Quantcast Seven Tips for Dealing with Rope Drop & Toy Story Mania

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seven Tips for Dealing with Rope Drop & Toy Story Mania

I've noticed several posts recently about the madness that is Toy Story Mania right after Rope Drop each day at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I thought I would present a few tips for anyone interested in this daily morning experience.

Disney's Hollywood Studios typically opens at 9AM each day.

There is always a crowd of a couple hundred people waiting at the entry turnstiles.

They are spread out into nearly 15 lines.

TIP #1 The entry line on the far right is usually shorter. Why? There is a sign above it that says it's The Cast Member Entrance. However, any guest may use it as well. Many people avoid this line because they think they can't use it. Chances are you will get in a bit more quickly if you use this line.

Once you are in, you make your way down Hollywood Blvd. and you are told to stop at the intersection with Sunset Blvd. The crowd that gathers here will be huge and unorganized. I will refer to this large gathering group as The Mob. This is where the rope will drop to allow everyone into the park.

TIP#2 Try to stand on the far right side in The Mob as you wait for the rope drop. Once The Mob starts moving, you will be in a good spot once you reach Toy Story Mania.

Once the rope is dropped and the mass of people heads toward Toy Story Mania, you will see that you will generally have to walk across the park near all of those you just stood at the rope with because the entire mob will be lead by several Toy Story Mania cast members.

TIP#3 You may NOT try to get in front of the cast members. They will tell you to stop and get back into The Mob. They will not let anyone break away from the pack. So you will be forced to walk at the cast member pace to the attraction.

TIP#4 The stairs next to the Chinese Theater are a quicker way to get to Toy Story Mania, HOWEVER, you may not use them. You must stay with The Mob. There are cast members standing guard at the stairs to tell you to get back into The Mob if you try something clever.

Before you reach the entrance to Toy Story Mania, you will reach the Fast Pass machines on your right. There will be utter confusion at this point. People on the left of the Mob will try to cut across to the right side once they realize both the entrance and fast passes are on the right.

TIP#5 Get a Fast Pass immediately upon seeing the Fast Pass machines. It will only take you a minute or two if you are one of the first people there. Your Fast Pass will be good in one hour.

TIP#6 Don't forget that the Fast Pass Machine has an exit behind it. You can get your Fast Passes and then just take two steps forward to go behind the machine and then exit. Most people obtain their Fast Passes and then instictively turn around to fight their way back out through the people behind them.

TIP#7 After you get a fast pass, go directly into the regular standby entrance for Toy Story Mania. There may be a log jam right at the entrance, but once inside, you will walk through the entire queue with little to no wait. ( Well worth it because it is one of the best queues in Walt Disney World- and you do not see most of it when you enter as a Fast Pass rider.)

If you are at the Studios for Rope Drop and use these tip[s, you will be able to ride Toy Story Mania twice in the first hour of the day - and considering that only two hours later, the wait will be close to 90 minutes, it's worth the effort.

Hope this helped anyone who wanted a detailed description.

Now keep shootin!

Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Good tips! I will try this out on our next trip. It's just DH and I so we don't have to worry about a stroller or having any of our peeps run over. We will progress in a nice, orlderly and calm fashion!
    Autism Awareness-Solve the Puzzle
    June 1989-Off Site
    May 2002-Off Site
    October 2006-All Star Movies
    March 2007-All Star Sports
    March 2008-Pop Century
    September 2008-Pop Century
    October 2009-All Star Movies
    February 2010-Dolphin

November 2010-Birthday & Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I can verify that these tips are PERFECT, as it's exactly what we've done, and it's worked like a charm every time. Thanks for sharing -- it makes the morning at DHS a lot more enjoyable!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! We'll give this a try in May. When you exit behind the FP machines, do you go left or right? Is there a CM there directing you?
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz36 View Post
    Thanks! We'll give this a try in May. When you exit behind the FP machines, do you go left or right? Is there a CM there directing you?
    You'd go to your left... the machines are before the ride. And no, there's no CM directing you 'til you get over to the ride. But it's really clear -- you'll just walk "behind" the machines to the left, past the FP entrance, and continue on to the entrance to the line for the ride que.

Have fun!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ! This is a great post !
    Thank you so much !
    -------------
    Numerous day trips to DLRP
    2007 DW - POP, AK, POFQ
    2007 DLRP - Halloween at DLRP, Newport Bay Club Hotel
    2008 : Universal And POR WDW
    2009 : Disneyland Anaheim Off Site
    2010 : Florida, Wilderness Lodge and DCL : 04/22 - 05/06

Post Thanks / Like

These are good tips and they do not pertain specifically for TSM. They can be used for ToT and RnRC as well. The first half of my trip, I will do this with TSM. When my DW joins the second half, we will FP RnRC, get in standby, then ToT, then ride FP RnRC, standby ToT, then get FP for TSM.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips! Me, my DS and DD will be there in 8 days (woo hoo!!) and we'll try this out. We've not done this ride yet and are very excited about trying it out. As people who generally don't do rope drops, what time should I plan on getting to the park to wait to go through the turnstiles?

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips, Toy Story Mania is new since our last trip so it's a high priority for us this year.

Normally we've arrived after park opening, grabbed fastpasses for Rock & Rollercoaster and gone onto Tower of Terror. What we might do this time (aiming for rope drop) is just go into the standby for TSM right at the start, then proceed to our usual ToT/RnRC combo.

What are queues like for those two now (assuming it's morning, late August)? Are they worth fast passing at that time or if we decided we want to do TSM again would w ebe beter off getting a fastpass to go on this again later and just going into standby for ToT and RnRC?
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

This is very accurate information.
    Of course everything depends upon being a part of the Mob that opens up the park. If you are able to do that, anything you want to do that day becomes much easier. You could, for example, go straight to Toy Story Mania, ride a couple of times, then get a fastpass for later. Or get a fastpass for TSM, ride or not ride, and make tracks to Rockin Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Concievably, you could ride all the big three in the first hour or so. But only if you are one of the first few in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to add that the que that you are waiting in is awesome for photo's with your little ones and as much part of the ride for little ones. So, please refrain from loud groaning as parents try to obtain pics when there is clearly a line in front of said photo takers. Also no pushing said photo takers would be greatly appreciated!! If there were no line they would gladly let you fly by!! Remember we are at Disney and they have gone to great measures to make the ques enjoyable so let those that want to enjoy them do so.
    Mary Ellen

WDW

Oct1992 OKW
    Sept2007 OKW
    Sept17-23 2008 OKW
    Sept15-22 2009 OKW
    Jan13-17 2010 POP, OKW
    Sept16-25 2010 OKW
    Jan16-19 2011 SSR
    Jan13-19 2013 OKW
    Jan20-26 2014 SSR
    Dec05-16 2014 SSR
    Sept12-18 2015 SSR
    June7-12 2016 OKW
    Upcoming
    Sept8-13 2016 OKW
    Jan2017

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add that unless you are in the very front of the crowds at opening a better option might be to bypass the Fastpass lines at Toy Story Mania and go directly to the standby line. Within minutes after opening, the Fastpass lines are often longer than the standby line, so you if you go through the standby line by the time you get off the ride the Fastpass lines are usually much shorter and you can get a Fastpass for later in the day to ride again.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great tips we are leaving for the world on friday.. We will use all the tips you gave. Thanks again!!
    Carribean 90's
    Outside the world 2-05---Hannah's 1st trip
    Port Orleans Riverside 5-06
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 1-07
    Pop Century 9-07---Kaleb's 1st trip
    Polynesian 12-08
    Animal Kingdom Lodge 1-10 (Got AP's) Pop Century---DH and Me for Bday 5-10
    OKW--11-10
    Off site 5-12
    OKW--4-13

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent tips! TSM is also new for us this year & this will completely change our touring pattern of DHS! I love new stuff at WDW!

Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    I've noticed several posts recently about the madness that is Toy Story Mania right after Rope Drop each day at Disney's Hollywood Studios.
    These were the exact steps I took on our last trip, and the plan executed itself brilliantly...

until we were in front of Mr. Potato Head and the ride had "technical difficulties" and we were forced to exit the queue.

TSM was shut down for the whole morning and into the early afternoon that day, so we never did get back to ride.

Figures, the ONE time we're at a park at rope drop, and I have my plan all laid our perfectly
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with the tips, actually, as they are the sort of tips that would just add stress to my day. I would say to enter the park at or not long after opening and make your way to TSM at your own pace. Relax. Enjoy the atmosphere. Once you get to TSM, forget FP. The FP line is not worth rushing for-- unless you're one of the first in the crowd, the wait will be uselessly long. Just go to the Stand-By line.

At the beginning of the day, Stand By is usually 20-40 minutes- time which is much nicer spent with your family observing the queue atmosphere while waiting to ride then going crazy with separating and stressing out to be try to be first to the FP machine. Then you just go on with your day instead of worrying about waiting for FP and waiting in line again when everyone with the FP for your time shows up and your wait time is 20-40 minutes in the end anyway.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g8rgirl29 View Post
    I would also like to add that the que that you are waiting in is awesome for photo's with your little ones and as much part of the ride for little ones. So, please refrain from loud groaning as parents try to obtain pics when there is clearly a line in front of said photo takers. Also no pushing said photo takers would be greatly appreciated!! If there were no line they would gladly let you fly by!! Remember we are at Disney and they have gone to great measures to make the ques enjoyable so let those that want to enjoy them do so.
    I would like to point out as a family photo taker, that in my opinion-It is perfectly exceptable to "skip" (walk past) those people who do stop to take pictures.
    I also agree that I found it better to get in line first and then get the FP after we had ridden.
    Thanks for the thread.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Great tips, thanks for sharing!!!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also like to say No running (cast members will stop you) and please KNOW how to get a fastpass before you get there. There is nothing like a person in front of you that has NO idea how to even retrieve a fastpass.
    By the time they figure it out 5 15 minute increments have passed.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the tips! And I also love the fact that CM's now "walk" you to the popular attractions in the morning. It's so much better than being trampled by the crazies.

Each time a new attraction goes on line, I recall that it won't be long before it's old stuff and the lines will be manageable one day.
    Just Jill.......

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: