Quantcast Driving from MA to SC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Driving from MA to SC

We are going Columbia SC area in April. It looks like it will be 2 days of driving. This will be my first time driving this area. It will be my son (13) and myself. Thinking Dumpries VA would a half way point to spend the night. Any advice of places to stop along the way for food, gas, or just stretch out. Any places to avoid stopping in. Thank you

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What route are you taking?
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

95 south will be the main route. Maybe different routes near NYC and DC to avoid traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not looking for anything in particular, my best advice is to get off at an exit that has many options for food, gas, etc. The more options the better, and those exits tend to have the places right off the exit. In case you're not aware, almost every exit that has these facilities, have blue signs about a mile or so before the exit that lists what's available.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't already have one purchase a good GPS. Ours is a garmin and you just press a few buttons and it will tell you the nearest gas stations, restaurants and hotels among other things. They also are great to have in case construction or accidents take you off of your planned route.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terri, I did similar drive from CT to Elon, NC a few months ago with my DS for a college visit. We mostly travelled on 95. My advice would be - consider joining AAA if you aren't already a member (great peace of mind with roadside assistance, towing, etc.); estimate where you will be during rush hours and avoid the congested spots like the GW bridge, and DC if possible during those times. (we of course, joined the DC workers on their way home, just days after the shutdown ended!).

I used Trip Advisor before hand to identify a couple of potential good (well populated) stopping points mid-way, and read the guest reviews beforehand. There were some surprisingly very booked areas so I'm glad I reserved rooms in advance. We stayed just outside of Richmond on the way down, and made it back up to the Baltimore area on the return. Fredericksburg, VA might be a good consideration - it's is just a bit past Dumfries, and I recall it has many hotels and restaurants very near to the highway (route 3 exit).

Given that it's the two of you, I'd opt for driving during daylight hours, researching and pre-reserving hotels (you can always cancel by 6 if you needed to) and having AAA for some added peace of mind.

Sounds like a beautiful time of year to head south - ahhhh!
    Coming Up !! BLT April 2014
    BCV - 4/12, 4/09, 4/08, 4/07, 4/04
    BLT - 4/11, 4/13
    YC - 4/10
    Pop - 4/05, 12/05
    And in between: WL, VWL, AKL, GF, BW, Poly

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: