Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
Ok, I guess we will. My point was that it really doesn't matter what the movie is or how good it is, ( i got kind of side tracked because I think Avatar is boring) I think Disney has enough of their own intellectual property to do something uniquely their own which would be much better. I can see "outside" movies at DHS, but not so much here.
I'm just not sure I follow the logic here. Just about everything in the theme parks came from an outside source at some point, even the properties we now consider "classic" Disney. Walt Disney appropriated stories that purists saw as timeless fables and morality tales and turned them into cute, cuddly, sentimental entertainment. If Disney himself, the man who built the company, can use "Peter Pan," "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Cinderella," why can't the modern Disney corporation use "Avatar?" Who's to say that in 50 or 60 or 70 years, kids don't see "Avatar" as Disney. Many kids already see the Muppets as "Disney" these days. I just don't see how this is any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
I think Disney had to do something BIG, and everything James Cameron does is VERY BIG, and VERY SUCCESSFUL. Honestly, I think the logevity of the Avatar franchise is mostly irrelevant. If the "land" itself is made up of cool state of the art forward thinking technologically advanced and visually stunning fun stuff, then it will carry itself. Personally, I think it's a very appropriate fit considering the environmental tones of the film.

As far as the not family friendly goes ... POTC is very not family friendly (speaking in Disney terms), but they have run with it, and even set up the Pirates League to have our kids dress the part. I don't think Avatar is any less "appropriate" than other franchises marketed through the parks.

This said, I did not enjoy Avatar any of the dozen times I attempted to keep my eyes open whilst watching it, BUT my two sons (aged 7 and 13) and my 16 year old niece LOVED it. I am excited to see what happens at AK, a park that we spend a couple of hours at every few years. Like others have said, maybe this will get us to add it back into our park touring circuit ... then again maybe it will be just one more reason to not visit. Time will tell.
I agree with basically everything in this post, especially the paragraph regarding the irrelevance of "Avatar's" longevity as a franchise.