Quantcast Disney Animation is closing the book on fairy tales - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No more fairytales?

I just read an article in our local newspaper, and I am very upset. It states that Disney has announced that Tangled will be their last fairytale; that they do not foresee any coming for a while. Isn't fairytales what Disney is about? They also talked about making movies for a gender-neutral audience, because Princesses appeal only to girls. But doesn't Cars mostly appeal to boys? Disney is about making dreams come true, for all kids of all ages. Speaking for myself when I was a child, I had no interest in watching 'boy movies'. There had to be a princess or female character involved. They are shoving girls aside by trying to make all of the movies neutral.This has made me very disappointed. Has anyone else read about this?
    Disney dreaming in progress....

April 2016- Polynesian!

May 2014- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

August 2010- Polynesian!

May 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

July 2008- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, the article was started by the LA Times and has already been confirmed by Disney that it is not true. From Disney's Official Facebook page and also from the same person (Ed Catmull) quoted in the original article:

A headline in today’s LA Times erroneously reported that the Disney fairy tale is a thing of the past, but I feel it is important to set the record straight that they are alive and well at Disney and continue this week with Tangled, a contemporary retelling of a much loved story. We have a number of projects in development with new twists that audiences will be able to enjoy for many years to come. - Ed Catmull
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

That statement is damage control. There is no detail or mention of any fairy tales after Tangled. I'm SURE there are other projects happening, but they don't say they are fairytales...

Post Thanks / Like

I like both kinds of movies but I am at a loss what other fairy tales have they not done? Is there one that you would like to see or that you feel has been ignored? In my opinion the best movies they have done recently have been the Pixar style non fairy tale themes like TS3 and my fav Nemo.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dznygrl79 View Post
    I like both kinds of movies but I am at a loss what other fairy tales have they not done? Is there one that you would like to see or that you feel has been ignored? In my opinion the best movies they have done recently have been the Pixar style non fairy tale themes like TS3 and my fav Nemo.
    There are numerous fairy tales not yet 'attacked' by Disney in a movie format - Rumplestiltzkin, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, etc.

Also, once the fairy tales have been thoroughly vetted, they could go on to Aesop's Fables, different mythologies (Hercules was one, to start,) and the like.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Well....after Tangled had a first week that far surpassed everyone's expectations, including Disney's, that may change...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to gorilla marketing! This may be a publicity stunt to get more people to see Tangled!

I really do not foresee Disney running away from fairy tales anytime soon, considering the movie Tangled was originally called Rapunzel Unbraided. Disney changed the name to appeal to a broader audience. Given the box office numbers from the weekend, they just might have hit on a magic formula to make fairy tales appeal to a broad audience.

For that matter some of Disney's fairy tales are not so obvious. Movies like Lady and the Tramp, and to a certain extent Wall-E fit the fairy tale mold.
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Well....after Tangled had a first week that far surpassed everyone's expectations, including Disney's, that may change...

Quote Originally Posted by tazlikesrobots View Post
    Welcome to gorilla marketing! This may be a publicity stunt to get more people to see Tangled!

I really do not foresee Disney running away from fairy tales anytime soon, considering the movie Tangled was originally called Rapunzel Unbraided. Disney changed the name to appeal to a broader audience. Given the box office numbers from the weekend, they just might have hit on a magic formula to make fairy tales appeal to a broad audience.

For that matter some of Disney's fairy tales are not so obvious. Movies like Lady and the Tramp, and to a certain extent Wall-E fit the fairy tale mold.
    I think I am going to disagree here. I think Tangled having some success in Week 1, and for sure going to see a nice drop off in Week 2, will only confirm Disney's move away from fairy tale/princess-centric movies. Tangled was marketed as a movie for BOYS and GIRLS. Princess movies are geared for girls. Disney will not look at the mild success and say "Hey, boys love fairy tales." Nope. They will look at it and say "See, if we make movies that are not princess-driven, we will get the boys in the audience."

I, for one, want to see Disney move away from fairy tales and do more movies like How to Train Your Dragon. A movie for BOTH boys and girls, adult and child. I'm an adult male and I would never go see any Disney princess movie in the theater.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Funny how they retracted the statement and twisted around the wording in the retraction. Does Disney actually think it's fans are that stupid?
    Yes. And sadly, may a Disney fan proves Disney right for thinking this way.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

I think when they see what people are saying and thinking about Tangled...they will end up going back to the telling of fairy tales....
    Tangled is going to be a classic. It is a great story told very well. After watching it I literally felt like I had just seen The Little Mermaid and immediately wanted to go and see it again. I haven't felt that way about a Princess movie in a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG time.
    I think they are wrong for stating that 5 and 6 year olds are just into being pretty and cool like the Disney channel even portrays.....but it's that kind of stuff that parents with children those ages are trying to prevent their children from seeing. I know many 5 year olds that are not allowed to watch Hannah Montana or Selena Gomez etc. There is no reason why a 5 year old is watching that. THey are growing up way too fast.....There is no need.
    Stick with the wonderful storytelling that Pixar/Disney has been doing.....fairy tales and all!!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    There are numerous fairy tales not yet 'attacked' by Disney in a movie format - Rumplestiltzkin, Hansel & Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood, etc.

Also, once the fairy tales have been thoroughly vetted, they could go on to Aesop's Fables, different mythologies (Hercules was one, to start,) and the like.
    True I guess there is enough to some of them to make a feature length movie.Aesop may be interesting but they are not my cuppa. Hercules was an excellent movie. I would like more original tales.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BellesRose;2120763]I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that true? By the time a little girl is 5, she's no longer interested in princesses? I know I'm still in love with fairy tales at age 22.

I have to agree with you! Plus if the princesses only appeal to girls between ages 0-6 why oh why are they doing a huge fl expansion with nothing but princesses?
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

You know, to me, if John Lassetter is saying this, there is some validity to it.

It is very hard to do a traditional fairy tale in this day and age. At least, at this point in time. The old style fairy tale involves a "damsel in distress." The "girl empowerment" has taken that aspect away. So, with that gone, how many "spunky teen" movies can you have? One will start to rehash what has come before and the movies will be become shadows of themselves.

Walt always was about going to the next thing. What is the next thing? I would trust John Lassetter with this assessment.

Post Thanks / Like

Also something else to consider, Sleeping Beauty was released in 1959. The Little Mermaid was released in 1989. There is a thirty year break between fairy tale movies in the Disney cannon. The company still made animated films but none of them were fairy tales. So, Disney not releasing a fairy tale movie is not unprecedented.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic Kingdom-The Movie

Just ran across this...
    Jon Favreau discusses his next project, a movie based on Disney’s ‘Magic Kingdom,’ and explains why he is excited to work on the project and what ideas he has for the story.Disney has several famous historical attractions they knew could make for potential movie franchises due of their brand recognition and familiarity with the general public. They started with a bang and capitalized on the public’s nostalgia in adapting the Pirates of the Caribbean ride into one of the biggest movie franchises in history. Disney is also turning other key attractions into films, hoping to mimic those same results.

Some of these include movies based on the Jungle Cruise and Tiki Room attractions, as well as upcoming remakes of Haunted Mansion and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Favreau has the daunting task of pulling inspiration for Magic Kingdom from all of those attractions and more into a single feature film. He is however, very aware of the fact that Disney’s theme parks conjure pleasant memories for most adults of their childhood and plans on taking that into account when making the movie.

CBR - June 01
    Ft. Wilderness March 03
    POR March 05
    Ft. Wilderness - May 06
    Wilderness Lodge March 07
    Coronado Springs Jan 08

Post Thanks / Like

What?????? Uh, Disney not doing animation and fairy tales? Well, phooey on that!!

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Disney isn't taking a break from animation. They're spreading out, but they're still going to do some princess movies.

In March 2011, Disney is releasing "Mars Needs Moms" based on the story by Berkely Breathed. They're distributors, not creators, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Also in 2011, there will be "Cars 2" and a hand-drawn Winnie the Pooh movie.

In June 2012, they will release "Brave," an animated movie about a Scottish princess who dreams of being an archer. Reese Witherspoon will voice the princess.

Later in 2012, they will release "King of the Elves," also an animated fantasy movie, based on a story by Philip Dick.

They'll also release a full length stop-motion version of "Frakenweenie" developed by Tim Burton for Disney.

Sometime in 2012, there will be "Monsters Inc. 2 movie" from Pixar.

There's a movie based on Maleficant's POV in development for 2013. Burton denies that he is working on it, but the rumor is that he is the writer/director.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentP View Post
    Kindergarten teacher and mother of a four year old daughter here. This statement is absolutely wrong. 5 and 6 year olds are absolutely interested in being princesses. They also play house, pretend they are puppy dogs and hide stuffed animals in their backpacks. The world may have changed, but for the most part kids are still kids as long as we allow them to be. It worries me that Disney execs don't realize this. Maybe they should visit a classroom.
    I'm also a kindergarten teacher and I totally agree that they are still interested in being princesses. We had a Polar Express pajama dress-up day for Christmas and just how many of my girls were in princess pj's - over 1/2 of them! One of them even wore a crown with hers!!! When they play dress-up they love to put on the princess costumes.
    I think there are a great number of parents who want to shelter their children from the "HOT" influences in tv and movies.

Several of my kindergarten boys went to see Tangled and loved it as much as the girls did SO maybe Disney's on the right track with putting more focus on the male in the storyline.

I hate to see Disney do away with fairy tales totally. I think they can rework them like they did with Tangled and be successful.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Honestly...maybe this is a good decision. The "fairy tale" market is already over saturated. These stories just don't carry the same impact as they used to. Perhaps after a break, it will again become something people are interested in.
    Agreed, fairy tales just aren't the same as the "classics."
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crltkcagle;2123318]
    Quote Originally Posted by BellesRose View Post
    I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that true? By the time a little girl is 5, she's no longer interested in princesses? I know I'm still in love with fairy tales at age 22.

I have to agree with you! Plus if the princesses only appeal to girls between ages 0-6 why oh why are they doing a huge fl expansion with nothing but princesses?
    Last month we took our daughter to WDW for her 21st birthday. One of the first things she bought was a princess tiara...she wore it most of the weekend.
    Love of princesses is a state of mind and certainly doesn't have an age limit.

The same can also be said for shortsighted corporate greed.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: