Quantcast Am I the only one?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I the only one?

I occasionally see posts where people are exceedingly unhappy that this or that attraction is down, so much so that they think their entire vacation is ruined. Well, this never made much sense to me and I was wondering if I was the only one who wouldn't cancel my vacation even if every D and E ticket ride was down. Heck, I'd go just to walk the streets and listen to the music and chat with the CM's and eat lots and lots from the Main Street bakery....
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time we visited WDW, there were a couple of sites that were being renovated ... so what? oh well, another reason to come back sooner!

I think that folks who react that strongly are merely showing the temperment of the times ... instant satisfaction, instant gratification, instant irritation, instant hatred, instant joy, instant depression.

Pity they didn't learn some patience along the way. And tolerance.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btharvey View Post
    I think that folks who react that strongly are merely showing the temperment of the times ... instant satisfaction, instant gratification, instant irritation, instant hatred, instant joy, instant depression.
    It's sad to say but I am one of these people. In general I am not a very nice person. That is EXCEPT when it comes to vacation, especially WDW vacations.

I NEVER plan an agenda. Except for holidays, I never even make dinner reservations.We have a rough idea of the order that we usually do things but we pretty much roll with the punches. If something is closed no problem. We'll be back soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I LOVE to just wander and take my time and enjoy all of the atmosphere. You are right. If no rides were open, I'd still go just to walk through my favorite place in the world!
    Rachel
    1988,97,98*,99, 2000,01*,02*,04*,05*,07,08*,09,11,12*,13*'14*,15&, 16*,17(*=2x that year &=3x) on site WDW
    Next trip to WDW: Planning October 2017 and beyond! I love my AP!
    1991 DL 1993 DL Paris
    "If we can dream it, we can do it"
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know if I would go to Disney World if every major attraction was down--I still like to get the most out of those expensive tickets!

I don't mind if a couple of the attractions are down, but I have had the advantage of going there many times and know that I will again in the future. For some families out there, a trip to Disney World may be a once (or twice) in a lifetime deal, and for them I could understand how one of the most popular rides being close would be a major disappointment.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post

I don't mind if a couple of the attractions are down, but I have had the advantage of going there many times and know that I will again in the future. For some families out there, a trip to Disney World may be a once (or twice) in a lifetime deal, and for them I could understand how one of the most popular rides being close would be a major disappointment.

I would tend to agree...if it is a once in a lifetime trip and several of the attractions you really really want to see are closed, it would be a huge letdown and I could understand the need to vent.
    However if you are someone like us that has been there many times and this trip one of your favorites is down, take it in stride, have an extra Mickey bar and chill out.
    It still beats the heck out of being in the "real" world...
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

During August, September, and October Disney did close down several attractions/rides to refurbish them. Though, the majority of them are still working well--though EE does have it's moments but it's working as of today. Right now it's in A mode--not sure how long that will last though.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

mttafire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    I occasionally see posts where people are exceedingly unhappy that this or that attraction is down, so much so that they think their entire vacation is ruined. Well, this never made much sense to me and I was wondering if I was the only one who wouldn't cancel my vacation even if every D and E ticket ride was down. Heck, I'd go just to walk the streets and listen to the music and chat with the CM's and eat lots and lots from the Main Street bakery....
    I agree with you 100%
    Sadly, Some folks are born to WHINE.
    We ALL know some of them. They are NEVER satisfied and are a victim of something..
    Ok, Done venting.
    I too just simply love to be there!!! No matter what.
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

No, it doesn't bother me! We'll even happily skip a ride if the line is too long, we're too tired, etc. However, I do agree that it has something to do with the knowledge that we will be back again. Whatever we miss, we hit the next time!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't get that upset if some of the bigger attractions are down. For my husbands first visit, Pirates was getting updated and he didn't get to see the one attraction that he waited years to see. After he realized how wonderful the other attractions were, he didn't mind so much and he did end up getting to see Pirates the next year. It happens and it's just something you have to deal with.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I would never cancel a trip due to a ride being closed, even if it was a never-miss favorite.

I may be slightly disappointed, but, as others have pointed out, we are spoiled for choice as WDW. Some of the nicest times have been reserved for people-watching, window shopping and finding quiet corners and out-of-the-way places in each park. There is always a parade, building detail or a new ride to enjoy. Oh, heck, go and grab some ice cream and watch the World go by!
    1978 - CR
    1982 - Golf Resort
    1985 - CR
    1990 - CR
    1994 - CR
    2000 - CR
    2004 - CR
    2006 - Grand Floridian
    2008 - CR
    2009 - Grand Floridian. We feel very fortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I would never cancel my trips to any Disney park but I do have to say that there are certain rides I can't do without...thankfully I never had to skip my favorite rides because they were operating
    DLP:
    Dec. 1992 - May 1994 - Dec. 1997
    October 1999 - October 2003 - June 2004
    July 2006 - October 2006 - October 2007
    Going November 2008

WDW:
    Dec. 2003- Dec. 2005- November/Dec. 2006
    Dec./January 2007
    Going June 2008

DLR:
    Dec. 2006 - Dec. 2007
    Going July 2008

Post Thanks / Like

If every major attraction was down?? If that were to happen I think Disney would have to be in real financial trouble and it would mean everybody had stopped going so its not a scenario I can imagine.

I understand why people who don't go frequently may be disappointed but the chances are Disney will be rehabing something all the time so its something one has to expect. There were two major ones down when we were there in Octover (BTMRR and SSE) and the trip was just fine. I'd never cancel a trip because of a rehab or two.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even have to BE there to be giddy - I am giddy the moment I leave the house to go on the trip!! I could probably stay in MCO and be just fine!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm not going to go as far as saying that I'd go if every major attraction was down, but yeah ... I don't get that worked up about rides being down for rehab.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... that's because I go 3, 4, or even 5 times a year. Plus, I've been on these attractions 1,000 times each and missing one on a given trip actually helps to a degree because it gives back a bit of the "WOW" factor for me.

That being said, I think it's a bit harsh to call people "whiners" because they might get upset that a favorite ride is down during their vacation. I think some of us forget that a Disney trip only happens very infrequently for a large portion of the population. And for those people, yeah ... I can understand being very upset if Haunted Mansion or Pirates or whatever your favorite is is going to be down.

I also think that some of the folks here who are so quick to judge others as "whiners" might want to stop and consider that they themselves might actually be the whiners.

I get pretty sick of folks who can't accept negative comments of any sort about Disney.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I get pretty sick of folks who can't accept negative comments of any sort about Disney.
    I don't think any of those hang around the Dining forum -- seems like a lot of us have been a bit ticked off at Disney over the course of the past year.

Of course, my comment about all of the D & E ticket rides being down was tongue in cheek, and I doubt if my children would happily walk around without some complaining, but I was just trying to make a point that, well.... WOW, WDW isn't like any other amusement park. I wouldn't even bother going to a six flags if the attractions were down. There is just absolutely so much to see and do that even if it is a once in a life time trip it is still an awesome place to be -- and for the record, I've never read a post from a "once in a lifetime" person complaining, it't usually from someone who goes a whole lot more often than I do.

So, I just don't understand the level of disappointment, that's all. But then, when Andy was born with all his challenges I had a crash course in what is devastatingly important and what is just mildly annoying. Ten years ago, all sorts of things made me angry, now it all seems so ridiculous -- what was I thinking!?
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not care if the attraction is closed. There is enough to see and do. That makes me want to come back sooner. However I feel sorry for my dd. She has never been on Splash Mountain and yet again it looks like she will miss it again in Jan. Everytime we go it is closed for one reason or another. I keep telling her "I guess we will have to come back" and she gets a really big smile.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Atmosphere is great for me, I would never cancel my trip!!

24 more days!
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I would never cancel a trip because a certain attraction was down. I'd gripe about it for a few minutes sure, but in the end it is nothing that would mean an unhappy ending to a vacation nor would be an occassion to cancel a trip.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoriMistress View Post
    During August, September, and October Disney did close down several attractions/rides to refurbish them. Though, the majority of them are still working well--though EE does have it's moments but it's working as of today. Right now it's in A mode--not sure how long that will last though.
    How can anyone be sad at WDW? What a blessing to be there! I did miss Rockin Roller Coaster in September though!
    mikelynn91

"Don't cry because it's over ~ smile because it happened!" Dr. Seuss

Fort Wilderness 2003
    All Stars Movies 2005
    All Stars Music 2006

Pop Century 2007

Port Orleans Riverside 2008
    All Star Movies 2009

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: