Quantcast Will the new FastPass rules change your touring strategy? - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We never worried about return time in the pasts. We don't accumulate a handful, but with three kids, not having to make it in that exact hour was VERY helpful for flexibility. A two hour window would be easy, but one hour means we'll likely have several go unused. However, our FP's were mainly to do rides multiple times. They were rides with higher wait times which means we did them first thing in the morning anyway. Or, they were rides that the kids weren't big enough for or were too intense and then hubby and I would take turns going off while the other parent stayed with the kids, which had to be properly timed and was best in afternoon.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

my 2 cents

i was always too dumb to realize that you could return after the time, we are usually lucky to go during a time where lines are not that bad anywhere. i'll hardly notice the difference.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Not for me. I rarely use fast passes, since I don't "do" most of the attractions for which they are available (roller coasters, scary attractions (Tower of Terror, etc.)).

Since my use of them was so limited, I was always able to return during the window on my fast pass.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Our family typically only has one or two rides in each park we make a point to snag fastpasses for, so we start each morning off by acquiring them and spend the rest of the day hopping around the park. Usually we consider fastpasses to be like an ADR -- we show up at the scheduled time. If we can't make it, oh well. In that sense, it does not affect our touring strategy.

Post Thanks / Like

My strategy will be impacted.

In the past, I got fast passes based on the rides that I considered the greatest bottleneck without regard to creating "tight situations".

Now I will have to crunch the numbers to determine whether or not I can make it to lunch, bathrooms, other rides, etc. prior to "wasting a fast pass due to expiration".

It should be no problem as I generally carry an abacus, protractor, compass, slide rule, calculator, maps, and ADR plans with me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

The changes will change my touring strategy these ways:

1. We simply won’t go to WDW as often. Really, we won’t.

I’ve never been a FastPass ‘hoarder’ but if pre-scheduling every minute of every day, where we stand to watch what parade and when etc. etc. etc., we simply won’t go as often as we have.
    2. We’re going to stop using table service dining at WDW. I mean really folks, I can’t think of a single bite of anything I can get at Walt Disney World that I can’t get within walking distance of where I am sitting right now – with the exception of Dole Whip, maybe that’s why whenever it’s mentioned people put s all over their replies.

By not booking TS dining at WDW we will be able to retain, I hope, an ounce of zip-a-dee-do-dah spontaneous magic while slogging through the xpass attraction reservations we made days (weeks? months?) ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I don't understand the frustration. There is a full hour on the return window so it's not like you have to be there at some exact point in time. A window of an hour is more than enough time to accommodate unexpected delays. Also, I'm certain that if you ask nicely and have a legitimate delay they will let you go ahead.

We tend to hit up some of the more congested rides first thing in the morning before you need a fastpass so maybe we're just not using fastpass as much as others, but I can't see this new enforcement changing anything for us.

I hate to be scheduled just as much as anyone so I understand that angle, but I don't think the fast pass return times are too much to ask. We almost always plan for a TS lunch so we don't have to worry about showing up for a reservation in the middle of our park time so no worries about a fastpass return time conflicting with an ADR for us.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Honestly I don't understand the frustration. There is a full hour on the return window so it's not like you have to be there at some exact point in time. A window of an hour is more than enough time to accommodate unexpected delays. Also, I'm certain that if you ask nicely and have a legitimate delay they will let you go ahead.

We tend to hit up some of the more congested rides first thing in the morning before you need a fastpass so maybe we're just not using fastpass as much as others, but I can't see this new enforcement changing anything for us.

I hate to be scheduled just as much as anyone so I understand that angle, but I don't think the fast pass return times are too much to ask. We almost always plan for a TS lunch so we don't have to worry about showing up for a reservation in the middle of our park time so no worries about a fastpass return time conflicting with an ADR for us.
    For me the heartburn for this is that i see that this is directly being done for the xpass system that will be on boarded soon. I think the frustration a lot of people have is that in the very near future you will be required to reserve passes for certain rides before you arrive at the park.

If that time frame is 24 hours or less, then I can get on board, but if that time frame stretches out to months ahead of your visit, then count me in the group that will curb my visits to Disney World. I'll spend my vacation money elsewhere.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    We always park hop, multiple times during any given day. We have never, ever felt rushed. Not even once. Ever. Nor have we ever had to rush to ride within or FP window or rush to an ADR. Nor have we ever felt stressed while touring any of the parks. And we always see all we want to see each day we are lucky enough to be in WDW. I think I will consider us very blessed. (We're also looking forward to shorter FP lines so it'll work exactly the way it was designed to.)
    Perfectly stated.

How is there any rushing when you know exactly what time to return for your FP? I don't get it.

DH and I park hop a lot. We go at slightly slower times of the year, but still need FP's for the more popular attractions. If the FP works into our schedule that day, great. If not, we either don't get them, or give them away. We've never had to rush to use a FP, and we've somehow always managed to show up in the allotted time window. Go figure.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post
    How is there any rushing when you know exactly what time to return for your FP? I don't get it.
    Here's a what-if:
    You have a fastpass for Toy Story Mania for 12:30-1:30 p.m. You also have an ADR at Brown Derby at 12:30 p.m. but they can't seat you for 15 minutes. The meal takes over an hour, especially with paying the bill. Then you still need to rush back over to TSM to make the 1:30 p.m. Fastpass deadline. If you're lucky you make it back within the 15-minute "grace period". Yes, if you don't like the original Fastpass return time for TSM you can always come back later and get another one--if there are any left.

I can actually foresee quite a few situations where delays could make a person rush to make a Fastpass deadline. As my son says--at Disney World, everything is "hurry up and wait".

But I'm sure we'll all adjust. What choice do we have?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

But I'm sure we'll all adjust. What choice do we have?
    Sure we can do something, we can stop going.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Sure we can do something, we can stop going.
    True, but this isn't critical enough for me to do that. Yet.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Our strategy will stay the same as we have always stuck by the times on the FP. So I guess I'm happy that everyone has to go by the rules now.
    16 trips to "The World"

Last trip - April 2018 - Polynesian
    Next trip to WDW - December 2018 - Beach club

"Disneyworld will never be complete. It will continue to grow as long as there's imagination left in the world."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Here's a what-if:
    You have a fastpass for Toy Story Mania for 12:30-1:30 p.m. You also have an ADR at Brown Derby at 12:30 p.m. but they can't seat you for 15 minutes. The meal takes over an hour, especially with paying the bill. Then you still need to rush back over to TSM to make the 1:30 p.m. Fastpass deadline. If you're lucky you make it back within the 15-minute "grace period". Yes, if you don't like the original Fastpass return time for TSM you can always come back later and get another one--if there are any left.
    Actually, I'll probably forego the ride...

We could do the ride another day, or another trip (in our case).

While there are certain rides we want to do each trip, it doesn't make or break the trip for us if we don't get to experience it.

You know your ADR time, and you know your FP return time before you get the FP. If it's that tight, decide which is more important. Simple.

And I know there's the "but it's the only day in our entire lives that we'll EVER get to ride this, and now we can't" argument, but if the ride is that critical, get in the standby line. The FP line isn't the only one that gets to ride. Just sayin'.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forego

Actually, I'll probably forego the ride...
    I guess that's just what I was saying earlier - in reverse because We'll just forego the Table Service Meal.

Golly, I love food more than I should but here's a list, you tell me which of these I can't get in Charlotte, North Carolina:
    • Pizza
    • Expedition Everest
    • Lobster
    • Toy Story Mania
    • Steak
    • Wishes
    • Tossed Salad
    In recent years table service restaurants across all of Walt Disney Word have gotten worse while prices have gone up.

I am absolutely DONE trying to work around what's a snack and what's a entree and when is it better pay OOP even while on the DDP.

Post Thanks / Like

You know your ADR time, and you know your FP return time before you get the FP. If it's that tight, decide which is more important. Simple.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. As I said, I can imagine quite a few situations where delays, conflicts and time constraints could be a problem, most of them not necessarily within the control of the guest. But as I also said, now that the have stated they will be enforcing the return times, folks will have to make those choices. If it decreases their satisfaction with the overall experience, Disney's bottom line will eventually start to reflect it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I guess that's just what I was saying earlier - in reverse because We'll just forego the Table Service Meal.

Golly, I love food more than I should but here's a list, you tell me which of these I can't get in Charlotte, North Carolina:
    • Pizza
    • Expedition Everest
    • Lobster
    • Toy Story Mania
    • Steak
    • Wishes
    • Tossed Salad
    In recent years table service restaurants across all of Walt Disney Word have gotten worse while prices have gone up.

I am absolutely DONE trying to work around what's a snack and what's a entree and when is it better pay OOP even while on the DDP.

You can get Wishes in Charlotte, sometimes we see the fireworks from Carowinds or Knights Stadium and I'll just play the music in my head. Sorry I had to

But I do agree with you, we love the food and its part of our vacation, but the price for food is getting way out of hand. This is why our trips in the past few years have only been during free dining.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
    Yep, we do definitely disagree.

You could run to get the FP in the morning, then fret all morning that it's so close to your ADR, and it better not be a problem, then run to your ADR, fretting the entire meal that you won't make the FP return window, rushing through what could be a very relaxing and enjoyable meal, then run to the FP return, spend the 2 minutes on the ride, then finally enjoy your day (if you're not too worked up from your morning)....

Or do what we've done in the past....

Stand around liesurely for 10-15 minutes at the FP kiosks for the return time to change to a more appropriate time (because at TSM and Soarin' it changes very quickly), chat with my DH while enjoying a snack, walk up casually to the kiosk when the right time rolls along, get our FP's, enjoy our morning and look forward to a wonderful lunch with atmosphere I CAN'T get at home, stroll over to our FP, enjoy the ride, and continue enjoying the rest of our relaxing day in the park.

I choose the latter.

And if we don't get to do the ride, the sun will still come up tomorrow on another magical day in WDW.

Such first world problems we have.
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, we do definitely disagree.

You could run to get the FP in the morning, then fret all morning that it's so close to your ADR, and it better not be a problem, then run to your ADR, fretting the entire meal that you won't make the FP return window, rushing through what could be a very relaxing and enjoyable meal, then run to the FP return, spend the 2 minutes on the ride, then finally enjoy your day (if you're not too worked up from your morning)....

Or do what we've done in the past....

Stand around liesurely for 10-15 minutes at the FP kiosks for the return time to change to a more appropriate time (because at TSM and Soarin' it changes very quickly), chat with my DH while enjoying a snack, walk up casually to the kiosk when the right time rolls along, get our FP's, enjoy our morning and look forward to a wonderful lunch with atmosphere I CAN'T get at home, stroll over to our FP, enjoy the ride, and continue enjoying the rest of our relaxing day in the park.

I choose the latter.

And if we don't get to do the ride, the sun will still come up tomorrow on another magical day in WDW.

Such first world problems we have.
    I like you.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Moving on--don't want to

Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: