Quantcast Need advice on driving to Disney - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about flying out of DC if the airfare is decently priced? My sister n law got round trip tickets for the month of June for a party of 2 for around 280.00 total. I know you'd still have to drive but by the time you factor your gas and hotel stays going all the way down driving 9 hours to dc may be a better option.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been driving to disney for past 18 years. We avoid I-95 until South Carolina. We live in CT. We take 84-w to 81s to 77 to 26 then switch over to 95. We usually stop in Moorseville North Carolina- but have driven straight thru too. We take this route because it avoids all traffic and tolls. it is more miles but no traffic and NO tolls - makes the trip actually quicker. To keep the kids busy we always pack backpacks with things they have NEVER seen. we buy used gameboy games, movies, and yes and know books.. actual books snacks coloring books (now too old for them
    this trick keeps them quiet for hours! We once made the trip straigh thru in 18 hours! let me know if you want more info
    Disneyjo
    I have been so many times I have lost count!!

it all started with a mouse........

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree that Cracker Barrels are the best place to stop. Great food, quick service, clean bathrooms and lots of snacks. Plus they are at almost every exit it seems. We once drove down overnight fron New York, my husband and I took turns (one drove/one slept) - we left at 7:00 pm and only stopped for gas/bathroom breaks and pulled into Port Orleans Resort at 10:30 the next morning. It was a nice ride, there is hardly anyone on the roads at night and you can just cruise. But keep your eyes peeled for wildlife (deer, etc.) Saw a few on the sides of the road. I would suggest having an AAA membership, just in case. Those roads down south are dark and deserted at night, heaven forbid you have a breakdown.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjo-91 View Post
    To keep the kids busy we always pack backpacks with things they have NEVER seen. we buy used gameboy games, movies, and yes and know books.. actual books snacks coloring books (now too old for them
    this trick keeps them quiet for hours!
    We also do this... We try to bring movies they haven't seen or get a few from Netflix and mail them back from our resort... We also buy them a new game to play....It helps sooooo much...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicjasb View Post
    That sounds like fun! I can't wait for our trip. I am now planning things like what food and drink will be easy and good for the car, if we should get a cooler that attaches to the car, what types of games, etc. Thanks for all the advice. We will have to take a picture also!
    My DH & I purchased a cooler with a car charger. We don't have to worry about stopping for Ice and it keeps our drinks nice. We initially purchased it when our DS was a baby to keep his formula cold. They are very handy to have.
    Tonya
    1988 Off Property
    Fall 1993 College Program
    1998 Off Property
    1999 Off Property
    July 2007 Wilderness Lodge
    Aug 2013 Off Property
    Sept 2016 AK Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

We too are planning a trip in Oct- it will be DH, DS7, my dmom67 and myself. We are hoping to drive straight thru- leaving on Thursday around noon and seeing how bad of a toll it takes on our bodies- or we will stop for the night and get into Orlando by Friday night. I had gotten an idea from someone to wrap a gift for evey state you go thru- I am going to purchase cheap ds games and psp games and hopefully a new movie or two for my ds to open. We too have a cooler with a car charger for our drinks and snacks. I hope everyone has a safe and magical trip. Thanks for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the ideas. We can't wait to get in the car. We are thinking of leaving about 4 pm and driving straight through. A cooler with a charger sounds great. How much extra is it too avoid 95? Where would it meet back up?

Post Thanks / Like

We've driven from Pittsburgh numerous times and have tried alternate routes, but we prefer to take 95. Traveling in the middle of the night you will certainly be able to find fuel, oil or rest stops when needed on 95. We ran into problems with that on other routes. A good place to stop is SOUTH OF THE BORDER in South Carolina, believe me you can't miss it !!!!
    '72 Kissimee
    July '94 AS Sports
    Aug '05 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Aug '06 AS Sports ( FREE DINING)
    Sept '08 POP ( FREE DINING)
    Oct '09 POP ( FREE DINING)

Post Thanks / Like

If you can do Science Enrichment, you can drive to Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    And if you are not, consider joining. We joined in advance of one long trip with the kids....You only need them once to make it worth every penny you pay....you will save dollars for every penny of dues. We have remained members ever since...and we are still ahead.
    I keep seeing this advice about AAA. What advantages might there be to joining before driving to Disney?
    1979 First time!
    Then 1988,1989,1991...
    2004 (1st time with kids!)
    2007 (1st time onsite - Pop Century!)
    2008 Disneyland (We loved it too!)
    2010 Sheraton Vistana Villages
    2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek (Epcot View!)
    Next up: May 2013 Gram, Mom and Daughter Trip!!!

Post Thanks / Like

WE usually travel 14 hrs by car, so depending on the ages of your kids, I suggest lots of electronics and travel games. Dvd players, laptops (for games/videos), Ipods, Iphones, cell phones, and don't forget the WDW books. (if your kids are big readers like mine). There are numerous WDW books out there, that will give them an opportunity to brush up on their WDW game plan, and learn alot about the behind-the-scenes things they might not have known. And you can find a large assortment of travel games at most discount stores. (and DON'T forget the car chargers for the electronics)
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

don't worry about the naysayers...the long drive down in the car will be a great time of bonding for you and your family...and given that a good portion of the drive will be overnight...the kids will sleep through enough of it to keep them relatively happy (i.e. they will wake up that next morning someplace totally new) and being asleep will keep the bathroom stops to a minimum (that is a key to making the most of the overnight hours).

As a hardcore vacation driver (I actually prefer the long overnight drive over flying- I find it relaxing and good way to immediately unwind and completely detach from my work) who has done straight through drives from Knoxville, Tn to places as far away as Burley, Idaho, Santa Fe, NM and Grand Junction Colorado--I offer the following overnight tips.

1. If the driver gets sleepy, don't try to gut it out...that is dangerous...simply pull into a rest area and take a thirty minute power nap...it will do wonders for you and kind of reset your biological clock. For me the worst time to get drowsy is just before daylight (say from 3:30 AM to 5:30) AM.

2. If you and your spouse are both going to be driving...let the one who is the least tolerant of sleep deprivation drive the earlier shift, let the trooper drive the hardest hours, and then let the other driver take back over right after breakfast.

3. While coffee and highly caffeinated energy drinks will do the trick for a while...they can wear off suddenly and with an energy crash...so kind of be careful in how you dose yourself and keep a pretty steady inflow into your system. I find the little five hour energy shots (which are essentially a big dose of B vitamins I think) to be a more effective tool. One at about 11pm and another about 3 in the morning will keep my humming until those pre-dawn hours where I simply have to take a short nap or turn the wheel over to someone else.

4. Let the kids pull "driver guard duty" in shifts to keep your mind occupied...play disney alphabet games with them...tell your favorite childhood stories from your past...or simply talk...some of the most meaningful conversations I have had with my children have been in the late hours of the night when their mom or sibling are passed out in the seats around us.

5. Use a rental car if you can afford it...for the best rates either use the AAA discount on Hertz or better yet r try alamo (I would suggest booking a car early to make sure you can get the one you want...but then check out the last minute deals on Alamo--they come out about two weeks prior to travel dates and are often very inexpensive--you can then cancel the other car without any financial penalty)...the rental vehicle (which will be both new and unknown) adds a bit of excitement to the trip as the kids explore its nuances and options and adds the extra benefit of immediate replacement if something goes awry. (This once proved very important to us after an encounter with a deer in central Indiana at 1AM).

6. Keep your brain engaged...bring your favorite CDs, use a satellite radio or simply scan the AM channels for a program called something like CoasttoCoast AM hosted by George Norry...its a call in show on paranormal topics that usually is random enough and interesting enough to keep you awake. I think it usually airs from midnight to 5am which is good for an overnight drive.

Hope this helps and that you all have a great trip.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thank you so much!!! We do have AAA. I can't wait to get in the car and drive!
    Have you tried the online TripTik at AAA.com? It's a great tool! You can rearrange your route with just a click and drag and it re-calculates the time and distance. It also has construction updates.

Safe driving!

p.s. Is taking a an option?
    Upcoming:
    Jan/Feb 2018

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2017

Cypress Palms - 2014

Port Orleans - French Quarter - 2006
    Bonnet Creek Resort - 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016

Paradise Pier (Disneyland) - 2003
    Coronado Springs - 2001

Wilderness Lodge - 2000

Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans - Riverside) - 1999

Post Thanks / Like

As Jennifer_and_Chris said We do the same thing! We stop at the Florida welcome center, take pictures of the kids next to the sign, have some juice, grab some brochures... .

We too enjoy this stop, but often can't make it in time for the juice. You'll want to check their hours, as the reception area has been closing at 5pm. While their vending machines and bathrroms remain open, if you arrive later in the day -- you will not be able to get the juice or brochures.
    From our experience -- if you arrive at 4:45, they are already putting away the free maps and litter bags. By 4:50 they're sending people out. Doors locked promptly at 5pm.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it is going to be difficult, but I am thinking if most of the driving is at night, they will sleep the majority of the trip. We drove to NC once to visit family, and drove straight. We also recently did 8 hours and they were great. We only had 4 kids at the time, but they were great. We will have two of us driving and figure one can sleep while the other is driving.
    You may be pleasantly suprised. We always drive and we have 4 kids. From ill, it is an 18 hr drive and we do most of it at night and drive straight through. We never have a problem. We always arrive around 8-9 am. I do all the driving myself, my husband has highway hypnosis and sleep apnea, and I still get through the next day just fine. (anticipation i guess) My tip would be to buy a converter to plug into the lighter so that you can plug things into a busway and use video game chargers or laptop for movies. We dont pull these things out until the kids get restless in the early am. Just make sure you unplug it before you turn the car on, you can blow a fuse if you dont. The trip home is a bit rougher and we stop more frequently, since we are all exhausted, but with the memories to look back on, we have more idle conversation, instead. I dont think you will have as many issues then, as you do concerns at the present.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot help too much with your question on the routes. However, I wanted to give you a couple of suggestions. We drive from PA with our two children every year (though we do stop).
    What we have learned: Pack a cooler with lunch meats, bread, and drinks. I highly suggest you not stop at a restaraunt. We once stopped at Eat N Park and it took us 2 - 2 1/2 hours (they were having a shortage in the kitchen). Oh how mad we were; however, what do you do? We had no idea it would take that long. The other reason, I say don't stop is all it does is get the kids out to sit again. We usually eat in the car and then let them walk around at the rest stops. This gets them much more stretch time.

If you have a DVD player in the car, plan some movies. A great educational DVD series is the Liberty kids DVD (Amazon). My girls love them and they could watch them without complaint for a long while. Also, they have learned a ton about the revolutionary war watching them. We actually do not let them watch anything for at least the first few hours in the car. THis way they do not get bored with them, once they are watching them.

My girls are better in the car then I am, so driving for us is not a problem. Good luck and have fun.

Lori Ann
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drive

We drive all the time with our three boys, and by all the time, I mean 2 times a year, so it's do-able. We've done an 18 hour drive in one shot, but we usually break it up.

All previous advice is great.

This past trip, I did try that 5 hour energy drink. It takes disgusting, but it really did help with that after-the-kids-are-asleep time.

We also signed up for XM radio, so we could listen to music, talk, sports, etc. for the whole ride.
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: