Quantcast The 2008 MOMS & MOMS-to-BE Club!!! - Page 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    Definitely with my first, I got nervous the closer my due date came. I was unsure I'd know how to be a mom. And there was a lot of learning to do, but it's amazing how much of it just comes to you in an innate way.
    Quote Originally Posted by May524 View Post
    And yes...I was SO NERVOUS! I was nervous the WHOLE pregnancy! I'm not saying I wasn't excited...I was...but I definetly know where you are coming from!
    Thanks for the encouragement! It is good to hear that these feelings aren't abnormal. Now that I am starting to show a little, DH is starting to get more excited and it eases the nervousness a lot.

I had my 4-month checkup this week, and I got to hear the heartbeat. I got very nervous before the appointment because I kept having this dream that something was wrong (crazy pregnancy dreams! ugh!) and the nurse couldn't find the heartbeat for a while. It was a HUGE relief to hear that! Apparently the little guy (girl?) is very active in the early morning because we had trouble getting the right pictures for my first trimester screening ultrasound. He will be very ready for my very early wake up calls when we take our Disney trips!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baby equipment

We went to Babies R Us this weekend to take a look at what was on the market for babies. I have a very big family but the youngest baby is 4 now so I wanted to see the latest stuff. If you believe the marketing people, you need at least 3 of everything in the store! My question for the veteran moms is, did you buy any equipment that turned out to not be useful? Were there any things that turned out to be surprisingly useful?
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    We went to Babies R Us this weekend to take a look at what was on the market for babies. I have a very big family but the youngest baby is 4 now so I wanted to see the latest stuff. If you believe the marketing people, you need at least 3 of everything in the store! My question for the veteran moms is, did you buy any equipment that turned out to not be useful? Were there any things that turned out to be surprisingly useful?

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 2 things that we did not make good use of at all. The first was a wipes warmer that a friend had given me. I tried to use it once, but it took forever to warm the wipes, and then they seemed to dry out really fast. I would say save your money on that one!!
    Also, the diaper genie was a complete waste, IMO. We just put the dirty diapers in a plastic grocery bag (which we have a ton of and are free) and tie it closed before throwing it in the trash.
    I'm sure there are plenty more things, but I can't think of them at the moment!

As for things that I couldn't have lived wthout. Probably, my number one thing would have to be a good baby swing. Sophie loved swinging in that thing. I could put her in there when I needed my hands free to cook or do things around the house. Also, the one we have was lightweight and easy to move into the bathroom so she could swing while I took a shower. I'm pretty sure it was by fisher price. I hope the new baby will also enjoy it!!

On a similar note, has anyone used a Moses basket? I would like to get one for this baby since the bassinet will be upstairs and I will need a place for him to nap downstairs during the day. With Sophie, I was able to use one of those co-sleeper bed things on the couch before she started to roll over, but with her running around I don't think that will work for us this time. I know the Moses baskets can be expensive, so I would appreciate any advice on them!
    Amber
    3/08 - Coronado Springs
    12/08 - Coronado Springs
    5/09 - Beach Club
    9/09 - Caribbean Beach and Yacht Club
    2/10 - Yacht Club
    5/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

When pregnant with DS, I bought:

* A really nice diaper bag. Never used it b/c the formula companies sent me free ones that were smaller and easier to tote around.

* Lap pads. I still don't know what their purpose is. I think we ended up using them for the cat's bed.

* Bottle warmer with car adapter. The thing never worked right and caused me much undue frustration.

* Changing table pad cover. Okay so the vinyl isn't wonderfully comfortable, but it's a lot easier to spray it down with Lysol than it is to bleach stains out of the cloth cover.

* Umbrella stroller. We got a cheap one (isn't that the point) and used it once b/c it was so uncomfortable to push.

Of course those are all just my personal opinions.

The things I couldn't live without were the breast pump, baby bjorn, boppy, and the thin receiving blankets for swaddling. But now they make special swaddlers, so I'll probably buy one.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had trouble finding pants! But it really makes me wonder why they don't sell more 'petite' lengths.

It is very helpful to hear what y'all have found helpful and what was a waste. I'm trying not to get too excited yet by started buying things. My goal is to wait until the 20 week ultrasound. Now I'm focusing on getting our house organized and transitioning the computer room in with the Disney room so we will have a room for the nursery.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I went to my first appointment yesterday. I got to see the little peanut on the u/s. Everything is great and I got to see a little heartbeat!!! I didn't get to hear it though, but that's okay because we didn't even get to hear the heartbeat with my first until the 20 week u/s. She had a shy heartbeat, which is funny because she has a very shy personality.

So my due date is officially 11/4, but since I'm probably going to have to have a c-section it will most likely be an October baby. (Hopefully, not a halloween baby). We just aren't halloween people.

We told my dd last night that she's going to be a big sister. She's 4 and understands what it means because my friend that watches her just had a baby. We are telling our families this week. She was excited, but didn't really have much of a reaction.

We were thinking about putting a copy of the ultrasound photo in a plastic easter egg and giving them to the grandma's. Do any of you have any creative ideas for sharing the news? Any Disney idea's?

As far as products go,
    1. Get a swing!!!
    2. Skip the high chair and just get a thing that attaches to a chair. What we did was we went and bought a cheap ikea chair and attached a booster seat thing that had a tray on it to the cheap chair. It was so much easier to clean.
    3. Pack n Play - a must have for trips to disneyland and wdw (especially if you drive).
    4. I'm going to get a carrier this time. Our 1st was very cholicy and holding her close was the only thing that seemed to help.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Melissa,
    I LOVE the easter egg filled with the U/S!!!! What a creative idea!!

Here's my skip and must have list!! This is fun!!! Especially to see what is precious to everyone

SKIP
    1.) [for us since this is #2] double stroller. It was a stroller with the first. I never used a stroller RARELY until basically I became pregnant with #2 and wasn't allowed to carry around 27 lbs all the time! lol
    2.) Swing, he hated it! Every baby is different though.
    3.) Bassinet. We used it twice and then I just ended up buying a snuggle nest and had baby sleep with us.
    4.) "fancy clothes"....give me a bunch of onsies any day!
    5.) Excessive amounts of toys. We have one small box of toys and one basket of books and that's plenty. Everyone always wants to give toys...great thought, but man do you become overwhelmed!

MUST HAVE

1.) Wraps/slings/Mei Tai's
    2.) Cloth diaper with cover stash
    3.) Seventh generation disposables for those first few weeks post C Section
    4.) breast pump/storage bags
    5.) onsies
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot one of my must haves!

A baby bouncer - When my dh went back to work, this was a must have for me. I could put my dd in the bouncer and put in right next to the shower, so I could take a super fast shower. My dh had to be at work at 5:30am, so if I didn't have the bouncer there was no way I could take a shower until he got home, which was usually after 5pm most days.
    Melissa

Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meldan98 View Post
    I forgot one of my must haves!

A baby bouncer - When my dh went back to work, this was a must have for me. I could put my dd in the bouncer and put in right next to the shower, so I could take a super fast shower. My dh had to be at work at 5:30am, so if I didn't have the bouncer there was no way I could take a shower until he got home, which was usually after 5pm most days.
    I did that too...I also used a solar veil sling so the baby could shower with me as well.

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Topic!!

WASTE

Diaper Geenie - I got a used one from a friend and hated it!
    High Chair - waste of money and space

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT

Diaper Pail (Safety 1st is the one we bought) - I love that I can use glad kitchen catchers - it is cheaper and a lot more convenient than cutting the stupid diaper geenie bags,.

The bouncy chair!!! He would fall asleep in it at night, in the afternoon, and play during the day!

The booster seat - it can be pulled off the chair and cleaned easily, it does not take up extra space in the kitchen like a high chair.

The portable/blow up booster seat by safety 1st - I can take it anywhere, it is compact, I usually keep mine in the red wagon so I can strap him in when we go to the park!

The Intellitainer/exercauser

The hospital grade breast pump - I rented one from the drug store. I could not have breast fed without it - Ben ended up on the boob until he was 14 months
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meldan98 View Post
    We told my dd last night that she's going to be a big sister. She's 4 and understands what it means because my friend that watches her just had a baby. We are telling our families this week. She was excited, but didn't really have much of a reaction.

We were thinking about putting a copy of the ultrasound photo in a plastic easter egg and giving them to the grandma's. Do any of you have any creative ideas for sharing the news? Any Disney idea's?
    Ben was born November 9th and as the end of October drew near I was SO afraid I would have him on Halloween! Thank god he held on a little longer!

We told our family over Easter dinner too! I love your egg idea!!!

When we arrived at my inlaws I handed my MIL a card I had made. The front of the card said 'Introducing our Disney Souvenir' (Ben came home with us from our Disney trip!)...there were 3 cut out Mickeys along the bottom of the page - the paper behind it was pink and it looked very Easter-like. At the side of the card there was an insert to be pulled out. When you pulled the insert out - the cut out pink Mickeys along the bottom slid out to reveal 3 ultrasound pictures of 'the bump'. (I had my US pics photocopied) so I could cut them out.

When fully pulled out the insert read Surprise!!! The back of it read Happy Easter from Jay, Lea, big brother Brandon and 'The Bump', slated to arrive November 2006.

It was so neat to see everyones reaction as they read the card and looked at the US pics and figured it out. When my mom arrived and I gave her the card she thought it meant we were taking her back to WDW in November! Duh!!!
    Lea-Ann

Post Thanks / Like

The card you gave was a great idea! And I love the egg idea! How cute is that!

We told our families on Thanksgiving by putting DS in a t-shirt that said "Big Brother 2008" in black puffy paint. My mom and DH's stepmom figured it out instantly. My dad thought we were going to be on the show "Big Brother". Duh.
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    7 trips to the World.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

So yes my baby is almost 4 weeks old but so far the things he loves are:
    His swing-he absolutely loves it and it really soothes him and calms him down.
    His boopy
    The boppy playmat gym-it's great for tummy time, we do it about 2x a day, he really likes it.
    Diaper Genie-I guess I'm not the norm, but I really like it!
    Pack n Play with the bassinet top-it's GREAT for the den and ours actually has a changing table top as wel.
    College Program Spring 05
    6/92-Tree House Villas
    5/98-Poly
    5/01-ASM
    1/05-Pop
    3/05-OKW
    5/05-SS
    5/06-ASMus
    1/07- Honeymoon at the Boardwalk!
    6/07- OKW
    11/07-Babymoon Pop/Poly
    12/08-Christmas at the Poly! DS 1st Christmas and Disney Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by May524 View Post
    So yes my baby is almost 4 weeks old but so far the things he loves are:
    His swing-he absolutely loves it and it really soothes him and calms him down.
    His boopy
    The boppy playmat gym-it's great for tummy time, we do it about 2x a day, he really likes it.
    Diaper Genie-I guess I'm not the norm, but I really like it!
    Pack n Play with the bassinet top-it's GREAT for the den and ours actually has a changing table top as wel.
    We have the pack n play as well! We used it a lot at the side of our bed until we just brought him into bed with us.
    I LOVE the changing table part as well!! Can't wait to use it again with this one!

I'm not fond of the diaper genie myself, but I know many of my friends loved it!!

I found I had to empty it everday! It just didn't seem to hold a lot. Then when I switched to cloth I just gave it away. Now I just use a little trash can with a lid for when we do use disposables!

How is everyone feeling???

I am just getting more and more exhausted! And my back aches to the point of tears sometimes!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have to out DH to work today.....

Earlier this week Ben was trying to climb out of his crib, we had one more notch to lower the mattress about another 3 inches, so Jay lowered it.

This morning I go into Bens room shortly after hearing him stir. He has climbed up onto the top rail, straddling it, but hugging it for dear life with his arms and legs. It was as if he pulled himself up and freaked out a little bit, as if to say now what?

So, for his safety it looks like his crib will be converting into the toddler bed earlier than I had hoped! My is all grown up!!!!
    Lea-Ann

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh....Ben's going into the big boy bed! Gosh, it's amazing how fast time flies!

Post Thanks / Like

Ben is a little daredevil!

How was everyone's Easter?

I'm feeling okay. My back hurts almost constantly as does my belly. I don't remember being this uncomfortable with DS. In fact, I went to DLR I was feeling so good. Oh well. Such is life.
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    7 trips to the World.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

And did I mention that I'm really sick of being kicked and punched in the bladder?
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    7 trips to the World.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
    And did I mention that I'm really sick of being kicked and punched in the bladder?
    I can tell I'm carrying this little guy low and the only place I get kicked is in the bladder too!!!!!!!!!

It wakes me up sometimes!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope everyone had a great Easter.

We used the plastic eggs to tell our family and it was a hit. I took video of telling everyone and it was so much fun.

I'm exhausted!! Yesterday morning my parents came over for breakfast and an Easter Egg hunt, then we went to my Grandparent's house and they live on one end of town, for a couple of hours. We only got to tell my Grandparents and my Aunt. My cousins were over two hours late when finally left. Then we had to drive all the way to the other side of town to see my in-laws and have Easter Dinner at 2:00pm. UGH!!!

My dd was almost 2 1/2 before we moved her out of her crib. She never tried to climb out, but we started potty training and she kept getting tangled in the bars. She move constantly and would wake up in the middle of the night because she would get stuck. We move her to a twin bed when we move next week (HOPEFULLY)!!!
    Melissa

Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: