Quantcast "Forgetting" the tip on DDP - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    1. I didn't realize tips were required.

2. A server at a buffet may clean up more plates but they don't deliver plates. I like tipping but expecting 18% when the server eventually brings one round of beverages and plates stack up 'til we leave is excessive.

When I go out, I budget to tip (always in cash) and enjoy being generous. I like leaving a restaurant where I had great service and just tipped enough to have the server chase me outside to thank me...but nowadays more often than not, I get a surely waiter who hates her/his job and the customers and is counting down the days 'til s/he can move on to her/his "real" job and thinks the customers should all go eat at the dollar menu place.

That's a guest's 2 cents worth.
    I totally agree! Too many waitresses and waiters feel that their tip is a given. I have a major problem not leaving a tip. But, there have been instances when I have left a dollar and a "tip" telling them how they could have had a 20% tip. Good service gets a good tip. We have been treated poorly at some restaurants because we have our children with us, who behave better than a lot of adults nowadays. We are given service to coincide with what the waitstaff THOUGHT our tip would be. Turns out they are usually right or disappointed as I tip solely based on service. So, for all you waiters and waitresses out there, I will tell you. Your tip starts at 20% with me. If you go beyond what I think any waitstaff should go, I may give more. But, if you ignore me, are rude to me, or act like I am bothering you because I sat in your section, or, and this is a biggy, neglect my beverage glass, you may be the next recipient of a dollar and a "tip"!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    2. A server at a buffet may clean up more plates but they don't deliver plates. I like tipping but expecting 18% when the server eventually brings one round of beverages and plates stack up 'til we leave is excessive.

And, most of these places have table bussers. So...
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work in the service industry and it is horrible taste to remind patrons of a tip. This is my policy anywhere i go: bad service= no tip, reminding me of giving a tip= no tip, and I only tip at the most 15%. People tend to forget that tips are optional and based on the service given. I think if more servers understood that concept...servers would be really great! JMO though.
    Ashley
    DVC MEMBER
    January 1989- Contemporary
    July 2001- Grand Floridian
    September 2005- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    September 2006- Grand Floridian
    September 2007- Contemporary
    September 2008- Polynesian
    March 2009- All Star Movies
    December 2009- Bay Lake Tower 2 bedroom MK view!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by em-n-mia's-mommy View Post
    I used to work in the service industry and it is horrible taste to remind patrons of a tip. This is my policy anywhere i go: bad service= no tip, reminding me of giving a tip= no tip, and I only tip at the most 15%. People tend to forget that tips are optional and based on the service given. I think if more servers understood that concept...servers would be really great! JMO though.
    I completely agree. If tips are REQUIRED that should be clearly stated on the menu. I think tipping has gotten way out of had (used to be 12%, then 15%, then 18%, now 20%??) and most servers just expect it for not doing anything other the bare mininum.

And yes, I've worked in resturants for many years and my wife still does (and has for 15 years).
    POR - 2007
    POR - 2009 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Forgot"

I conviently forgot to leave a tip-- or at least the standard 18% for the already OVER priced BUFFETS where they only served drinks to you, and nothing more. I dont think they should have to pay the 18% if i do all the work getting my food-- plates, etc.
    I would leave a less tip-- like for a buffet at 30.00pp, and kids at 15.00pp, for my total bill of 75.00 for a buffet-- i would leave more like 10 %-- like a $7 tip! I dont think thats awful! I think its reasonable since they are already over priced!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'd be hesitant to skip a tip simply because a server (who is probably required to do so) asked me how I wanted to pay for it. I just don't see any way around it for the servers ... management could fix it, yes, but the servers are sort of stuck.

I'm not going to allow myself to fall into the trap of blaming underpaid, overworked waitstaff for what is nothing more than another horrible decision by WDW management.

What I plan on doing is apologizing to the servers for their having to feel uncomfortable about the tip, tipping them generously (if service warrants it, of course) and complaining bitterly to management about how ridiculously cumbersome and user-unfriendly the new system is. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the manager at every single sit-down restaurant we eat in next month won't get an earful from me.

No, it wasn't their decision, but management in any organization is a conduit to the senior executives. That's part of their role and they're just going to have to deal with it.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DsnyFan4ever View Post
    I conviently forgot to leave a tip-- or at least the standard 18% for the already OVER priced BUFFETS where they only served drinks to you, and nothing more. I dont think they should have to pay the 18% if i do all the work getting my food-- plates, etc.
    I would leave a less tip-- like for a buffet at 30.00pp, and kids at 15.00pp, for my total bill of 75.00 for a buffet-- i would leave more like 10 %-- like a $7 tip! I dont think thats awful! I think its reasonable since they are already over priced!
    This one sorta bugs me too. They take a "drink order" and then once they bring the drinks they disappear. If I want more to drink I have to repeatedly ASK. They "might" take plates away after a while. And they expect almost $14 for ME doing the work?
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised to see so many complaints about the service at buffets.

I can't ever remember returning to my table after getting more food to see ANY plates still sitting there. And, I don't remember ever needing to ask for a refill...normally they're refilling the glass when it's still half full (I'm a glass half full kind of person, not half empty ).

With our DDE, I'm really glad that the 18% gratuity is now included. Will save us some money since we always tip 20-25% anyway. I have absolutely no problem tipping 18% at the buffets since the servers most likely have to share their tips with the bussers. Besides....if I can't afford a few extra % tip, then I shouldn't be shelling out several thousand for a trip to WDW.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    I'm surprised to see so many complaints about the service at buffets.

I can't ever remember returning to my table after getting more food to see ANY plates still sitting there. And, I don't remember ever needing to ask for a refill...normally they're refilling the glass when it's still half full (I'm a glass half full kind of person, not half empty ).
    SurferStitch, I am with you on the service at buffets. Drinks were always refilled quickly and plates were cleared right away. I figure buffets are a great value - for about the price of an entree at a sit down restaurant - I get a huge variety of food that would be both unrealistic and incredibly expensive at a TS restaurant.

I haven't been to WDW since the new DDP was put in place so I can't comment on that other then it sounds like an akward exchange all around. Regardless, I wouldn't not tip unless I had horrific service but I don't let it get to the point. I'll ask the server what's going on or go to the manager if there's a bigger issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile You Get What You Earn

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

gra·tu·ity
    Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural gra·tu·ities : something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip
    Note the words voluntarily or beyond obligation. Nobody is ever required to leave a tip, but it's good form.

My last trip to WDW I had the old DDP with 18% already included. Overall, I received good, if not excellent, service. When a waitperson went above & beyond, I left more. It all worked well, but if I had received poor service I would have had to make an issue out of it with the restaurant manager. With the "improved" DDP, it simplifies things for me - the waitperson will get exactly what they deserve.

As for the awkwardness about reminding patrons that tips are no longer included, the servers are really stuck in a bad place with this. Disney should rethink how they address this & fix it. I also agree that a polite, up front explanation from the server is the best way to go.

And lastly, for those of you on the DDE with the tip included, that 18% isn't a tip - it's a surcharge.
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even able to imagine anyone "forgetting" a tip. I know there has been a change in the dining plan, but that has been made perfectly clear. If you buy the dining plan and don't know what's included, you're being foolish, even if you have bought it before because things change and that change has been highly publicized. There's really just no excuse for forgetting, to me, unless it's done on purpose. Am I being too harsh? Maybe. The servers shouldn't have to remind people.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We went last September and had the Dinnning Plan for free and loved it. We were planning on paying for it in the future just because we enjoyed it and its great for budgiting your trip. But now with tip extra I am not so sure. Will have to think about it.
    November 2010 Disneyland
    December 2009 Disneyland
    March 2008 Disneyland
    December 2007 Disneyland
    September 2007 All Star Music
    August 2007 Disneyland
    October 2006 Offsite
    December 2003 POR
    June 2001 All Star Music

Post Thanks / Like

the disney corporation has put their folks in an awkward spot. they shouldn't have to tell people about the tipping policy. i like the idea of the percentages being printed out. i'm an overtipper usually and very generous if the service is exemplary.

if the service is subpar or we seem to be a "bother" to the server, i will reduce or eliminate the tip. it has never happened to us at disney though , in fact, i budget extra for tips at disney because i usually come away with at least one dazzling display of service during our vacation there.

with the change in the dining plan i probably would be a little taken aback if the server starting talking about the tip before the meal happened. it sounds like a conversation that should take place discreetly at the time the check is brought over. something like "if you have found my service to be exemplary and you wish to include a tip..." would be hard to find fault with as i was being presented with the bill. just a thought...

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'd be hesitant to skip a tip simply because a server (who is probably required to do so) asked me how I wanted to pay for it. I just don't see any way around it for the servers ... management could fix it, yes, but the servers are sort of stuck.

I'm not going to allow myself to fall into the trap of blaming underpaid, overworked waitstaff for what is nothing more than another horrible decision by WDW management.

What I plan on doing is apologizing to the servers for their having to feel uncomfortable about the tip, tipping them generously (if service warrants it, of course) and complaining bitterly to management about how ridiculously cumbersome and user-unfriendly the new system is. In fact, it's highly unlikely that the manager at every single sit-down restaurant we eat in next month won't get an earful from me.

No, it wasn't their decision, but management in any organization is a conduit to the senior executives. That's part of their role and they're just going to have to deal with it.
    Well said Ian. Truth is, I tip really well as long as they don't make me park my Segway too far from the table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I'm not even able to imagine anyone "forgetting" a tip. I know there has been a change in the dining plan, but that has been made perfectly clear. If you buy the dining plan and don't know what's included, you're being foolish, even if you have bought it before because things change and that change has been highly publicized. There's really just no excuse for forgetting, to me, unless it's done on purpose. Am I being too harsh? Maybe. The servers shouldn't have to remind people.
    I think that's the problem: the servers don't HAVE to remind people to leave a tip-from what I've heard about the new DDP, they're reminding people before they even order. Long before a tip is even an issue. This will irritate me, esp. since I don't need to be reminded to leave a tip.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm in the minority here, but I have no problem with the explanation of the changes to the DDP. Even if they mention that tip is no longer included. That doesn't bother me at all. I think I'd be uncomfortable if they came back and asked how I'd like to pay for tip and having them know how much ahead of time how much I'm paying. My way around that? Write cash on the tip line and leave cash before I leave. I've only not tipped once (thoughI did tell the waitress where she could put the toast that she never brought me that I waited almost thirty minutes for) and I generally over-tip. (I've left almost a 50% tip before, but the waitress was AWESOME!!) I don't think this is a big issue as long as it's approached tastefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    And lastly, for those of you on the DDE with the tip included, that 18% isn't a tip - it's a surcharge.
    Yup....and it's gonna save me money!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Young@Heart View Post
    I think that's the problem: the servers don't HAVE to remind people to leave a tip-from what I've heard about the new DDP, they're reminding people before they even order. Long before a tip is even an issue. This will irritate me, esp. since I don't need to be reminded to leave a tip.
    Of course, and I agree. Just (and the reason I broke a 2 year hiatus on this site to post about it) realize that when I was a server at Disney, management was VERY strict on having each server be consistent on what he/she says - so the tip "reminder" probably isn't the server's choice. Please don't not tip or tip less for that reason alone.
    Kelly
    Former
    WDW Cast Member :)

Post Thanks / Like

The whole point of a tip is to reward a job well done in my opinion. I think people should tip according to what they are comfortable with and not feel locked into a certain percentage. Ask me about leaving a tip and that percentage drops. Bad service get a big goose egg from me! 0%

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

will never do the dining plan again, its costing us $20 per sit down for 2 adults and $10 for buffets, with NO APPS, this is ridiculous. we were stuck with it because we previously had a dec trip planned but had to change dates last minute. I am so angry about this new plan I could scream (and have). Like we need the desserts?!?!!?!??!?1 UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: