Quantcast How do you feel about an adults only designates building in one of the resorts?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you feel about an adults only designates building in one of the resorts?

I'm just wondering about everyone's thoughts on an adults-only designated building in one of the resorts.

When we were there in February (POR) we were awakened every morning at 6am by screaming, running, ball bouncing kids. My Father-in-law just about had a coronary every day freaking out about the noise and the "terribly behaved children with no adult supervision." We've only encountered this on rare occasions before, but on this trip it was every single day (and was different families as well). We were all adults with no kids in 2 separate rooms and thought that it would be a good idea to have an adults only or "quiet" building designated in one of the resorts. POR or CS would be good for this purpose as the buildings are smaller and more self contained. They could even use one of the far away buildings that nobody ever wants to stay in. We mentioned this to about 10 couples when we were down there and everyone loved the idea. Maybe they were just humouring us though!! What do you guys think?

I wrote to Disney when we got home but never heard back from them. I didn't really expect to though.

Have a great day and thanks for your input!!
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it's the luck of the draw, sad to say.

Did you address this with Disney Management on site? If you were to mention it every day, it might get you at least moved to a different location, one perhaps with fewer children that age (since they're supposed to know the age of the children anyway).

My opinion is that Disney would not create an Adults-only section of a family resort ... goes against the family nature of the place.

However, it might be something for them to allocate space based on age -- younglings together, tweens, teens ... with solo adults on the teen arena. Perhaps that would work.

Keep writing them until you get a response, or call them likewise. Someone will value the business. Go up the 'chain' if they don't respond. Someone will.
    Last edited by btharvey; 05-23-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: adding another comment

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see that working well. How would you accomplish it in the resorts that are all one building - Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, and The Contemporary (especially Contemp where people pay vastly different rates for certain views and locations)? Do you "punish" those who have children or those who don't by allotting them the "worse" locations? You also can't segregate based on the ages of the children. I know plenty of families who have children in their late teens / early 20's and young children / toddlers / infants. And parties who are traveling together aren't going to like being separated because family A has teens, family B has pre-teens, and family C has infants and toddlers. Plus, it's not only children who are noisy and messy. My kids have been schooled to know that they have to be quiet in the resort between 10p and 8a and that we are neat and clean and respectful of the property while we are there. We have come across some highly obnoxious "adult-only" parties in our time at WDW, especially those who have done the Drink Around The World at Epcot thing.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adults only

I don't know... it sounds too exclusive. I mean it's Disney World and kids are probably going to be running around crazy whether or not you have an exclusive area. Its hard to control that in a place designed primarily for kids.

wdw1985

Post Thanks / Like

I always expect kids at Disney World, and though there are some noisy ones, they usually enhance my Disney experience, even when I'm not traveling with my own. I can't imagine Disney World, of all places, making adult only areas in resorts. There are some experiences that cater to adults, true, but to make a resort area an adult-only space seems extreme and counter to the whole idea of Disney. Actually, in resorts, I've had more bad experiences with noise and disruption from other adults. And there's nothing to be done about that until it happens, and sometimes even then. I just try to relax and not let things get to me when I'm at WDW.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

When you go to Disney you have to expect kids! My kids are now grown so we no longer go there with young kids, however, the young kids do not bother me at all. I love seeing them have a good time. Sometimes people seem to forget that their kids were young once also.

When I'm at WDW nothing bothers me!!!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Although personally I would love it and book there, Disney would never do it. Not because they want to be "family freindly," but because of money. Let's say a resort has 1000 rooms, 900 family and 100 adult. If 950 families want to book, and only 50 adults want to book, Disney would not want those last 50 rooms to be empty.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

From a marketing point of view it is a great idea. Specialization and targeting create interest and increase demand.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get what you're saying...not that EVERY resort has to offer "adult only" buildings/areas, just have the option available SOMEWHERE. I mean, they offer that on Disney Cruises...why not offer it at WDW. I see a lot of marketing from Disney stating how it's "not just for kids" to entice couples to vacation there. I'm not saying I'd choose that option ALL the time, but I would definitely consider it for a romantic getaway.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have kids yet and have not traveled with any since I was one but for me it enhances my Disney experience to see the little ones enjoying themselves. Everywhere you go there are going to be some that the parents have not taught to behave properly in public areas, but I find this bothers me more in other places than at Disney. There I expect the noise as the kids are excited and ready to go before the parents and it makes me look forward to the time when I will have my own to bring.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be a good idea and I have three loud boys! LOL I am always telling them when we are in the room that others are sleeping and to be quiet. I don't allow them to run around the resort or scream because I want them to be respectful of others. With that being said I have encountered really loud kids playing ball outside of our door when we were trying to sleep and it bothered us. I can only imagine how people who don't travel with kids must feel.
    Maybe instead of a designated area Disney could build a resort exclusive to adults. It would be a good place for the honeymooners to go as well. I know it would never happen because of costs but its not a bad idea.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Reading your post, this seems to be the issue--
    the "terribly behaved children with no adult supervision."
    As a parent of three young ones, I do have an issue with that kind of thing to, but then it happens everywhere, where to draw the line of annoying or just excited? Loud for you may be reasonable to me.
    Just some random thoughts:
    quiet pools--quiet buildings? And how did that work for Amtrak--the quiet car--no cell phones? (A woman was recently removed for talking 16 hours straight on a cell phone in a quiet car)

Groupings of guests--rooms seem to be randomly assigned, could groupings be done--mainly adults in a bldg etc. Personally hate that idea as I don't abdicate my responsibility of my children to others and don't want to be grouped with others that do. But then, adult groupings would handle those adults that spill their beverages on my kids because they can't see straight

There is never one particular group that is a problem; where has consideration of others gone to? Talk about a rock and a hard place.
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I think I get the spirit of the original post. Under the right (or, rather, WRONG) set of circumstances, your WDW vacation experience could be severely negatively affected by consistent excessive noise. You might infer from my screen name I could go for an idea like this, but practically speaking it doesn't appeal to me.

First of all we're just talking about accommodations here. The parks, water parks and (non-quiet) pools are great places for kids to cut loose.

The real issue, for me, is the noise in the hotel rooms, hallways and other nearby areas in the late evening and early morning and not the age of the source of the racket. Some people might appreciate a quiet building just as some might prefer to swim and sun bathe at the quiet pool.

As for me, I specifically go to WDW when I know most kids will be in school, not to avoid kids so much as to avoid crowds in general. I try to request buildings and rooms far away from the registration and are not on the way to anywhere to reduce foot traffic in front of my door.

Also, I'll bet some resorts are louder than others. My last stay at the WL was a bit louder than my last one at the Poly, probably due to configuration of the hotel and the WL having all of those bunk bed rooms which are ideal for families.

If you have a problem with noise try the CMs at registration; they might be able to help before your vacation takes a turn.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I always expect kids at Disney World, and though there are some noisy ones, they usually enhance my Disney experience, even when I'm not traveling with my own. I can't imagine Disney World, of all places, making adult only areas in resorts. There are some experiences that cater to adults, true, but to make a resort area an adult-only space seems extreme and counter to the whole idea of Disney. Actually, in resorts, I've had more bad experiences with noise and disruption from other adults. And there's nothing to be done about that until it happens, and sometimes even then. I just try to relax and not let things get to me when I'm at WDW.
    My thoughts exactly
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the intent of the original post. But as others have said, many times it's not the children who cause the most headaches at the resorts. Quite often, it's rude adults, as well. So even at an adults-only area of a resort (if they were to create one), you might not get the results you're hoping for.

Someone mentioned it's really a luck of the draw, and I agree with that. You hope you're staying in a room near families who are respectful of others.

Post Thanks / Like

If they made one entire resort adults-only, I bet the nightlife there would be the loudest of any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm curious....doesn't Disney go to a lot of effort marketing "adult only" features for Disney cruises? How would offering something similar at the resort be so different? I get that WDW is about kids, and I enjoy that, don't get me wrong. It seems to work well with the cruises & Castaway Key, so why not incorporate something along those lines at WDW?

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad idea, but I don't see it happening...Disney makes most of their money from people with kids, it is a theme park

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

maybe possibly. i know its for families but i did use to like Pleasure Island being for adults. it would b a good option
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not for it...most of the noise problems we have had at WDW (with the exception of some cheerleaders at all star sports) have come from adults (or at least people who were legally considered to be adults).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: