and there is a larger one at the golf course across from the Polynesian.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/23/St...nds_off_.shtml

Post Thanks / Like

all of this no swimming in the lagoon anymore really upsets me being that it is such a huge part of my childhood memories and it stinks that the kids of this generation or years to come will never get to experience what a wonderful time my family had in the lagoon.

POFQ - November 2014
    POFQ - April 2013
    POFQ - February 2012
    CSR - January/February 2011
    CSR - April/May 2010
    CSR - November 2009
    CSR - April/May 2009
    POP - December 2008
    Contemporary - October 2007 *Honeymoon*
    POP - February 2006
    Poly - 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie4me View Post

...besides, I love snob bashing.

Snob Bashing!

Very good!

Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that it's FL state law prohibiting swimming in fresh water bodies due to an amoeba that thrives in warm temps. The risk is that it can be thrust into the lungs by splashing water or ingesting water accidentally while swimming, usually with force and not through simple swallowing. And maybe through cuts but I haven't heard that. It is fatal if ingested. Anyone engaging in water sports does take a risk but the risk is greater along the bottom, apparently. There have been numerous threads on this in the past, usually on the subject of closing River Country.

Simply taking buckets of water from the lagoon shouldn't pose a hazard, unless the worry was gators, as previously mentioned. But why risk? And there are indeed No Swimming signs all over the place. I'm surprised the lifeguards on duty wouldn't say anything about the swimming.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Alligators are scary, scary creatures.

Being from rural Illinois, alligators don't even register on the radar. About the only animals we watch out for are raccoons and the occasional coyote.

What does Disney do if there is an alligator spotted on the beach?
    '00 - Boardwalk Villas
    '04 - Grand Floridian
    '08 - Polynesian
    '10 - Grand Floridian!!!

GO WHITE SOX!

Post Thanks / Like

I use to think they removed them but last May when we were warned of a large gator that is seem laying on the greens of the golf course across from the Polynesian, they seem to just move them off and not catch them. I would guess that if they become a problem they will remove them but there will always be others. On 3 occasions I have photographed gators in the Magic Kingdom, Seven Seas lagoon and in waterways around the golf course.

Day or night I do not let me small son within a few feet of the water’s edge. They even tell you at the golf course not to get your ball if it is close to the water. You won’t even see it coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MicMouse View Post
    What does Disney do if there is an alligator spotted on the beach?
    Not a whole lot. I kid you not, there was a big gator in the lake in front of Splash Mountain one day. I have no idea how he got there, but he was there all day!

I would assume that they could call animal control, but as long as they are not bothering guests there is not a whole lot they can do. WDW was built on thier land, and they are going to keep coming back.

On a different note- I heard that River Country was closed because there was a near drowning because the water is too dark for the lifeguards to see into. Another thing to consider to those of you who feel the need to swim in the lake...although I can't understand why you would want to! There are so many beautiful pools at the resorts that are safe and have lifeguards to protect your children- take advantage of them! The water in the lake is for decoration only!!
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TINKERBELL_82 View Post
    Not a whole lot. I kid you not, there was a big gator in the lake in front of Splash Mountain one day. I have no idea how he got there, but he was there all day!

I would assume that they could call animal control, but as long as they are not bothering guests there is not a whole lot they can do. WDW was built on thier land, and they are going to keep coming back.

On a different note- I heard that River Country was closed because there was a near drowning because the water is too dark for the lifeguards to see into. Another thing to consider to those of you who feel the need to swim in the lake...although I can't understand why you would want to! There are so many beautiful pools at the resorts that are safe and have lifeguards to protect your children- take advantage of them! The water in the lake is for decoration only!!
    The problem many have with not being able to swim in the lagoon is that there use to be swim platforms off shore from the resort and a swimming area so originally it was not just decoration and people enjoyed the lagoon. I can see the attraction if the water were safe to be in but at this point it is just decoration.

It would be kind of like someone turning the Volcano pool into a pond for people to just look at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
    The problem many have with not being able to swim in the lagoon is that there use to be swim platforms off shore from the resort and a swimming area so originally it was not just decoration and people enjoyed the lagoon. I can see the attraction if the water were safe to be in but at this point it is just decoration.

It would be kind of like someone turning the Volcano pool into a pond for people to just look at.
    I know, and I do understand that some people have a sentimental attachment to the Lagoon, and can understand the dismay.

All I am saying is that it urks me to hear about people disobeying the rules that are set in place for a reason- not to spoil your fun but for your own safety and protection. It really urks me to hear that people are willing to risk their children's health and/or safety for something so silly. If swimming were allowed in the lake and a guest were injured or killed due to a bacterial infection, alligator, or drowning Disney could be held liable in some cases. That's why it's not allowed. They've assed the risk and decided it's not one they are willing to take.

Besides, Florida has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world! If you really feel the need to swim in a large body of water, hop in the car and drive about an hour and a half to the nearest beach.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh. I just don't want to read about anyone getting hurt due to swimming in the lagoon!
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TINKERBELL_82 View Post
    I know, and I do understand that some people have a sentimental attachment to the Lagoon, and can understand the dismay.

All I am saying is that it urks me to hear about people disobeying the rules that are set in place for a reason- not to spoil your fun but for your own safety and protection. It really urks me to hear that people are willing to risk their children's health and/or safety for something so silly. If swimming were allowed in the lake and a guest were injured or killed due to a bacterial infection, alligator, or drowning Disney could be held liable in some cases. That's why it's not allowed. They've assed the risk and decided it's not one they are willing to take.

Besides, Florida has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world! If you really feel the need to swim in a large body of water, hop in the car and drive about an hour and a half to the nearest beach.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh. I just don't want to read about anyone getting hurt due to swimming in the lagoon!
    I totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like

So knowing about the "no swimming" policy, bacteria, and alligators, here's what totally confuses me. When we were there in May, there was an "Ironman" race going on. The contestants started by swimming in the lagoon from Ft. Wilderness. (Then they biked around the property, then finished with a marathon.) If there are all those concerns, why in the world do they allow hundreds of people to use the lagoon for a race?? Makes absolutely no sense.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tygger7 View Post
    So knowing about the "no swimming" policy, bacteria, and alligators, here's what totally confuses me. When we were there in May, there was an "Ironman" race going on. The contestants started by swimming in the lagoon from Ft. Wilderness. (Then they biked around the property, then finished with a marathon.) If there are all those concerns, why in the world do they allow hundreds of people to use the lagoon for a race?? Makes absolutely no sense.
    I'm a little confused, too, after reading more. It seems to me that waterskiing and parasailing actually present bigger risks than swimming, because the real danger comes when water is forced into lungs, bringing the dangerous amoeba with it. Obviously, if they allow swimming at all, they can't control how people swim and how active they are in the water, meaning there's a risk. With the race, they can be fairly assured that people aren't engaged in horseplay, just straightforward swimming. But with other water activities that involve guests splashing down into water, I'm surprised they can allow this. Why does state law, and therefore WDW, prohibit swimming in fresh water but allow all the other water activities that actually involve more risk of sucking water into lungs? That seems weird to me.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

My view is that at some point Disney just decided it was too hard to properly staff the lagoon with lifeguards. I personally feel it's more of a liability issue and than a bacteria issue. I always see little kids splash into the water before their parents can catch them and I doubt Disney would take the chance liability-wise.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: