Quantcast Need Help Convincing Cousin's Husband to Stay On Property

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Convincing Cousin's Husband to Stay On Property

We are planning a trip to Walt Disney World for November of 2011. As of right now there are 16 family members planning on going and staying on site. My cousin and her family would like to join us as well. There are 6 in their party, she, her husband and their 4 children. She has looked into staying in either 2 rooms at a value or the family suite at the ASMu. The problem is her husband adamantly refuses to stay on property. He says it a lot more money than staying off site. But without the cost of a rental car (to fit 6 people in), carseat rental , and parking it ends up being just about the same price. He is concerned about not having their "own transportation". She really wants to stay on site with the rest of the family. He has never stayed on site so he has no experience with the "magic" of being on property.

If you were trying to convince someone to stay on property what would you tell them?

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you have your arguments down pat. If he doesn't listen to those, there's probably nothing you can do to convince him. His wife might still have some sway, if she lets him know how important it is to her that they stay on-site with the rest of the family.

I have to say that it's hard for me to relate to this type of situation. With all of our trips, my husband pretty much defers to me in the planning process, as he trusts that I do my research and will get the best bang for our buck. Plus he knows how much I enjoy vacation planning.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I have to say that it's hard for me to relate to this type of situation. With all of our trips, my husband pretty much defers to me in the planning process, as he trusts that I do my research and will get the best bang for our buck. Plus he knows how much I enjoy vacation planning.

My husband trusts me to make the best decisions for our family and never challenges me on my vacation decisions. Even when I ask him he tells me to do whatever want.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of advantages by staying one property. You get the extra magic hours and the Disney transportation throughout the day. You also get free parking when staying on property. Staying on property is an advantage to everyone who stays there. Hope this helps and hope you have a magical time at Disney World
    ~Amanda<3~

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse." ~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

The only other things you could bring up is the EMHs and being closer to the family and the activities you are planning. You can also add the hassle of getting in and out of the parks especially the MK is you are driving and then having to drive back to an off-site room. If the money comes out about the same without a rental car then it seems to be more than a financial decision.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say this but present her with the pros but it's up to the two of them as to where to stay. You could end up being the bad guy if they stay on property and he doesn't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going at end of Sept and staying at value. At $62.44 per night (that is with discount pin) I don't know how much cheaper he could get. Not when you add on ME, EMH's, Resort to park transportation, and not having to pay for parking if you do drive to parks. ($14 day)
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for saving money, and have stayed off site a fair number of times. That said, I MUCH prefer to stay on site.

Imo, the confines of the Disney bubble are transporting. There's magic and excitement everywhere you turn: a futuristic monorail, dramatic magic castle, thatched african porte cochere, polynesian tiki torches with tom toms beating in the background, etc.-- And the service and smiles are world class; everyone you encounter is happy.

Then you depart the grounds, merge onto a congested highway, horns honk, litter tumbles by--and it's over.

Nope, if you can, stay on the premises and leave the real world behind. It's good for the soul.
    "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. In just five minutes...."

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading in the unofficial guide to disney world that all of the perks of staying onsite are available at all resorts, even at Pop. So even if he can find rates less than the Values the parking, car rental, and car seats will add up!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    The only other things you could bring up is the EMHs and being closer to the family and the activities you are planning. You can also add the hassle of getting in and out of the parks especially the MK is you are driving and then having to drive back to an off-site room. If the money comes out about the same without a rental car then it seems to be more than a financial decision.
    Not just the hassle, figure in the time too.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Leona View Post
    ... it's up to the two of them as to where to stay. You could end up being the bad guy if they stay on property and he doesn't like it.
    I have to agree with this, too. You don't want to be the person blamed if they don't have the time they want!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Tell them what you expect to spend...perhaps the problem is that they will really have to scrimp to afford the trip or just flat cannot afford the trip...Even off site, they will probably have to get two rooms....and there is still the cost of transportation, parking, and meals...

Suggest that they consider the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness....Their party of six can fit, they can save money by preparing some of their own meals, and they can even host all of you for a family cook out...
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

One of the perks I enjoy about staying on site is the delivery of my shopping to my resort. I love not having to carry any shopping around.
    My step daughters are going in August and there was no way that we could convince them to stay on site either. Until they have experienced staying on site, they don't know what they are missing.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

This is the argument I have used in the past: If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again.

I used that with DH the first time we stayed on property. He has never wanted to stay off property since and that was over 20 years and several trips ago. And he's so not a Disney fan. He goes because his family is going.

Sometimes a kid saying, Daaad, please can we stay with the other kids? Or maybe all 4 kids can say this.

Another thing that can be done, once the money arguments have been presented, is to put it in his court. He can be told this is what the rest of the family is doing. What is he going to do. And leave it up to him.

He has two choices here: he can disappoint his wife and look like a jerk to her extended family, or he can cave.

If he is a jerk, everyone may have to just live with their being off site and meet up with her as much as you can, during the day. If he's that much of a jerk, you may be better off having less time with him.

If he caves, hopefully he'll do with grace. Our son-in-law generally was a pill because he thought too much money was being spent. She did get him to lighten up occasionally by saying it's not about him but the memories they're making with their daughter. That might help you.

Actually, there might be another argument - transportation. Obviously, with 4 kids, there is a good chance someone will get icky feeling some time during your trip. On property, with Disney transportation available, one parent can take the ill child back to the room - even by Disney van I think? - while the rest of the family can remain wherever they are, and continue having fun with the family. If they are all in one car, staying off property, and one child needs some time away from the parks, the whole family has to leave.

This might allow him to save face and agree that staying on property might logistically be the wiser choice.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

remind him of travel time, of what leaving a park late at night in the parking lot could look like including a line of cars exiting and tired people and finding your car at the end of the day. .. . also that its hot so everytime you get in your car its not air conditioned like the disney transportation is. Package delivery service. We use this SOOOO much. it is SO nice to buy stuff AS you see it and not look for it at the end of the trip and send it to your room via cast members. I wouldnt stay off site just for that reason alone. EMH is a great reason, especially the morning EMH bc it gets ONLY EMH people into that park. Outside of the disney magic, there are so many reasons to go with disney from not having to pay to park to their pools and grounds are amazing no matter which resort you choose.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

We started staying onsite in 1997 and never ever had to had the discussion again. It's great to get of the plane and get right onto the Magical express. No headache about the traffic or getting stress out..

If we want to go to Downtown Disney we hop on the bus. We have our packages delivered to our rooms and don't have to worry about leaving them on a ride.

In 2002 we stayed because of a family reunion and there was 21 of us. It was so nice.

I hope he changes his mind.
    Roxanne, Remington and Zachary
    First Disney visit 1974
    1979, 1983, 1990 and 1991, 1997 CBR, 2002 All Star Movies, 2005 All Star Music, 2006 Pop Century,Disneyland, Pardaise Pier, 2010, Next Visit May 2011, Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

all the above meet my criteria. My wife lets me plan the trip, I always get and use her input tho. A big plus, and I mean big plus for me is that I feel very, very safe in the WDW resort area. I don't get that feeling until I arrive there, and don't loose it until I leave. In a 6 night /7 day stay we never once leave the property. Having been there off site and in travels around the area, I definitely like staying on site at any resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my 2 cents:

I like to have an occasional beer or coctail while in the parks. You can get a drink just about anywhere except the MK. Stay on property you don't have to worry about driving back to the hotel. Obviously you don't want to overdo it on a nice family getaway, but it is nice to have a beer or two and then take Disney transportation back to the hotel. Then again if he's a miser he might not want to pay the WDW drink prices.

Being able to go back to the hotel easliy during the day with all or part of your party is a real plus. You can go back to the room and hit the pool or take a nap.

Park hopping is a lot harder when you stay off property since you all have to get back to the car.

Beware: having a rental car gives you some flexibility and control. There may be an issue there beyond the expense that needs to be addressed.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

1. Free Transportation
    2. Free Package Delivery from parks to resorts
    3. Extra Morning and Evening Hours
    4. Availability of Dining Plan
    5. Restaurants and Gift shop in hotel
    6. Emersion into Disney atmosphere 24/7

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest to your cousin that she do a cost analysis for staying on-site and off-site and then leave it up to your cousin and her husband to decide.

Remind her that Orlando is a major metropolitan area and that means dealing with traffic.

But, like someone early on said, stay out of it. Otherwise you become the bad guy.

Honestly, I AM Disney - heart and soul - and though it isn't what I would prefer to do - staying off-site when we went with my DH's family a few years ago really wasn't that bad. My preference - no, but I would do it again.
    Have a Magical Day!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: