Quantcast x pass?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: x pass?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Ok, didn't ever notice that! LOL. Have these times been posted from the very beginning of fastpass? Our incident with the fastpass at the time of our ADR was over 5 years ago. Not that it would make a difference for me since still to this day I had no idea these posted times existed. I guess I am in "lala" land when I'm in WDW!
    A great illustration of why unneccessarily enforcing this is a bad idea.

buzznwoodysmom has been a regular on Intercot for some time, which certifies her as a Disney nut, but yet she didn't know about the posted times. While I thought "WHAT!" when I first read this, it goes along with my feelings of "it's a vacation", and for most folks that means not over-thinking every minute of every day, EVEN if it is more efficient for Disney or other guests. We all know how the efficiency of ADR's has stressed many of us to "make our time" and I would hate for Fastpass to be the next victim.

To put it in Disney speak, Hakuna Matata!
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    it goes along with my feelings of "it's a vacation", and for most folks that means not over-thinking every minute of every day, EVEN if it is more efficient for Disney or other guests. We all know how the efficiency of ADR's has stressed many of us to "make our time" and I would hate for Fastpass to be the next victim.
    I totally agree with you, but unfortunately what little we know so far about this NextGen stuff seems to contradict this philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, When I got a Living w/ the Land Fastpass, they mentioned anytime afterwards as we were about to go ride Soarin, Eat Lunch, and take our scheduled restroom break.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I totally agree with you, but unfortunately what little we know so far about this NextGen stuff seems to contradict this philosophy.
    Which is precisely why, if this stupid "NextGen" garbage turns out to be half as bad as it sounds, my DVC's are going on the market and we'll be taking our vacations at the beach from now on.

I refuse to be forced to plan out every split-second of my vacation just to avoid being shut out of rides, character meet-and-greets, and restaurants ... you know, all the stuff I'm actually, well, there for?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Which is precisely why, if this stupid "NextGen" garbage turns out to be half as bad as it sounds, my DVC's are going on the market and we'll be taking our vacations at the beach from now on.

I refuse to be forced to plan out every split-second of my vacation just to avoid being shut out of rides, character meet-and-greets, and restaurants ... you know, all the stuff I'm actually, well, there for?
    Ian, I agree 100%.

We are at a point now that even our ADRs seem like such a headache. I hate having to watch the clock to keep track of our next meal. If we have to have a complete schedule of meals, rides, character meets, then the trip becomes not at all enjoyable, and we'd rather spend our time and money elsewhere. I really hope it doesn't come to this.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We are at a point now that even our ADRs seem like such a headache. I hate having to watch the clock to keep track of our next meal. If we have to have a complete schedule of meals, rides, character meets, then the trip becomes not at all enjoyable, and we'd rather spend our time and money elsewhere. I really hope it doesn't come to this.
    Exactly! I'm so not a spreadsheet vacation kind of gal.

I've caught myself recently poo-pooing some Disney announcements which have turned out to be great, so I'm going to TRY and reserve judgement on this until all the details come out. So far though - not impressed!

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't enforce the fast pass time window at least to a degree, then it kind of defeats the purpose of the system, doesn't it? And if there not going to enforce that rule, why should they enforce line cutting, or ADR, or EMH only for resort guests? We have more than once seen that we would not be able to use our fastpass on time, so we gave them away. I don't think someone should have to wait on me because I CHOOSE to go on another ride before using my fastpass. Disney cannot predict when a ride breaks down or how long people will sit at their dining tables, so some leaniency would be nice, 15 min., 30 min. max maybe. I think the fast pass was designed to make wait times more predictable, and efficient, and to allow people to plan better, but how can this happen when the time windows aren't followed? I can't say that I'm happy with some of the recent managerial decisions that are made at disney, but I think this one is just, fair. Because before we had fast pass, we were all waiting in the same "stand bye" line, and if I have to come back by the time my ticket says, well that's the rule and it sounds fair to me. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gratuspater View Post
    If they don't enforce the fast pass time window at least to a degree, then it kind of defeats the purpose of the system, doesn't it?
    Not a all.

And if there not going to enforce that rule, why should they enforce line cutting, or ADR, or EMH only for resort guests?
    Line cutting is staunchly against the rules.
    The FP window is not "enforced" by Disney design.
    The FP system works just fine without enforcing the window.
    ADR's are often honored later than their exact time.
    PM EMH time can be open to all, it's just that non-WDW Resort guests cannot ride attractions during the EMH.
    AM EMH, only WDW Resort guests can enter the park in the first hour.

We have more than once seen that we would not be able to use our fastpass on time, so we gave them away. I don't think someone should have to wait on me because I CHOOSE to go on another ride before using my fastpass.
    Nobody would be "waiting on you" if you use your FP after the printed window.
    In reality, you allowed many guests to "go ahead of you" during the earlier time that you did not ride during the printed window.

I think the fast pass was designed to make wait times more predictable, and efficient, and to allow people to plan better, but how can this happen when the time windows aren't followed?
    The FP system works just fine without enforcing the window.
    Disney created the FP and the FP rules.
    As long as you don't use the FP "early" (before the window time) then it doesn't matter much when you choose to use it.
    If you want to use the FP inside that window, you are free to do so...
    just as are guests who choose to use the FP after the window (on the same day it was issued.)

I can't say that I'm happy with some of the recent managerial decisions that are made at disney, but I think this one is just, fair. Because before we had fast pass, we were all waiting in the same "stand bye" line, and if I have to come back by the time my ticket says, well that's the rule and it sounds fair to me.
    It has not been that way since nearly the beginning of FP.
    Anytime you used a FP, you were playing within the current rules.
    If you liked FP, you liked the system that you are disparaging.

Just my opinion.
    And, I've just spoken mine.

Post Thanks / Like

WDW is against enforcing any of their rules. The reason FP is broken is because people do not come back during the 1-hour window. If a CM can enforce the Start Time of the FP, then can surely enforce the End Time I literally had to wait 30 seconds for our FPs on KS. I looked at the guy like he was a leper. But he let someone in with one that was expired. I asked to speak to his manager.

The whole purpose of FP was to get you on an attraction in ~5 minutes or so. Now, FP lines can be 15-30 minutes or longer.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy for CMs to enforce the start time of the FPs without making anyone unhappy -- it's a lot harder to enforce the end time. (For example: Too early? You CAN use your pass at the time it says on the FP. Too late? You CAN'T use the pass at all.)

The company policy of CMs letting people in if they're late is completely different than people finding out online that you can use FPs anytime after the end time. I've even seen people advising other guests to use them on different days and to just tell the CM at the gate that the ride was down on the day they tried to use it. Because of the Internet, FPs have turned into open-ended pass times, which was never intended.

That said, regarding the NextGen stuff, PLEASE don't make me have to plan every blessed activity in order not to have to wait in endless lines. I don't want or need the stress before or during my vacation.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Same here. We actually haven't made many ADR's on our last couple trips (just for the key places we had to eat). We've just taken to winging it and hoping for the best.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    WDW is against enforcing any of their rules.
    Silly.

The reason FP is broken is because people do not come back during the 1-hour window.
    I didn't know FP was broken.
    Also, there's no reason to have to ride within that 1 hour window.

If a CM can enforce the Start Time of the FP, then can surely enforce the End Time I literally had to wait 30 seconds for our FPs on KS. I looked at the guy like he was a leper. But he let someone in with one that was expired. I asked to speak to his manager.
    The reason FP works is the cause guests to "come back later" only as early as the beginning of the window. The end of the window doesn't matter much, in general.
    What did the manger tell you?

The whole purpose of FP was to get you on an attraction in ~5 minutes or so.
    No, that's not the whole purpose of FP.

Now, FP lines can be 15-30 minutes or longer.
    Maybe, maybe not.
    But, the use of FP after the window is not necessarily the reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies if this is off topic, but I'm confused about the NextGen thing. Am I to believe that in the future, if I want to ride, say, Splash Mountain, that I'll need a reservation? Let's say I neglect to make one? Does this mean I won't get to ride it? What happens if I get behind on my ride reservations because of a ride breakdown, my waitress is slow, or my kid gets tired? What if I get off Splash and just happen to want to ride again? Will I have to make reservations for my snacks and quick service too? Am I to know 180 days in advance when I'll be hungry? Should I reserve bathroom breaks too?

I hope I'm wrong about this. I'm an avid planner. I've got an itinerary for next August's trip already. The thing is, the itinerary is extremely flexible and can be altered at any time without any harm. This NextGen thing sounds way too rigid, unless I'm reading it wrong, which I hope is the case. If not, I never thought I'd say this, but I think I might be taking my last trip to WDW next year too...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We never plan for ADR's as it seems like you
    always have to wait no mater what time your
    ADR is for. As for the fasspass we always try to
    get back during the window that we have. We
    have never been more than a few minutes late
    at times. If you have a certain time to be back
    then you should do your best to get there at
    that time at least that is my feeling on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am one of those that hate planning our trip. I hate having reservations for dining, I hate fast pass, etc. I love being able to relax and not look at my watch when I am at Disney. We will make reservations once in a while for a restaurant, but do not schedule them day after day. I hate having to plan what and where I am just for dining. So, I will no doubt frown upon an xpass.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I'm actually seeing some buzz about Disney recently testing in some spots how Fastpass was originally intended to work - guests actually having to return during the hour window on their FP. Also reports are indicating that CMs are no longer advising guests that the return times are open-ended, like they have in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Oh no...we used to always return "late". Although, I understand why they might want to enforce the window. However, how can they account for lateness that is not the guest's fault? Like, ride breakdowns, or longer than posted waits at other rides, longer than usual lines at food/merchandise spots, etc.? Isn't that why the return time is open ended?
    Interesting topic. Just got back, and happened across a number of new CMs getting trained (Maybe it's turnover season for college program?) As far as FP is concerned I overheard CMs at two locations explicitly state that the FPs should always be accepted after the start time has passed, no matter how late it is.

One day, Toy Story Mania broke down for most of the day. We had gotten fastpasses for it, with our window starting at around 10:15. 10:30 rolls around and it's still down, but we want to ride something else. All the other major rides now had extra long lines because of TSM being down. Tower of Terror had a 50 min posted wait time so we decided to FastPass it, do Rock N Roller Coaster, and come back. Only problem was, we were still blocked out of getting FastPasses, but our current ones were unusable due to ride breakdown. A CM overheard us and didn't even blink in printing us ToT FPs even though we weren't entitled to them.

Moral of the story is from what I saw, CMs are still being trained to accommodate the guests as best they can as far as FP goes. If they start enforcing return times and take that too bad, so sad mentality, it's not going to be pretty.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I agree 100%.

And I agree with both of you, I think this would completely kill the Disney Magic for me and my family. I hope the "Powers That Be" monitor this site and listen to the reactions of some of the most obsessed Disney fans!!

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too much

I get so exhausted trying to manage ADRs and FPs along with show times - we don’t want to sit in air conditioned FOTLK soaking wet from KRR, right?.

I am willing to trek to the attraction to get FPs and come back later for the “experience” but if we’re a little late in getting back during the return time hour will somebody please give us a small break?

I hope I never see restrooms at WDW with two entrances, one marked “Standby” and the other showing a FastPee Return Time.

Post Thanks / Like

...I refuse to be forced to plan out every split-second of my vacation just to avoid being shut out of rides, character meet-and-greets, and restaurants ... you know, all the stuff I'm actually, well, there for?

Even the one or two dinner ADRs are a little too much for me. I like being flexible.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Us too...we actually used to do more table service meals than we do now...the whole ADR thing can really dominate the trip and take alot of the fun out things as you hurry to "get there."

If everything starts going "on the clock" then WDW will lose much of its appeal to us as well. One of the reasons I left public accounting all those years ago was having to track and bill my time at six minute intervals...if I have to start planning my disney vacations that precisely I'll opt for something that offers a bit more freedom.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: