Quantcast Evening Extra Magic Hours Cut by an Hour - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    You are going this year??? The change goes into effect January 2013... The times for this year have not been altered... and probably won't be since the calenders have been released for some time now...
    Yes... the changes go into effect in 2013, which is why they are reducing general Park Hours now and saying the changes go into place in 2013. So we'll reduce the Park closing by an hour and just tell them we are keeping the 3-hour EMH.....
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You are going this year??? The change goes into effect January 2013... The times for this year have not been altered... and probably won't be since the calenders have been released for some time now...
    I know it doesn't affect this trip but it will our future trips as we are night owls. Maybe the new fast pass system will be so efficient it will cut down queue times.
    Laura
    VMK: CL_MissAstroCat

Jan 1982-1992-OS • July 1993 - DL Paris • June 1995-ASM • Mar 1998-OS • Jan 2001-OS • Dec 2005- POFQ • Jan 2007- POFQ & Dolphin • Mar 2008- CB • Aug 2008 - Poly • Nov 2012 - POR • Nov 2014 - CSR&AKL • Mar 2015 - POFQ & HilBV • May 2015 - ASSp • Mar 2016 - CB & HilBV

Post Thanks / Like

We take total advantage of that last dead hour of EMH. Last summer we were at MK until 3am on 2 nights of our trip. I don't think cutting the on site benefits is a very good idea, it makes you feel unappreciated as a resort guest.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAN View Post
    Yes... the changes go into effect in 2013, which is why they are reducing general Park Hours now and saying the changes go into place in 2013. So we'll reduce the Park closing by an hour and just tell them we are keeping the 3-hour EMH.....
    Ah ok, I see what you are saying... I didn't realize they had cut hours this summer and for the rest of the year... I honestly don't pay much attention to their operating calendar if I am not planning on being down there...

Thanks for that bit of info because it actually ads to more evidence of what I have been saying for a while... they cut cut cut while jacking up prices... So, you continue to get less for the high prices you pay...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missastrocat View Post
    I know it doesn't affect this trip but it will our future trips as we are night owls. Maybe the new fast pass system will be so efficient it will cut down queue times.
    My mistake... I thought you meant this year... Sorry...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

As someone else mentioned, park hours do seem to be getting shorter all the time as well. I noticed some days the MK is closing at 8:00 when we will be there, but no party going on. We always take advantage of the evening 3 hours, so I am very disappointed. It is a nice break to be there when there are less crowds. I am always amazed at the cuts they make while increasing prices, then offering free dining to get people in. Makes no sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    As someone else mentioned, park hours do seem to be getting shorter all the time as well.
    Actually, regular park hours are bit longer than they used to be. Back in 2004, I wanted to go to WDW during Jan, but the MK closed at 6pm!! So we went the first week of Feb instead. Not January hours at MK go to 7pm and somtimes 8pm. So they've actually grown a bit since I first started going.

As far as EMH go, I've only done it twice: once at MK and once at AK. Both times, when the last hour was going on, the parks were virtually empty. I liked that fact because we could walk onto any ride we wanted with virtually no wait. However, hitting EMH twice in 6 trips and nearly 50 days in the parks says I really don't care that much about it. So.....
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

It's another example of Disney taking the cheap route. There's no way around that. Still, I guess it's hard to blame them this time. By all accounts, the last hour of the really late Extra Magic Hours, especially at the Magic Kingdom, is completely dead. I imagine it wasn't worth staffing the park if nobody was in it.

I'm not saying this this is right. I'm just saying that I get it.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I am very disappointed to hear about the change to EMH in the evening. We travel with four adults and two children. The daytime in the parks is all about the kids. As they are pretty young, they crash pretty early. Once the kids are asleep, two or three adults head back to the parks to ride all the big kid rides. The EMH allow us all to get what we want out of our vacation. It is a major perk of staying on property. I agree that losing services while paying more makes it more and more difficult to justify huge expenses despite our love of Disney!
    Always let your conscience be your guide.
    -Pinocchio

2014 - AoA
    2013 - AKV Kidani
    2012 - AoA
    2011 - ASM
    2010 - BLT
    2009 - OKW
    2008 - ASM
    2007 - Pop
    1986 - FW
    1985 - FW
    1984 - FW

Post Thanks / Like

No matter if you are there at the EMH it allows other guests to enjoy those time thus making the daytime hours more enjoyable for you. Just another reason we are debating buying into Disney or just continue renting the points from the people who have droped interest due to more cuts and increased prices.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

While it's disappointing to hear that they're cutting back yet again, I do agree that the last hour is pretty quiet. The only night we took advantage on this recent trip, the MK was clearing out pretty quickly at the 2 hr mark. I fully understand why they would want to cut back to save money. If not that many people are in the parks, why pay all those employees?
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    .. Back in 2004, I wanted to go to WDW during Jan, but the MK closed at 6pm!!...
    Are you sure there wasn't some sort of weird circumstance there? If you look at when sunset was in January 2004, it ranged from 5:40 PM to 6:04 PM. Were they really shooting off the fireworks for Wishes just 20 minutes after sunset or even before sunset? I know Disney has been steadily increasing hours over the past few years but I can't imagine they ever closed MK at 6 unless there was some sort of special event going on. Also, if you look at the internet archive on Intercot using the wayback machine I see some 7 PM closings, but not 6 PM.

I wonder if weak bookings are leading to the cutting hours or if it's purely cost-cutting? In addition, Disney has tended to add hours when things get closer so it will be interesting to see if any of those closing times get pushed back by an hour or so when the actual dates in 2013 start to roll around.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evening Extra Magic Hours Cut by an Hour

This cut back in hrs should help with some of the transportation issues related to the cutting back of monorail hrs...I'm just saying

Post Thanks / Like

Pay more, Get less. It's no different at Disney than in the rest of the world, so I'm not really surprised. But we are some of those few people who stay in the evening EMH parks until they run us out, and we really loved all the "walk-ons" on Space Mountain and other attractions in those last "deserted" hours. Too bad.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Pay more, Get less. It's no different at Disney than in the rest of the world, so I'm not really surprised. But we are some of those few people who stay in the evening EMH parks until they run us out, and we really loved all the "walk-ons" on Space Mountain and other attractions in those last "deserted" hours. Too bad.
    There is another resort just a few miles down I-4 that is giving a lot more... Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like

There is another resort just a few miles down I-4 that is giving a lot more... Just sayin...
    Yeah, we love going there too. I keep thinking Disney is going to have to do something really amazing to top some of Universal's new state of the art attractions, but so far, not yet.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

If the parks are so dead in that third EMH that you can just walk on any ride you want to, then how many people can this really effect? I'm not too upset by this change...in fact, I feel like this could be a really good thing. More time for maintenance and maybe a little extra money for hiring extra cast members in other areas. And yes, I fully expect a full-round of "But Disney isn't doing it for that, they're doing it to increase profits." If we don't see any improvement in the park over the next 5 years, then I'll jump on that bandwagon.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 'eh' on this change personally. Doesn't effect us too much. DBF and I were talking about it this morning. We are usually so exhausted by that time anyway that we are out and gone within the first hour of EMH if we even go to the park that has EMH. Last year we were at Epcot one night and after Illuminations we realized there were EMH and we were like Oh okay cool lol we didn't even know until we overheard someone talking about it, and even then we stayed about an extra half hour or so and then bailed. But I can see how some people will be upset if they plan on EMH during their trips.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of hours? UO closes everyday at 9 PM during July with no extra hours in the evening, Every park at WDW with the exception of AK is open to 9 PM or later and some open later than that for EMH

My guess is that they found out that the later it got the worse guest behavior got, the less time for maintenance which we've all complained about and that the parks weren't all that crowded at the time. And obviously it's a dollars and cents move. I personally don't like it but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Are you sure there wasn't some sort of weird circumstance there? If you look at when sunset was in January 2004, it ranged from 5:40 PM to 6:04 PM. Were they really shooting off the fireworks for Wishes just 20 minutes after sunset or even before sunset? I know Disney has been steadily increasing hours over the past few years but I can't imagine they ever closed MK at 6 unless there was some sort of special event going on. Also, if you look at the internet archive on Intercot using the wayback machine I see some 7 PM closings, but not 6 PM.

I wonder if weak bookings are leading to the cutting hours or if it's purely cost-cutting? In addition, Disney has tended to add hours when things get closer so it will be interesting to see if any of those closing times get pushed back by an hour or so when the actual dates in 2013 start to roll around.
    We went a few months after 9/11, In January 2002. The MK was closing during the week at 6 and 7 p.m. There were no EMH hours then, and the week we were there, there was no nighttime parade. Crowds then were much, much lower than they are now.

Re: the EMH change, I'm not really worked up about it. Park hours have fluctuated for at least the last 20 years. Evening extra magic hours are not all that old -- they used to have early entry in the mornings, but evening EMH hours only started about six or seven years ago. I still think of it as a nice perk, even if it's two hours instead of three.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: