We just got back from Disneyland (first time in about 25 years), and we enjoyed Galaxy's Edge. However, I felt like it needed more.

Smuggler's Run was fun. The queue is underwhelming, but once you get in to the pre-show and staging areas, it is amazing. Loved seeing the hologram chess board and the inside of the Falcon. Entering the cockpit is amazing. The first time I was an engineer, and the second time I was a pilot. There was a lot of laughing and screaming going on, that's for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

It doesn't bother me that the land is based on the newer movies. I know that most of us grew up on the original trilogy, but the new trilogy is what is current. And, regardless of how you feel about the new trilogy, why would they go back to old Stormtroopers? Darth Vader (who is dead)? Older ships, when they have updated ones? Harry Potter world feels like Harry Potter world, because, well, there is no "newer" Harry Potter world. Even the new movies in the Harry Potter universe are essentially prequels, so it's not an updated franchise. Star Wars is an updated franchise.

Now, in a perfect world, I would have loved to have seen Disney build an 5th gate that is just Star Wars. And they could have different parts to the park representing the three trilogies, so you could immerse yourself wherever you would like. But that hasn't happened, so this is what we have.

Anyway, we walked around, tried the blue and green milk, ate lunch at a quick service place, wandered through the stores, etc. We also built lightsabers at Savi's Workshop. You cannot enter the workshop to watch the process unless you or someone in your party is building one. And each builder can only have two guests. At the Droid Factory, anyone can go watch, but not with Savi's.

The lightsaber is pretty well constructed. Cast metal parts around a stock lightsaber core that contains the electronics. You choose your kyber crystal, which dictates how it sounds and the color of your blade. You can choose from blue, green, red, or violet. In a shop somewhere else in Galaxy's Edge, you can buy more crystals, including yellow and white. My wife, son, and I each built a saber. I chose a violet crystal, and they each chose blue. But later, my son and I went and bought the other four crystals, so we now have them all. There must be RFID chips in the crystals so that the reader in the saber knows what color and sound effects to use.

Anyway, we did really enjoy the new land, and went back three times over three days. It'll be better when they get some new attractions open, however.