Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring - Page 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    My goodness!
    If a ran naked through this thread yelling "Mickey Mouse is a short person in a costume!" would that help?
    I'm so waiting here with my camera!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    SBETigg
    Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Having been to Universal and Six Flags parks, there is NO COMPARISON to what Disney has to offer. Disney is not a destination. Disney is an immersion into a completely different world. Even on a day when we may encounter a cast member or two not giving their Disney best, IT IS STILL HANDS-DOWN an UNBELIEVABLY FUN PLACE TO BE.

We are planning our next trip to the Poly in the next couple of months....and our kids cannot wait to go!!!!
    I also find myself having the Disney vs Six Flags debate with friends and co-workers that have never been to Walt Disney World.

No matter how much explanation is given, some people think all theme parks are essentially the same. They have no idea how vastly superior Disney is compared to Six Flags. I also find it amusing how Six Flags tries to incorporate Disney ideas into their parks with little success. It's a shame that some people will never make the trip to Walt Disney World because "Six Flags is closer."

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This is one thread that has taken on a life of its own!

I'll weigh in -- above all the other parks, Magic Kingdom is quintessentially old school Disney magic, and there's just no way to put your finger on why the Disney magic touches some people but not others.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I used to say it has to do with my watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV on Sunday evenings. It was such a tradition in our house and I remember episodes where they'd show the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland and I was so fascinated by the animatronics. I grew up considering Walt Disney an icon but also someone I wished was my uncle.

But how do I explain the fact that my DDs -- who are 19 and 16 now -- love MK as much now as they did when they first visited in 1999?

Maybe it's just in their blood!
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrapper View Post
    Wow! This is one thread that has taken on a life of its own!

I'll weigh in -- above all the other parks, Magic Kingdom is quintessentially old school Disney magic, and there's just no way to put your finger on why the Disney magic touches some people but not others.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I used to say it has to do with my watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV on Sunday evenings. It was such a tradition in our house and I remember episodes where they'd show the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland and I was so fascinated by the animatronics. I grew up considering Walt Disney an icon but also someone I wished was my uncle.

But how do I explain the fact that my DDs -- who are 19 and 16 now -- love MK as much now as they did when they first visited in 1999?

Maybe it's just in their blood!
    Maybe you were able to impart upon them, what disney magic was when they were young.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

My son is 10 and still loves the "MAGIC". That's his favorite part. And, unfortunately, he is one of those video game playing fools. His favorite ride is still Pooh.

Post Thanks / Like

Every video game loving kid I know still can find the magic in the Magic Kingdom, but it's still a better park for the very little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SelfmadeWade View Post
    I also find myself having the Disney vs Six Flags debate with friends and co-workers that have never been to Walt Disney World.

No matter how much explanation is given, some people think all theme parks are essentially the same. They have no idea how vastly superior Disney is compared to Six Flags. I also find it amusing how Six Flags tries to incorporate Disney ideas into their parks with little success. It's a shame that some people will never make the trip to Walt Disney World because "Six Flags is closer."
    I noticed that the Six Flags park by me has added a night-time parade that is an attempt to be their version of Spectromagic. It is truly embarrassing.

I wonder if they sit in management meetings and go through each Disney park trying to figure out what to copy?
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    My goodness! Responding to this is like giving it a bump.

How do I give it a lump instead?

If a ran naked through this thread yelling "Mickey Mouse is a short person in a costume!" would that help?
    Not a bad idea...i think nudity is against Intercot's terms of use and would surely result in the thread being closed down...however it might also result in your being thrown in the Intercot cyber-jail...however, if such takes place I would gladly post bond for you...if so doing would put this rather tiresome thread out of its (and our) misery.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

My kids were very impressed but then they don't have cellphones and a lot of gadgets outside of their mp3 players. I think it depends on the kids. If the kids do imaginatitive play at home then I think it is more impressive. All I know is that my kids loved MK...I will admit one of my favorites at MK now is PhilharMagic!
    Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind...or forgotten. --Lilo

Past Trips:
    June 2001 - Off Property
    April 2009 - POR
    Next trip:
    Dec 5- Dec 12 OFFSITE

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love the MK, I do feel that it is a bit, for lack of a better word, hokey (I hope that makes sense). I mean, think about it. Jungle Cruise, Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Haunted Mansion, etc. They are all classic attractions that are beloved by many, but they all have elements that are just plain goofy. To me, that's a big part of the appeal, but I can see how kids at those ages, especially first-time visitors, might not care for it.

Then again, some people, regardless of age, are not excited by WDW. That seems unthinkable to a lot of Disney fans, but it's a simple fact that people like different things.

As an aside, I'm not sure how much modern technology (e.g. video games, mp3 players, cell phones) affects this generation of kids when it comes to being able to appreciate a place like the MK. I started playing video games at a very young age and have played them ever since then on a regular basis, and it has never caused me to not be able to enjoy what the MK and WDW in general has to offer.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

The Magic Kingom is still my favorite. I have been there many times and I enjoy it each time I go.
    Part of it is nostalgia part of it is the technology and efficiency that the part has.
    I also enjoy Epcot but for different reasons it is more of the adult side of me that enjoys that park.
    Without Disneyland which is basically the Magic Kingdom theme parks wouldn't exist the way they do today.
    Have you ever looked beyond today, into the future?
    Picturing a world, we've yet to see.
    The wonder of finding new ways,
    that lead to the promise of brighter days

Dead Men Tell No Tales

Post Thanks / Like

I am 55 and have been there 26 times since 1983. I can tell you one thing, you can't take the kid out of me. As long as I live I will keep going and this kid in me will never be bored...

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think it was my favorite by a long shot... until my trip last week when i spent a great deal of time in there and actually still missing being in there.

Guess i do have a favorite park afterall....and its MK
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpecJoe Magic View Post
    As much as I love the MK, I do feel that it is a bit, for lack of a better word, hokey (I hope that makes sense). I mean, think about it. Jungle Cruise, Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Haunted Mansion, etc. They are all classic attractions that are beloved by many, but they all have elements that are just plain goofy. To me, that's a big part of the appeal, but I can see how kids at those ages, especially first-time visitors, might not care for it.
    The nostalgia factor is a huge component. Today, you would never see a theme park anywhere else in the world build a new attraction that was essentially like It's a Small World or The Country Bear Jamboree. It really only works at Walt Disney World because those were mind-bending back in the day when they debuted and now they are a part of Americana. You can't mess with things from people's childhoods or you will hear screaming from the rooftops.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! Boring that’s harsh. I think kids that didn’t grow up going to Disney, don't get it. It is a feeling when you walk through the gates at MK & other parks. It’s a place to be a big kid and have fun. My kids have been going for years and just when I thought they were to old 18, 14 ( 6 yr old not included ) to really want to go again, they ask when is the next Disney trip..The thrill rides are awesome, but we also like to just sit on the side of the street and watch the parade go by. I hope my kids never get to old for Disney or complain about the workings of the park..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    WOW!! Boring that’s harsh. I think kids that didn’t grow up going to Disney, don't get it. It is a feeling when you walk through the gates at MK & other parks. It’s a place to be a big kid and have fun. My kids have been going for years and just when I thought they were to old 18, 14 ( 6 yr old not included ) to really want to go again, they ask when is the next Disney trip..The thrill rides are awesome, but we also like to just sit on the side of the street and watch the parade go by. I hope my kids never get to old for Disney or complain about the workings of the park..
    You just made me realize that everyone over the age of 18 in my family, including cousins, aunts and uncles all still love to go to Disney.

It's interesting that nobody has "grown out of it". Does that really happen?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMan View Post
    The nostalgia factor is a huge component. Today, you would never see a theme park anywhere else in the world build a new attraction that was essentially like It's a Small World or The Country Bear Jamboree. It really only works at Walt Disney World because those were mind-bending back in the day when they debuted and now they are a part of Americana. You can't mess with things from people's childhoods or you will hear screaming from the rooftops.
    This is true. No theme park anywhere else would think of creating a ride where you sit and watch animatronics move and sing as you ride by.

But I also don't think the other theme parks have the characters to buid those types of rides around.

Plus, there is too much need for a thrill element anymore. They would not spend the money on something so simple anymore unless it's just for a kiddie section of a park.

I wonder if Disney realizes that if they put the money into it, they could create a new all audio-animatronic attraction that would draw huge crowds of all ages if it were done correctly. It would just depend on the theme.

I bet a Star Wars version at the Hollywood Studios would be hugely popular.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no children of my own but have been down with DNiece a few times. The first time she went she was 4 and everything was overwhelming. Now she is 12 and has been down a couple more times, in fact we are going during the marathon weekend in January. She is a thrill junkie and loves all the coasters but if you ask her the first place she wants to go to is MK. There will be 2 kids going with us that have never been to WDW and she is really looking forward to showing them the ropes at MK. Also my DNephews will be going down. During their first trip they were 6 and 4. Now at 12 and 14 they also say they can't wait to see the MK again. These are two boys who are usually glued to their Xbox so I am in agreement with other posters that those kids must not have much imagination if they can't see the magic that is all around them at the MK.

Feb 26 - Mar 5, 2019 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept 13-19, 2015 at CBR
    Jan, 2011 - off site
    Jun 16-21, 2009, ASSports
    Dec. 7-13, 2008, Royal Plaza at DTD
    April 16-20, 2007 ASMusic
    Feb-Mar 2005 Off Site
    Oct. 1986 Ft. Wilderness 10th Anniv
    Oct. 1976 Honeymoon Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely not about rides. I cant tell you how many people I have tried to explain it to...that magic kingdom is not a six flags. you dont go there to hop on rides and go, "wheeeee" We just took my in laws for the first time and they had the same opinion...that they really loved the roller coasters and the thrill rides but that the rest was boring. There is a spirit and a magic to Disney World and a lot of it exists inside of Magic Kingdom. Im not sure I felt it on my first trip, when I was 12. For some reason, my memories of that trip are kind of sup-par, however, just walking down main street or sittin in on any attraction fills my senses with a feeling no other place can. It isnt about getting from point A to point B, its about enjoying the in betweens. Maybe some people need to learn how to see that, while others see it naturally.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

I think the replies to this post depends on how many times kids 10-18 have been to WDW before. We took our children for the first WDW trip when they were 4 & 6. Now they are 11 & 13. This past trip, we visited US and Is of Adv to see if that would replace WDW as their favorite park. They told us that besides the Harry Potter aspect, they didn't find US very fun. They told us they love WDW, and especially MK the best. I think it is because they've been almost every year for the past 7 years. WDW is full of family memories for them and that will carry with them into adulthood!

Maybe the first time you take them there does impact how much they enjoy it?
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: