Quantcast Anyone ever fly into Tampa?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone ever fly into Tampa?

If we fly into Tampa instead of Orlando it will save us about $400. Has anyone ever flown into Tampa for a Disney vacation? How was it? How's the drive? Wondering if I should book the good Tampa fares or wait to see if the Orlando fares come down. We are flying in August. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Pros/Cons here:

Pro= airline fares are cheaper and I think it's about an hour and a half drive...I don't think it's more than 2 hours tops.

Con= Were you planning on renting a car? If you fly into Orlando and are staying at a WDW resort, you can use the Magic Express and WDW transportation while in WDW and save on the car rental. Just a thought...

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I agree with Princessgirls assessment. We usually figure about 30 minutes to get from the Orlando Airport to Disney.... 90 minutes to get there from the Tampa Airport. It's a nice airport. If you are renting a car, it's really not a big deal. Most of the trip is on interstate highways with 65/70 mph speed limits. I believe you have the added small bonus of having no tolls to pay on your way to Disney from the west! Have a nice trip....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I just read this and checked airfare for the 5 of us for November - flying into Tampa would save us $750
    Dec 1993 - FW
    Feb 2007 - FW & ASMus
    Jan 2008 - WL
    Dec 2009 - POFQ
    Oct 2010 - ASMov
    Aug 2011 - Wyndham Resort
    Mar 2012 - OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in Tampa. It's about 1.5 hours by car, depending on rush hour traffic.

Have you considered the cost of the rental car into your equation? Don't forget to add for gas too. That might make the two options closer in cost and it could affect the decision.

Other than that, TPA is a great airport and driving from Tampa to Orlando is not hard at all, it's Interstate all the way.

If you do decide to fly into Tampa, you may consider doing a day at Busch Gardens. It's pretty nice too.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count

Post Thanks / Like

We have done it and actually, prefer it sometimes. If you are just renting the car for the drive, and have a lot of passengers, it is more than worth the money and the drive isn't that long... Also, be wary of toll roads. We lucked out with a rental that included the Sunpass on our last trip.

Yes, you miss out on DME... but in reality, if you are doing the trip on a budget, it is absolutely worth considering...
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We've considered it but never actually done it, mostly due to the fact that it wouldn't have actually saved us money. By the time we factored in the ground transportation costs, it always would have cost us much more, especially when you consider that we don't normally rent a car. Even when we drive ourselves, we park at the resort and let Disney drive us around for the week. But if it works for you, I think it's a great option.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We usually fly into Tampa to visit relatives before Disney. This year, the flights are cheaper going into Orlando for us (from BDL in July). I've been watching Southwest like a hawk, waiting for their prices to Tampa to drop. They are usually about the same price, and we can borrow a car from my relatives.

Tampa airport is great, and it's a straight drive over to Disney. Not bad at all.

Kathy
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We've done Tampa twice and had good luck with it. Nice airport and good shops if you're into that.

Only word of caution is to have your rental car full a few miles from the airport. When you return it the airport sneaks up on you and there didn't seem to be any gas stations close to fill it up. Don't return your rental empty or it will double the cost of your car.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

We've done Tampa a few times, but only when we are visiting family in the Clearwater area along with a WDW trip. Nice airport and about 1 1/2 hour to WDW (if there is not a backup due to an accident on I-4).
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: