Quantcast Security Guards - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security Guards

Post Thanks / Like

Serioulsy the bag checks are a joke. They should be called "false sense of Security Guards". What do they expect to find. If someone were carrying a weapon and planned to do evil the wouldnt they just move the item from their bag to their person. Any one with a explosives back ground could make one out of a stoller. I truly dont see a purpose for the bag check. There are a million ways to do bad things. Some guards look at everything some just stir as stated in previous posts. Realists understand the threats and possibilities and can still have a great time.
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKFD43 View Post
    Serioulsy the bag checks are a joke. They should be called "false sense of Security Guards". What do they expect to find. If someone were carrying a weapon and planned to do evil the wouldnt they just move the item from their bag to their person. Any one with a explosives back ground could make one out of a stoller. I truly dont see a purpose for the bag check. There are a million ways to do bad things. Some guards look at everything some just stir as stated in previous posts. Realists understand the threats and possibilities and can still have a great time.
    Problem with your premise is that you have no idea what they are actually have been instructed to look for.

If you would have the opportunity to see what they confiscate in a day, you would be quite surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Ehhem. I have been through security and the guards I have dealt with have almost always been professional. You have your bad apples. Everyone knows it is a joke including the bad guys.

Here is my experience when entering EPCOT during our honeymoon;

I always carry a knife, always without fail period. In fact I had to cut my way from a vehicle after an accident, so I always carry one. Item two, I have a valid CCW permit for the state of Florida and several other states. Everyday to this one day I always took my knife out of my pocket and leave it in the trunk. On this particular day we were in a hurry and I simply forgot to put it in the trunk.

A very nice security fella asked to see my knife since it was clipped on the inside of my front pocket. I pulled it out and handed it to him. Mind you he could not figure out how to open it because it has been modified to confuse anyone should they happen to gain it during a fight. He asked me to open in and I opened it part way. Not it is only 3 inches long and very very sharp. But I told him that was the really small one that I always carried.

The security guard told me they would like to check it and put it in a secure place for me. I said ok, and was led to a supervisor and to a place where things are stored securely, no I am not telling you where either. They put my name down on a clipboard, what the item was and gave me a receipt for pickup when I left the park. Several hours later we left the park and I picked up my knife with no hassle, and yes I saw the very long list of stuff Disney had checked in. It happens way more than you think, hundreds more each day in fact per park.

Everything was handled efficiently, without a show, and no issues. I have no complaints, hey the first guy was observant. And I have repeatedly stated on these and other boards that I have no need for a weapon inside the parks.

Now, destruction of property is another thing entirely. There is no call to destroy a guests package no matter what what rules may be in place. It is a thing called customer service. Every person that willing accepts that the searches are "for the greater good" is a ditz. Why? Because so many people are ready to give up liberties and freedoms on the off chance that a terrorist might "MIGHT" do something.

Realize this, if an attack is going to happen, it is going to happen. If someone wants a bomb to go off somewhere they will manage to do it. If someone wants to carry weapons inside an amusement park, it can be done and very easily. Like I said earlier it is a show, and we play along. But I do not agree that anyone is subject to destruction of private property "just because".

It is not hard for any guard to say we must open the box, please step over here while we open it. I know because I used to do security work professionally. It is bad business to destroy things that belong to people.

I suppose by some poster's comments that taking a hammer to people's personal items will eventually be ok as long as it gives them a sense of security.

All the security checkpoints are a joke at every park Disney and non-Disney. It is a way to look in your bags to see what you have. It is a hassle beyond words that does not need to exist because it offers no security. The most dangerous and effective weapon is your brain. And once people feel they need to be searched to feel secure, then the bad guys have won, they used their brains and scared us.

As for me, I will play along, knowing the truth. Putter on sheeple.

Feel free to flame me now, I will just read and laugh.
    Last edited by pjbs35a; 12-04-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, they don't do this to REALLY look in people's bags. They do it to SLOW DOWN and FUNNEL everyone in the same direction, so the non-uniformed security can OBSERVE the crowd.

I suppose, at times, the Security "Guards" at the bag check stations are instructed to go slowly, so that the "real" security guards can take their time to scan the crowd. When there are no crowds, and people are just trickling in, the bag checks tend to be more cursory. A quick glance and you're off. Just take notice of how, when they are SUPER thorough, there are usually WAY more people around.

Also, if YOU look or act suspicious, you can be sure your bag will be searched high and low. Not because they think they are going to find something, but because it is usually an individual's BEHAVIORS that give away malicious intent.

Honestly, folks, it's a screening procedure. It's not personal...but if your items get damaged, you are certainly within your rights to ask for a resolution.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post
    Ehhem. I have been through security and the guards I have dealt with have almost always been professional. You have your bad apples. Everyone knows it is a joke including the bad guys.

I always carry a knife, always without fail period. In fact I had to cut my way from a vehicle after an accident, so I always carry one. Item two, I have a valid CCW permit for the state of Florida and several other states. Everyday to this one day I always took my knife out of my pocket and leave it in the trunk. On this particular day we were in a hurry and I simply forgot to put it in the trunk.

A very nice security fella asked to see my knife since it was clipped on the inside of my front pocket. I pulled it out and handed it to him. Mind you he could not figure out how to open it because it has been modified to confuse anyone should they happen to gain it during a fight. He asked me to open in and I opened it part way. Not it is only 3 inches long and very very sharp. But I told him that was the really small one that I always carried.

The security guard told me they would like to check it and put it in a secure place for me. I said ok, and was led to a supervisor and to a place where things are stored securely, no I am not telling you where either. They put my name down on a clipboard, what the item was and gave me a receipt for pickup when I left the park. Several hours later we left the park and I picked up my knife with no hassle, and yes I saw the very long list of stuff Disney had checked in. It happens way more than you think, hundreds more each day in fact per park.

Everything was handled efficiently, without a show, and no issues. I have no complaints, hey the first guy was observant. And I have repeatedly stated on these and other boards that I have no need for a weapon inside the parks.

Now, destruction of property is another thing entirely. There is no call to destroy a guests package no matter what what rules may be in place. It is a thing called customer service. Every person that willing accepts that the searches are "for the greater good" is a ditz. Why? Because so many people are ready to give up liberties and freedoms on the off chance that a terrorist might "MIGHT" do something.

Realize this, if an attack is going to happen, it is going to happen. If someone wants a bomb to go off somewhere they will manage to do it. If someone wants to carry weapons inside an amusement park, it can be done and very easily. Like I said earlier it is a show, and we play along. But I do not agree that anyone is subject to destruction of private property "just because".

It is not hard for any guard to say we must open the box, please step over here while we open it. I know because I used to do security work professionally. It is bad business to destroy things that belong to people.

I suppose by some poster's comments that taking a hammer to people's personal items will eventually be ok as long as it gives them a sense of security.

All the security checkpoints are a joke at every park Disney and non-Disney. It is a way to look in your bags to see what you have. It is a hassle beyond words that does not need to exist because it offers no security. The most dangerous and effective weapon is your brain. And once people feel they need to be searched to feel secure, then the bad guys have won, they used their brains and scared us.

You'll get no flaming from me. The bagcheck process is worse than a joke. The idea that the intent is to slow everyone down to give the "real" security their chance to observe makes sense to a point but doesn't explain why at the same time one person is barely looking at the bags while the next guard is spending two minutes on one person.
    It is just another show to make people feel better. Anyone that really thinks it makes us safer is just choosing not to look at things clearly.
    Last edited by pjbs35a; 12-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

We almost think alike. I always carry a knife! Beside that a tac light if I know I am going to be out late. Do you think the TSA guards will hassle me because of the light? It does have the end cap(You know what I mean).

Thanks!
    Last edited by pjbs35a; 12-04-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Every person that willing accepts that the searches are "for the greater good" is a ditz. Why? Because so many people are ready to give up liberties and freedoms on the off chance that a terrorist might "MIGHT" do something.

No flaming, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If a quick search is going to reduce a chance of something happening I am fine with it.

I also think your reactions to situation can dictate what happens to you.

If I saw someone's package being torn up and I had one, you can guarantee that I would have stepped out of line,opened it myself, and then stepped back in line.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The bag checks are annoying but during my 2005 or 2006 trip I wanna say 2005, they found a woman trying to smuggle in a handgun, she did not have a permit for the weapon and put up an awful fight. Now I will say it would be better if there was more consistancy among the guards but I would rather have someone detered because there is a chance they could be caught.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

I could almost stomach them if the security guards were at least polite, and I don't mean stupid things like "Smile princess." Once again, they have let their pretend power go to their tiny brains. I thought they were employeed by Disney? Shouldn't they be held to the same "I'm earning my ears" standards as the other CMs? Just sayin'..........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BiloxiMom View Post
    I could almost stomach them if the security guards were at least polite, and I don't mean stupid things like "Smile princess." Once again, they have let their pretend power go to their tiny brains. I thought they were employeed by Disney? Shouldn't they be held to the same "I'm earning my ears" standards as the other CMs? Just sayin'..........
    Actually, if they had an "Earning my Ears" pin, I'd cut them some slack, they are new (in training). Otherwise, they should have earned their ears and should be abiding by Disney Standards without much thought.

Post Thanks / Like

True. They just aren't up to "Disney standards" in my opinion. They need to realize that I have spent lots of $$$ on a vacation, and I don't need their attitudes. I can have attitudes, for free, right at home. Is there anyone we can email about this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

I always carry a knife, always without fail period....it has been modified to confuse anyone should they happen to gain it during a fight.
    Dude, I see you're from Baltimore, but what kind of interactions do you have during a typical day???
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

Amen, brther! I feel the exact same way!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to cut them a break as it isn't a job I would ever want. The day has to crawl by.
    When asked in grade school what everyone wanted to be, nobody ever shot their hand up and shouted out, "Sister, I want to rummage through bags all day while standing on my feet."
    SteveL

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want them to root through your bags, pack a couple sanitary napkins in there and go to a male security guard. They will shoo you through real quick!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic, but I think it's a funny story and I'll try to keep it short.

I bought a small pocket knife for my dad for Christmas once and had it delivered to my office. I put it in my bag to take home, but forgot about it for a few days. At the same time I was reading a book on Adolf Hitler (the definitive bio, not a pro-Hitler book by any stretch, just to clarify), which also was usually in my bag. I also at the time had my head shaved.

One day I had to leave my office to walk over to Capitol Hill for a meeting, in the Senate office building. Just before I left my office I reached into my bag for something or other and fortunately stumbled upon the knife, (which I then put in my desk).

I can only imagine what would have happened had the metal detector on the Hill picked up the knife...and then the guard had found it and the book, and then looked at me with my shaved head.... lucky break! I'd probably be relaxing in Gitmo right now.....
    "You used all the glue on purpose!"

Post Thanks / Like

In response to several questions.

Yes, the TSA will confiscate the flashlight, put it in checked baggage..

I used to do security and bodyguard work for 10 years, old habits die hard once you are in this field of work. Hence I am always armed, even though I cannot and do not carry a firearm as I do not have an active Md CCW permit.

As I have said, I am a huge believer in Karma. What you do to others comes back at you eventually. A lot of people would be suprised that when you are nice instead of being rude or yelling, others are more apt to help you or go the extra distance for you.

I have interacted with many security staff at Disney, and many I will commend on their customer service skills. I have even interacted with OCSD as well, and their behavior is commendable as well. In fact, they will climb the walls to help you out.

I have also stated this many times before. I do not deem there to be a need to carry any weapon into a Disney theme park or any other Orlando park. If I felt I needed to, I would not be going. Leave whatever you have in the car. The list I saw did include firearms that were checked in as well. So, Disney will do this for you. Act like an adult with common sense and you will not have problems with either security or police.

Yeah there are people checking the crowd out when you enter, even before the checkpoints and even after. I do not buy that the security points are to allow them to do this. 9/11 gave them a reason to search bags, and everyplace on the planet took the opportunity to do so. It is a make believe feel good measure and that is it at best. AND it will do nothing to someone that can conceal stuff on their person.

You would not believe what I can conceal under a baggy t-shirt, or in my pants (don't let the dirty minds start y'all, it is a kid friendly site afterall). But it can be done. I have a false lining in one of my bags that always went through security at Disney with no detection of its existance. I am never truely unarmed anymore, I have my brain, and some ingenious self defense tools always on me.

Remember, when you give up too many rights, and you will not have any rights at all.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: