Quantcast Am I getting old and cranky or.....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I getting old and cranky or.....

Are the cast members in the parks not happy with their jobs? It used to be that every few years I would run into a nasty CM. This trip I encounter at least one a day. And it's not just rudeness, it's indifference, and general lack of motivation to help. And it's not that there aren't may wonderful CMs, it just that one bad apple.....

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not you..

Post Thanks / Like

Some are absolutely incredible- everything a Disney employee should be. Others are so apathetic that I really don't know what they are doing there!

Post Thanks / Like

There are about 60,000 CMs currently working at WDW. The population of the greater Orlando area is about 2.1 million people. This means that one out of 35 persons in the area is employed by Disney. I would challenge you to interview the next 35 people you see and find even one who would be a good fit for a Disney role. It is a huge problem.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    There are about 60,000 CMs currently working at WDW. The population of the greater Orlando area is about 2.1 million people. This means that one out of 35 persons in the area is employed by Disney. I would challenge you to interview the next 35 people you see and find even one who would be a good fit for a Disney role. It is a huge problem.
    Pick me, pick me!!!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Disney is like any other company these days taking advantage of the economy. I'm sure they are treating their employees worse and worse, so its probably pretty hard to keep a positive attitude. I'm sure there is a lot more/less to their working conditions that we know of (no raises, bad hours, unfair requests, political stuff, who knows).

Post Thanks / Like

*Sigh*...been that way for years.

I worked for the company for nine and a half years. When I left last January, my hourly pay was *still* less than ten bucks an hour.

Why did I stay so long? Because I *loved* what I did there. I grew up with the place. I knew - and *know* - what it should be like. It hasn't been what it should be since Eisner started making cutbacks way back in the early to mid 1980s.

Now, from what I understand on the latest hourly CM contract, the pay went up three percent - but health insurance costs have gone up five percent, which means they're taking home less than what they were before (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

My wife, who is *currently* seasonal, got a letter stating the policy changed on the requirements for remaining seasonal. 250 hours per year. Even working six-hour days, that's over 40 days a year required to work - just seasonally! We can't take that much time off from work up here in Ohio. Seems like Disney is running off CM's with the low(er) pay and ridiculous hours.

A LOT of CM's in the parks are College Program kids: they're there for three months at a time, housing's paid for by Disney...after work, they go out and party. A lot of 'em don't care about the *job* - but it looks good on a resume' that they "worked" for Disney (for three whole months). Sure, you have your exceptions (I have a few personal acquaintances that have decided to stay and *work*, not "party").

When I was a trainer at the park, I *tried* to instill that bit of Disney "wisdom" in my trainees. Some of 'em *got it*. A lot of 'em...didn't
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with the lack of magical CM's. However I just wanted to say that college programmers do have to pay a weekly rent which is taken out of their check. It is about $100 a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I getting old and cranky or.....
    Only if you find yourself mildly shaking your fist at them and calling them "whippersnappers"
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post

A LOT of CM's in the parks are College Program kids: they're there for three months at a time, housing's paid for by Disney...after work, they go out and party. A lot of 'em don't care about the *job* - but it looks good on a resume' that they "worked" for Disney (for three whole months). Sure, you have your exceptions (I have a few personal acquaintances that have decided to stay and *work*, not "party").
    My father works in one of the parks with many college kids and my sister in law met my brother while she was on the college program. Disney does not pay for their housing. A certain amount is taken out of their pay every week for housing and I think they also have to pay to be in the program in the first plac. I've also heard stories about how the security in their housing complexes isn't anywhere near where it should be. If Disney is going to take that much of the student's money and expect them to be productive during their time there, at least provide them with good security. No one is going to want to pay to work and live someplace unsafe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerf View Post
    Am I getting old and cranky or are the cast members in the parks not happy with their jobs?
    Why can't it be both?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I also wonder if our expectations are so much higher when we go to WDW. I know when we go I expect to have great service because it always has been and that on the few occasions where we have had no so happy CM's they have really stood out. In any other place would that behavior be as noticeable? I'm not sure it would be.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissMaryPoppins View Post
    My father works in one of the parks with many college kids and my sister in law met my brother while she was on the college program. Disney does not pay for their housing. A certain amount is taken out of their pay every week for housing and I think they also have to pay to be in the program in the first plac. I've also heard stories about how the security in their housing complexes isn't anywhere near where it should be. If Disney is going to take that much of the student's money and expect them to be productive during their time there, at least provide them with good security. No one is going to want to pay to work and live someplace unsafe.
    Not true There are many unpaid internships out there and college kids do the work. College kids need the experience and many of them get credits from their college for working at Disney in the program. win -win credits experience and some ( even if it is little money) My daughters best friend just got back from the college program and security was not an issue. No worse, maybe better then a college campus. They do not pay to be in the program either. Is it a job and are they expected to work and follow rules that are strict YES but that they know that going in.

With that said, I feel Disney has a waterfall of pixie dust going down a black hole somewhere. It is lacking in the parks at the resorts and resturants.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Both

First I think everyones expectations are nearly impossible to meet at Disney. Second, we tend to forget details from the past, and always think it was better in the old days (a clear sign you are aging). Third, when you have so many people, it is impossible to hit on every person. I think if every business, and Disney is a business (even under Walt), was viewed with the same standards as Disney, you would realize how amazing the CM/Guest relationship is and the wonderful service you receive on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We have never had any trouble or any cast member being rude to us. I guess I just make the first move in any conversation with them and joke with them along with telling them what a great job they do. I think if you go out of your way to make friends with them that it makes them happy to help in anyway that they can.
    I love meeting them and just talking with them along my way around the parks. I am a people
    person and engage in talking with most everyone that I come in contact with. It is still the happiest place on earth!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JROriole8Fan View Post
    First I think everyones expectations are nearly impossible to meet at Disney. Second, we tend to forget details from the past, and always think it was better in the old days (a clear sign you are aging). Third, when you have so many people, it is impossible to hit on every person. I think if every business, and Disney is a business (even under Walt), was viewed with the same standards as Disney, you would realize how amazing the CM/Guest relationship is and the wonderful service you receive on a regular basis.
    I couldn't agree more. I think many people (not us, of course!) feel a sense of entitlement. Having spent so much time planning and money making those plans happen, some folks feel they should be treated like royalty throughout their stay. In all likelihood, cast members earn lower salaries than their guests, working at a vacation destination they may not be able to afford for their own families. So once in a while you may run into a cast member who may not exactly be feeling the magic at that point in time, but I know that when I'm at work, I'm not always grinning either. 'Nuff said. TGIF - time for a
    Previous trips:

Nov 2000, Oct 2002 - WL
    Dec 2002 - CSR (conf.)
    Feb 2004 - AKL
    Feb 2005, Jan 2007 - POR
    Oct 2007 - CSR (conf.)
    Oct 2008 - POP (pre-conf. visit)
    Oct 2009 - BV Suites (conf.)
    Oct 2010 - POR
    Nov 2010 - BV Suites (conf.)
    June 2012 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it's not a sense of entitlement... It's the Disney Way!

Disney employees used to be taught (expected) to not complain in front of guests, not be rude to guests, and to get answers for guests.

In recent trips (I have to stop saying recent since it's been a few years), I've seen people have to interrupt CMs complaining to each other to ask for assistance. I've seen CM's texting others in plain sight of guests. I've been left with "I don't know" for an answer to some questions, and I'm talking questions like where is this, not why is there air. I've seen CMs roll their eyes, sigh, use condescending language, etc directly at guests.

That really is unacceptable...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    I think a lot of people forget the size of Disney and that the CMs are people too with all of our real world problems. Should an employee leave their problems at the door? Sure, but does that happen at any business? No!

We all know bad apples in our work places and there won't be a work place without one. Same at Disney. The big difference is that when customers meet one at Disney they often write about here. When they meet a bad apple at their local XYZ company they don't report it in such a large forum.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

The low pay doesn't help...add into the mix the people who are taking jobs they wouldn't normally take but now have been unemployed or otherwise...maybe don't really care or don't want to be there, not into it etc. Sad, but you see it more and more. Unfortunately, expectations when visting DIsney are much higher than when you say go to Walmart.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MissMaryPoppins View Post
    I've also heard stories about how the security in their housing complexes isn't anywhere near where it should be. If Disney is going to take that much of the student's money and expect them to be productive during their time there, at least provide them with good security. No one is going to want to pay to work and live someplace unsafe.

Security is actually VERY good with the CP Housing. I was a CP up until this January and it was incredible (and sometimes annoying) how secure the complexes are. Most of the "security problems" are just stupid decisions made by the CPs themselves. (inviting unknown neighbors over to their rooms, roommate issues, underage drinking, etc)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: