Quantcast Most 'out-of-place' place @ WDW? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

Discovery River Boats! Thank goodness they are no longer in existence! That was the most unDisney experience at Disney World. We waited for an hour in the hot sun then felt like we were trapped during the ride on a boat to nowhere with nothing to see.
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    10 Day vacation

6 of those days we'll be at AK at some point. Usually at least 4 days we'll be at Epcot.
    We'll spend maybe 1/2 of a day at MK before we get sick of it, and try to make it to MGM once for Fantasmic if possible.

Still visit AK frequently, been going back since it opened. I get that people don't get it, doesn't really bother me too much. To each his/her own.

In terms of Theme Parks, I think AK is top of the list. No other park that I've been to is THEMED as well as AK. Might not be everyone's favorite theme, but they did a good job overall.
    We don't spend as much time in AK, and genuinely enjoy all 4 parks, but I completely agree that this is the best THEMED park, even if it is lacking rides and such. And the rides that are offered, IMO, are top notch! I love the feeling of being in AK, there is a lot of attention to detail, which is Disney standard. Even if it isn't a crowd favorite or does not offer tons of attractions, I would never say it wasn't up to par! Also, I always look at it as the park is still growing. When MK was built it was much smaller than it is now, give it time
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post

My pick would also be all the closed shops and restaurants all around the parks. Bad show, very bad show.
    Oooh I agree. The old Odyssey restaurant in Epcot kind of creeps me out. A few years ago, my mom and I walked past and the doors were open. Apparently you can still go in there to use the bathrooms!
    If we can dream it, then we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it seems like a curse to view everything through an adult's eyes.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Totally agree with the Swan and Dead Carp (Dolphin) hotels. Ugly, and why doesn't that fish look like a dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    Oh, the Swan and Dolphin REALLY bother me!!!! They spoil the view in Epcot and destroy the Boarwalk/Beach Club view as well. And what is the deal with the fish/dolphin????
    Time out for an informative post:

When the Dolphin Resort was designed by Michael Graves, it was with the idea that everyones interpretation would be different. For instance the draping inside could be interpreted as a cabana, a circus tent, an arabian night, I always felt like a genie in a bottle, etc. It's all post modern architecture that is nothing more than subliminal storytelling meant to be imaginative..

The Dolphin you see represented on the outside is the way dolphins were interpreted in ancient times... dating back to the Romans. The mariners would come back from their journeys telling stories of how dolphins would guide their ships. Illustrators, having never seen a dolphin, tried to depict them as best they could (using their imaginations) in their art. Because it was from the sea, they would imagine them as fish having scales rather than the dolphin we all know and love today.

Some people will claim it's a mahi mahi or dolphin fish, but again.. these do not look the same a the fish we see on the Dolphin Resort.

You can see many variations of this fish throughout the art and architectural world even today. As in this lovely Oscar de la Renta Dolphin table..

(Now, back to the real thread..)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ai, yi, yi...

Is there any point in the universe to discussing who thinks what about the appearance of the Swan and Dolphin hotels at Walt Disney World? They’ve been at Walt Disney World and fine places to stay while visiting Walt Disney World longer than most of us have been visiting Walt Disney World.

I only wish I could someday design and create something as successful as these hotels. I wish I were right now sitting by the pool at the Swan or Dolphin thinking how great it is to be at Walt Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Im taking a different spin on things and going to say all the gift shops. Seriously do we need a gift shop every 10 feet selling the same exact stuff?

I know its always been a huge part of disney and i get myself a little souvenir from every trip to remember, but wouldnt more attractions even if they are small be better? Maybe these shops could be themed better like Olivander's wand shop and make them interactive? It might even help disperse the lines on the rides a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I know I will get blasted for saying this, but to me it is the smoking area right across from Aloha Isle. It is hot and you are in the mood for a tropical refreshment and while waiting in line to get it all you can smell is smoke. Kind of takes away from the tropical atmosphere and then once you get your pineapple float you can't find a place to sit and enjoy without smoke.

I understand smoking areas are needed for those who choose to smoke but there has to be a better place than here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    Is there any point in the universe to discussing who thinks what about the appearance of the Swan and Dolphin hotels at Walt Disney World?
    Well, yes, considering that this thread is asking what people think is the most out of place thing at Walt Disney World, there is a point in discussing this. Many people think they look out of place. That's all.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have voted several times but another vote for the smoking area by aloha isle! I definitely noticed that last time and it took away from my dole whip experience. I always get the dole whip at aloha isle and it would be so nice to enjoy it in the tropical setting without inhaling smoke...ugh.
    Polynesian- 1985
    Polynesian- 1987
    Polynesian- 1989
    Polynesian- 1990
    Polynesian- 1993
    Polynesian- 1996
    Polynesian- 2001
    Polynesian- 2006
    Yacht Club- 2007 (surprise!)
    Beach Club- 2008 (august...yeah!)
    Beach Club Villas- 2009 (the whole family)
    Polynesian- 2011 (september- HONEYMOON!)

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the 'gravesite' in front of Epcot and the African Outpost. So strange.

I would have also added the ghost town across from pop if this thread was started earlier.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: