Quantcast Seven Tips for Dealing with Rope Drop & Toy Story Mania - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We did all those 7 things on our first trip to DHS after Toy Story Mania opened and we were able to ride twice the first hour there.
    Diane

Past trips to WDW:
    12/12 CBR with free dining
    5/10 CBR with free dining
    4/09 CBR couples only trip for 20th anniv.
    9/08 Pop with free dining
    5/07 Pop
    4/05 Pop
    12/04 Pop
    4/04 Pop
    12/02 AS Sports
    4/02 AS Movies
    3/00 Ft. Wilderness Cabins

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say we used these tips this morning, which was officially the start of pre-Easter week. We got to the park at about 8:30 and moved to the far right of "the mob." The park opened 10 minutes early, and by 9 am we were riding TSM, having breezed through the line. Amazing!
    Thanks so much, Intercotees! Couldn't have done it without you.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity - if our group decides to head straight to ToT & RNRC first instead of TSM, if I return to TSM in about an hour - do you think the huge "FP" group will be gone (meaning I won't have to stand in line for 30 minutes trying to get a FP?). We will be there on a Sunday at the end of April and there is NO Fantasmic showing that day OR EMH's in the am or pm. Hopefully if we wait until around 10am or so to get our FP, the return time won't be too awful. Thoughts anyone?
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

When we were there a week or so ago, we intended to get to HS for rope drop, but that just didn't happen. We got to TSM and got in line at 9:10, and the standby wait was already an hour, but the FP lines were so crazy we decided to just go ahead with standby. Since we had never done TSM before, the queue theming was interesting enough that the time really passed quickly, and it was worth it.

By the time we got off the ride, it was about 10:30, and the mob at the FP machines was gone (no lines at all). We went ahead and got FPs then with a return time of 4:30.

So, this whole story is to say that if you get over to TSM around 10:00, you should still be able to get FPs but they will be for later in the afternoon/early evening. If you plan to stay at HS most of the day, this shouldn't be a problem for you. Hope that helps!

Katie
    January 1990 - Grosvenor
    October 2003 - CBR - Honeymoon!
    March 2006 - POFQ
    March 2007 - offsite and CBR
    March 2010 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    Out of curiosity - if our group decides to head straight to ToT & RNRC first instead of TSM, if I return to TSM in about an hour - do you think the huge "FP" group will be gone (meaning I won't have to stand in line for 30 minutes trying to get a FP?). We will be there on a Sunday at the end of April and there is NO Fantasmic showing that day OR EMH's in the am or pm. Hopefully if we wait until around 10am or so to get our FP, the return time won't be too awful. Thoughts anyone?
    The queus at the Fast Pass machines will probably be gone if you come back at 10 a.m. or so. If you don't mind getting a Fast Pass for 3 p.m. or later, then that is a good option.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    The queus at the Fast Pass machines will probably be gone if you come back at 10 a.m. or so. If you don't mind getting a Fast Pass for 3 p.m. or later, then that is a good option.
    Thanks Beth. I think that's what we'll end up doing then. We'll be there most of the day and don't mind waiting - I just don't want to start our day off with "the Mob" - LOL.
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

With the addition this month of the new Rex game - expect even longer lines at Toy Story Mania as the Florida regulars and Cast Members will be riding to check out something new.

My advice is to get to the Hollywood Studios first thing in the morning, ride twice in the first hour and never have to worry about a long wait.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for providing such detailed instructions. A good strategy is so important...especially during busy times.

Post Thanks / Like

In the past, we've always gone to ToT and RnRC first. Gotten a FP for one, and then gotten in the standby line for the other. How does this mob rush to TSM affect the lines for those two?

If we follow this plan to do TSM first, will the lines for ToT and RnRC be long by the time we get over there? And how soon can we get a FP for either ToT and RnRC if we've gotten one for TSM first?

The last trip, we ended up at TSM after the other two (about 10-11am) and the FP return was about 5pm that day. We really would like to do TSM, but without waiting around all day in a park we're normally done with by 3pm.

Post Thanks / Like

When we go to Toy Story Mania using this plan- we always make sure that we are one of the first ones at the front of the mob.

This way, within two minutes of arriving at Toy Story Mania, we get our Fast Passes ( which we use one hour later). With Fast Passes in hand, we proceed directly through the standby line and get onto the ride with no wait .

After we exit the ride, we always go over to Rock N Roller Coaster. It is still very early at this point- the park has usually been open for about 15 mins - so we get in the standby line - and our wait has never been more than five or ten minutes.

When we exit Rock N Roller Coaster, we go over to the Tower of Terror- again: a minimal wait.

After riding those two- we go back to Toy Story Mania to use our Fast Pass from earlier. Upon exiting, we get another Toy Story Mania Fast Pass for later in the day.

This way we get to ride three major attractions in the first hour- plus we have a Toy Story Mania Fast Pass for the afternoon-- well worth arrivinng early.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

With the official start of the peak summer season and the addition of the new Rex and Trixie game in Toy Story Mania, cast members are reporting that the always-crowded attraction is experiencing even bigger crowds.

Get there early - it's worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

These are great tips! Clear and very helpful.

The last time we rode Toy Story Mania, we had to wait for nearly two hours.

I will be using these tips next time!

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to spend most of the day in the park the following plan has worked for us on the last several trips.

We always go toward ToT and RNRC first. We fastpass one and stand by for the other. Once we've ridden those two rides we head over and get fastpasses for TSM. Our fastpass return time is usually around 2pm. After getting our fastpasses we continue with other attractions in the park till lunch time. My family loves Sci Fi and request it on every trip and I usually try to get an ADR around 1ish so we often finish up lunch just in time for our TSM fastpass. If we've done everything else we want to do in the park we leave the park after TSM, which is around 2:30-3:00. This has worked for us since TSM opened. My family is just not fans of following the MOB.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the tips its a lot smarter than just booking it to the ride like i usually do
    Sept. 03-all star music
    Sept. 05-pop century
    Sept. 07-all star music
    Sept. 08-all star movies
    June 09-all star movies
    Next big trip sometime in 2011

Remember that there is no magic unlesss you believe in it

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some news:

There have been more than a small number of complaints that the Disney’s Hollywood Studios attraction Toy Story Midway Mania went down for maintenance right in the middle of summer. Not just that, but with Toy Story 3 still raking in big bucks at the box office, you would expect the attraction to be open for guests to experience a little of that synergy Disney is so famous for. So there must be a very good reason for it to be down right now.

August is technically Value Season, so the lighter crowds is a good time make some changes in the parks. Plus, with Star Tours going down in September, it’s a good plan to make any updates to the TSMM right now.

But wait? Didn’t they just add a new game? Indeed they did. And they did that overnight. This refurbishment is something more serious.

How serious? There were reports that a cast member was injured earlier in the year and this refurb is to implement changes, that is - gates, so that the same accident doesn’t occur again. They are now adding gates to the exit side of the loading dock. This will make sure that no guests or cast members could fall back into the track after the cars depart. My question is, how did Disney keep this so quiet? I don’t see anything about this injury on any boards.

The attraction is scheduled to return to operation August 28th, but check online to be sure it’s operating.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure there wasn't an injury (at least, I know people who work at TSMM, and I never heard anything). However, I would guess the gates are being built to prevent anything like that from happening
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I read before we went end of July, first of August that it was going to be closed right after we were there. We were glad it was stil open while we were there because DGDs had never been on it. It was the highlight of the day.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip. Although by the time I get there in December, everyone will have read this post and it will be a mob to the right but I hope to be able to experience it this time around.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cantgetenuf's post about Toy Story Mania this morning made me think of this thread. These tips really helped us when we went to DHS on our last trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Thank you for these great tips. We have never ridden TSM and are looking forward to it this October.

I have a question for rope-drop experts. We have never experienced a rope drop. How chaotic is it? Both my wife and DD8 hate claustrophobic crowds.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness