Quantcast Universe of Energy - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We ride it every trip. Of course, we are old and easily amused.
    CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK TO WDW AND OKW!!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Universe of Energy. Granted, I love both Ellen and Bill Nye. But I think it's overall a cute show/ride, and I think that, especially now, the concept of energy and how we get it is VERY important to understand, even for children.

However, at this point the ride is pretty old. Some of the information is outdated. And any show is going to get repetitive after a decade of seeing it. I think this ride could use an update--but at the same time, I'm afraid of the "Imagination" treatment--I don't want the imagineers to take the charm and humor that currently exists in this ride out in an update. With my luck, it would turn into "Stitch's Universe of Energy," or something horrific like that.

Post Thanks / Like

We like it, it's very relaxing. The only thing I hate is when they tell you if you can't commit to the whole ride, you need to leave, because there will be no exiting. It makes me nervous, and I have to check my bladder and all systems before commiting.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

Too long .....5 mins of Dinos and the rest is nappy time :>)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Although I don't hate it, I only ride it if I'm with someone who wants to or has never seen it (rare.) But I wanted to address this part of your post... Please don't suggest this. I'm trying off the top of my head to think of one instance where a ride was gutted or demo'ed and the repalcement was better. Can't think of any.
    Going old school here but:

"Buzz light Years ranger Spin" is much better than "If you had wings"

"Stiches great escape", while not as good as "Extraterrorestrial encounter" is far better than "Mission to Mars", which was better than "Mission to the Moon."

And to be honest I don't even remember what "Mickey's Philharmagic" replaced, because I only went in it one time.

Unfortunately the imagineers are only people, they can not get it right all the time. If they were to replace "Ellen's Energy adventure" with something that was a flop, it will be replaced again within a few years. And just for the record "Test Track" is far more popular than "World of Motion" was especially near the end of the "World of Motions" life.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I still like UOE. Saying that, I agree with those of you hoping they are at least looking into the idea of updating it again. Whenever I think of EPCOT, I think of the future and cutting edge technology and information. With as hot a topic as energy is in our lives these days, UOE seems to be in need of an update - not a complete overhaul like Horizons or Motion, but an update.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me for not reading all the posts, but...
    "Ellen's Energy Adventure" is a HUGE HUGE update to the original "Universe of Energy" Which was MUCH slower and MUCH more ponderous - very, very heavy on the "Educational" aspects that EPCOT promoted when it first opened in 1982.

I have always loved this attraction in all of it's incarnations. I am in total awe of what the Imagineers did this this building, the concept of "Riding on Sunshine" (that's the way they promoted it in 1982). Those huge "cars" are being guided with a wire no wider than the lead in a pencil. Also, for their time, these dinosaurs were by FAR the most ambitious audio-animatronics of their time.

Do you realize the PLANTS you are looking at were recreated from FOSSILS??? Leave it to Disney to have a hundred details that no one ever notices.

Some of my enjoyment of a ride or attraction has nothing to do with how fast or slow it goes. For me, it's all about the artistry and the work of hundreds upon hundreds of incredible artists, engineers, designers and fabricators who pour their life-blood into "entertaining" us.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    Forgive me for not reading all the posts, but...
    "Ellen's Energy Adventure" is a HUGE HUGE update to the original "Universe of Energy" Which was MUCH slower and MUCH more ponderous - very, very heavy on the "Educational" aspects that EPCOT promoted when it first opened in 1982.
    I agree with you and know what you're saying. But if you think about it, the original version of the show was there from 1982 until 1996. They updated the show to change it a bit and to update the science in the show. The Ellen version of the show has been there as long as the original was. I'm just thinking there are more modern updates that could be included, which is what EPCOT is supposed to represent. It doesn't sound like something that's imminent, however. So in the meantime, I'll stop by to see Ellen from time to time!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in the camp of UoE fans - especially the original version. The new version is just too "jokey" for me (and yes, I do watch discovery channel documentaries).

I think it's one of those times where you have to leave the thrill rider in you at the door and enjoy the ride for what it is. Sure, the science is dated and the technology is getting long in the tooth, but it's a great ride.

Since they already marred it with the Ellen treatment, I say give it another (hopefully minor) refresh. But make it a refresh, not a redo.
    Next Trip: All Star Movies - Dec '11

09/11 - Disneyland
    12/07 - Caribbean Beach
    05/07 - Boardwalk
    05/05 - Port Orleans Riverside
    09/99 - Wilderness Lodge
    06/'97 - Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon!)
    1988 - Offsite
    early 80's - Golf Resort
    1979 - Polynesian
    1975 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1998 View Post
    "

"Stiches great escape", while not as good as "Extraterrorestrial encounter" is far better than "Mission to Mars", which was better than "Mission to the Moon."
    Mission to the Moon was so corny.....did they even collect a ticked for that ride?

AE was much different.......

As for Energy Adventure this is DH's fav ride in Epcot, so we have to go on it once. And usully when we are hot and tired and need a decent little resting with your eye open
    Candi, the Pooh fanatic!

4/2010 - Pop Century
    9/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2005 - Pop Century
    1/2004 - Offsite
    1/2001 - Offsite
    9/2000 - Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon
    5/1983 - Offsite
    Disneyland - 1980,1981,1982

Post Thanks / Like

I preferred the original, but this is one revision that is still pretty close to what Epcot's purpose was (once you get beyond the throwing in of celebrities).

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Test Track.
    NO WAY! Not everyone likes or can ride such a fast paced, jerky ride. World of Motion was for everyone and very interesting. Disney could always add a thrill ride somewhere. But they didn't have to take out World of Motion or Horizons for that matter. I agree with Scar. I can't think of one thing they have refurbed or recreated that is better than the original in any park especially the horrid mutation of most of Future World.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say there not really an attrraction that I really dislike that much at DL or WDW. I have to say that what they did to The Tiki room at WDW is a shame, but all in all it is ok. I like UoE, it is ralaxing and the kids learn something...=)
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

WDW is nothing, if not a place of trial and error. What's good for some is bad for others. I personally thought UE was ok. Is it a must-do for us each time...no. At one time, when our DD was younger, it was a great place to rest and relax in a dark cool attraction (sometimes even a power nap for her). I've never been on it that it wasn't capacity, so there must be a draw for alot of people. If we're walking by w/extra time on our hands, we'll duck in if the wait's not too long. I do like Ellen, Jamie Leigh, and the science guy.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I love this ride. Don't know what it is but it's one of my favorites. My wife usually uses the ride as a napping place, but oh well. Definitely a great place to get out of the heat for a while.
    PharmD
    Off Property 76,82,92,97,98,99
    ASMov 5/00,1/02,9/03,1/06,12/03,8/08
    ASSports 12/01
    ASMus 3/02,7/02
    PopCe 4/04,5/04,10/05
    PORS 10/06,10/10
    CSR 10/09
    POFQ 11/11
    CB 6/12
    CB 5/13
    Disney Fantasy 10/15

Next Renewal of Magic:
    PopCe 8/16

Post Thanks / Like

i cant believe such a negative post made it here to intercot!

Even though there are a few rides I dispise at WDW I would never completely bash one here. Everyone has their likes and dislikes so far be it from me to tell them what they like is no good.

UOE is a great ride for young and old, and God forbid you LEARN something!! So some of the jokes are corny and Ellen borders on annoying at times it is still a good experience. You get to go off to another time and place on this ride, and the fact that the theatre breaks up into moving cars is also cool. I ride it everytime I go, and will continue to do so.

There's enough negative in the world, so let's not focus on that here at Intercot.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

It was hot in May when we went on it and we really appreciated the A.C. My 16 year old son told us "You just don't get to see Bill Nye the science guy everyday, now do you?" He was very amused by the whole experience. Personally, I wouldn't do it again unless we were really tired or really hot.

Post Thanks / Like

It's one of our favorites. We go on it every time we go & are looking forward to riding it on our upcoming trip in December 2010.

I am glad not everyone DOES like the ride. I'd hate to see the lines if every one did

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by okw2006 View Post
    We ride it every trip. Of course, we are old and easily amused.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

My son (4 1/2 now) asks to ride every time we go. He loves the Dinosaurs! I like the 47 minutes of Air conditioned down time. I enjoy the ride, but usually use it to take a quick nap in the afternoon.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: