Quantcast Adventurer's Club Rumors?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

lockedoutlogic Guest

The Adventurer's Club lost money....

that is unacceptible at a place that was built to generate profits....

people still seem to be having a hard time with this concept

Post Thanks / Like

How much money is a greeting area making?

I have already heard of a number of families that are cutting down the frequency and/or duration of their visits, because of the closing of the AC. Some do not renew their annual passes. So by closing the AC, they not only reduced their costs and missed the revenue of the AC, but also the revenue in shops, restaurants, tickets, etc. will drop.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    How much money is a greeting area making?

I have already heard of a number of families that are cutting down the frequency and/or duration of their visits, because of the closing of the AC. Some do not renew their annual passes. So by closing the AC, they not only reduced their costs and missed the revenue of the AC, but also the revenue in shops, restaurants, tickets, etc. will drop.
    greeting areas have minimal overhead......bars do not.

and since they closed the entire gated area of PI....it's not the AC specifically that would cause a dip in annual pass revenue...

and for that matter...the cost of an annual pass, combined with an annual to PI...is still less than a premium annual pass....

so for their truly to be a drop off in annual pass sales....that would mean people were paying $500.00 a year for a pass and didn't care about the waterparks and disneyquest....which isn't how the WDW annual passholder would typically think....

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar wit the Adventurer's Club as I have only been to Pleasure Island once. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure the AC will reopen as a D23 members only exclusive club.

Just kidding.
    It's fun to be free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venus0880 View Post
    I am not familiar wit the Adventurer's Club as I have only been to Pleasure Island once. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    It's a nightclub styled after some of the old British clubs for the liesured class who enjoyed hunting and adventuring around the world. Cast members play the role of various butlers, etc. that would have been found in such clubs and interact with guests.

There's a separate 'mask room' that has all types of African-style masks haning in it that occasionally come to life. There's also a separate comedy room where interactive shows are done at certain intervals.

There's a lot of other detail, but that's the gist of it.
    Former watcher of the original b&w Mouseketeers.

Honeymooned in WDW in '76. Devoted husband and WDW fanatic (in that order :-) ) since then.

Post Thanks / Like

No warrantees implied or given on this one. Simply a copy/paste from another
    forum.

Enjoy:

Big announcement from mark kohl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My DW and I were on the Disney Magic the last 7 days and our guest speaker was
    Mark Kohl, Director of Resort Development, Walt Disney Imagineering.

Just some quick background....

The two lectures explored his career and the current projects going on throughout the world. There was nothing "NEW" in the presentations and during the Q&A he was unable to speak to the future projects at the resort. He is the big cheese of Downtown Disney and when asked about the Adventures Club he was as tight lipped as possible.

Here is a little gist of this part of the Q&A...

Women in the back: (Yelling) ADVENTURERs CLUB!!!!!! (No question, just
    statement)

MK: (Laughing, with a big grin on his face) Yes, the Adventurers Club. All I can say is there is going to be a huge announcement in 30 to 60 days. (Still Grinning)

Man in the back: What is the Adventurer's Club?

MK: My favorite club in Downtown Disney.

Women in the back: It looks like you could open the doors and walk right in, nothing has changed since it closed.

MK: Yep, All I can say is that there is going to be an announcement soon. (Still Grinning - Almost Uncontrollably)

End Scene
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!!! I like the sound of that! Fingers crossed!

Post Thanks / Like

What ever happens may the powers that be.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Patiently waiting for the "big announcement"!!

We are just past 60 days with no announcement. Grrrrr. I, however, will be going to my beloved Adventurers Club in September!! I am so excited I can hardly wait! Anyone else attending the Congaloosh 2009? I entered the essay contest and won a ticket to the event! Dinner and 2 library shows along with several other events over the course of the weekend. Woo hoo!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had not even heard of such contest...I would have totally written an essay for that!

Anyone else have any news about Adventurer's Club???
    Dolly - aka Pamelia Perkins
    36 trips and counting
    Next trip...Hopefully end of September for Food & Wine Fest
    Kungaloosh!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    The Adventurer's Club lost money....

that is unacceptible at a place that was built to generate profits....

people still seem to be having a hard time with this concept
    Huh. Did it really? I've never heard that before.

I'm amazed that a place that sold $7 beers couldn't make a profit.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Huh. Did it really? I've never heard that before.

I'm amazed that a place that sold $7 beers couldn't make a profit.
    when the announcement made...CMs from PI had said that the company line was that they had a $1 millon dollar loss on the AC alone....if i recall correctly....

Now...that's number twisting....we all know....

But this "great" place that everyone now laments could only hold about 150 people....it seldom had more than 50.....the average time someone was in there seemed to be about 15 minutes.....and no one really seemed to be drinking....

...in fact....it always appeared that half of the "patrons" at any given time were cast (not too hard to spot)....and I can assure you: they weren't buying $7 drinks.....that's like....and hour and a half's pay

Post Thanks / Like

But this "great" place that everyone now laments could only hold about 150 people....it seldom had more than 50.....the average time someone was in there seemed to be about 15 minutes.....and no one really seemed to be drinking....

...in fact....it always appeared that half of the "patrons" at any given time were cast (not too hard to spot)....and I can assure you: they weren't buying $7 drinks.....that's like....and hour and a half's pay
    It was packed when we were there last Sept., and it wasn't half cast members. We could barely find a place to sit.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    It was packed when we were there last Sept., and it wasn't half cast members. We could barely find a place to sit.
    Two questions:

1. Did you notice how much the place could hold? ballpark figure....
    2. Are you sure they weren't Cast Members? really sure?

It's not that i doubt what you are saying....but days that play out as you say were few and far between....

I have been to that club probably 30ish times total.....and i can count what I would consider to be "crowded" times on one hand.....and even then....I think there is a 200 capacity on the building anyway (posted right at the front door)

That is in no way the kind a capacity that will stick at WDW......if their rides pack 2500 in an hour.....why would they want an elaborate, staffed bar that only held a fraction of that?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It's not that i doubt what you are saying....but days that play out as you say were few and far between....
    This about it, though. Didn't AC close in September? I know they drew massive crowds in the days leading up to its closure, so I don't have any problem believing that if the poster was there in September of '08 it would have been mobbed.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    This about it, though. Didn't AC close in September? I know they drew massive crowds in the days leading up to its closure, so I don't have any problem believing that if the poster was there in September of '08 it would have been mobbed.
    Sorry, when I posted I was just coming off of a long 12-hour shift at work. We were actually there in Sept. '07. It was still busy though. At one point, we could barely walk as we were trying to get to the bar to try a famous "Kungaloosh". It was worth getting through the sea of bodies though.

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions:

1. Did you notice how much the place could hold? ballpark figure....
    2. Are you sure they weren't Cast Members? really sure?

I have been to that club probably 30ish times total.....and i can count what I would consider to be "crowded" times on one hand.....and even then....I think there is a 200 capacity on the building anyway (posted right at the front door)

..if their rides pack 2500 in an hour.....why would they want an elaborate, staffed bar that only held a fraction of that?

If I were to guess at a capacity level, it would probably be way off. My brain just doesn't work well that way. I do think they could've offered more seating. We had to sit up in a little nook on the second floor.

As far as being Cast Members, very few of them were dressed up - unless you're talking about CMs who were off duty. But, I still went with your numbers of 1/2 of the customers being CMs since I know business is not my strong point.

As far as Why they would do it - they do it for Club 33 at Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

when the announcement made...CMs from PI had said that the company line was that they had a $1 millon dollar loss on the AC alone....if i recall correctly....

Now...that's number twisting....we all know....

I'm not a business person, so explain this to me.
    If 25 people come in for 15 minutes and buy one $7 drink. That's $700 in one hour. Correct? The Adventurer's Club is open for 5 hours. That equals $3500 a night. That doesn't include the price of admission - about $22 - an extra $11,000. So, if WDW only pays CMs minimum wage, how can it not be making money?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I'm not a business person, so explain this to me.
    If 25 people come in for 15 minutes and buy one $7 drink. That's $700 in one hour. Correct? The Adventurer's Club is open for 5 hours. That equals $3500 a night. That doesn't include the price of admission - about $22 - an extra $11,000. So, if WDW only pays CMs minimum wage, how can it not be making money?

They use some "creative" accounting.....

But a 10000 dollar a night take is pitiful by any disney standard....

that literally isn't worth them operating the club.....$350,000 a year? completely devoid of profit by disney's estimation....

Remember: they spent $100 million on Expedition Everest.....reportedly clost to 300 million total on Test Track....and that was in the 90's....

The numbers that Disney cares about at WDW start with "m" and "b"......

Adventurer's Club was a niche sorta place.....but no matter how much I trust Disney's financial figures (I don't...when it comes to WDW operations....by the way)...I know that the AC wasnt' worth their time....in the grand scheme of things.

People should feel very lucky it lasted as long as it did.....

And I would guarantee that Disney could show you a ledger sheet that has a much higher operational expense at the AC than 11,000 a night.....guaranteed

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: