Quantcast Resort Hopping Strategy?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Resort Hopping Strategy?

My wife and I and our two boys (3 and 1 1/2) are going to be renting a house off property this summer. We are going to be staying at the house for a full week but only going to the parks for 2 days. On the other days we were wanting to simply take advantage of a lot of the free things there are to do in WDW. We really want to simply go around from resort to resort and look around. What are your tips on doing this? I know there are guards at the front of each resort, can we simply tell them we are here to look around or is there something else we need to do?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that for anything except the deluxe resorts, you can simply say you're visiting. I'm not sure the procedure for deluxe visiting because I know some people try to skip out on paying parking by parking there instead. In fact, the same could be said for most any resort, however those are the most convenient to MK.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine with telling them you'd like to look around the resort, maybe do some shopping or have lunch.

For the Magic Kingdom area resorts, I'd suggest going to some place like Wilderness Lodge which doesn't get as many folks trying to park there in order to avoid the Magic Kingdom parking fees. From there you could take a boat ride to Fort Wilderness to check out the campground. Another boat ride will bring you to the Contemporary and/or the Magic Kingdom. From there, you could tour the monorail resorts before returning to Wilderness Lodge.

From the Boardwalk, you could tour Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, the Dolphin, and the Swan quite easily.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a destination in, and of, itself so you could drive directly there.

If you wanted to visit any others, you'd pretty much have to drive to each of the destinations.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    My experience has been that for anything except the deluxe resorts, you can simply say you're visiting. I'm not sure the procedure for deluxe visiting because I know some people try to skip out on paying parking by parking there instead. In fact, the same could be said for most any resort, however those are the most convenient to MK.
    No, no issues with the deluxe resorts...The deluxe resorts are very easy to simply look around. We do it every visit..you just say you are eating or looking at the resort...(which is what we do). I suppose one could park there for free as a way to get to the M.K....I know a lot who do. But, there has never been an issue just to look around. Actually, our favorite resort to do that is Wilderness lodge.

Post Thanks / Like

What started for us as just a morning at DTD ended up being almost a full day of resort hopping. We combined busses, boats, monorails and walking into a fun free Disney day.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Linda already gave great advice. I'm just chiming in to say if it is within your budget making plans to have a meal at the resorts is a great idea. There are so many wonderful places to eat at the resorts that get over looked because everyone is focused on the parks.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is that the guards at the entrance will issue you a *temporary* parking pass. If memory serves, I think they are 2-3 hours limit.
    Having said that, we have probably stayed longer than that and didn't experience any problems. I think as long as such an arrangement is not abused, we will all be able to do this. However, if it becomes an excuse to park close to a park, etc., they could simply discontinue the privilege.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

manutd1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MCeee View Post
    My experience is that the guards at the entrance will issue you a *temporary* parking pass. If memory serves, I think they are 2-3 hours limit.
    Having said that, we have probably stayed longer than that and didn't experience any problems. I think as long as such an arrangement is not abused, we will all be able to do this. However, if it becomes an excuse to park close to a park, etc., they could simply discontinue the privilege.
    i agree..

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to add that Resort hopping is a LOT of fun... we've done it many times. And having your own car to do so makes it much easier and much less time consuming.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it is technically allowed, but if you time it right, you can get there for marshmallow roasting. There are also movies at night on the beach. I think Ft Wilderness has the best marshmallow roasting experience - for a few bucks, you can actually do s'mores (other resorts do only marshmallows but it is free!).

I think some of these have playgrounds too - always good for thse age ranges.

You can even bring sand toys and play on the beach at Grand Fla! You can also see ducks jumping into the pools here. very fun!

For extra fun, get a list of Hidden Mickeys and search for those! (you can print lists online).

Buy a cupcake at each resort, take back to your rented hosue and then eat one each day....a little Disney each day, even if you aren't there!

Pressed pennies are great!! My kids love this.

Ft Wildnerness also has free pony rides!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

another one! if your older kids like collecting, all the transportation drivers carry little collector cards to hand out.

I have found that you have to ask for them but they usually have them in their pockets.

My son loved to collect them! there are several bus versions (differentiated by characters/colors I think), each monorail color has one, each boat has one!

All of the Transportation is free...and so are the cards!
    Carolyn & Nikki - Two sisters whose first visit was the day before the Magic began...and have been hooked ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    What started for us as just a morning at DTD ended up being almost a full day of resort hopping. We combined busses, boats, monorails and walking into a fun free Disney day.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. You could make a full day of it doing it this way!!

Also, as to 3 hour limit parking at resorts, I believe this to be the policy also but have never seen a tow truck on property anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there in January they said parking was full at almost all deluxe resorts when we tried. They said they were only letting people in who didn't have an ADR. We drove in to turn around and saw plenty of spots... Not so sure why they were turning people away from resorts the 2nd week of January.
    #rundisney

Marathon Weekend Half Marathon: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015

Next Trip: Wine and Dine Half Marathon-November 2015 (trip 24)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: