Quantcast He should go, right?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default He should go, right?

Okay, we have a situation.

We are supposed to go to WDW for a week in December. Plane tickets have been bought, park tickets have been bought, room is booked.

DH came home today with the news that he has been selected (only 4 guys out of about 120 were chosen) to attend a week long school in Paris, France, hosted by their military. He would have a chance to visit a bunch of historical WWI sites as well as represent the Marine Corps to the French Military.

The problem is, it's the same week as our vacation. And, we don't have the opportunity to take a vacation together very often due to his work schedule.

He has to let them know tomorrow if he wants to go or not.

We'd be out $400 in airline change fees, but otherwise, we could reschedule the trip for next June, probably, unless we have to move again which is a possibility.

I think he should go. You don't get this kind of opportunity very often, and I think it's an honor that he was chosen. He feels guilty because he knows how much we were all looking forward to this vacation (and, his birthday falls during it, so he was looking forward to spending it at WDW too).

He should go, right? He's leaving the decision up to me. No pressure...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

France? Ehhh... If it were me, I'd pass... It's high on my list of places I don't care to go.

Germany, Ireland, England, etc.. Sign me up!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - tough call. Didn't he return from deployment not too long ago? If you didn't purchase trip insurance you might want to check with your credit card company. Some may add trip insurance automatically - might be a way to get out of the fees. Or a far reach but if DH is traveling on orders couldn't you check into the Soldier's and Sailor's relief act for help in getting the airlines to waive the fees?

One last possibility - Let hubby go across the pond and take me to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Playing the role of Natalie's husband this trip will be ... Me!

Just kidding. Yes. He has to go. It stinks, but WDW will be there next year. This is a once in a lifetime honor that he can't miss.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely he should go. France is an incredible place to visit, especially for history buffs! I would assume he'll be spending time in Normandy and it would be so wonderful if he has the chance to visit the memorials along the different Allied Beaches. You must be so proud of your husband.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would hate to miss out on a trip to Disney World, I think this is an honor that needs to be accepted! Is there any chance you could go to France as well?
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - is there any chance you can go to France with him? That would be an amazing trip!

Otherwise, it is a tough decision, but it sounds like a really special honour that isn't too be missed.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous posters. The trip to France sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I know many vets who would love to take that kind of trip.

Congratulations to him! I think he should celebrate an un-birthday or a half birthday in WDW when you reschedule.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, your husband should go, and congratulations to him. You do not mention who other than yourself was going to DW. Can you still go with them?
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Me going to France is not an option. No one to watch the kids, plus he will be on a very full schedule. It's not like a business trip or something.

And, our trip to WDW was a family vacation. Just the four of us. I wouldn't entertain the idea of going without him on this one, since the family time together is the whole reason for it. He returned from a deployment a little under a year ago, and we haven't had a chance to vacation since, because of moving this year.

I told him to accept. He emailed the Colonel a little while ago. He's mentioned more than a few times since how much he wants to go. He is such a great guy. He really didn't want me to be disappointed. He downplayed the whole thing like it was no big deal, but I know him too well. He's not a good actor. I knew how much it means to him, and I know WDW will always be there later. And, luckily our kids are very understanding of plans having to change.

Still, though, I am a bit sad that I'll no longer be at WDW 45 days from now. I was looking forward to the Holiday stuff there.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

DISNEYWORLD PARIS...go with hubby, trips like this are far and few I between...what an honor
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a rate opportunity, don't let it pass by, even if you must lose your plane fare to Florida.

Can you go to Wdw without him?

Post Thanks / Like

Simply...he should go. What an awesome honor. I know it's dissappointing, but WDW will be here waiting. Start planning the next trip WITH him. Best of luck to you all !!
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he should definitely go.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on his reaction after you told him to go, it sounds like you absolutely made the right call.

I am impressed that you both chose to put the other first- he by downplaying his desire to go and defer to your wishes, and you by your willingness to postpone a family vacation.

Disney is great, but as a previous poster said, it will still be there next year. This situation not only presented a unique opportunity for him, but also demonstrated what your relationship is all about.

I wish you and your family many great vacations in the years to come.
    BLT, CR; OKWX2; BCX5; YCX3; Poly; PORX2; WLX4; PopX3; DolphinX3; ASX3

HGVC I-Drive, Seaworld & Parc Soleil, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Gaylord Palms, Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floridamom View Post

I am impressed that you both chose to put the other first- he by downplaying his desire to go and defer to your wishes, and you by your willingness to postpone a family vacation.
    Thank you. This is not the first family vacation I've had to postpone. Or the second. Or the third.

I think that is why he was so hesitant to even bring it up. He knows how disappointed I've been in the past about this sort of thing, but you know, it's part of the package of being a military family.

As far as sacrifices go, this is small beans. I made sure he knew that.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree.. He should go what a great Honor, But I would still try to make your trip with the kids only because you mentioned you have had to cancel so many other vacations as a family. I know it wont be the same, but the kids would probably still have a wonderful time with you.. Make that your special time with them and when he returns plan something big for all of you.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie, funny you should mention this. I was in Gettysburg a couple weeks go and had a long conversation with an instructor from one of our military schools here. He was touring the battlefield with a bunch of foriegn military members.

Is there a good reason why you're not still going to WDW with your kids?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I told him to accept.
    I am moved by the fact that you two wanted to put the wishes of the other first. You and your family are examples of the decisions military families make. I am sure you were hoping for a trip like this since before hubby returned from deployment. Memories and a time to reconnect as a family is so important, yet you know that going is what is best for him. I sit here and the mom side of me kicks in - proud of you and sad for you at the same time. (military families understand that comment)
    Last edited by azdisneymom; 11-03-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add content

Post Thanks / Like

(1) France, I dont need to see it. Germany Is just as pretty and has better Beer. Just Saying.

(2) French people, as a whole, I do not like thier attitude toward America and specifically Amercian Military. Ive had way to much interaction with them in the past.

(3) As a Career Army Soldier, there is no way in the world I would miss a chance to represent my Nation and my Branch of Service. Seeing first hand the battlefields of WWI and WWII for most people is touching. For those of us in uniform, it goes so much deeper. You guys made the right choice I think.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: