Quantcast Need Help Choosing between Beach Club or Art of Animation

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Choosing between Beach Club or Art of Animation

Hi everyone,

I need help making a decision for a resort for my upcoming WDW trip in January . We (Me, my DW, 3 DSs (16, 14, 3) and DD (7)) are driving from Miami to WDW, staying 1 night/2 Days, and then driving back to New York on the second night (I know it's not much time ).

As you can see from the title, I am trying to choose between the Beach Club or the Art of Animation.

My reasons why/why not for each

Beach Club is right across from Epcot and it will cost $195, we would have to squeeze a little (we are bringing an air bed with us)

Art of Animation will fit us Comfortably without squeezing in and it will cost $140

Of course, saving money would be nice and I would love to try the DAAR, I think my little ones would love the theming. But, BC is so close to Epcot, since we have so little time there, that would be a plus too.

Just a note, my older kids don't want to go to BC because they know we wont have time to use Stormalong Bay.

I hope someone here on the Intercot can help with opinions as you always have .

Thanks

Nathan
    6/97-Off Site, 12/97-BWV, 6/98-OKW, 9/00-Swan, 5/01-PO Riverside, 8/02-Poly, 1/04-Contemp, 1/04-YC, 5/04-PO-FQ, 1/05-AKL, 6/05-YC, 1/06-PC, 6/06-BWI, 1/07-Saratoga Springs, 6/07-FW Cabin, 1/08-FW Cabin, 6/08-WL, 1/09-AKLV, 6/09-CBR, 1/10-BLT, 1/11 - GF, 1/12 - DAY TRIP, 5/15 - AoA

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For you I would choose Beach Club because I think it would be more appealing to adults, but for the kids I would go with Art of Animation...so Art of Animation it is

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Are you choosing the suite option at the Beach Club?

Just some info from a site:
    Beach Club Resort

Standard rooms can accommodate five people, plus one child under age three in a crib.
    A limited number of Suites are available. Suites have a four-to-six-person occupancy per suite, depending on the type of suite.
    Thought I would share that info in case you were not aware and Beach Club may not be an option for you.

If you are not utilizing the pool, and just there for the proximity to Epcot, have you checked pricing at Boardwalk as well? But, you may run into the occupancy limit with Boardwalk as well seeing it is the same limitations as Beach Club.
    Last edited by TinkerbellT421; 10-23-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

This is comparing apples to oranges. Of course the answer would be Beach Club. However, you have more people than occupancy allows for a single room.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the Beach Club when we stayed there, I honestly wouldn't want to stay anywhere else again. But my DD (7) loves Ariel so we will probably be staying at Art of Animation next time. I also hear that A of A has its own Animation Academy, which is my favorite thing at HS and would be reason enough for me to stay there!
    Kayla
    January 2008 POP
    December 2011 Beach Club for 2 weeks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Your family will not be permitted to book only one room at BC.

For your group size, AoA is more appropriate. But, only $140? Is that for a suite? Is that a discounted rate or something? Or, is that for 2 standard rooms there?

All things equal, BC wins over AoA anytime. But, for just one night, I'd go with the cheapest option that will accommodate your group size.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We love the beach club for sure but....as another poster said I don't think they can accommodate your whole family unless you are going to get something other than a studio.
    Art of animation will fit you all comfortably and the theming is adorable. I recommend the finding Nemo section, as it has the best pool and it is closest to the main dining area.

Have fun
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I am out of touch with Jan. pricing, but neither of those prices sound right to me. Really???? 140 for a family suite at AOA? And under $200 for BC??? What kind of discount does OP have?

Everything aside I would always pick BC over AOA. It's just a better resort, with a better location. As cute as AOA is it's (usually) just way overpriced for a value resort. My youngest son would like to stay there one day, but I've already told him it'll likely be for a night or two before a longer stay at a different resort. I just can't see spending that much money for a value resort, suite or not!

As has already been pointed out your family of 6 will not fit into one room at BC. Even if you can "squeeze" everyone in you would be breaking occupancy rules. I would recheck that price at AOA and if it's really just $140 a night for a family suite that would sleep all 6 of you, then I'd go with that. Good luck!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Just to confirm, if my 3 year old were in a crib then a regular room at BC would work for us.
    6/97-Off Site, 12/97-BWV, 6/98-OKW, 9/00-Swan, 5/01-PO Riverside, 8/02-Poly, 1/04-Contemp, 1/04-YC, 5/04-PO-FQ, 1/05-AKL, 6/05-YC, 1/06-PC, 6/06-BWI, 1/07-Saratoga Springs, 6/07-FW Cabin, 1/08-FW Cabin, 6/08-WL, 1/09-AKLV, 6/09-CBR, 1/10-BLT, 1/11 - GF, 1/12 - DAY TRIP, 5/15 - AoA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butchiem1 View Post
    Just to confirm, if my 3 year old were in a crib then a regular room at BC would work for us.
    Unfortunately if a child is 3 they count as a person regardless of their size so you would be a party of 6.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butchiem1 View Post
    Disney doesn't count kids UNDER 3 if they are in a pack and play. Since your child is 3 and will need a park ticket, he also counts towards the room occupancy.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Perhaps I am out of touch with Jan. pricing, but neither of those prices sound right to me. Really???? 140 for a family suite at AOA? And under $200 for BC??? What kind of discount does OP have?
    Ok, curiosity got the best of me. Apparently if you have a 50% discount then you could stay in a family suite at AoA for around $142 or in a standard room at BC for around $197 in January! I wish I could travel in January! Of course I never see 50% off discounts these days, unless we are talking a CM discount.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

What prevents someone from reserving a room at say BC for "5" but then having 6 in the room? I realize the number of park tickets would give it away if you bought a package, but how would the BC know if it was a "resort only" reservation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJSforVols View Post
    What prevents someone from reserving a room at say BC for "5" but then having 6 in the room? I realize the number of park tickets would give it away if you bought a package, but how would the BC know if it was a "resort only" reservation?
    These are fire codes as well that are state and or national law that state so many people are not allowed in certain size rooms in any hotel/motel. It becomes a fire safety issue for both the hotel and your family.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJSforVols View Post
    Well, at Beach Club, for one, EVERYONE who wants to enter the pool complex at the gate needs to show a room key to get a wristband. If you fudge your occupancy, someone will get left out.

Also, parks that do EMH require EVERYONE to show their room key to take part. Again...no room key, no EMH perk.

If you are using DME, you have to include EVERYONE in the reservation, or you won't get enough vouchers to get on the bus at the airport or to return back.

Finally, that's the rule. As a guest of WDW, you agree to follow their rules. The occupancy rules are stated for each room type on property. It is your moral and legal obligation to abide by those rules. If not, and you get caught, Disney can do one of two things:

1. Make you pay for an additional room.
    2. Kick you out of the resort/off property.

They reserve the right to do either of those things.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    These are fire codes as well that are state and or national law that state so many people are not allowed in certain size rooms in any hotel/motel. It becomes a fire safety issue for both the hotel and your family.
    I understand the reasoning and fire codes. (Trust me, I understand fire codes more than most would want to understand them.)

My question is how would the BC enforce/control a sixth person in the room if the reservation was a "room only" reservation? I have no intentions of doing this because we typically by a package rather than room only, but I don't see how they could prevent it very easy just as a holiday inn can't really control how many cram into a room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Well, at Beach Club, for one, EVERYONE who wants to enter the pool complex at the gate needs to show a room key to get a wristband. If you fudge your occupancy, someone will get left out.

Also, parks that do EMH require EVERYONE to show their room key to take part. Again...no room key, no EMH perk.

If you are using DME, you have to include EVERYONE in the reservation, or you won't get enough vouchers to get on the bus at the airport or to return back.

Finally, that's the rule. As a guest of WDW, you agree to follow their rules. The occupancy rules are stated for each room type on property. It is your moral and legal obligation to abide by those rules. If not, and you get caught, Disney can do one of two things:

1. Make you pay for an additional room.
    2. Kick you out of the resort/off property.

They reserve the right to do either of those things.
    That's not entirely true regarding the wristband for pool access. It may be enforced more during the busy season, but we just returned from the BC and were there for 9 days. We used the pool many times but only had to show our room key one day. (It was on a weekend when they had people checking room keys.)

I hear you on the last paragraph and agree. One of the reasons we stayed at the BC was due to our family being 5 persons. We probably would have chose the Wilderness lodge if it had capacity for 5. With that said, it sounds as if it's sort of like a speed limit. If you get caught, you can get in trouble; but there's not a big risk of getting caught.

Post Thanks / Like

Never stayed at AoA and assuming its similar to a value resort, I chose Beach Club. I love the Beach Club.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member