Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default a point maybe missed

Regardless of how much money put forth, regardless of what James Cameron brings to the table, Disney will be unable to pull it off. Look no further than the current disaster known as the fantasyland expansion. All that money, and what do we get? Upon completion, something most will describe as "nice" or "pleasant" Lets be honest. For whatever reason, Disney just does not have the willingness, or ability to wow us anymore. They have gotten us to settle for less, time, and time again. We bemoan at a mighty pitch the fall from grace seen at the Walt Disney World Resort, how things used to be, how things continue to erode at a depressing rate. Of course boycott is not the answer, that would only quicken the demise. When do we all not only accept, but put into action, the removal, and replacement, of the current management and replace it with those that share the vision of those who so truly love the Florida property. All the years gone by fighting a futile endeavor thinking current management will see the light, drop to their knees and scream "what have we done? Forgive us!" Not going to happen. Wasting out time with these visionless fools. Walt is gone, but his integrity, vision, talent, creativity, was not unique only to him. The talent is out there, and the sooner they are brought on board the better.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally think avatar is one of the silliest movies ever and no matter how many times I try, I can't make it past the first 10-15 minutes and I lose all interest. I can't imagine that I will care for a land in AK based off of it either.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand all the constant negativity about big changes that come to WDW especially before a single ride description or storyboard art is shown. Sometimes I think the die-hard Disney fans focus to much on what can't or won't work in their minds. Instead of being open minded about would could have potential. Who know's maybe this might lead to the creation of a ride experience that has never be done before.

I wasn't a fan of the movie (I did like the visuals) but James Cameron is not a slacker and is constantly helping the motion picture industry evolve. So why can't he coupled with the greatest Theme Park people in the world make a awesome new land? Even if it is based on Avatar. I hope this is a major success and I also hope some of you boo-birds change your mind down the road.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Last I checked they just invented an entirely new ride system for the Dwarves mine train. They listened to the fans and brought back an original form of the tiki room. They upped the ante on dark rides with Mermaid. They have a state of the art park in Tokyo. They are giving love to relatively new attractions such as Test Track. They listened to the fans when they said fantasy land was lacking. Living characters are becoming a staple. This company is still innovating meanwhile everyone on these boards want them to bring back attractions of the past that obviously weren't working. So you all can have Horizons. I'll have Pandora all to myself.

Everyone gets all fired up saying the company isn't coming up with anything new and then beg for cardboard cut outs of Mr. Toad back. COME ON.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should be interesting

I really do hope this is a fabulous as it sounds. I did like Avatar and they have a lot of material to work with. I was a huge Narnia fan but was personally disappointed in the very limited exhibition room they had set up.
    All Star Music, March 2002
    Contemporary, Feb 2003
    SOG Dec 2006
    Pop Century April 2007
    SOG June 2009-Star Wars Weekend
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek Sept 2011-first time off-site
    Sheraton Vistana Dec 2013-second time off-site

Wyndham Anaheim Disneyland 2015-First Disneyland[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Not to be picky here but I didn't make it Political, Cameron did when he said it parallels the events in the world today especially the situation in the Middle East. He was basically talking about the Iraq War and the US Military being used as a private security force for Big Oil. Was it Cleverly disguised yes it was and really without knowing how Cameron works this stuff into his movies it's not always in your face but it's there.
    I've been telling people this ever since I saw the film. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed! Visually? Ridiculously breathtaking, which is why I'm hoping the budget is sufficient to do it well; we can't undo their decision. Message? Hopefully none will be promoted. I'm all for conservation station but don't go all Al Gore on me.
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool To those in favor of AVATARland

I'll agree with you on one point; at least Disney is doing something "big".

But I'd have to say I agree with Goofster and the comparisons pointed out by some are faulty. Indiana Jones etc. are attractions, not entire lands.

Why you're bashing people who thought Disney would consider one of their own pictures to base an entire land on is beyond comprehension. Its only natural that Disney fans on a Disney forum would have preferred and even expected the aforementioned.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Joe Rhode is in charge.. The man is a genious...
    This is completely true and if nothing else gets the head-spinners to calm down...this should. Take a breath, have a sip of water...it'll be OK...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Lions and fish do not talk ... Neither do bugs... Vines don't magically walk

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Man Type ride?

This seems to be a perfect opporunity to add a 'spiderman' type ride (like Universal) to Disney. If they did it well they could take back the crown as having the best single attraction in Orlando (which i think spiderman is).

According to the article, they will spend $400 million which IMO is not enough...unless they plan to leveage a lot of the 3d footage from the movie and not make any original content?

Anyway, I persoanlly glad that Disney is throwing is Sci-Fi fans a bone. Also, this fits with Disney's idea of trying to be more attactive to the young male audience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    I don't understand all the constant negativity about big changes that come to WDW especially before a single ride description or storyboard art is shown. Sometimes I think the die-hard Disney fans focus to much on what can't or won't work in their minds. Instead of being open minded about would could have potential. Who know's maybe this might lead to the creation of a ride experience that has never be done before.
    Besides this topic, where else do you see "constant negativity" about changes at WDW, here at Intercot? I don't see that at all.

In fact, this is one of the first times I, personally, have had a really negative feeling about an announcement from Disney of this caliber. I might not like some of the more recent things, but it's minor stuff, like the look of the new Art of Animation rooms, or the fact that Duffy the bear is all over the place. But you know, those are really minor things that don't affect me at all. I am all over the recent overhaul of DCA, the Fantasyland Expansion, etc. I like AK. I would like to want to spend more time there, but this is just NOT doing it for me at all.

I suspect that most who have posted here, voicing their distaste for this particular announcement do not have a lengthy history of "poo pooing" EVERY change that Disney makes.

What I don't understand is the mentality that we should blindly accept and be excited about everything Disney decides to do. That's just completely against human nature, in my point of view. However, I don't chastise those who want to have that outlook, or try to make them feel bad about it.

We can all have an opinion. It's okay for some of them to be negative.

And, I'm okay with admitting that this could end up being spectacular, and I'll have to eat my hat down the line. I'm open to being "thrilled and delighted" with the final outcome of this. However, I just can't shake the feeling that this is a bad idea, and before we even see any concept art, the theme will have magically changed to something more universal. They went back to the drawing board on the Fantasyland Expansion after some reflection that their plan wasn't going to cut it, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they will rethink this down the line.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's fair to lump all of the complainers into the "we hate change!" crowd. While it's true that human nature is to be resistant to change and frequently we lament about bygone attractions and lack of vision, nothing is being changed here, it's an addition. I think many people are just thinking there are so many different things to pull from and Avatar is out of left field. Like I said earlier, with the sequels coming, that could change everything, but I haven't thought about Avatar since I saw it in the theaters. I personally wouldn't have been upset with Disney if Universal got the property because I wouldn't have connected the two. As for being a good fit in AK vs DHS, I DO think AK is the better fit.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I have slept twice and talked to some friends about this whole thing since I posted last. Im not as upset as I first was. At the begining I couldnt see the connection and thought it was a bad move. But now, I think it was actually probably a great gamble.

1. True, no one knows if the next two movies will tank or not. I am betting, and Disney is too, that since its Cameron, they wont tank. And if i heard right, the second one is supposed to be underwater. This opens up a plethora of options for Imagineers to work with Cameron and get pavilions and areas themed perfectly. It should actually turn out very visually appealing. With the two movies doing well (they/we hope) that will bring attendence up quite a bit. Bring more people into the resorts, more people into the Restaurants, ect...

2. The fan base of Avatar is pretty huge no matter if you liked the movie or not. That being said, I would expect Avatar weekends just like starwars weekends over at DHS. Disney has a proven track record with the Starwars weekends for them not to follow the same model and make that work to their advantage. Although I dont think Dancing with the Pandora stars will be as big a hit.

3. Merchandising. The all mighty Dollar. The oportunities to merchandise not only the characters and animals but the Pandora/Avatar themed attractions are going to be Legion. I fully expect Disney to make a ton of money from this and Im sure they do too. Hopefully the Merch wont be the cheap stuff that they have been going to more recently but will go with quality made items.

So now that most of us are over the initial shock, I say lets embrase this. Is it classic Disney? No. But we can Adopt it. Make it part of the family and enjoy it for what it is. It should be a great adventure.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

PirateLover and BrerGnat are correct. Actually, I am usually in the "Blindly Defending" catagory. I am also a sci-fi nut. However, I tend to have pretty good instincts and this move seems to have "really bad idea" written all over it.

Still, I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I am not, however, "filled with hate" as a poster has suggested. I do nave a right to be "concerned" despite what another poster suggested, and if I feel in my heart that Disney is trying to spin something negative into a positive, I have the right to say so without being attacked and ridiculed.

I have been on this board for over five years, but I almost dumped it yesterday over the tone of responses I got for simply wanting to discuss the events in an adult manner. I may not have 18,000 entries, but I will not be shouted down. Or, maybe I will be. Maybe it's not really worth it anymore... Let the "fanboys" have it...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    PirateLover and BrerGnat are correct. Actually, I am usually in the "Blindly Defending" catagory. I am also a sci-fi nut. However, I tend to have pretty good instincts and this move seems to have "really bad idea" written all over it.

Still, I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I am not, however, "filled with hate" as a poster has suggested. I do nave a right to be "concerned" despite what another poster suggested, and if I feel in my heart that Disney is trying to spin something negative into a positive, I have the right to say so without being attacked and ridiculed.

I have been on this board for over five years, but I almost dumped it yesterday over the tone of responses I got for simply wanting to discuss the events in an adult manner. I may not have 18,000 entries, but I will not be shouted down. Or, maybe I will be. Maybe it's not really worth it anymore... Let the "fanboys" have it...
    I merely had a differing opinion. I do hope you did not feel I was attacking or ridiculing. I stand by what I said, just as you stand by what you said. No worries.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

I love Avatar the movie this will be awesome!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

As hardcore Disney fans, I think there are times when we all need to step back and try to view these things from the perspective of the general population. I think this thread shows a huge disconnect there.

Ian, I understand your point from earlier, and you're definitely not wrong. Businesses do need to consider their fan base and cater to it at times -- maybe "placate" is a better word in this case, but the point is the same. I think it's pretty evident that Disney knew that this announcement would alienate a certain sect of the diehards, which is why it immediately scheduled that ridiculous "Q&A session" with Staggs. That was obviously a preemptive attempt to settle down the vocal masses. I still say, though, that we cannot lose sight of how tiny of a percentage that vocal mass represents in Disney's eyes. I argue that 99% of park guests on a given day could not care less about the "fit" of a certain thematic element. They will accept Pandora anywhere if the experience is immersive and the attractions are cutting-edge and thrilling.

We can argue all we want about whether Pandora stays true to Animal Kingdom's mission, if it belongs in the Studios instead. Heck, we can even debate whether or not "Avatar" belongs in a Disney park at all. But the reality is that, from a business perspective, I'm not sure how anybody can argue that Animal Kingdom is the best fit for this property. The park desperately needs a boost to bring in more guests, and allow Disney to give Expedition Everest and Dinosaur the refurbishments they desperately need. People who never saw themselves enjoying a Disney park will visit Animal Kingdom exclusively for the opportunity to explore Pandora (assuming the land is done well).

And at the end of the day, no matter what's said no, I think even hardcore fans will end up appreciating it, as long as Rohde and Cameron come through.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Disney stock is down 3.5% today. I guess the news wasn't well received.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    Disney stock is down 3.5% today. I guess the news wasn't well received.
    There is a broad sell off today...the entire market is down over 3%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tydas View Post
    There is a broad sell off today...the entire market is down over 3%
    Cool, thanks for that info.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: