Quantcast Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, Part 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, Part 1

Hi all!

We've been back for over two weeks, and I'm going to try and get this trip report going. I started my online Masters program the day after we returned so all my "free" time is directed entirely at that. It's hard to work full time, take care of 2 kids and go to school. Ugh. So I'll do my best, but it may take some time to get the whole trip in.

I'll start with the link to my pre-trip report.

The basic Info...
    Who
    • Me
    • DH (My lovely husband, not the biggest Disney Fan)
    • DD1 (age- 4, her 4th trip to WDW)
    • DD2 (age-18 months, her 1st trip to WDW)
    • DP (Dear Patriarch or Dear Papa – what the grandkids call my Dad)
    • DM (Pirate Granny here on the boards, my Mom and Buszia to the grandkids)
    • DS 1 (Dear Sister 1, my older sister)
    • DBIL (Dear Brother-in-law)
    • DN1 (Dear Nephew 1, age – 4, 2nd trip to WDW)
    • DN2 (Dear Nephew 2, age- 21 months, 1st trip to WDW)
    • DS2 (Dear Sister 2, my younger sister)

My family drove down after work on Friday 3/25, since we live 3 hours from the airport. I was so tired because I couldn't sleep after I finished packing (who does)! We stayed at an Embassy Suite where we could park our car for the week; once again I didn’t sleep well. The next morning went very smoothly. We got to the airport and through security with no troubles, and got everyone breakfast. The flight went fine, we were delayed for ~20 minutes, but we were able to catch up and we landed on time. The girls did great for all of this, and both were really excited! When we landed I got a message from my DS1 who said they were still eating at MCO’s food court. So we hustled on down and met up with my DS1 and her family. It wasn’t until we were on the DME that DD1 and DN1 started getting downright giddy. They were so cute together! On route, I found out from my DM that we didn’t get building 19, but 22 in the Miller’s Rd area. The one available in 19 had a leaky roof. Oh well. Everyone else was waiting for us as we pulled into OKW (1st stop)!

We decided to walk to the Grand Villa. It was a nice walk, a little too far to do it all the time, but not too bad. I loved the vibe of OKW! So pretty and laid back. It was so great to be at WDW! When we got to the “room” the kids were amazed. It was huge! I knew what it was going to be like (I do my research) but it was very pretty. I’ll give my feelings on OKW and the refurb of the rooms at the very end of my report. The kids just chased each other around the entire villa, there was so much room. We did end up with a “real crib” for DD2, and as such got to have the bigger upstairs bedroom – nice.

When we were finally ready we left for our first ADR at WCC in the WL. When we got there, my DS2 was holding my younger DD as she slept, so when she got off the bus I helped her put the little one down in the reclined stroller. After both DD2 and DN2 (we took only one double stroller – the big kids could easily walk around without one for the night) were in the stroller I started pushing the stroller away. When we got to the end of the make-shift bus area (the typical one was under construction) I noticed no one had DD1! Sure enough we look back and there she is, still standing at the bus stop. Boy did that freak me out – we left her behind! When we got off the bus I had made sure someone had DD1 (can’t remember who) but in the scramble, she must have let go of their hand, and then not followed. I felt so bad! Lesson learned; DO NOT assume someone else is going to be in charge of your child unless it had been specifically arranged. DD1 was fine, but it really upset me. I felt like a horrible Mom.

Anyways, I didn’t have much time to be upset as just moments later the stroller (Graco Duorider, very old) broke. No way to fix it. Mind you this was my DS’s stroller, but it was identical to ours, so that kind of freaked me out. My DM and I spent the next hour calling stroller rental companies and Babies R Us to find a replacement for the week. We got one from Magic Strollers- they were awesome and had the rental stroller (a City Mini Double- LOVED IT) delivered that night, and the rain cover delivered the next day.
    The kids played at the playground before dinner, and looked around the lobby. Family friends met us for dinner so we had a party of 13. Sadly, we were placed between the main room and the back room in a corner. It worked out ok, and the little ones still got to participate in the horsey race. DD2 woke up from her nap cranky, so I had to hold her the whole dinner, and I barely got to eat. I did enjoy my milkshake- but I couldn’t get a refill, as that was all DD2 was interested in. When dinner ended the kids checked out the start of the stream in the lobby, then we took the boat to MK and a bus home. Whoa. What a night. It was almost too much! The kids did great, but were a little cranky. We decided to let them sleep in the next day instead of trying to make it to rope drop at MK… And I finally got a good night’s rest. Seriously.
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple little bumps but sounds like everyone was doing better- can't wait to read the rest of your reports. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, a broken stroller was certainly an unexpecgted glitch!

Old Key West sounds wonderful!

Can't wait to read more!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default I know what you mean !!!

When we were there, on Feb. 28th thru Mar. 5th
    we were leaving EPCOT, when a Stroller broke in front of us. It was a Twin Stroller, and The Dad was carrying, a three year old, and Mom was 6 months pregnant, We offered our help, and my wife and me carried the twin boys, and parts of the stroller, while the mom, pushed the rest of the stroller. we got them to the bus stop ( pop ) and they had friends there that "took over" for us, but we would have seen them "home" if needed
    ASmu SEPT. 1996
    ASmu SEPT. 2003
    POP DEC. 2004
    ASmu SEPT. 2005
    ASmu SEPT. 2006 40TH WEDDING ANNIV.
    MNSSHP SEPT. 22
    ILLUMINATIONS CRUISE SEPT. 23
    SEPT. 25 CALIFORNIA GRILL
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    ASmu FEB. 2011 RETIREMENT CELEBRATION
    ASmu April 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We offered our help
    That was so nice of you!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

I love family vacations together and I'm anxious for the rest of your report.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Been looking forward to your return!

On the bright side, I'm happy to hear that the flight was uneventful & everything went as planned. From the brief description you gave, it sounds like the Grand Villa was a great place for your clan to stay at.

Bummer x 10 about the stroller. Thank goodness you were able to find a replacement in short order.

I noticed no one had DD1! Sure enough we look back and there she is, still standing at the bus stop. Boy did that freak me out – we left her behind! When we got off the bus I had made sure someone had DD1 (can’t remember who) but in the scramble, she must have let go of their hand, and then not followed. I felt so bad! Lesson learned; DO NOT assume someone else is going to be in charge of your child unless it had been specifically arranged. DD1 was fine, but it really upset me. I felt like a horrible Mom.
    At one point or another, we've all done it. Don't beat yourself up! Hopefully this didn't deter you from having a fun time at Whispering Canyon. It doesn't sound like you got to enjoy a whole lotta food, though!

Good idea of sleeping in tomorrow - even if travel is uneventful, it sure can be stressful!

Looking forward to Day 2's report.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

After the few minor problems, sounds like a good start to your trip

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

a couple bumps in the road..its bound to happen..but sounds like otherwise it was a great day getting there and having dinner at WCC!! cant wait to read the rest..
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, a few bumps . . . but nothing can be the feeling of being in the World!
    Looking forward to the rest of the report!
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

In spite of a few bumps...a great day!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Report!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not".

Dr. Seuss - The Lorax

Post Thanks / Like

Just being in WDW helps smooth those bumps over, doesn't it? What a crowd you have - sounds like you're going to have a great trip!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

What a start! When that happens you know everything else is going to be uphill!
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, Part 1

What a busy hectic day but so nice to finally be there. The grand villa sounds so nice!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: