Quantcast Best advice for keeping legs/feet/back from aching? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I like to take breaks every so often at the Parks to give my body a break, either watch a show or just sit somewhere and people watch. It's crazy to think how long we are on our feet on a Disney trip, not just walking but all the time standing in lines. We also like to break up our trip and not do a Park everyday. We like to have a day or 2 where we can just relax and not have to do anything.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I know I like to take breaks every so often at the Parks to give my body a break, either watch a show or just sit somewhere and people watch. It's crazy to think how long we are on our feet on a Disney trip, not just walking but all the time standing in lines. We also like to break up our trip and not do a Park everyday. We like to have a day or 2 where we can just relax and not have to do anything.
    At my first trip to the podiatrist some 5 years ago, she told me there are two travel destinations that are far and away the most brutal on the feet. The first is New York City, and not surpisingly the second is Walt Disney World. Stretching and insoles can go a long way toward alleviating aches and pains, not just in your feet but legs, knees, back, etc....
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of it too is besides doing so much walking, its all on pavement which is very unforgiving. After doing marching band for a number of years and marching on pavement from 8am-10pm, even good shoes don't always cut it completely. I'd suggest, as others have, to start walking now to get ready and I always take Aleve/pain medication of choice at a low dose around the clock and preemptively before I feel the pain. If your shins hurt (shin splints), every time you're sitting down and think about it, cross your legs and trace the alphabet lower case and upper case twice through in the air with your toe. Sounds silly, but really helps!!!
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, if you don't have any underlying health issues, the best preparation is to start walk, walk, walking now. That and an OTC anti-inflammatory (with food) if you still get sore.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

one thing i did once, was about two weeks before going, i took a few laps around the job parking lot during my lunch break. Not running, just a steady brisk walk as if I was trying to get somewhere, or say, as I would at WDW. Getting my body used to walking a bit more made the long days at WDW easier. I would guess pixie dust helped w the rest.

Seriously though, you couldn't imagine what a minor thing like a little quick walk every day will do for you...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

After several trips to DW and trying several different things to help with aches and pains in my feet, knees, and lower back here's what works for me.

1. I have at least 2 pair of good running or cross-training shoes that are broken in before we go to DW. (I mostly wear this type of shoes all year round). I make sure they are two different brands/styles so that they each have a slightly different fit. I don't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. That way I'm not putting pressure on the exact same spots in my feet every day. I also take a good pair of Ecco or Teva sandals to wear around the resort in the evenings but I never wear them to the parks -- not enough support in them to keep my feet and back happy with the amount of walking we do in the parks.

2. I try to take a break and do something that allows me to be off my feet for at least 15 minutes every 2 hours or so. A show, a long ride (Ellen's Energy Adventure comes to mind), or a leisurely meal usually do the trick.

3. Every night at DW, before going to bed I massage my feet with peppermint foot lotion and then roll a tennis ball under each foot for a few minutes -- it really helps to stretch out the muscles in my feet. (I put the tennis ball on the floor and place my foot on top of it. I put a little bit of pressure on the tennis ball with my foot and start to roll the ball around a little bit. Kind of like a primitive massager. ).

4. I take Aleve around the clock from the day we arrive -- before we even get to the resort. It's much easier to prevent the aches and pains from starting than to get rid of them.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in my 50's. I found out that I must walk around the neighborhood to build up my endurance prior to going to Disney, Since I don't normally go for walks, the first couple of trips around the block are tough but after that, I quickly get into Disney shape. Light walking shoes help. No flip flops or sandles for me.
    Keneva

---------------------------------
    WDW
    Aug 2022 CR Wing
    Aug 2014 BC & GF Club
    Aug 2012 Swan & Grand Floridian Club
    Aug 2010 Poly LVC
    Aug 2008 Poly LVC
    Aug 2006 CR Club
    Jan 2001 Poly LVC (Honeymoon)
    Oct 1995 Off-site

DL
    1967-69 Several Visits (Green Lantern Motel?)

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of advice to all Ibuprofen users out there (and I am one) - it can actually be counterproductive to take it for sore and achy feet as it can cause swelling in the legs and feet. It doesn't always but if you are experiencing these problems in addition to pain, it could be the ibuprofen.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Has anybody tried those Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotics they have at Walmart where you stand on their machine then it gives you a number of the Orthotic you should use and there suppose to relieve feet, leg, and back pain. They are a little pricey, like $50 but if they work it may be worth it.
    I have this knee/ankle,calf thing going on in my right leg which causes extreme pain in my right leg only when walking. Aerobics and classes I take at the Y don't bother it but something about walking on pavement flares it right up. After having Xrays/MRI's and ruling out just about everything I bought a pair of the Fit Orthotics. They seem to be working. First thing in a while that I've gotten comfort from.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Also try replacing caffeinated beverage and sugary drinks with plain water (not water with added Crystal Light packets). Caffeine is a diuretic, which causes you to pee a lot, which then causes dehydration, which makes muscles ache. Same with all the chemicals in diet soda and Crystal Light. Plain old water, and lots of it, will help your joints.

That, plus building up to walking long distance and at least two pairs of really good walking shoes that you already broke in (I prefer one pair of sneakers and one pair of athletic sandals that have support and alternating). Stay away from flip-flops and sneakers with no support like Converse. Also making sure your shoes fit properly and your socks are thick.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of water, lots of shows, good shoes! They've all named them, I think!

We went to Six Flags the other day and I was SO sore by the end of it! I kept asking DBF how I can go and go at WDW and never get tired, but one day at Six Flags and I felt like I was 80! It wasn't until he pointed it out that I realized how often we do shows, indoor rides, and long rides. These things give you a nice break, so use them frequently to ease your joints!
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I second the alternating shoes thing--works for me. Good running shoes are what I use. I also loove the Disney footlets (below ankle socks), and usually buy new ones when I get there! They're so thick and soft--the best! And they last forever! I wear them all the time at home, too!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas for lower backache? I wore comfy shoes on our trip last year and walk to and from work - approx. 20 mins - 6 days a week but lower back and thighs killing me from slightly bent over position pushing hubby in wheelchair. First time using chair too so new experience for both of us. Painful for about 2 weeks after I got back too!! Completely unrelated - how do I do a new thread?? Can't seem to find a button to click to start new thread. I know - I'm computer illiterate. many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merciantinkerbell View Post
    Any ideas for lower backache? I wore comfy shoes on our trip last year and walk to and from work - approx. 20 mins - 6 days a week but lower back and thighs killing me from slightly bent over position pushing hubby in wheelchair. First time using chair too so new experience for both of us. Painful for about 2 weeks after I got back too!! Completely unrelated - how do I do a new thread?? Can't seem to find a button to click to start new thread. I know - I'm computer illiterate. many thanks
    For your aching back, can you DH pilot a scooter? There are several places that will deliver to your hotel that way he can have it for the whole trip. Also try the "Guests with special needs" form you should find a lot of information there. Also use the search engine at top of page to look for information and related threads.
    How to start a new thread. Go to the form where you want to post it. Then look near the top right above the names of the threads. You should see a button that says new topic. Click on it. Its pretty simple after that, be sure to give you topic a title. Enter your questions/comments then click the submit button near the bottom. Have fun
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I'd also consider the ECV option. our trip in September ended up so miserable for me that I didn't really enjoy the last few days, and after getting home realized how much I had missed. In my case it was all because of my weight, so I was too embarassed to rent a scooter (and I'm not afraid to say that, now that I'm down 50 pounds!) but MAN I wish I'd done it differently. My back and legs were fine, but I got such incredible blisters that it took my feet a couple weeks back home before I could walk properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mrs Bus Driver for new post help. Feel so silly As to Hubby, he's not wheelchair bound but suffers badly with fibromyalgia amongst other things and can't walk more than a few feet at a time. It took me a long time to get him to hire a chair at Universal during our second week in 2010 because he doesn't like to be seen as disabled. However he did the see the benefit - mostly less pain for him and less stress for me - to buy his own chair for last years trip, and that made it much more enjoyable for us both. He would NOT rent a scooter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Among what others have said I will also add, do NOT ride Space Mountain. Holy molly the number that thing does on my back...
    And shoulders too!
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: