I agree with Jan up above.

Arguments about EMHs, transportation ease, and general atmosphere may be lost on him. If he's someone who always has to forge his own path, that is your cross to bear. Having been to Europe a few times, I understand not wanting to stay at 'touristy' places and to chart my own course, often finding better food and lodging than if you took the guided tour.

Disney is not like that. I love staying on-property. It is a great value for your money.

What is unclear is why he so dislikes the idea of being with the family. Are they not good enough for him? Does he not like them?

The whole point of this family gathering is not that it is at Disney, but that the entire family is going on an adventure ALL TOGETHER. I think you and the kids should stay with the rest of the family and he can stay wherever he wants. You may even let him know where you're meeting for meals...if he's lucky. If he is so adament in being apart from the rest of the family, perhaps you should give him his wish. It would also make for a better trip for you.

Clearly this is putting a lot of pressure on you from the rest of the family. What is unclear is why your husband (supposedly the person who loves and cherishes you the most) would be so hard-headed where his wife is concerned.

I may be reaching, but it seems as if this 'wiser than the rest' attitude may be pervasive and you have to deal with this in many aspects of your life together. These are always the people who are so surprised when the wife files for divorce two seconds after the last kid leaves for college.

Good luck with whats-his-name.