Quantcast Beer and wine to be served at Be Our Guest - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    Because at the time that original concept art came out; it did cause a stir on the internet about that looking like beer mugs on the waitress' tray. It still does look like beer on the tray.
    But it caused a stir because the picture looked like beer? Not because the product being served to children looks like beer? That's the stir I haven't heard but would expect. Like back when I was a kid and there was a big deal being made of candy cigarettes. I just expected there would be some outcry, more than there is over selling a product intended for adults to adults. But it's a big policy change for MK and I do understand the concern that it might lead to more alcohol sales in other areas of the MK.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to take a step back... If you combine the days spent at DW by every poster on this thread I would think its safe to assume we have a large sample size. That being said there has only been one example given of "over the top" drinking.

I'm pretty sure if this thread is ressirected in a year from now everyone will agree this change did not have any impact on their MK experience.

Also one more side note, drinking around the world is a unique experience like going to get a variety custom brew pack, I do not think this will ever happen at MK even if ther were beer carts. We do not see drinking around the continents at AK or drinking to the stars at HS.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    But back in the real world, it's nice to see adults being treated like adults.
    I am still on the fence about this. But all in all, BoG TS from day one, when you look at the menu, has been geared for adults. There is another on going discussion about that topic.

Since that is the case, it only makes sense to offer alcohol at BoG. As adults we are the only ones to make sure we are responsible.

Like Quadstriker stated, its nice to see Disney treating Adults like Adults, and maybe this idea will carry over to other TS restaurants like Narcoosee's and Artist Points, etc. and give us adults some nice children free meals.
    Brer_Fox

Disney Trips
    1988-2000 - 3 Trips Off Property

Oct 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
    Oct/Nov2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    Oct/Nov2008 - Wilderness Lodge/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct/Nov 2012 - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for allowing alcohol to be served at MK table service restaurants only. Keep it only beer and wine.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

For the poster who mentioned the young lady who at Epcot. Well, that was me once, but I was NOT drunk. It was day 1 of a very bad stomach bug that plagued me for the next 3 days of my trip. Sometimes, you gotta and the bushes at Epcot are the best option. Just because you see someone getting sick does NOT mean that person is drunk. Furthermore, even IF that person is drunk, is and I can't understand why a child would be traumatized by seeing that.
    I've done the same thing, I wasn't drunk, but it was day 1 of a stomach bug that i had NO IDEA i was getting, I told my wife i didnt feel good so we were going to run back to our hotel for a few, so we decided to catch one of the boats to take us back to future world. I didnt make it to boat, i hit the bushes, there was nothing i could do.

So as this poster stated, just because someone is puking in the park, it doesnt mean they are drunk.

Come to think of it, I think ive only seen a small group of people drunk at EPCOT one time, on Canada day there were a few Canadians celebrating and had a few too many. They werent rude or anything like that, they were just a little loud and were happy.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

As a beer nerd I can guarantee that no one is going to down two Chimay Blues at dinner unless you are someone used to drinking that sort of beer or a Belgian. Those beers are pretty strong in flavor and will not appeal to the "drink to get drunk" crowd. They are beers that are to be savored and tasted like a very fine wine.

Alcoholic beverages need not be a drunken, besotted endeavor. Properly paired with food they are a taste experience, not a drunk experience. Having an expensive beer on hand doesn't necessarily make something not family friendly. It's what a person decides to do with it that can make it not family friendly. And odds are that person would do something not family friendly anyway.

What would Walt think? He'd hate it. But Walt's also been dead for nearly 50 years. He'd probably also hate that we're walking around his parks looking at our phone screens. Or calling each other in line.
    Gary (aka dpamac)
    President, INTERCOT

Have you booked Your Magical Journey yet?

INTERCOT featuring Capn' Tom's "Ballad of the Yeti (The Yeti is Down)" remembers a grander time, when the Yeti once stood tall on Everest and functioned as he should. Download your copy of this epic and sad tale today!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to debate.

Just want to "vote".

I don't like it. I just don't think it's necessary. Like a previous poster said - that restaurant is going to be jam packed with or without alcohol.

on a side note - Disney food is typically not very good. I'll be curious to "see" (taste) how the food measures up. If it is typicaly bad like most everywhere else (or at least mediocre), is wine and beer really necessary to compliment the meal if it's not good? Or will it just be to dull the senses into thinking it's good. :-P
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
    5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
    05/10 - POR & BC
    1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCRKTW459 View Post

on a side note - Disney food is typically not very good. I'll be curious to "see" (taste) how the food measures up. If it is typicaly bad like most everywhere else (or at least mediocre), is wine and beer really necessary to compliment the meal if it's not good? Or will it just be to dull the senses into thinking it's good. :-P
    That's debatable, ive had some bad meals, some ok meals, and some really good meals.

I thoroughly enjoyed Narcoossee's, Tuto, and the Yachtsman.

Tuto is on our must do list every time we go due to it not being a signature.

I actually think Disney received the feed back that for a signature restaurant their guests expect these offerings. I know I do.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpamac View Post
    What would Walt think? He'd hate it. But Walt's also been dead for nearly 50 years. He'd probably also hate that we're walking around his parks looking at our phone screens. Or calling each other in line.
    Fantastic comment, Gary. I completely agree. I'd even take it a step further: I argue that we don't know how Walt would react. All we know for certain is that Walt, an avid drinker, didn't allow alcohol in Disneyland. I have not seen any sort of quote attributed to him explaining that rationale, and without that piece of evidence, it's virtually impossible to say "what he would have wanted." Who's to say his mind wouldn't have changed with the times anyway?

Would Walt have complained about booze in EPCOT? How about in California Adventure? I don't know -- I'm all for tradition, but I think it's silly to base decisions off the supposed will of a dead man, particularly when we don't even know for certain what his will was!

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I see no problem with this and as long as the beer/wine offerings at MK stay within the boundaries of the upscale restaurants (I'd classify CRT here as well), it's not going to be an issue.
    I knew we'd find common ground on something, Nat. We should celebrate with a fancy Belgian beer sometime.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

One more observation.... Many people feel strongly about smoking and exposing children to that will "ruin" the innocence of DW....

But that is allowed in designated areas and for the most part is unnoticed unless your looking for it.
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm with Shart Bait (O ha ha)

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Wine/Beer with dinner is fine.

Wine/Beer stands throughout the park is not fine. I definitely do not want that to start.
    The cost may be prohibitive at the Magic Kingdom to start stands. I.D. checks, etc.

I've seen it on the cruises though... One guy with a beer stein in his hand going bar to bar... and this is a Disney cruise.

I personally don't like either beverage. But I'll have a fruity drink on the deck of the Dream/Magic/Wonder. DH and I enjoyed Saki (sp?) in Japan during Food and Wine festival when we did a trip without the kids. I can tell YOU I was not going on Mission Space after THAT. (I'm a lightweight)

I think the majority of the people who enjoy Disney as a whole are there for the experience... to remember, not to black out. I've seen nobody stumbling around the other parks, obviously drunk and drinks have been served there for years.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my feeling are that if Disney really controls the issue, there shouldn't be a problem, but I have seen an instance where they didn't and it was really really disappointing.

As far as folks who say that the cost alone will prevent this from happening, all I can say if I've seen too many instances of people at bars with credit cards who lose track...

In other words, I don't feel that all "adults" actually are "adults," and Disney needs to monitor this very very carefully.

By the way, yes, my wife and I drink....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a huge fight at Cosmic Ray's and that was without alcohol and just over a table. There are too many people out there who are just rude to begin with and then you add drinks. I am glad to see you can't leave the restaurant and its only at dinner but I can just see the fights over viewing spots for Spectro, Wishes etc.

Mostly, I just think you have way too many kids at MK vs the other parks and it does take away the nostalgia. Walt wanted a park for families that they could enjoy together.

The magic will sure be gone when we see someone stumbling through the arch of the castle with all their kids in tow, strollers etc.

I have to wonder if Universal offers real beer for Butterbeer at the Harry Potter World.

Thumbs down and this coming from a person that enjoys her drinks - I just take it over to the Rose & Crown.
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wiltsan View Post
    I saw a huge fight at Cosmic Ray's and that was without alcohol and just over a table. There are too many people out there who are just rude to begin with and then you add drinks. I am glad to see you can't leave the restaurant and its only at dinner but I can just see the fights over viewing spots for Spectro, Wishes etc.

Mostly, I just think you have way too many kids at MK vs the other parks and it does take away the nostalgia. Walt wanted a park for families that they could enjoy together.

The magic will sure be gone when we see someone stumbling through the arch of the castle with all their kids in tow, strollers etc.

I have to wonder if Universal offers real beer for Butterbeer at the Harry Potter World.

Thumbs down and this coming from a person that enjoys her drinks - I just take it over to the Rose & Crown.
    Universal does not offer real beer for Butterbeer... it is an original recipe created specifically for Universal and designed after the drink in the books and movies, which was not an alcoholic beverage...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best point that I have seen made in this thread (from Butters) is to ask how often has anyone seen someone stumbling drunk at a park that offers alcohol besides Epcot? I have seen more than a few posters complaining about witnessing alcohol-related incidents at World Showcase and at a resort, but I've never seen it talked about as an issue at AK or DHS, both of which serve alcohol.

Of course, people who drink excessively could be anywhere. There could be a drunk person in the MK now. People who have serious problems with alcohol are not confining their drinking to where it's easily available, and they're not passing sobriety tests to get into a park in the first place. Limiting the sale of alcohol isn't going to stop the people who have issues with alcohol control any more than selling alcohol is going to automatically create an atmosphere of drunken revelry and copious vomiting (which I still haven't seen anywhere at WDW, not even at World Showcase during the F & W festival).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCRKTW459 View Post
    Do you just get hamburgers from quick service your whole trip or go to places that are basically designed to have terrible food like Sci-Fi Diner?

There is an incredible amount of excellent fine dining restaurants at Disney World. Flying Fish, Narcoossees, Captain's Grille, Brown Derby, La Cellier, Cali Grill, etc. etc. etc.

But guess the one thing they ALL have in common? NONE of them are in the Magic Kingdom.

Every trip my wife and I think "Hey, why don't we ever eat in the Magic Kingdom?" then we look at the list of places to eat there and remember exactly why we don't. That's about to change. It's about time.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

I think with this type of dining experience, people will want a glass of wine with their meal, and if they don't offer it, maybe people will think twice about eating here once the novelty wears off. The only drawback is one leads leads to another, and before you know it, there will be alcohol in the park. Not all at once, and I could be wrong, but booze is good for profit margins.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you just get hamburgers from quick service your whole trip or go to places that are basically designed to have terrible food like Sci-Fi Diner?

There is an incredible amount of excellent fine dining restaurants at Disney World. Flying Fish, Narcoossees, Captain's Grille, Brown Derby, La Cellier, Cali Grill, etc. etc. etc.

But guess the one thing they ALL have in common? NONE of them are in the Magic Kingdom.

Every trip my wife and I think "Hey, why don't we ever eat in the Magic Kingdom?" then we look at the list of places to eat there and remember exactly why we don't. That's about to change. It's about time.
    Personally I hope this is just the start of it, I hope more places like this open in MK. The possibilities are endless.

I don't want beer stands and I dont want MK to turn into EPCOT and drinking around the world, I want more fine dining restaurants in MK, beer and wine is a part of that.

What could help EPCOT and the drinking "problems" many of you say it has? How about something like Pleasure Island, that would help.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Hear, hear! One of the main reasons I go to WDW is for the variety of excellent food. I guess I could have a poor palette, idk In any case, its a subjective evaluation and I can only state my opinion

DHS is also on my list of parks without good food as I'm not a Brown Derby fan. AK's only good restaurant is Yak & Yeti. We actually find it hard to schedule lunches in the respect that Epcot is chocked full of good places, with scant few elsewhere. While the resorts and their signature dining are awesome, they're not open for lunch. They're also not always convenient, but I am digressing way too much, lol

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: