Quantcast So who likes visiting WDW Solo??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default So who likes visiting WDW Solo??

I have been put in a major WDW depression. I have not been to Disney World in almost 3 years.. november will be 3 years since my last visit in 2008. I have been going to WDW every year since I was 6 years old, beside a couple years in between not going. My love and addiction for all things disney is just like all of yours! I am a single 25 year old.. all of my friends have kids or school and other things holding them down from going with me to WDW. I just want to know who here on intercot loves to go to WDW Solo or has been there Solo. And what are some of your experiences??

Please someone talk me into just booking a Solo trip for myself so I can get rid of this WDW Depression I got going on!! LOL

I have never been there by myself. I usually love to travel 6 nights, 7 days, nothing less lol but I'm afraid I will feel weird not having anyone to talk to on the rides, in lines and while dining. Thanks for any input!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been to WDW several times solo - just never went into the parks. It was fun to ride the busses/monorail and talk with guests, visit resorts - watch Wishes from the Poly, watch the animals and talk with the CMs at AKL, dine in the restaurants, etc. I would love to go to WDW, visit the parks, and do "my own thing". I vote 'go' - and be open to talking to others around you if you wish.
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Never been solo but have a friend that goes to Orlando on conferences at least once a year and always extends her trip to get her WDW fix.

She's outgoing and is not afraid to strike up a conversation with anyone. I find people at WDW aren't afraid to get involved in a conversation at all She has a wonderful time on her solo trips. She does a couple TS meals other than that she does CS. She "drags" the family to WDW every 3 or 4 years, but she does enjoy the solo trips too!

Finale choice is up to you. If you decide to go hope you have a great time

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it a couple of times...it's nice....sleep in, do what I want, ride what I want, and window shop as long as I want...sit on benches and watch people. It's only a few days...go.go.go and enjoy it.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with previous posters. I have been there solo. While I do find dining rather uncomfortable while solo, the rest of it is just fine. I stick to counter service meals and just do as I please. It can be fun to set up an all 4 parks in one day itinerary. Or just sit by the pool sipping an adult beverage. That is the upside. You can make it a trip catered to just you. Do what you want when you want and where you want. Spoil yourself.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Brandon, Florida - About 55 miles from WDW!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Living close to Disney I go solo from time to time, it isn't really that bad actually. You get to do what you want when you want, eat where you want to eat, no one else to worry about. Plus sometimes you can meet other guests in line and strike up conversations with them to make the time pass while waiting in line for a ride.
    Jason

And here's the little Skipper now. Oh Shut up Scruffy you're not burned, you just have a healthy glow.

șOș

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to WDW solo, or had a totally solo trip, but when I went to Disneyland I ended up with 4 hours by myself in the parks without those I was traveling with. We were there for two full days and two evenings on other days (I was at a conference in Anaheim and worked my Disneyland trip into the week I was there), and those 4 hours of alone time one evening and hour of alone time one morning were my favorites of the trip. I liked being able to go where I wanted to go and do what I wanted to do. If I wanted to window shop for an hour, I could. If I wanted to get a drink and sit on a bench and just enjoy the sounds and sights around me. I could. It actually made me kind of want to plan a full solo trip to WDW to do that.

I say go for it. And the previous poster who said that people are more open to conversations in Disney World is right. I'm a pretty quiet, reserved person overall, and it takes me a while to warm up to people or make small talk even with people I know...At Disney World it is not unlikely to see me striking up conversation with a stranger next to me in line, or continuing conversations started by others.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who goes every year for a few days. She loves being by herself and says she sees so many things differently than when she is with her family. Go and have fun.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I say go for it. While I have never been solo I have thought a lot about doing that. I thought about taking all the tours that I've wanted to try that no one in my family wanted to do. I bet that there are more solo people there than people would expect.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I did Disney world pretty much "solo" as a teenager. From the time I was 13, my parents would give me a pager and we'd go our separate ways. I rode the buses to the parks and did all the rides by myself. I made friends with other teens on their own or in groups or I enjoyed the time by myself. I'd be in the parksnfrom opening to closing and even stay for the E ticket nights. I'd eat breakfast and lunch in the parks or at nearby hotels at both counter service and table service. I'll never forget the first time I ate at a table service on my own and didn't know how much to tip, my bill was $15 and I gave the waiter a $10 tip. When told my parents about my experience they laughed and gave me a lesson in gratuity. They still mess with me to this day about that one!

I know this isnt exaclty what you are talking about, because I ate dinner with my family and spent the night in the same hotel room with them... But as far as the eating and park hopping I really enjoy it alone. I'm glad I got the chance to do that because every trip since I graduated college has been a family reunion and I've had no alone time! My advice to you would be to go for it while you can What do you have to lose?
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your input!! I have on past trips gone my own way a few times and rode the buses myself and walked around the parks myself but never did an entire Solo trip.

I love the thought of just doing things on MY time.. not worrying about anyone elses opinions and what anyone else wants to do. I would probably stick to counter service for food and maybe an ADR at my favorite Kona at Poly. Everytime I think of being there by myself, I think that it will be the most relaxing trip I'll ever to take so I wanted to see from others if that is true.

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

For many years, I went to WDW with friends. I also took my Mother there every year for vacation. But, for the last 10 years or so, I have been going solo every year for 10-14 days. I always have a great time. Going solo is not so uncommon these days. Waiting in line is the best time to meet other people. On one trip I actually met a local couple; to make a long story short, we arranged to spend the following day together in EPCOT.

Some of the things I love about being solo - sleeping til noon; having your room to yourself and knowing that you can keep it as clean (or as messy) as you like; not having to worry about schedules or what everyone else wants to do; finding a quiet spot to people watch; having a meal (or skipping one) on my schedule; relaxing by the pool; etc. etc.

As for TS meals, the one place that seems to be made for solo travelers is 50s Prime Time. If you've never been there, the restaurant is broken down into smaller rooms, and the decor is 50s style, complete with 50s sitcom clips on black and white TVs. So, if you like fun, give it a try. Typically, the more you interact with the server, the more fun you have. I'll be eating here again next month, solo.

I also have eaten solo at Kona Cafe and Beaches and Cream. I'll be eating at both again next month, solo.

Go for it!!! Just think of all the little nooks and cranies you'll discover when you don't have to worry about anyone else's schedule.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For many years, I went to WDW with friends. I also took my Mother there every year for vacation. But, for the last 10 years or so, I have been going solo every year for 10-14 days. I always have a great time. Going solo is not so uncommon these days. Waiting in line is the best time to meet other people. On one trip I actually met a local couple; to make a long story short, we arranged to spend the following day together in EPCOT.

Some of the things I love about being solo - sleeping til noon; having your room to yourself and knowing that you can keep it as clean (or as messy) as you like; not having to worry about schedules or what everyone else wants to do; finding a quiet spot to people watch; having a meal (or skipping one) on my schedule; relaxing by the pool; etc. etc.

As for TS meals, the one place that seems to be made for solo travelers is 50s Prime Time. If you've never been there, the restaurant is broken down into smaller rooms, and the decor is 50s style, complete with 50s sitcom clips on black and white TVs. So, if you like fun, give it a try. Typically, the more you interact with the server, the more fun you have. I'll be eating here again next month, solo.

I also have eaten solo at Kona Cafe and Beaches and Cream. I'll be eating at both again next month, solo.

Go for it!!! Just think of all the little nooks and cranies you'll discover when you don't have to worry about anyone else's schedule.
    Hey there neighbor!! You are probably 45mins from my area in South Jersey!!

Thanks for your reply!! It makes it a little more easy knowing these things.. I have eaten at 50's Prime Time w/ my family and I love it there. I would love to take a solo trip and meet other people around the parks. It sounds so fun. and it sounds like it would be such a relaxing trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

I'm planning for next year and it looks to be a solo. I've been having doubts about going alone but everyone that talks about going solo seems to have a great time.

I've only been twice. The last time was 1978. I think it's time I went back.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone a couple of times where half of my trip was with family and the other half was solo. I really like the solo part best. I got to do what I wanted when I wanted and did not have to sit and wait for anyone (my relatives are late for everything). I found myself striking up conversations with all types of folks and was able to find all kinds of little out of the way places to look at you would not see when traveling with a group. People watching was great fun. Go solo you won't regret it.

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbella16 View Post
    Hey there neighbor!! You are probably 45mins from my area in South Jersey!!

Thanks for your reply!! It makes it a little more easy knowing these things.. I have eaten at 50's Prime Time w/ my family and I love it there. I would love to take a solo trip and meet other people around the parks. It sounds so fun. and it sounds like it would be such a relaxing trip!
    Hi right back!

You will have a great time going solo. It's so easy to meet other people. All you have to do is smile and say hello. And, it definitely is relaxing.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /

Upcoming:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BongoFury View Post
    I'm planning for next year and it looks to be a solo. I've been having doubts about going alone but everyone that talks about going solo seems to have a great time.

I've only been twice. The last time was 1978. I think it's time I went back.
    If you haven't been to WDW since 1978, you are in for a real treat. There are so many new things to experience, not to mention 3 major theme parks that didn't exist in 1978. You'll have a great time.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /

Upcoming:

Post Thanks / Like

About my fifth trip I went with some friends. I had no clue there idea of vacationing was get to breakfast around 9:30 and be out of the parks by 2:00 to hang at the resort. I am an early bird and spend rope down until close at the parks. So I learned quick that if I wanted to do the parks I was going solo. You know what? I loved it. It was amazing how you never feel alone and sometimes I would sit with someone else at mealtimes and just chat away. Most people I found love to talk about what they are experiencing or their previous trips. Go I say. Go solo and enjoy it all.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone on a few solo trips for the EPCOT flower show and had a good time. I didn't ride a lot of rides but did shows.

A good place to eat is Kona. I felt comfortable. I didn't enjoy Garden Grill by myself. also beaches and Cream was nice.

I did go to California Grill and that was fine but I got to sit at the chef counter and a lot was going on.

A couple of nights was enough for me solo and I hope to do it again in the spring.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: