Quantcast My day at DTD with my little ones

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default My day at DTD with my little ones

My friend Kelly, her 1 year old Anthony, and I (with my 3 year old PJ and 9 month old Abigail) planned to meet up for lunch and the afternoon at DTD. It was last minute decision, we didn't really have time to plan.

We were due to meet at 1:30 at Rainforest. Parking was easy, the lot was still pretty empty. It has been years since I have been to DTD. With all the years I have spent on this board you think I would not make a rookie mistake as to bring a 1 year old to Rainforest. My kids were fine, they are used to loud noises and lots of chaos going on (I have 3 children and tons of family close by) Anthony, however, is an only child. While I have to hand it to Kelly, she does not act like most first time moms and is overly protective, poor Anthony was pretty scared of the thunderstorms. He had enough by the time we were done eating. Thank goodness they had fish for him to look at. Kelly and I both had the chicken quesadilla appetizer as our meal. I was disappointed that they didn't have any grapes or other fruit besides Applesauce that I could get for the baby. My baby does not like applesauce or any other baby food type texture food. I was glad I brought my own snacks for her but I would have liked her to have something a little more. Another lesson forgotten that I had to relearn.

We left Rainforest to brave the heat, and it was HOT. We went through the Art of Disney Store and then let PJ play in the water spouts for a while. Kelly was getting overheated so we went into the Christmas store. This store totally makes me miss all the full on trips that I used to take every year. I saw a few ornaments that I took pictures of, hopefully my boyfriend will look at the camera and get a clue

We went into some crazy bright scarey store were the pet store stuff used to be. This store reminded me of what you would have if Disney and Gap threw up in the same pile. We walked in and right back out again.

I skipped Once Upon a Toy and the Pin station because I figured I would be staying a little later than Kelly and just go back. My dinner friend couldn't make it but I still intended on staying so as not to get caught up in work traffic.

We did Ghiradelli next. There we were with our small children, and these ladies who weren't even ordering occupying a table because it was so dadgum hot outside they wouldn't move. We had to sit outside in the heat. I didn't expect anyone who actually ordered from there to move, but that was rediculous. I ordered the kids bowl for PJ. They brought it out in a glass bowl that was really tall for him. He managed, but I was terrified of him dropping that bowl.

We walked through World of Disney and the Lego store. But our kids were so tired of being locked in the stroller at this point that we both decided to leave. I forgot how there is just nowhere to put a baby down or even a one year old to play at DTD other than getting wet in the fountain, back on the other side of Marketplace.

While it was fantastic to be back at Disney, even though it was just DTD, I was reminded of a few things that I felt I should pass on...

1. Do not take 1 year olds to Rainforest Cafe

2. Bring your own food for babies even if they are on solids when going to Rainforest Cafe

3. Do not take children under 5 to DTD, there is just simply nothing for them to do there but sweat.
    șoș Lizzy șoș

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    șoș David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Lizzy, this is just a miserable time of year weather-wise to really enjoy DTD.

You made me laugh about Little Miss Match, the bright store. I went in there with some friends last month and lasted about 5 minutes. Not having girls, I just couldn't deal. lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My day at DTD with my little ones

What a day Lizzie! Lots of little ones and lots of heat...thunderstorms in RC - all so overwhelming. You bring back memories of my youngest needing to spend so much time playing in the water areas. She always enjoyed that so much. The seating at Ghiradelli is so hard to navigate but in the heat with the children ,,,yikes! You accomplished so much that day with grace and patience!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like an overall pretty good day, thanks for sharing.
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, hope you get your ornaments

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thank you for sharing your experience at DTD with small children. I've often wondered how parents manage there for extended periods of time. Thanks for the tips

Also, geers to the ladies who wouldn't give up their table for you and the kids when it so hot outside. Some people are just too selfish and rude to care about others and their needs

Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Some good pointers! Rain Forest is also a difficult spot for others who have difficulties with loud noises - made that mistake with someone who had Alzheimer's but there are other conditions that could make this a difficult spot!

Still, I'm sure it was nice to get together with a friend!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: