Quantcast Avatar Land - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar Land

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Just a slight aside.......

Avatar must be more popular than a lot of people think, as I have just seen that Cirque du Soleil has teamed with Cameron to create a new traveling Cirque show based on the movie(s)........

From the article..
    Avatar is more popular than you are led to believe on WDW fan sites... The only people trying to discount the popularity are WDW fans who didn't like the movie themselves and don't want it in the theme parks... Of course, when you look at their arguments, you have to laugh at how desperate they sound trying to prove no one likes or liked the movie...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved the movie... looking forward to the sequels (as much as sequels ever are good)... and also eventually Avatar-Land.

It will be all about the visuals. Particularly in the evening and at night. Imagine!!!!!!!

And above it all... the floating mountains!

Can't wait.

best,

................john

Post Thanks / Like

Default loved movie

I also loved the movie. I think it has real potential in WDW.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Most of WDW's iconic attractions are not based on movies...POTC, HM, SM, BTMRR, IASW, Soaring, Test Track, etc. had no predecessor movie to make them popular....so I see no reason why the attractions can't be popular just on their own merits.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    so I see no reason why the attractions can't be popular just on their own merits.
    That's kind of where I am on this. I was pretty "meh" about the movie and didn't see what all the fuss was about, but I am excited about the potential for what's coming to DAK. Regardless of the movie I think it has potential to be a great addition to DAK.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    Most of WDW's iconic attractions are not based on movies...POTC, HM, SM, BTMRR, IASW, Soaring, Test Track, etc. had no predecessor movie to make them popular....so I see no reason why the attractions can't be popular just on their own merits.
    Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Mine Train, Pooh, Festival of the Lion King, Nemo Musical, Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story Midway Mania, Beauty and the Beast, Tower of Terror...

Look at "the other" two parks down the street...

It's 50/50. Attractions can be popular on their own, or based on attractions.

Post Thanks / Like

Built a great attraction, and IP matters not...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved Avatar once I finally saw it. I did not see it in the theater as I was luke warm on the concept. I cant wait to see the new area in AK. AK is at most a 1/2 park for my family. Pretty much it's a walk to "Dinosaur," one ride on "Expedition Everest" and "It's Tough to be a Bug" on our way out.

Has everyone seen this video? Probably but just in case they havent and it is topical!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen it. Just have never been interested for some reason. But I agree with the comments that what really matters is what they do with it in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbuddy View Post
    HI Everybody,

I think Disney is making a major blunder on this one:

Avatar was not that great of a movie.
    It came out years ago.
    It was a violent movie.
    It didn't have widespread appeal (Like ET for example)
    Everyone I discussed this with had an attitude of "meh"...Not that excited.

Would Beastly Kingdom have been a better choice ?
    wromg wrong wrong.

It's the #1 biggest grossing movie ever... was very very popular... and James Cameron is making two more Avatar movies scheduled for release in 2017 and 2018 Vilolent is not quite correct... It was more of a love story... IMO
    I Can't Imagine A Day Without Disney!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan47 View Post
    wromg wrong wrong.

It's the #1 biggest grossing movie ever... was very very popular... and James Cameron is making two more Avatar movies scheduled for release in 2017 and 2018 Vilolent is not quite correct... It was more of a love story... IMO
    It also has a serious environmental message.

I thought the movie was beautiful - saw it in 3D
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGiant View Post
    It also has a serious environmental message.

I thought the movie was beautiful - saw it in 3D
    Ditto on that.. it was amazing!! can't wait for 2 and 3 to come out and Avatar Land at Disney
    I Can't Imagine A Day Without Disney!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Avatar, I saw it on Blu-Ray at home. I don't think it was as amazing as everyone made it out to be. I think the reason it is the highest grossing movie is because of the 3D aspect. It was one of the first movies to do 3D to that scale and everyone was talking about the 3D. I know atleast everyone I talked to said "Have you seen Avatar? The 3D is amazing!!" Also they were charging more for the 3D screenings which helps with the gross profit.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan47 View Post
    wromg wrong wrong.

Actually, there will be 3 sequels, starting in December 2016....See quote below.....

The release of the next Avatar movie will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later.
    I think the timing of AvatarLand/Pandora/whatever the final name will be is just about perfect.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    (They ALL think that--Shrek thought they'd have five, and the 90's Godzilla thought it would be a trilogy... )

According to Cameron, he's been referring at conventions to "Pandora: the Land of Avatar".
    (You'll notice the movie itself gets second billing.)
    Please. The Avatar sequels ARE happening. As long as James Cameron is alive, they will happen.

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope that Disney has not drastically overestimated the draw of Avatar.

Yes, it is the #1 movie, but how much of that was because it was more of a 3d effects demo? A cool spectacle that everyone had to see. Once. After I saw it in the theater I never had the desire to see it again.

On the positive side, it does seem to be a good fit. It is all about Eco-friendly (a friend of mine called it "Ferngully in Space") and lots of cool alien plant and wildlife to fabricate. I have no doubt that this part of the park will be high on the "spectacle" meter.

I also expect AvatarLand to be a very good place to visit at night. I bet we see lots of cool lighting and environment effects after dark. Disney would love to pull visitors to AC after dark (which we've already seen happening with Harambe) and for people to start considering AC an all-day park. This will do it.

It wouldn't be my pick of themes, and I don't think it was really a counter to "Harry Potter," but I'll still go see it.

Post Thanks / Like

I for one am excited about Avatarland. I hope that the imagineers can work with James Cameron to develop concepts that will be in the films sequels in addition to what we have seen with ideas from the first film.

RE Star Wars, I would suggest a major expansion be done at Hollywood Studios to include a Star Wars theme land. A fifth park is not merited. This would allow imagineers to expand on what is already there, keeping costs down, meeting fan demands, and driving more to Hollywood Studios. Not to mention providing a major competition to Universal.
    2014 POR Alligator Bayou & Beach Club.
    1978-2007 Several Visits off Property.

"Come to the Tiki Room...No one ever takes a Siesta"

"Parents hold your kids by the hair and we're clear"

"I am happy to see they brought back Orange Bird!!"

Post Thanks / Like

But... do they have room for both Star Wars Land and Cars Land at DHS?

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts exactly...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wellsm View Post

Yes, it is the #1 movie, but how much of that was because it was more of a 3d effects demo? A cool spectacle that everyone had to see. Once. After I saw it in the theater I never had the desire to see it again.

On the positive side, it does seem to be a good fit. It is all about Eco-friendly (a friend of mine called it "Ferngully in Space") and lots of cool alien plant and wildlife to fabricate. I have no doubt that this part of the park will be high on the "spectacle" meter.

I also expect AvatarLand to be a very good place to visit at night. I bet we see lots of cool lighting and environment effects after dark. Disney would love to pull visitors to AC after dark (which we've already seen happening with Harambe) and for people to start considering AC an all-day park. This will do it.

It wouldn't be my pick of themes, and I don't think it was really a counter to "Harry Potter," but I'll still go see it.
    In my opinion, it does not appear to be as much about the movie as it is about the experience.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: