Quantcast Epcot 30th Celebration att WDW - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

EPCOT's 25th five years ago was basically thrown together in about two months after "fans" complained" that the park milestone wasn't being celebrated at all by Disney itself. They hastily got Marty Sklar to make an appearance; threw together the "EPCOT Through the Years" display thing in Innoventions West; and threw together a film about Imagineering and how EPCOT came to be. :-\ It was kinda...sad, actually. I'm thinking this "30th Anniversary" thing will be in the old Millennium Village show building between Canada and UK in World Showcase.

*Sigh*....like has been said, Disney will keep on gettin' the $$$ out of guests as long as they keep paying for it. Personally...I don't like the idea of having to pay "extra" for a park's anniversary celebration. Someone asked how long the "Year of a Million Dreams" lasted...that one was actually two years (2008/9). Then came "Celebrate You"; and now it's "Let the Memories Begin". Seems like *every year* has to have some sort of "celebration" and that didn't really even start until after the Millennium Celebration in '99/'00.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Well this is a new low!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This celebration is actually being held on Sept 30, not Oct 1 and is being organized by D23 for it's members.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-d...,6794962.story
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

so much for me thinking i might try to get back for the anniversary. i bought an AP to get rm discount since i was supposed to g w my gf. next yr she was talking about going and maybe a wedding or something there.
    I was looking at D23, but other than the magaxines i didnt see much for me, since the special events are to far away for me to attend.
    How many times has everyone gone. have you ever said you wouldnt go back but did.
    i didnt renew my AP yrs ago because of the price increases..and i got one again. but i wont renew, as they seem to be punishing us.
    so, why dont we write someone, or make a list of who will never go back....
    I think it may be time to go to other places for a vacation.
    but i have an AP to use still thru next May so i guess i will b going back.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I did the Undiscovered Future World tour last week and I asked the tour guide if there were any plans for the 30th because I was seriously thinking about attending since I missed the 25th. He said he did not know of anything but for WDW 40th he did not find out about events until a week before hand. The other gentelmen in the tour knew about the D23 events so this sounds about right. So I guess no trip for me in October.
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EpcotChic23 View Post
    I did the Undiscovered Future World tour last week and I asked the tour guide if there were any plans for the 30th because I was seriously thinking about attending since I missed the 25th. He said he did not know of anything but for WDW 40th he did not find out about events until a week before hand. The other gentelmen in the tour knew about the D23 events so this sounds about right. So I guess no trip for me in October.
    As of now, and I will stress as of now, there doesn't appear to be ANY plans for WDW to celebrate the 30th with REGULAR fan... Just the pay only events, which is LOW.. Very LOW.. Almost as low as DLR charging AP holders money for the right to be the first to test out Radiator Springs Racers when AP events like that USED TO be free..

More and more this WDC is sinking to new lows...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm excited to celebrate at Epcot my own way, drinking around the world, Soarin and Malestrom! I don't need a fancy party to love WDW <3
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Well I'm excited to celebrate at Epcot my own way, drinking around the world, Soarin and Malestrom! I don't need a fancy party to love WDW <3
    yea true.still who has helped them make Epcot to 30.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    yea true.still who has helped them make Epcot to 30.
    If it was a WDW event I might find it offensive but its by D23 and thats seperate. Yall act like Disney is just being jerks and not letting in the normal people or something, either get the magazine and go or don't, Epcot will opperate just as usual that day its not like they aren't letting people in.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was a WDW event I might find it offensive but its by D23 and thats seperate. Yall act like Disney is just being jerks and not letting in the normal people or something, either get the magazine and go or don't, Epcot will opperate just as usual that day its not like they aren't letting people in.
    It's the same company, and the reason people are upset is that it falls under the "used to be free but now they're charging" category. Just like taking areas that used to be open to everyone to watch the nighttime fireworks shows, roping them off and calling them VIP areas or dessert parties so you can charge people to be in that space.

I can see both sides here, though. It seems the company has moved away from anniversary celebrations in favor of other broad promotional themes that encompass all four parks. The D23 division is claiming the more nostalgic commemorations for its hard-core fan members.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Let me also add that if Disney gave us anything to be positive about, attitudes and feelings may be different... But, well, they don't...
    Something positive? It's still standing, isn't it? I go there because it makes me feel good, it's fun for the whole family, and it's a magical getaway.

Good things: Fantasmic! is nightly again, Test Track is getting a cool makeover, the new FantasyLand looks awesome, StarTours is fresh again(and again and again), KilaSafaris is bringing back the Zebra's, and Epcot is still the best place in the world.

You want me to kick and scream about fastpass changes? You got it. But to throw a fit over Disney charging $$ for the 30th anniversary of Epcot is a waste of breath. 25 was a big deal. 40 will be a big deal. 30? Whatever. They'll make a publicity stunt out of it, as all good marketers would do, but it's not like we'll be missing anything special. That is unless you like being around uppity people eating uppity food. I don't, so I won't miss it.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like how things are, why go? Noone is holding a gun to your head telling you to book another trip. Go somewhere else and let the parks be happier for me and mine if you hate it so much. Just my thoughts on it, not trying to start a big riff but its getting so negative around here lately that its not any kind of happy experience to come here for Disney info anymore.
    That's what I'm thinking. If Universal is really pulling out all the stops, then start spending money there. I skipped the last winter of going to WDW and went to Hawaii instead. That's "Disney's money" going somewhere else. If they start implementing all of these new fastpass designs and other stuff that take away from the Magic, we'll be headed to other vacation spots more frequently and WDW less. But that's a big IF. I really like what WDW has been doing for the last 10 years, and I'll keep going if they keep improving.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. If Universal is really pulling out all the stops, then start spending money there. I skipped the last winter of going to WDW and went to Hawaii instead. That's "Disney's money" going somewhere else. If they start implementing all of these new fastpass designs and other stuff that take away from the Magic, we'll be headed to other vacation spots more frequently and WDW less. But that's a big IF. I really like what WDW has been doing for the last 10 years, and I'll keep going if they keep improving.
    I 100% agree, if I hated everything about WDW like some posters seem to I def wouldn't give them my money, I work far too hard for it. I love everything about WDW so I have zero issue giving them every dime I have to make that happiness occur for me and mine, but they have certainly never took money I didn't offer to them. I got to a point to where I didn't like Pop Century anymore, after 6 stays there it didn't have the same magic, I didn't go nuts and fuss about it to everyone, I paid more the next time and stayed somewhere different. If I didn't like WDW anymore I'd go somewhere else, but I do, and to me WDW shouldn't have to coddle me for there aniversary, I'm hopeful they will have 30th aniversary tshirts but I'm not cutting up my disney visa if they don't, I'll still be there, I'll still be the happiest version of myself, ever, while I'm there. Because there is nothing better to me.

Post Thanks / Like

25 was a big deal. 40 will be a big deal. 30? Whatever. They'll make a publicity stunt out of it, as all good marketers would do, but it's not like we'll be missing anything special. That is unless you like being around uppity people eating uppity food. I don't, so I won't miss it.
    I agree!! To follow up on a PP this is more like PT Barnums "Grand Egress!!"

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Once I realized this was a D23 event, I agree ... no biggie.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Noone is holding a gun to your head telling you to book another trip. Go somewhere else and let the parks be happier for me and mine if you hate it so much.
    Agreed! If you're going to spend the money anyway, what good does complaining do. Just chill and enjoy...

Just my thoughts on it, not trying to start a big riff but its getting so negative around here lately that its not any kind of happy experience to come here for Disney info anymore.
    Seems to be a bit touchy around here, lately. I sense a lot of pent up anger...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

actually watching the news on tv is mostly neg. but it cant all bhere all the time. i guess that would get boring too. I would like some free stuff for the anniversary
    too bad WDW is a business, being in retail mgmt so many yrs, i know how it works..even though businesses say the care about the people, it all comes down to $. get the people in by promising a low price, then get them to buy higher margin items. and labor is more controllable then some things so thats an area that gets cut, hours. although i did see some wasted hrs on my trip..
    So i guess it comes down to me not joining D23, since the only things i could use would b the mags, most of the events being too far for me.
    i will b trying to go back before the end of next May since i got an AP for thislast trip, thinking i could use the room discount. didnt need it this time though
    im sure we will get to read about the events though from someone who does go.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

Post Thanks / Like

Good things: Fantasmic! is nightly again, Test Track is getting a cool makeover, the new FantasyLand looks awesome, StarTours is fresh again(and again and again), KilaSafaris is bringing back the Zebra's, and Epcot is still the best place in the world.
    Fantasmic is falling apart, even after a so-called refurbishment...

Test Track is only getting done because GM ponied up the money.. If GM pulled sponsorship, Test Track would not be getting made over... Universe of Energy has been stagnant for years since Exxon pulled out... Test Track wouldn't be any different...

Fantasyland was needed because.. you guessed it... TDO mismanaged the park... Sure, it will look nice, and add capacity... Capacity they had but TDO being cheap, decided to shutter buildings and rides with no replacements... And even with New Fantasyland, how many rides are we netting??? None... We get a no better than a C ticket dark ride whose popularity died fast in DCA, a restaurant, that while needed, shouldn't have been needed if TDO didn't close down Veranda and Golden Horseshoe (too cheap to want to keep them open I guess)... And, as for New Fantasyland, this was FORCED onto TDO from the big wigs... TDO didn't even want it... Shocker???

Star Tours is great, love what they did to it... Sadly, this is another TDO blunder... Again, this was forced from above... TDO didn't want the refurb, then when told they had to have it, only wanted a minimal refurb.. They didn't want the version we got... more of a watered down version (save money again)... Thankfully the big wigs in CA didn't let TDO get their way...

And while the new zebra section will be nice and welcome, I wouldn't call that a major change in a park that is calling out for help (though it needs less help than DHS)...

The thing is, people may thing I am being negative... I'm not... I'm only bringing the truth about how terrible the management team in WDW is... I point out the failings in WDW to show how inept TDO is...

DCA just opened one heck of a land... Carsland looks fantastic... RSR looks like one awesome ride... Oh, and several e-tickets and more are getting fast tracked for DL (see, in DL they are worried about the Boy Wizard... In orlando??? As long as they can build more DVC they don't care)... What does WDW have to look forward to in the next year??? Mermaid... A glorified McDonald's play area... A splash area for kids to play in (oh, and read the sign for the rules... I wouldn't let my kid splash around in there)... Belle meet and greet, a princess meet and greet, a new restaurant and another kiddie coaster (well, more for the slightly older Barnstormer crowd not the toddlers Barnstormer is meant for)...

Find me a massive e-ticket for WDW and I'll give you kudos... (Hint: Avatar does not count since the current plans are Soarin Over Pandora, nothing new and exciting about that)...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I quite understand the bitter rant about Test Track and GM. Test Track wouldn't exist *period" without GM. See also every pavilion in Future World without its original sponsor, every country without its sponsoring tourism bureau, and the Enchanted Tiki Room without Dole. Disney didn't do stuff without corporate sponsors/partners in 1955, so why should they be doing it now?

I can appreciate your bitter disappointment -- clearly Disney was once something really magnificently magical for you, and now it's not. But the way you see it sure is different from the way I see it. It's almost like you're going out of your way to look for everything that's wrong. Every flaw, no matter how big or how small, provides further proof that the whole place has gone to the dogs and is beyond hope of redemption. Keep talking like that, and I assure you, you will see what you describe. *shrug* no skin off my nose, but it's not changing anything and it's probably making you feel even worse. No need to sugar-coat, but ask yourself what good it does you or anyone else to be on this level of tirade against Disney. If you have an issue with TDO, why not complain to TDO? Why not invite them to read INTERCOT and find out what their biggest fans are saying about them, both good and bad? Shaking your fist at the sky, or at the discussion boards, surely can't be helping?

As for the 30th, well, I live in Orlando and never knew the 25th was even happening. So they massively blew it on the publicity for that one. My personal theory is that they don't think the average park-goer cares about anniversaries. Realistically, why do you go for an anniversary? Because there's marketing hype that trumps up an excuse for a party? They do that for every little thing. Mickey's birthday. Walt's birthday. Pluto's birthday. The day Snow White got her first mani-pedi. I mean these people will use any excuse to create a "CELEBRATION" if they think you'll show up. And yeah, it's so they make more money! Duh!

I don't think the average park-goer *does* care about anniversaries. I think the hard-core fanatic nut jobs like us do. And so it makes all the sense in the world to create a D23 event for an anniversary, because D23 members are your core audience for that kind of cheesy nostalgic garbage. (BTW, I'm a charter member of D23, so I know whereof I speak!) I'm sure IllumiNations will be special that day, and I bet there'll be a few other fine surprises through the day that don't cost anything extra.

Meanwhile, for you, I order an IV of Pixie Dust! STAT!
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    Not sure I quite understand the bitter rant about Test Track and GM. Test Track wouldn't exist *period" without GM. See also every pavilion in Future World without its original sponsor, every country without its sponsoring tourism bureau, and the Enchanted Tiki Room without Dole. Disney didn't do stuff without corporate sponsors/partners in 1955, so why should they be doing it now?
    Because it is trotted out as if DISNEY is doing something... They aren't... GM is... That is the truth... Again, if Disney cared about doing anything, Universe of Energy wouldn't be stuck in the 80's/90's... They don't need sponsors to make sure projects are complete... They have enough money in lining their bottom line...

I can appreciate your bitter disappointment -- clearly Disney was once something really magnificently magical for you, and now it's not. But the way you see it sure is different from the way I see it. It's almost like you're going out of your way to look for everything that's wrong. Every flaw, no matter how big or how small, provides further proof that the whole place has gone to the dogs and is beyond hope of redemption. Keep talking like that, and I assure you, you will see what you describe. *shrug* no skin off my nose, but it's not changing anything and it's probably making you feel even worse. No need to sugar-coat, but ask yourself what good it does you or anyone else to be on this level of tirade against Disney. If you have an issue with TDO, why not complain to TDO? Why not invite them to read INTERCOT and find out what their biggest fans are saying about them, both good and bad? Shaking your fist at the sky, or at the discussion boards, surely can't be helping?
    They already read Intercot... Like they read other fan sites...

I don't think the average park-goer *does* care about anniversaries. I think the hard-core fanatic nut jobs like us do. And so it makes all the sense in the world to create a D23 event for an anniversary, because D23 members are your core audience for that kind of cheesy nostalgic garbage. (BTW, I'm a charter member of D23, so I know whereof I speak!) I'm sure IllumiNations will be special that day, and I bet there'll be a few other fine surprises through the day that don't cost anything extra.
    So a regular guest couldn't join in the festivities if they wanted to??? You are OK with that??? Remember who makes the parks the money.. Crazy nutjob fans (and I do mean that in a good way, not negatively) and REGULAR guests...

Meanwhile, for you, I order an IV of Pixie Dust! STAT!
    Please, no... That stuff rots the brain and leads to unbalanced thinking and a cloudy mind... My head is so much clearer and I can actually see things for what they truly are since I kicked that addiction.. And life is sooooooo much better

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: