Quantcast How do you divide your must dos with trying new places?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you divide your must dos with trying new places?

I am planning our ADR's for May and all together we will be doing 11 TS meals. Only 5 are new places. I was hoping to squeeze in a few more new places but the favorites from last trip keep making their way back on the list.

We have only tried maybe 10 TS places so we have a lot left to try. Just curious how others divide it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We only have one absolute must per trip- California Grill. And I think we've been there enough that we're ready to put it on rotation-- which is what we do with most of our favorites, rotate them out per trip. We like to try about half new, half familiar favorites per trip, but it doesn't always average out neatly. If there are more new places we want to try, we'll sacrifice some old favorites until next time. Plus, it depends on location and where people want to go. Last trip, we repeated some familiar favorites (5), tried some new (5), and there were still a few favorites we had to leave off the list- but we found new favorites to add.

So the quick answer is half new, half favorites.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think half and half sounds like a good plan...we did almost all new last trip and found a few new favorites like LeCellier and Kona...also a couple we didn't really care for at all Marakesh and Tony's...so if you have some old favorites at least you know there will be some you like....

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I like to try new places. My kids prefer the old favorites.
    We also tend to be about 50/ 50 with new and favorites on each trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Browse the menus pages to try to find what hits you.
    Keep reading Intercot to find out what others like/dislike.
    Make sure you get your ADRs EARLY to avoid disappointment.
    We do not dine in the hotels often, that cuts into our park time too much.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Always love to do Kona.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

You're making a nice dent this next trip if you're trying five new locations!

We have our absolute must do's such as Mama Melrose, Sci-Fi, Chef Mickey's, Ohana, LeCellier, Crystal Palace & Whispering Canyon(tradition, don'tcha know) then there are the "new dining experiences", usually which equal two or three each trip. Since our absolute must do's are family favorites, we're never comfortable ditching them for possible disappointments, of which we've had more than a few! However, we always make it a point to add at least two new experiences each trip. Two of our newest eateries, Cape May Seafood Buffet & TRex, are making it back onto the list this year!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great question! I usually go through this every trip--however, this year we are doing the deluxe ddp (I'm celebrating my graduation from college!) with all those TS credit we'll be trying out a lot of new restaurants. Have ADRs for 3 specialty dining restaurants (Cali Grill, Narcoosees, & Citricos), plus CRT for breakfast and Hoop de Do. Other new restaurants for this trip include-La Hacienda (dinner and illuminations), Nine Dragons (lunch), and Kona for breakfast (finally going to have the Tonga Toast).
    For this trip we'll be eating at our favs for lunch such as Yak and Yeti, Le Cellier, Sci-Fi Diner, and Coral Reef. So lunch may be an option for you--that way you can squeeze in a couple more favorites!
    There are many of our favorite restaurants that did not make the list...we'll have to save them for another trip. It really can be hard to decide!
    Can you tell that food will be a b-i-g focus this December? Wherever you choose to dine will be delicious!
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dining choices

Well one thing we do is upgrade to the dlx plan. Although some may feel it's to much food, we tend to have TS for breakfast and dinner and a CS for lunch making it possible to do favs and try new places. We have our breakfast by 8am every morning, lunch around 1 and a late dinner. It seems to work out for us this way and we just LOVE all the places we get to try and redo!!
    -Marcy-
    Mom to: Katina Ann "TiTi" & Adrianna Jacey "AJ"

DLR/ Summer of 1988

7/26 - 8/2 2003- Off Site
    7/2 - 7/9 2006- CBR Jamacia
    11/21 - 12/1 2007- CBR Martinique
    11/18 - 11/28 2009- Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    You're making a nice dent this next trip if you're trying five new locations!

We have our absolute must do's such as Mama Melrose, Sci-Fi, Chef Mickey's, Ohana, LeCellier, Crystal Palace & Whispering Canyon(tradition, don'tcha know) then there are the "new dining experiences", usually which equal two or three each trip. Since our absolute must do's are family favorites, we're never comfortable ditching them for possible disappointments, of which we've had more than a few! However, we always make it a point to add at least two new experiences each trip. Two of our newest eateries, Cape May Seafood Buffet & TRex, are making it back onto the list this year!
    Just curious, what are your must do dishes at mama melrose's?

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We only have two must dos for each trip, Ohana's for dinner and a character breakfast. We have other favorites that we rotate from trip to trip, but we try to keep it 50/50. We have a trip coming up in March and my boys, 10 and 8, told me that we don't have to do a character meal this trip, so that'll leave open some room for something else new unless I decide that "I" have to have a character meal. LOL.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

That's really hard, and I had to face that when I made ADRs for my upcoming trip. I've been going to Akershus for the last 4 trips. I love the food, LOVE IT, and my DD really like the princesses. But we decided to try 1900 Park Faire for dinner, in addition to lunch at the Castle. We decided we didn't need 3 princess meals, so we're trying Garden Grill this time. The kids get Mickey and the gang, plus we get to try some new food. I'm SURE it' won't be as good as Akershus, but sometimes change has to happen.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

If we are paying OOP, we tend to do maybe 30% or so per trip as we want to make sure there are enough places that we feel are of good quality for the $$.

If we are getting free dining (as we have lucked out with on 4 of our last 7 trips!) we tend to do more new places - maybe half and half - since it doesn't really matter if it isn't our favorite - it's all good when it is free, lol!

Free dining has definitely allowed us to try a whole slew of new restaurants and for that we are very grateful!

In 10 days we will be trying 5 new restuarants... Sanaa, Kouzzina, Tutto Italia, Biergarten and Hollywood & Vine. Can't wait!!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I struggled with this issue a few years ago. On one trip, my desire to try out some of the places everyone raves about led me to make ADR's exclusively for signature dining that i had not tried yet. I stayed at a value resort to help support this dining adventure.

I really enjoyed it. But my family was less enthusiastic. They missed the fun and "comfort" of our favorite places. And i must say that trying something new every night was a little over the top. So now, while i still enjoy trying something new, i reserve over half my ressies for our old favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

I do every other day a new one, with a new place the first day to add to the excitement. It also matters on the location of all the new places you want to try, for example, you want to try 4 new countries for dinner, your not going to always want to end your nights at Epcot.
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: