Quantcast Am I the only one? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of the people who don't get to go several times a year or every year. We went in Sept\Oct 2006, and will probably not get back until Oct 2008.

Having said that, when we went we had a great time. My wife was 7 and 1\2 pregnant and we didn't ride a lot of rides because she couldn't. We planned ahead to know what she could and couldn't ride, and what the kids could ride. We missed a lot of the E rides, but we had fun on what we did see. We were just happy to be on vacation and soak in the atmosphere.

So, missing out on rides really wasn't that big of a deal to us, because we knew we were going to miss out on them. I would have loved to ride SM, but my wife couldn't so none of us rode it.

Sometimes you just have to take what is given you and make the best of it. With our work & school schedules DW and I barely get to see each other. We were lucky to be able to have kids, due to complications. So, we were glad just to be there and to be together.

Michael

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

First off, I'm totally confused about A, D, and E rides? I guess I'm a newb.

Secondly, I understand why someone could be upset a ride or rides is closed during their trip down there. Should it ruin it? No. But they have a right to be a little upset, especially if it was unforseen (i.e. was supposed to be open when they planned the trip). Everyone has a right to complain a little...isn't that what we're all doing now? Yes Disney is magical but not a perfect place, but people also can save a lot of money to come and can only go a few times in their life, but even if someone goes every 3 years, 6 years in between an attraction can seem like a long time.
    Are there more important things in the world to be upset about? Of course! (Jasper I know you didn't ask for but my heart goes out to you). But there are even bigger things than Disneyworld (Please don't kick me off the boards for this!) The truth is there's always something bigger out there, but does that mean when the smaller things happen do we don't get to be upset? When people try to comfort me by telling how it could be worse, it often makes me more upset because I feel stupid and shallow for not being able to gain perspective. It is often hard to do in the moment. As long as you eventually do, what's wrong with that?

I don't see what's wrong with being a shoulder to cry on or vent to, when someone is upset, even if it's over something trivial. We've all done it.

That being said, would I cancel my trip over a few rides being closed? No! I'm still going down in Jan, when all those things are being refurbed. Now, would I change the dates to when more should be open? If I could, I might.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samtastic View Post
    First off, I'm totally confused about A, D, and E rides? I guess I'm a newb.
    The reference goes back to the 1970's when Disney World sold graded tickets for attractions. "A" tickets were for the tamest rides and so on up to "D" and "E" tickets, which were for the more elaborate and popular rides. A lot of people still refer to the major attractions as "E ticket rides".

I still have a couple of old E tickets left over from a trip when I was a kid.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I missed Haunted Mansion last July but it makes me want to go back that much sooner So to answer your question, I'd still go!!!
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

just gives you an excuse to go back
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Like some others have said, I think it's way too harsh to be crticizing anyone because they're upset that they're favorite rides are down. I think most people here realize that Disney hasn't done anything malicious to them and that the rehabs must be done, but that doesn't always make it better. People travel long ways and spend lots of money for their favorite rides, and to tell them to 'get over it' isn't exactly kind. One thing WDW certainly needs to do better is to announce the rehabs a bit further in advance. One or two months prior just doesn't give people time to prepare.

I never would have thought that the closure of a couple of rides would have affected us as much as it did. But I would say that our absolute favorite top three rides are SE, ToT, and RnRC. Of course SE was down in September, and we were forced to dream of riding it every time we walked in or out of the park. That was more than a little depressing. Then with RnRC closed (quite unexpectantly, I might add), that not only was another ride off the list, but crowds were increased at the ToT giving us fewer rides there as well. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I think I would have cancelled the trip and rescheduled for a time in early 2008 when our favorites would actually be open again.

So rehabs can really change a family's vacation, and not always for the better. And saying that it's something to look forward to next time is difficult to say when you can't go every year like a lot of people can.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Holland (as if you hadn't noticed from my name ) and for me travelling to WDW takes a lot of time and money. There are only very expensive flights that go straight to Orlando but I can't afford those so I always have to transfer at another city. The longest that took was about 22 hours, flying from Amsterdam to Detroit and then to Orlando.

This means that there are a few things that should be operational, but it doesn't have to be all of them..if only a couple or even one of my favorite rides is operating I will go to WDW. If Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, Peter Pan's Flight, Muppetvision 3d and the Great Movie Ride AND It's a Small World are all being refurbished (seems almost impossible right?), I won't go..but as long as one of them is operating, I will be there
    DLP:
    Dec. 1992 - May 1994 - Dec. 1997
    October 1999 - October 2003 - June 2004
    July 2006 - October 2006 - October 2007
    Going November 2008

WDW:
    Dec. 2003- Dec. 2005- November/Dec. 2006
    Dec./January 2007
    Going June 2008

DLR:
    Dec. 2006 - Dec. 2007
    Going July 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't mind if a couple of the attractions are down, but I have had the advantage of going there many times and know that I will again in the future. For some families out there, a trip to Disney World may be a once (or twice) in a lifetime deal, and for them I could understand how one of the most popular rides being close would be a major disappointment.

Just what I was going to say

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    I occasionally see posts where people are exceedingly unhappy that this or that attraction is down, so much so that they think their entire vacation is ruined. Well, this never made much sense to me and I was wondering if I was the only one who wouldn't cancel my vacation even if every D and E ticket ride was down. Heck, I'd go just to walk the streets and listen to the music and chat with the CM's and eat lots and lots from the Main Street bakery....
    In looking back at the OP, I do agree that there would be a lot to do still; however, I do think my vacation would be a disappointment if ALL the D & E tickets were down. Imagine seeing ALL of the following rides closed on your vacation:
    Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, It's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain,
    Jungle Cruise, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mickey's Philharmagic, Test Track, Mission: Space, Soarin'.
    I think MOST people would be disappointed at the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Attractions

Walt Disney World is a 365 day attraction so I expect periodic refurbs and attraction breakdowns - but I expect most of what I'm paying for to be provided.

When I walk down Main Street USA I feel like a child but many posters on this topic seem to feel like Uncle Walt has given them a happy place to run and play and they should be thankful for what they've been given. I certainly think this is the way our KIDS should feel about a Disney vacation but unlike those of you who have eyes full of pixie dust, I remember I'm a customer of a publicly traded company and I can't even walk in room at a Disney Resort unless I pay in full in advance.

So many people seem to be anxious to answer every "Thank you for your patience." with "okiedokie" because, "I'm thankful to be able to visit the happiest place on earth." Try saying "Thank you for your patience." When a CM asks you for your credit card.

If you paid for HDDR and the performance was cancelled would you expect a refund or would you consider your payment a donation to help Mickey buy Minnie a new hat?

I've never been to WDW when at least one favorite attraction of mine wasn't available and it never "ruined" my vacation but I would not pay the thousands of dollars a WDW vacation costs to walk down Main Street.

Post Thanks / Like

Even Disneyworld isn't exempt from the First Noble Truth.

"Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
    "Go out there and kick some alien butt!"
    "That looks like water, but really it isn't."

DVC Member at Boardwalk
    84, 90, 92, 96, 94, 97 - off site
    98 DL Paris
    Many since then at BWV, OKW, and WLV.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Mary M View Post
    Even Disneyworld isn't exempt from the First Noble Truth.

OK, I'll play. What's the First Noble Truth?

"People with credit cards buy more stuff than people who pay cash."

?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    OK, I'll play. What's the First Noble Truth?

"People with credit cards buy more stuff than people who pay cash."

?

I think it is either:
    (1) Man is destined to suffer
    or
    (2) A rolling stone gets the worm.

It's one of the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Noble Truth

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Always let your concious be your guide.

All FastPasses for this attraction have been distributed.

If you wear a Dalmation coat in the rain you're going to smell like a dog.

Today's Disney Channel star is tomorrow's rehab repeater.

Post Thanks / Like

All sales are FINAL
    DLP:
    Dec. 1992 - May 1994 - Dec. 1997
    October 1999 - October 2003 - June 2004
    July 2006 - October 2006 - October 2007
    Going November 2008

WDW:
    Dec. 2003- Dec. 2005- November/Dec. 2006
    Dec./January 2007
    Going June 2008

DLR:
    Dec. 2006 - Dec. 2007
    Going July 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Always let your concious be your guide.

All FastPasses for this attraction have been distributed.

If you wear a Dalmation coat in the rain you're going to smell like a dog.

Today's Disney Channel star is tomorrow's rehab repeater.
    Your reply drew an actual out loud laugh. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    Imagine seeing ALL of the following rides closed on your vacation:
    Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, It's Tough to be a Bug, Expedition Everest, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Star Tours, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain,
    Jungle Cruise, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mickey's Philharmagic, Test Track, Mission: Space, Soarin'.
    I think MOST people would be disappointed at the least.
    This may me laugh almost as much as "Spoon full of Sugar"
    I would guess if ALL these rides were closed, then it might be less than fullfilling. But my assumption is that Disney would do something to compensate- ie. Tons of extra characters roaming the streets, triple parades, 24 hours of fireworks, or Seven Dwarves tag team wrestling. I doubt they would feel right letting people walk around aimlessly looking at all the closed rides.
    i guess its possible, if all the operators went on strike, or their was an electrical outage, it could happen.
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Most rational people would understand that, just like our house cannot take a constant flow of guests but must shut down occasionally for cleaning, etc. so must a Disney ride!
    I am going in Dec and will miss one of my faves, SSE, but I know that I will catch it next trip and enjoy the renovations!

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I went..several rides were being renovated and some even were shutdown..for reasons I know not but I just told myself.."This just means I will have to come back sooner." I will admit I was disappointed but I would still go to WDW. Just being there is
    Aubree

Disney Trips:

01/10 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    02/05 - Port Orleans - Riverside
    03/01- Polynesian
    11/97 - Polynesian
    11/91 - Off-site

Post Thanks / Like

While I am very disappointed that 2 of my favorite attractions will be down in January (SSE and American Adventure), I would never postpone my trip or otherwise let this ruin it. There's so much else to see and do in WDW. Closures or not, I'm still excited to go!

Soarin' to tower: We are ready for takeoff!

1986 - Royal Plaza
    1987 - Disney Inn (Now SOG)
    1990 - CR
    1993 - POFQ
    1994, 1997 - Travelodge (now Best Western LBV)
    2001, 2002 - WL
    2004 - GF
    2007 - POR
    2008 - CSR
    2009 - Pop/Poly
    2010 - VWL
    2011 - Cruise on the Dream

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: